Syrian Civil War

When oil is $200 per barrel and gas is $5/ltr(with all of the resulting chaos as our food supply dries up) people like you will care but it will be too late.

Our adventures in the middle east dont reduce the price of oil they raise them.

Edited by dre

Guest American Woman

Apparently most Americans oppose military intervention in Syria. I just don't see how using deadly chemicals on civilians, little children, can be ignored by the rest of the world. I realize that there likely aren't any easy answers, but as I said earlier, in light of his talk of a "red line," I'd think Obama would have had some sort of idea of how he was going to deal with it when the time came.

Apparently most Americans oppose military intervention in Syria. I just don't see how using deadly chemicals on civilians, little children, can be ignored by the rest of the world. I realize that there likely aren't any easy answers, but as I said earlier, in light of his talk of a "red line," I'd think Obama would have had some sort of idea of how he was going to deal with it when the time came.

I generally chide Obama for drawing "red lines." In this case the only option, and not good one, is to recolonize the area. These people are not yet ready for self-government.

When oil is $200 per barrel and gas is $5/ltr(with all of the resulting chaos as our food supply dries up) people like you will care but it will be too late.

True, but that's when they fall back to their blaming the rich and evil oil companies, etc. so it works for them to push their leftist ideology.

Sometimes it's really not about the oil. People are dying and their lives are worth more than what it cost me to fill my gas tank.

I generally chide Obama for drawing "red lines." In this case the only option, and not good one, is to recolonize the area. These people are not yet ready for self-government.

So where was this red line the last couple incidents of alleged chemical weapons? Does it depend on who is using the chemical weapons? I suspect this will be another failure on Obama to call for intervention.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/middleeast/syria/10039672/UN-accuses-Syrian-rebels-of-chemical-weapons-use.html

"According to the testimonies we have gathered, the rebels have used chemical weapons, making use of sarin gas," del Ponte, a former war crimes prosecutor, said in an interview with Swiss radio late on Sunday.

"We still have to deepen our investigation, verify and confirm (the findings) through new witness testimony, but according to what we have established so far, it is at the moment opponents of the regime who are using sarin gas," she added.

Their evidence that Assad using chemical weapons better be very solid. The mistakes of Iraq are still fresh in many people's minds.

So really, what DO you do if the rebels are the ones using the chemical weapons? What kind of line would you draw there without looking like a blatant hypocrite.

And how long before we get another incident like this were they decide they need to draw another line. The goalposts keep changing.

The goalposts may move but not the playing field. The region has been characterized for decades as a powder-keg. At what point does the world get it that it's finally blowing up in our faces? This inevitability has been barrelling downhill towards us for years.

As lame as Obama sometimes appears at least he seems to realize that more outside interference is like throwing more good money after bad. That said, if there is anyone or thing we should be interfering with at this stage it's Russia's unrepentant support for Assad.

The age of diddling needs to end and if it takes a diddler to stop a diddler then so be it.

So where was this red line the last couple incidents of alleged chemical weapons? Does it depend on who is using the chemical weapons? I suspect this will be another failure on Obama to call for intervention.

My point is that announcing "red lines" and then backing away signals weakness or indecision. There may be good reasons not to get involved.

Gevalt. Political correctness is not your forte.

It is not up to any of us to take on this superiority complex that we are noble and Syrians are savages in need of bwana to lead them from their savage ways to the ways of we pink people. Come on with the 1950's colonial talk.

Syria is a deeply divided nation precisely because the French and British artificially drew up the boards of countries like Syria, Lebanon et al to force feuding tribes to live in the same country to justify their colonial presence and stance of -if its not for us continuing to administer them-they would eat each other.

What we are talking about is finding a way so that Syrians can peacefully solve between themselves any problems they have.

Syrians have sufficient numbers of sane, educated, rational, people. To typecast them all as savages in need of colonialization-uh no thanks.

There is a serious humanitarian issue at this time. We have two entities engaged in a civil war that will not end. Its stalemated. with infinite amounts of finance for the current regime coming from Iran and the same to the other side by Saudi Arabia-this war will not end, and this civil war directly involves Russia, Europe, the US, Iran, Israel, Jordan, Egypt, Lebanon.

It is part of an on-going war for control of all Middle East Arab nations between Sunnis and Shiites. What we see is a not so subtle coalition of the Egyptian military regime, Saudi Arabia, the Gulf states, Israel and Jordan on one side, with Iran, Hezbollah controlled Lebanon and Syria on the other side.

Then we have the Muslim brotherhoods in Syria, Egypt and Turkey who hate everyone equally.

