Mass shooting

Just because something does not provide an all-inclusive, ideal solution to a problem does not mean it's a useless, bad idea. But before anyone can say this happened because of easy access to guns, the whole story needs to be heard. Maybe he already had legal access to guns before he did this.

On the other hand I like the idea that new guns cannot be purchased quickly, in certain circumstances. Gun control may not eliminate violence but might prevent someone from doing something violently, in the "heat of passion".

Aren't there mandatory waiting periods before one can obtain a legal firearm to prevent people from getting a gun to commit a crime of passion?

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Making it harder for people to obtain guns do not reduce the violence either. Don't forget criminals don't care about any gun law and will obtain a gun one way or another.

Were these guns legally owned that this person used?

Stricter gun controls will make these killing sprees more rare, which would be a good thing, no?

It's been shown that guns in homes are more often used against family or an innocent person 43x more often than for self defense. Here is a site that shows scientific evidence of how guns are actually used. http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/research/hicrc/firearms-research/gun-threats-and-self-defense-gun-use/index.html

Stricter gun controls will make these killing sprees more rare, which would be a good thing, no?

It's been shown that guns in homes are more often used against family or an innocent person 43x more often than for self defense. Here is a site that shows scientific evidence of how guns are actually used. http://www.hsph.harv...-use/index.html

Well that's not an apples to apples comparison. You could easily murder a former lived one via other means, conversely not ever having to use a gun for self defense doesn't mean owning it doesn't still provide that value.

We see from newsworthy event in Toronto this summer that gun crime is more likely to happen because of socio-economic reason. Like drugs, gangs and poverty.

But it only creates this massive outcry for gun control when gun crime happens in somewhat affluent areas like, say, Tucson Arizona, Boulder Colorado or Newtown, Connecticut.

Well that's not an apples to apples comparison. You could easily murder a former lived one via other means, conversely not ever having to use a gun for self defense doesn't mean owning it doesn't still provide that value.

Yes, but you can't kill 30 people with a knife. You don't get that?

Stricter gun controls would make these less frequent and less deadly. No, it's not a cure-all, but it would help.

It's not just about guns.... What about mental health support funding? My guess is that might get better now that there is some form of universal coverage in the states, but I don't know for sure. Would be interesting to find out.

We see from newsworthy event in Toronto this summer that gun crime is more likely to happen because of socio-economic reason. Like drugs, gangs and poverty.

But it only creates this massive outcry for gun control when gun crime happens in somewhat affluent areas like, say, Tucson Arizona, Boulder Colorado or Newtown, Connecticut.

The shooting sprees have not been poor people and drug addicts from inner cities.... :rolleyes:

Strict Gun Laws in Toronto didn't prevent the Danzig Street Party shooting this summer.

There isn't a simple answer to preventing crime like this.

I can remember two mass shootings in Canada in all my life whereas the US is starting to trend toward 2 or 3 per year.

I realise their population is tenfold but the number of mass shootings is still disproportionate per capita.

Guest American Woman

I can remember two mass shootings in Canada in all my life whereas the US is starting to trend toward 2 or 3 per year.

I realise their population is tenfold but the number of mass shootings is still disproportionate per capita.

That's because incidents like this don't rise proportionately per capita. In the U.S. or Canada.

Just because something does not provide an all-inclusive, ideal solution to a problem does not mean it's a useless, bad idea. But before anyone can say this happened because of easy access to guns, the whole story needs to be heard. Maybe he already had legal access to guns before he did this.

It's about the culture of violence that it feeds into.

I think that is a grossly unfair post.

No it's not, they have more mass shootings per capita than any other civilized nation.

They want to deny it's their gun-laws, then it's somehting in the water I suppose because it doesn't seem to happen at this rate anywhere else.

No, but that's where a good majority of the gun crime in both Canada and the US happen. Shooting Sprees like this are rare, that's why they're so shocking.

So rare that

Three people were killed in a shooting spree at an Oregon mall a few days ago.

Twelve people were killed during the Batman premier.

Seven people were killed in that Sikh temple.

...and those are just the ones that immediately come to mind.

No it's not, they have more mass shootings per capita than any other civilized nation.

They want to deny it's their gun-laws, then it's somehting in the water I suppose because it doesn't seem to happen at this rate anywhere else.

It's the culture of violence that they have. Their gun laws only feed into it. What do you expect from a state that still murders its citizens as a criminal punishment?

Yes, because it's the second amendment that makes people do this sort of thing. rolleyes.gif

The second amendment and the massive industry built around ensuring a law put in place in the age of cap and ball muskets as a check against tyranny now ensures mentally ill psychos have access to high-powered automatic weapons enables this sort of thing.

Seems that way. I heard even Obama shy'd away from discussing gun control laws today. I think it's too ingrained in their culture for them to consider major gun control reform. It's their second amendment! The most import thing is freedom of religion and speech, second; the right to own a gun. It seems silly to us looking on the outside because we don't have a gun culture. Almost as silly as government run healthcare probably seems to them.

Yup. A high number of gun deaths is not a bug in the system. It's a feature.

I doubt this incident will change the opinions of people who support the second amendment. In fact I suspect it'll strengthen their resolve. They'll think perhaps this man could have been stopped if someone in that school was armed as well.

This is dragged out after every one of these shootings but it never happens. Our countries will never see eye to eye on this so I have come to the conclusion there is no point in even bringing it up.

Mexico ?

Mexico's development index is high but it's not considered a first-class country.

Also, I'm not talking about overall gun killings (including criminals killing each other) I'm talking about mass-shootings where a mentally ill person with access to guns kills innocent people for no reason.

That happens more per capita in the US than any other first-class nation.

Edited by BC_chick