On another forum I regularly visit, there are posts now and then that we term 'Florida'. Like only really strange things seem to happen there. Could it be all the retired Canadians living there? Could be, could be.

But here we have this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-tavares-arrest-wet-t-shirt-20100805,0,1313125.story

She got wet at a water park. People complained, she got arrested.

/facepalm

A quote from the comments.

:D

I would'nt have called the cops...What type of a loser does that?

I would have asked her if she had any friends and were they interested in coming to the water park to splash around as well!!!

But I'm a fan of boobies!!!

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The problem with this case isn't with Zimmerman or Martin.

Crime happens all the time, more black people kill other black people than white or hispanics do.

If this guy was arrested then this issue wouldn't have gone as far as it has.

That being said, people on both sides of this debate sound like absolute idiots.

Apparently Spike Lee tweeted the address of a George Zimmerman. Of course not the one in question, some elderly guy guy that's now getting death threats. :rolleyes:

And more crazy stuff that happens in Florida:

I had a story about a guy in Florida who stabbed his dog to death because he thought it was possessed. And there was also this incident at a Florida university:

Somehow I doubt she's going to pass that course.

But then the Trayvon Martin thing took this thread off the "weird news" track and into racial politics.

So ... uh, here's a hate crime, I guess.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwoEh-ZwlCI

(Baltimore. Not in Florida.)

-k

Guest American Woman

The problem with this case isn't with Zimmerman or Martin.

Crime happens all the time, more black people kill other black people than white or hispanics do.

If this guy was arrested then this issue wouldn't have gone as far as it has.

The media is reporting that he will be charged; an arrest is expected soon - special news report at 6pm.

Guest American Woman

Mike Tyson sure hasn't been shy about stating his feelings:

It's a disgrace that man [Zimmerman} hasn't been shot yet. Forget about him being arrested--the fact that he hasn't been shot yet is a disgrace. That's how I feel personally about it."

Link

:rolleyes:

He won't get convicted of Second-degree murder. Manslaughter maybe.

It's too late to charge him with manslaughter. Zimmerman will probably be acquitted. There's no way he'll be found guilty of 2nd degree murder. What the heck was the prosecutor thinking?

Guest American Woman

It's too late to charge him with manslaughter. Zimmerman will probably be acquitted. There's no way he'll be found guilty of 2nd degree murder. What the heck was the prosecutor thinking?

Some think the prosecutor was thinking that a second degree murder charge could lead to Zimmerman pleading guilty to manslaughter in a plea bargain.

But according to a local attorney, the jury could find him not guilty of second degree murder but guilty of manslaughter.

While second degree murder is the charge, if the jury is unable to find Zimmerman guilty of that, Dennis says they could find him guilty of manslaughter. It's considered a lesser included offense.

At any rate, it sounds as if the jury will be presented with more definitive evidence than the public has, but even Martin's mother has said that she believes it was am accident.

"I believe it was an accident," Fulton said on "Today." "I believe that it just got out of control, and he couldn't turn the clock back.

Edited by American Woman

Trayvon's family's definition of "accident" will not get him off the second-degree murder conviction, if the evidence adds up. The "excusable homicide" defense (which covers a few definitions of accidental homicide) must, according to one defintion, show that he was engaged in a lawful activity at the time. Taking your gun with you and pursuing someone against the advice of a 911 dispatcher then using force way beyond what is reasonable for self-defense is not legal. I'm sure the defense could try to spin it that way, but it's highly unlikely. It's not like they were out hunting together and he shot him or something like that. Another way accident could be used is in the heat of passion or being provoked. For example, walking in on your partner while he/she is in bed with someone else. They may argue that Trayvon provoked Zimmerman, but it's pretty hard to say that Trayvon provoked Zimmerman when it was the latter that pursued the former against the advice of the 911 dispatcher. The final way accident can be used is if they got into a fist fight and he killed him. This is closest definition of accident that Zimmerman's defense could use. Problem is the death cannot be the result of using a dangerous weapon. Shooting Trayvon means he can't use that definition. So, given the evidence that we've seen in the media, I don't think they'll be able to use the "excusable homicide" defense effectively.

