Mass shooting

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Then something has gone terribly wrong within Vancouver, since the per capita murder rate is so much higher than Mayberry, USA.

Understand?

You still missed the point about the 'something going wrong within your borders'.

That's *if* there is no correlation between your gun-laws and mass-shootings.

However, I believe there is a correlation. IOW, I'm being sarcastic when I say then it's something else that's gone wrong within your borders.

You really don't understand?!?

It makes sense in the context it's being discussed. Try reading beyond the portion of my post that you quoted.

It makes complete sense. Something can rise or not rise proportionately to a proportion.

Obviously cybercoma isn't exactly a math genius, so I'll provide an example:

0.00001 murders per capita in city A is a proportion. 100 murders in city B is a number.

If there is an increase to 200 murders in city B, then city A's per capita murder rate doesn't have to proportionately rise to 0.00002 simply because it is a proportion.

You still missed the point about the 'something going wrong within your borders'.

That's *if* there is no correlation between your gun-laws and mass-shootings.

However, I believe there is a correlation. IOW, I'm being sarcastic when I say then it's something else that's gone wrong within your borders.

You really don't understand?!?

Oh, she understands. That's why she wants to change the unit of analysis from national to local.

Oh, she understands. That's why she wants to change the unit of analysis from national to local.

I'm not so sure, CC but I give up. Anyone who denies the use of per capita within a discussion on crime should not be taken seriously.

Reading the two posts from you and CPCFTW I realised how irrational she's being.

Guest American Woman

I'm not so sure, CC but I give up. Anyone who denies the use of per capita within a discussion on crime should not be taken seriously.

So then you agree, given that Vancouver has a much higher per capita murder rate than Mayberry USA, that there is something really, terribly wrong with Vancouver - RIGHT?

Gun control is just not an option for a people raised from birth with the Hollywood mythos of the heroic man and his gun protecting himself and his family and bringing the evildoer to justice. It's nuts, but there's no way you're going to convince Americans they are safer without millions of assault rifles on the streets.

What they ought to do, however, as should we, is strengthen our treatment in the area of mental health. We also lag terribly in that area, and by and large when these kinds of things happen it emerges that the killer had all kinds of mental health issues.

Guest American Woman
What they ought to do, however, as should we, is strengthen our treatment in the area of mental health. We also lag terribly in that area, and by and large when these kinds of things happen it emerges that the killer had all kinds of mental health issues.

Some disorders, such as schizophrenia, don't develop until about the age of this gunman, so sometimes it's not even apparent that there is a problem until something terrible happens. I don't know if that's the case in this instance, but sometimes there's not a 'history' of mental health issues, so to speak.

As for this:

Gun control is just not an option for a people raised from birth with the Hollywood mythos of the heroic man and his gun protecting himself and his family and bringing the evildoer to justice. It's nuts, but there's no way you're going to convince Americans they are safer without millions of assault rifles on the streets.

Don't presume to speak for Americans. You don't know how "Americans" have been "raised from birth," and this quote pretty much proves it.

Edited by American Woman

Some disorders, such as schizophrenia, don't develop until about the age of this gunman, so sometimes it's not even apparent that there is a problem until something terrible happens. I don't know if that's the case in this instance, but sometimes there's not a 'history' of mental health issues, so to speak.

Sometimes, but you rarely hear of someone who is fine one day, get schizophrenia the next, and is off shooting people the day after. These things come on and are noticed, and often enough relatives try to get treatment for the individual but fail.

Don't presume to speak for Americans. You don't know how "Americans" have been "raised from birth," and this quote pretty much proves it.

I'm not speaking FOR Americans. I'm speaking ABOUT Americans. As a people, you're all wrapped up in the myths you learned from Hollywood, not just about guns but a lot of things. And reality is the farthest thing from your minds.

I'm not speaking FOR Americans. I'm speaking ABOUT Americans. As a people, you're all wrapped up in the myths you learned from Hollywood, not just about guns but a lot of things. And reality is the farthest thing from your minds.

They ALL are huh. rolleyes.gif

Besides, Hollywood has nothing to do with it. A country having to literally fight a war for their independence has much more significance, and is illustrated in their founding documents.

Edited by Shady

Guest American Woman

Then you suck just as bad speaking ABOUT Americans as you do speaking FOR Americans. biggrin.png

I don't think this talk about "Americans this, Americans that" is going to get us anywhere. I know us Europeans are excused for making such generalisations but I would have thought that Canadians knew better than that.

I don't think this talk about "Americans this, Americans that" is going to get us anywhere. I know us Europeans are excused for making such generalisations but I would have thought that Canadians knew better than that.

Why? Surely you have seen here that "Americans this, Americans that" is essential to establishing and communicating opinion about the Canadian identity. Norway didn't have any reason to do this after their shooting spree.

I agree. It's funny, but Americans are one of the few identifiable groups left that it is permissible to tar with one brush.