We have a war between religious Sunni and religious Shiite and at the same time non religious Western oriented Muslims ( Shiite and Sunni) v.s. reliigious/fundamentalist Muslims both Shiite and Muslim. We also have a war between fundamentalist Muslims in Egypt against Coptic Christians, an on-going war between Turkey and the Kurds, and continuing tensions with Berbers, Assyrians, Bahaiis, Orthodox Christians, Jews, Druze in Sharia law nations.

The sub-plots are complex. To think the UN can walk in to the Middle East and go presto-all you savages behave is b.s.

The best that can be done is to bomb the chemical missile sites and ammunition sites of the Syrian regime and unfortunately at that point what is going to happen in Syria happens and has happened in the Middle East over and over-chaos and bloodshed until a new Hitler arises from the military to turn Syria back into the police state it was before Assad lost control.

Bashir Assad the moment he took over from his father, was a dead man. He was and remains no different then the little fat boy in North Korea-a stooge-a prop from a left over tyrant. These tyrants saw themselves as Kings but these Kings whether they be Ghaddafi, Hussein, Assad left behind dysfunctional children incapable of continuing the bloodshed in the same manner.

These tyrants ruled by fear not respect. Their children who take over from them did not inherit respect, just repressed hatred for their fathers from their subjects,

As for the UN its ineptitude in sending in people AFTER the fact when all evidence of a chemical attack have now been erased testifies as to its uselessness.

Edited by Rue

Gevalt. Political correctness is not your forte.

It is not up to any of us to take on this superiority complex that we are noble and Syrians are savages in need of bwana to lead them from their savage ways to the ways of we pink people. Come on with the 1950's colonial talk.

That's why we should be going for the the real culprits here, the big powerful nations that have been diddling with Syria for years - Russia and China. You pull the support they give Assad and the conflict in Syria would soon come to an end.

We should have been applying trade sanctions against Russia and China long ago, but its also something we could start doing tomorrow. We need to get back to some of that old 1950's Cold War talk.

Of course we're no more noble than Russia or China so I guess we should expect the same treatment for all the diddling our side does. At least we could claim we took the high road first.

Edited by eyeball

Eyeball... so we essentially have another proxy war.

Western type nations (and some not so western types) and East type nations. Using the nice divide between the Shiites, and Sunnis and playing them off each other for the gains of the backers.

If you call for China/Russia to stop arming Assad, then we must also call the western nations (US UK) and other entities like Saudi Arabia and Qatar to stop arming the rebels.

If this was in fact a real civil war to begin with, no one would have given support for either side.

But here is the thing, Russia is an ally of Syria. So as NATO members are expected to assist each other, we see the same thing happening on the other side of this equation. Calling on Russia/China to stop arming/assisting Assad is like asking the west to stop arming/funding the rebels.

So let's now officially call it a proxy war, because there was no civil war to begin with.

GH... there are only the dregs of a planet left for the taking and the UN's Insecurity Council is more like NAMBLA on an international scale.

We live in a defacto state of co-dominium of big powers and we've merely chosen to cling to the illusion that we're still suffering from the competing and seemingly irreconcilable interests of the old Cold War days. Now its all about the money.

Whatever else it is that's happening in Syria and the surrounding region, I'd say it's more like the inevitably highly dysfunctional outcome that follows a protracted period of painful degrading abuse, much like that which the victims of diddlers display when they finally implode/explode.

Edited by eyeball

Now its all about the money.

Of course it is. When was it NOT about money? You are right there is no more cold war, but we are still buying into that there is a division between the east and west. Behind the scenes they are both the same. The problems of the countries are the same. Economy, health care, people's rights ect ect.

Have them switch places and Obama is exactly like Putin and vice versa. Yes the UN is ineffective and was always meant to be.

The real players and culprits are the bankers. Banksters to be more appropriate. Russia and the US both go into debt to these international bankers while fighting each other. Both the USA and Russia will lose in the end and the bankers always, ALWAYS come out on top.

Someone is making money off this war in Syria, that much we can be sure of, but the question is .. who?

I say it's the Bilderberg Group! Seriously GH, your posts are becoming more and more delusional. Obama's just like Putin huh? We have the exact same problems huh? LOL, whatever dude. When you make ridiculous nonsensical statement like that, you lose whatever credibility you had left.

I say it's the Bilderberg Group! Seriously GH, your posts are becoming more and more delusional. Obama's just like Putin huh? We have the exact same problems huh? LOL, whatever dude. When you make ridiculous nonsensical statement like that, you lose whatever credibility you had left.

You are attacking my credibility? You?

Sometimes it's really not about the oil. People are dying and their lives are worth more than what it cost me to fill my gas tank.

Right you are! And some will only start to care when the gas prices sky rocket, etc, at which point it would mostly be too late to do anything about the dying.