Why our mindsets are so different

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
You read that in, I didnt opine or think so.

Good to know; I would have been surprised, and disappointed, if you did. I'm still not sure what your point was, but I guess it doesn't really matter..... tongue.png

Maybe you should go back and read it.....maybe not cheap to you.

Well, it isnt a cheap shot, to me or anyone else, unless some faux outrage or agenda is the end game.

One idiot equated Reagan to Stalin, but fortunately another member called him on it.

Yea...about that, no one equated Reagan to Stalin. Perhaps you have some thread in mind? It certainly isnt the one I posted.

Must be that other forum.

Anyhow,.....

on dennis miller some guys says something like "many people have said terrible things about reagan and maybe feel now that those things were imapropriate and bush has many of the same things said about him today"! hilarious! maybe we should revise history regarding the activities of hitler or stalin or pinochet! heck, they weren't all that bad... were they?

Not a thing there comparing the two.

OK...so it's not enough that I read your favorite thread from 7 years ago, but now I have to agree with your interpretation as well.

Oh not at all. I didnt even know it existed, you remembered it and mentioned it, I looked it up.

The interpretation arrived at is fine. The words were there for anyone to read and see that no such criticism existed.

Methinks this rabbit hole has come to an end.

It was that way when you mis-remembered it .

Oh not at all. I didnt even know it existed, you remembered it and mentioned it, I looked it up.

No, I was not a member in 2004 nor did I remember that particular thread. It was 100% your trip down memory lane.

The interpretation arrived at is fine. The words were there for anyone to read and see that no such criticism existed.

It was that way when you mis-remembered it .

See above....President Reagan still got his grand state funeral...Stalin or not.

Separating head of state with head of govt seems like a good idea. Head of govt is a politician who's going to get mud on his shoes. Head of state should be above that.

That would have come in awfully handy during the Watergate scandal. Nixon took certain actions that dis-entitled him to continue in office before the end of June 1972. He was able to keep a lid on things for a while. However, by early March 1973 it was apparent to any intelligent person that he could no longer function as President. He finally resigned on August 8, 1974, after his vote count to survive a removal trial (which follows impeachment) dropped to four (4), whereas 33 would be needed to survive.
Look at the mindless veneration of the US pres at times, willing to follow him into useless wars, support my pres, right or wrong, etc (because pres = country). Only with Obama has his race lessened that crap a bit, because is usually flows from the right, where the racists seem to hang out. The white ones,. anyway.

My views are, notwithstanding the above, torn on this issue. Reagan's fantastic assumption of the monarchical role stood us in good stead during his term in office. Sometimes having the combined role helps ensure that the country's overall interest is first and foremost, whereas a mere political leader is first the head of his or her party and then Prime Minister.

I am not sure then that the fact that the U.S. has had a few "rogue" Presidents necessitates breaking apart the roles.

• 1 year later...

Of course.....as is the case for Canada, more Finns have emigrated to the U.S. than Americans to Finland. It's not hard to understand why.

Old schtick, new twist, same troll.
The difference, and this is a credit to Canada, is that there is a two-way migration. The migration may somewhat favor the U.S. but by no means is it unusual for an American to emigrate to Canada or move back and forth. With Finland not so much. With North Korea or the Islamic State in Iraq and Syria even less.

The difference, and this is a credit to Canada, is that there is a two-way migration. The migration may somewhat favor the U.S. .....

True, except that the net migration favors the U.S. by a large margin without any doubt, made even more significant by the much larger population of the United States. Statistics Canada has documented such trends:

http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/11-008-x/2010002/article/11287-eng.htm