Romney, The Inevitable Nominee

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That's a common misconception. He was for a structured bankruptcy, which eventually happened, and which is why they're preforming better now. He was against the tens of billions of dollars given to GM and Chrysler before restructuring. Which basically went down the toilet and just delayed their restructuring for several months more.

:lol:

Mitt "I know bizness" Romney - Nov18,2008:

"
If General Motors, Ford and Chrysler get the bailout that their chief executives asked for yesterday, you can kiss the American automotive industry goodbye. It won’t go overnight, but
its demise will be virtually guaranteed
"

"Romney structured bankruptcy" => aka, cut worker wages and pensions and reduce retiree benefits

Mitt "I know bizness" Romney:

"I have several prescriptions for Detroit’s automakers.

First, their huge disadvantage in costs relative to foreign brands must be eliminated. That means
new labor agreements to align pay and benefits
to match those of workers at competitors like BMW, Honda, Nissan and Toyota.
Furthermore, retiree benefits must be reduced
so that the total burden per auto for domestic makers is not higher than that of foreign producers."

yabut Shady... Romney guaranteed the demise of the auto industry - Romney knows bizness!

Actually, that was part of the restructuring that occured. Under the Obama administration. :)

cite?... my read has wages & benefits for new workers were reduced. Are you saying these company decisions were imposed by the Obama admin?

They also closed down hundreds of dealerships too. Under the Obama administration. :)

Chrysler severed relations with 25% of its dealerships... again, are you saying this company decision was imposed by the Obama admin?

Going from Bush to Obama hasn't changed things much. I doubt that going from Obama to Romney would change much either. Choosing between the Democrats and the Republicans is like choosing between AIDS and cancer.

They are similar on many things, but to say things haven't changed much??? Were you in a coma from 2001-2009? There is a difference. They are both puppets of the machine, but at least one is somewhat competent.

Surprised it was so close in Michigan, and a bit surprised Santorum didn't take more hits in Michigan from his crummy Arizona debate and did as well as he did while Gingrich is basically toast. What a flip in momentum, what fickle voters.

Romney is still going to win the nomination hands-down though. Santorum is unelectable in a general election. He makes McCain look like Abe Lincoln.

What can I say? Capitalism sucks!

Really? Then why do you stay?

Maybe not him, but many people are striking out in leaky rafts going from Florida to Cuba. And South Koreans are attempting to flee to North Korea in droves.

Because I was born here!

If you have a problem with the First Amendment than what are you doing on a political posting board?

And does Canada have a First Amendment?

The hostile environment of expanding exploration and production? Huh?

Clearly, the Obama Administration has been quite hostile to just about anything that would increase U.S. energy supply. Such an increase would give lie to his mantra of a shrinking pie, and redistribution.

Clearly, the Obama Administration has been quite hostile to just about anything that would increase U.S. energy supply. Such an increase would give lie to his mantra of a shrinking pie, and redistribution.

I wonder what 6 dollar gas this summer will do to his perceived performance?

Yahoo! News

Mitt Romney has all but won the 2012 Republican presidential nomination, top senator Lindsey Graham said Sunday, agreeing with the candidate that "mathematically, this thing is about over."

Romney has won 14 of 25 state-by-state votes that decide which Republican candidate takes on President Barack Obama in November, compared to eight wins for Rick Santorum and just two for former House speaker Newt Gingrich.

These victories have given Romney almost 40 percent of the 1,144 delegates needed to secure the nomination. He has 446 delegates, Santorum 199 and Gingrich 117, according to authoritative poll aggregator RealClearPolitics.

"Mathematically, Rick would have to win 75 percent of what remains," Graham, a senior Republican who serves on various Senate committees, told ABC's "This Week" program.

And now the Republican with the best chance of winning can challenge the incumbent for the presidency.

Doesn't that make the most sense ?

Yahoo! News

And now the Republican with the best chance of winning can challenge the incumbent for the presidency.

Doesn't that make the most sense ?

I’d lean toward Romney taking the nom too but I think there is still a chance Newt bows to pressure and gets out. Newt might be swayed by something like a Sec. of State promise from Santorum. Who knows. I'm not saying it is likely that Romney doesn't win but one on one I think this whole thing changes. I'm also reluctant to listen to the moderate Graham talk about Romney.

Again, not to disagree just for the sake of disagreeing but I'm not 100% convinced that Santorum wouldn't do well in the rust belt against Obama. He could get the base juiced up in a way that (so far) Romney can't. And I'm not a Santorum fan but I see how he appeals to some voters. Although, I'm sure many here will call me crazy for even suggesting that.

Just something to think about.

Here is an interesting piece on how Romney doesn't get to 1144.

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/articles/2012/03/09/romney_really_might_not_have_the_delegates_by_june.html

No... it's more like 25%.

The Romney Campaign must have miscounted when they released their press release yesterday saying he needs to take 50% of the remaining delegates then eh? What an incompetent campaign can't even count how many delegates they need. Why would anyone vote for them?

I dont see why you would think that the candidate that gets the most delegates has the "best chance of winning"?

The reasoning is that the states that Romney loses on the grounds that he's not "conservative enough" will not, under any conditions, go Democratic. Romney stands to do better in "swing states" such as Ohio, Virginia and Florida than Santorum or Gingrich.

The reasoning is that the states that Romney loses on the grounds that he's not "conservative enough" will not, under any conditions, go Democratic. Romney stands to do better in "swing states" such as Ohio, Virginia and Florida than Santorum or Gingrich.

He does not stand a better chance in Virginia,or Ohio (especially not Ohio with its 150,000 direction Auto jobs) I just can not believe people buy into that lie. Romney stands no better chance then Santorum in any of these "swing states" because of his past stance on policy and because of who he is and how he acts. I mean Michigan is off the table already because of Romney.