Why our mindsets are so different

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Frankly, "God" would be an improvement over a monarchy dependent on the mating habits of the European 1%.

Same old broken record....

Probably not much of an improvement. Besides, it is largely ceremonial and no real power.

Guest American Woman

You aren't concerned with your own president talking with God and taking orders, why would you worry where Canada's PM gets his motivation?

First of all, as I clearly stated, my own president didn't say what a Palestinian said he did; he denies having said it. There are no quotes from Bush, only a quote from a Palestinian saying that Bush said such and such. If I were to say, "The_Squid said to me, 'God spoke to me and said that it's ok for leaders to talk to God,'" is that a quote from you - or from me? Does it mean you said such a thing - or does it mean that I said it?

As for where Harper gets his motivation - that wasn't me worrying about it. Surprisingly, the people who are worried didn't consult me. Hard to believe, I know. wink.png

More hypocrisy.

Only in your head.

Personally, I think anyone who takes orders from God to do political things is a religious nutbar wh shouldn't hold office.

I wouldn't vote for anyone who said they take orders from God. Bush, however, never said any such thing. I still didn't vote for him. But personally, I have no respect for someone's viewpoint when they keep speaking as if Bush did say something he didn't say - and calls me a hypocrite for something that has nothing to do with my actual views and what I've clearly said.

Edited by American Woman

....I wouldn't vote for anyone who said they take orders from God. Bush, however, never said any such thing. I still didn't vote for him. But personally, I have no respect for someone's viewpoint when they keep speaking as if Bush did say something he didn't say - and calls me a hypocrite for something that has nothing to do with my actual views and what I've clearly said.

Agreed.....Bush Derangement Syndrome is alive and well even though the man left office almost four years ago.

Huge diff between our right wing and yours. Huge. Especially once they took power and went all moderate and all, because they like that power and don't want to get voted out. Everybody here from the right to the left is asking when Harper will finally unleash his secret agenda. He hasn't, because he knows he would immediately become an also ran. What keeps him in power is the split between the middle and the left here - they get more votes combined than the CPC does. But then the same is true in the US - your "left" (ie Eisenhower republicans) get more popular votes than your nut bars, yet the nut bars keep getting elected.

There never was a hidden agenda, that was all the libs and the media, making that shit up. It was typical left wing fear mongering.

There never was a hidden agenda, that was all the libs and the media, making that shit up. It was typical left wing fear mongering.

I'm one of those. You can't read his speech to Republicans to know he has a hidden agenda. But his primary agenda is power, so he's willing to put his hidden agenda on the back burner, because he knows he'd be voted out.

Just churches to store his pedophiles.

I don't know why you have such hate in your heart towards Christianity, perhaps you were hurt or worse in the church. Lashing out on a forum probably doesn't remove the offense for you, but perhaps it makes you feel a little better.

Just churches to store his pedophiles.
Smallc, as a Protestant would say, don't confuse Christianity with the Catholic Church.
Your head of state can't be a Catholic; ...
Huh? True but...
Yes...just as Canada's PM Chretien invoked God to win an election...
WTF?

B_C and AW, you may participate on this forum but you simply don't understand Canada. But I admire your American, Mark Twain, honesty.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman
Huh? True but..

Yeah, true - just as I said. And the "but" would be?

B_C and AW, you may participate on this forum but you simply don't understand Canada.

I see. But you and all the Canadians (and Finlander) going on about the U.S. "understand" the U.S. smile.png Such as those claiming Bush said what he didn't say, for example; and criticizing Americans for voting for a president who said what he didn't say. And those claiming Americans are ignorant while Canadians are so well traveled - and therefore so much more aware of what's going on in the world. Most of this thread, in other words. Got'cha. wink.png

I "understand" Canada a lot better than you may think. I may understand different aspects of it than you do, but I understand it.

Edited by American Woman

I don't know why you have such hate in your heart towards Christianity, perhaps you were hurt or worse in the church. Lashing out on a forum probably doesn't remove the offense for you, but perhaps it makes you feel a little better.

You don't know why I hate child abusers?

Ok then.

The King didn't rule? So what were they revolting against?

No, the King didn't rule; the Glorious Revolution took place 90 years before the American one. The colonists may not have had local democratic government and were governed, ultimately from Whitehall, but, in Whitehall, there was a parliament, cabinet, courts, and a civil service in place to collectively govern the Empire, not a King ruling all. The latter is the stuff of American myth.

There were a number of catalysts for the American Revolution; a lack of democratic participation in government--either locally, in London, or both--was one. Laws that granted certain protections to the Quebecois and First Nations were others.

[ed.: +]

Edited by g_bambino

.... not a King ruling all. The latter is the stuff of American myth.

Agreed, but the American colonists sought a formal redress of grievances through the reigning monarch, George III, who would later admit in writing that America was lost....he had bungled things badly. This is why the king became the focus of American myth.

Guest American Woman
The King didn't rule? So what were they revolting against?

They were revolting against taxation without representation in Parliament, and demanded the same rights as other British subjects.

Agreed, but the American colonists sought a formal redress of grievances through the reigning monarch, George III, who would later admit in writing that America was lost....he had bungled things badly. This is why the king became the focus of American myth.

Yep. He's known as "the King who lost America."

Edited by American Woman