Gay history to become required subject in California schools

http://www.christianpost.com/news/calif-is-first-state-to-force-gay-history-into-classrooms-52334/

Now, don't get me wrong, I have nothing against gay people. They should not be discriminated against and should enjoy the same legal rights as all others.

However, forcing "gay history" as a subject in schools? History should be history, and teach important historical events. People these days come out of public schools having almost no clue about important events that shaped the present world, like the World Wars and the Cold War. And now we are gonna be wasting time on "gay history" just to be politically correct? In a time of growing economic pressure from around the world, schools need to be focusing on teaching students about things that make them competitive in the global marketplace: science, engineering, technology, math, economics, law, and international cultures and history. Not wasting their time on gay activism and other such causes.

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Another hot button topic- here we go again. Indirectly I am going to get a gay history lesson. I don't know what use it will be to me at this point or a young person begining their life. Do I have to know that the bundle of wood used to be called a faggot of wood..that when they burned a witch..they would toss on a few faggots of wood to keep the flames intense. When the wood ran low they would snatch up any male that seemed a tad female and toss them on the fire for good measure...

Do I have to hear how the Nazis wanted to rid the world of Slavic people such as myself - that the Nazi agenda also included the genocide of Jews - homosexuals - blacks - the mentally under developed?

There you go tell the kids this and let it be over...just don't include one group such as gays - and exclude blacks - or Jews or "retarded" people. Just don't like to centralize or focus on one group _ If they teach gay history...please don't tell me about the killing of the first gay mayor in San Francisco - and not mention that 20 million Ukraininas starved to death by Stalin.

I guess the crux of my irkdom is in the possiblity that these kids will think that the destruction of human rights and dignity is all about gays - and no one esle - such a required subject matter in Californian schools will create one sided stupid people. A full and rounded out edcation is a must - but Califorinia is America and America is not about giving the kids real awareness or a full and rounded education..The kids will all believe that the only evil in the world is the abuse of gays...there are many more evils to be explored.

That certainly would seem excessive. However, your title and the article title are also somewhat misleading, I think. Rather than teaching gay history specifically, it seems more that they are to include the "gayness" that is already there. I mean, World War II history is taught (perhaps poorly) everywhere, but if you are going to include a section on the Enigma machine in that history, then when not also include a note on Alan Turing?

Guest American Woman

I have mixed feelings about this. I can't tell if it's so much that "gay history" is going to be taught, ie: the fight for equality, or if it's going to be that gays are going to be represented in history as Blacks, Native Americans, Asians, etc. are. If that's the case, how is that to be done? I wouldn't think that gay's contributions have been ignored, just not attributed to someone who is "gay." And is that necessary? - Do we now have to include people's sexual preferences along with their accomplishments? I find the whole thing to be rather ambiguous, but since textbooks aren't expected to be updated until 2015, that will allow some time to figure out what all it will include.

Also, did they say what ages gay history will start with? That would be an issue, I would think.

That certainly would seem excessive. However, your title and the article title are also somewhat misleading, I think. Rather than teaching gay history specifically, it seems more that they are to include the "gayness" that is already there. I mean, World War II history is taught (perhaps poorly) everywhere, but if you are going to include a section on the Enigma machine in that history, then when not also include a note on Alan Turing?

I'm assuming by this you mean he was gay. I don't see why it's relevant. If we don't need to include information on someone who is historically significant, that they are hetero, then why do we need to specifically point out who is gay?

It speaks to the main condition of gays or sexual deviants, that they identify themselves primarily by their sexual nature.

I'm assuming by this you mean he was gay. I don't see why it's relevant. If we don't need to include information on someone who is historically significant, that they are hetero, then why do we need to specifically point out who is gay?

It speaks to the main condition of gays or sexual deviants, that they identify themselves primarily by their sexual nature.

I don't know that Turing ever identified himself as a gay. However, he was certainly identified as such by British authorities, who legally prosecuted him as such and had him chemically castrated, which no doubt contributed to his suicide shortly afterward.

