Mass shooting

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think the sanctity of human means much less to society than it used to. Shootings like this never used to occur. What a tragedy.

I'm not so sure about that. The worse school violence for fatalities in the U.S. happened in 1927 at Bath, Michigan. It was a bombing by a tax protester and 38 kids were killed, along with 7 adults and many others injured. But there was no internet or cable TV.

I think the sanctity of human means much less to society than it used to. Shootings like this never used to occur. What a tragedy.

Well, not a shooting (truck bomb), but the worst school massacre remains the one in Bath, Michigan in 1927. And for percentage of students killed, the shooting in Greencastle, PA in 1764 resulted in only 3 students surviving with 9 or 10 dead. So, I don't we should ideolize the past by elevating it (or degrading society today) without justification.

(edit: I see bush-cheney beat me to it)

Edited by Wayward Son

I'm not so sure about that. The worse school violence for fatalities in the U.S. happened in 1927 at Bath, Michigan. It was a bombing by a tax protester and 38 kids were killed, along with 7 adults and many others injured. But there was no internet or cable TV.

Perhaps those interested could do a count of such attacks each decade since 1900. See if the number stays within a range every decade or something like that. Pointed out one attack doesn't really give much in the way of context. It was announced earlier today that this was the worst attack of its kind in US history.

I may be going out on a limb here, but I really think that in a society where babies are found in dumpsters the sanctity of life isn't as as rich.

....I may be going out on a limb here, but I really think that in a society where babies are found in dumpsters the sanctity of life isn't as as rich.

There have been over 430 homicides in Chicago this year, many were school kids. Just because it's mass murder on one day in suburban CT doesn't change the overall math. Gun homicide rates are actually down in the U.S.

Read this tweet today and it hit home. "The wider tragedy is how culturally we have come to expect mass murder. Columbine didn't change us. It conditioned us." I think there is some truth to that. Every time this happens, the quicker we seem to get over it.

That is spot on and appalling as hell.

Another thing to consider: nearly the exact same thing happened today in China as well. Almost the exact same amount of kids were attacked. Except the guy in China had a knife. Most of the children, although injured, survived. Food for thought.

Edited by cybercoma

There have been over 430 homicides in Chicago this year, many were school kids. Just because it's mass murder on one day in suburban CT doesn't change the overall math. Gun homicide rates are actually down in the U.S.

Pop the cork. Only hundreds of school kids were murdered in Chicago alone. Something's working. :rolleyes:

Guest American Woman
I don't think this talk about "Americans this, Americans that" is going to get us anywhere. I know us Europeans are excused for making such generalisations but I would have thought that Canadians knew better than that.

I used to think so too. Now I know better.

I agree. It's funny, but Americans are one of the few identifiable groups left that it is permissible to tar with one brush.

That's the truth, and sometimes it's difficult to understand.

This is a real tragedy. Very sad when young children are involved.

How could such an horrific event occur? I remember the mother who drowned her three children in the bathtub.

When you hear about such an event what is your immediate thought? For some, it might be there needs to be greater gun control. For others, it might be that there needs to be easier access to mental health.

I heard Barack Obama speak on the incident today and he vowed something would be done about these too frequent incidents. Does anyone wonder what his immediate thought was? I shudder to think how the second amendment will be tempered.

There is generally a psychiatrist and/or psychiatric drugs connected to the vast majority of these bizarre incidents. Columbine, Ft. Hood, Batman movie.

Has anyone read the labels on psychiatric drugs? The mother who drowned her kids didn't have a gun but she was taking anti-depressants.

Come on! It's time to make the connection and target the right source - drugs.

Apparently the gunman suffered from Asperger syndrome. The handguns were his mother's. Not sure how stricter gun laws would have prevented this tragedy.

Right...the handguns were legal and registered. The Bushmaster .223 may have been grandfathered in or obtained in another state (they are now banned in CT).

Guest American Woman

Right...the handguns were legal and registered. The Bushmaster .223 may have been grandfathered in or obtained in another state (they are now banned in CT).

I'm not familiar with types of guns - why is the Bushmaster .223 banned in Connecticut? I had read that the weapons used were A Sig Sauer handgun and a Glock handgun.

Edited by American Woman

Guest American Woman

Maybe if they were stricter, his mother wouldn't have had a pair of semi automatic handguns. Just a thought.

So no Canadians own semi automatic handguns? More to the point - only Americans own semi automatic handguns?

I think that is a grossly unfair post.

Why? 88 guns per 100 American civilians. That's 270 million guns owned by civilians. The US has a massive gun culture, rooted in its history (legal and otherwise) and the nature of its founding, but also the massive militarization of the country that takes pride/patriotism in the weapons of war it creates/uses.

Many Americans are obsessed with portable murder machines, and see it as a right to own them and train how to use them.

Edited by Moonlight Graham