A fine thank-you to a man whose cryptographic work during WWII probably qualifies him as a war hero.

-k

How is society being made worse by this, exactly?

The more you focus on a problem that is not really a problem - but a problem sloved - the problem recreates it self - and continues to plauge us. The gay issue in North America has been settled - We do not abuse them even if we find them unpleasant and we protect them cos they are a weak minority in society - also - we really do not want to grant them ultimate power in our nation...cos' I don't ask for it so why give it too them? Forget it and get on with life - no one needs to fixate on this...but it is entertaining - NOT so much the gays - but the straight and liberal soccer moms and wimpy guys that jump us and protect what is not protected _ give it a break straights and find and girl friend _ It's not like we are freeing captive whales.

As a person who is not against gays let me say this. People who are not gay don't give a care what gay people do, in the privacy of their homes. But I don't want to hear about gayness, I don't want to learn about gayness. Some of us are repulsed by it, the same as we would be repulsed hearing about bestiality or sex with children. And I don't see any need to force the education of school kids to learn about it neither.

Isn't there other more important subjects that should be mandatory say commerce and economics? The average north american is swimming in debt, but there is no mandatory education on finance???

There's only so much hours in a school day, shouldn't topics that people use in everyday life be mandatory? Give that society is more tolerant to homosexuality (good thing) than it was 20 yrs ago, is this class necessary?

Isn't there other more important subjects that should be mandatory say commerce and economics? The average north american is swimming in debt, but there is no mandatory education on finance???

There's only so much hours in a school day, shouldn't topics that people use in everyday life be mandatory? Give that society is more tolerant to homosexuality (good thing) than it was 20 yrs ago, is this class necessary?

It is not a class, as far as I can tell. It is more like the addition of some content to current textbooks.

I think that the topic would be very important to teaching civics to high school students. The entire process of how gay rights have come, and are still coming into law is a great introduction to how democracy and courts work together - leaving aside the social benefit of explaining to students how and why gays and lesbians (LGBT people really) can be tolerated in a society with a strong religious tradition.

Guest American Woman

I can't think of a more useless educational requirement. Scrap this policy, and teach more math and science.

History is already a required subject - this topic would be added to the study of history. It would not take anything away from math and science.

History is already a required subject - this topic would be added to the study of history. It would not take anything away from math and science.

Yes, but it would squeeze out real history. This crap is meaningless tripe, injected in the course cirriculum out of political correctness. Just teach basic history, and leave the rest of the school time to more important subjects.

Part of the problem is, I think, that if you never mention homosexuality in history, it gives the impression that it is somehow merely a modern phenomenon.

It was not the gays that through out history build up civilization (don't start bringing up dead heros who can not speak on their own behalf) - It was US. No kid should be forced to partake in the acquired taste that is the gay phenomena. If a kid finds it unplesant..He or she should not be forced to appreciate the flavour of lemon when they prefer strawberry.

Concentrate on HUMAN rights for all - not the rights and increased privledges of special interest groups. Why should a kid who's parents simply don't like homosexuality be FORCED to partake in it in any form which encludes the historical study of it? It's not that important for starters. To be blunt about what is superiour and what is not...example - what is superiour . The smell of poop on a penis...or a penis coated in female lubricants excreted by the vigina? Real simple - waste product or reproductive product - small wonder the more sophisticated and most afluent parts of human society are heading for extinction...When one can not discriminate and is not allowed to discriminate between shit and honey - we have a very serious propblem.

Guest American Woman

Yes, but it would squeeze out real history. This crap is meaningless tripe, injected in the course cirriculum out of political correctness. Just teach basic history, and leave the rest of the school time to more important subjects.

The fight for gay rights, and the abuse gays have suffered, is "real history." What I question is singling out "gay's accomplishments." Seems to me that their accomplishments should be taught the same as heterosexual's accomplishments are taught - without mention of sexual preference.

This IS history. More importantly, it's recent history so that it's REAL to kids in high school. This topic would get them interested, unlike memorizing the names of gentlemen in white powdered wigs.

Yes, I admit though that last bit is important too.