Justifiable homicide is a possibility, but I find it very highly unlikely that they're going to be able to prove that Trayvon attempted to murder Zimmerman. He was carrying iced tea and skittles, not a gun or a dangerous weapon. Moreover, the audio recording of the 911 call clearly shows Trayvon screaming for help for some time before we hear the gun shot. It's clear from that evidence, which from my understanding the prosecution is quite upset that it was released to the public so quickly, that by the time Zimmerman murders Martin, he is the aggressor and not doing it in the interest of self-preservation. That rules out justifiable homicide.

Now where things get tricky in Florida is self-defense. This is where Florida's "stand your ground" law comes into play. However, even the legislator that created it said that it's intent was not to allow a person to do what Zimmerman did. Nevertheless, the jury and the judge will have to adhere to the word of the law, but that doesn't mean there won't be some room for judicial discretion and reasoning that takes into consideration the comments of the legislator that created the law. The law was written, however, to undo the self-defense statute that required a person to attempt to flee before attacking someone in self-defense. They must believe that their imminent death or grave bodily harm will be brought upon them if they don't use deadly force or someone has to break into your property (including vehicle). Martin didn't break into anything and it's extremely suspect whether Zimmerman can claim that his life was in danger, given the 911 call as mentioned earlier. I don't believe the stand your ground law will apply here.

There's really no other way to look at this than second-degree murder. Zimmerman brought a loaded gun with him, profiled (not necessarily racially), and pursued Martin against the explicit directions of the 911 dispatcher that he contacted. The neighbour's 911 call clearly shows that Trayvon was pleading for help immediately prior to the gun shot that kills him, which seems to rule out self-defense on the part of Zimmerman. Obviously more evidence is needed and all of the events need to be examined in explicit detail; however, I find extremely difficult to see how he will not get second-degree murder. At the very least, it's going to be manslaughter because the defenses for the charge don't seem to apply, so I can't see him being found entirely not guilty.

information on second-degree murder in florida

• 3 weeks later...

The University of Florida decided to cut it's Computer Science program, to save $1.4 million.

In a completely unrelated development, the University of Florida has raised the budget of its athletics program by $2 million, to nearly $100 million.

That was no doubt an astute decision for the students of that school. After all, this computers stuff is likely just a fad. In a few decades, the idea of a computer science departments will be as amusing as a hula-hoop department or a pet rock department. Increasing funding for football would allow the university to maintain the high standards for tailgate parties and hot cheerleaders that today's university students demand.

But in a typical show of cowardice, the university backed down.

"blah blah blah, misunderstanding. blah blah blah, financially difficult times, blah blah productive blah blah optimistic. blah blah blah, new proposal. blah blah consultation blah blah industry partners, etc, blah blah blah."

-UF president Bernie Mechen.

-k

The University of Florida decided to cut it's Computer Science program, to save $1.4 million.

In a completely unrelated development, the University of Florida has raised the budget of its athletics program by $2 million, to nearly $100 million.

That was no doubt an astute decision for the students of that school. After all, this computers stuff is likely just a fad. In a few decades, the idea of a computer science departments will be as amusing as a hula-hoop department or a pet rock department. Increasing funding for football would allow the university to maintain the high standards for tailgate parties and hot cheerleaders that today's university students demand.

But in a typical show of cowardice, the university backed down.

"blah blah blah, misunderstanding. blah blah blah, financially difficult times, blah blah productive blah blah optimistic. blah blah blah, new proposal. blah blah consultation blah blah industry partners, etc, blah blah blah."

-UF president Bernie Mechen.

-k

Sad...isn't it,kimmy?....I'm a huge football fan,but,it seems those in control simply see the "cashola" instead of the bigger picture?...

24 hours a day....after all, this "Canadian Forum" is hosted in the USA, runs on an American forum engine, and has a dedicated area just for the US of A. And we sing...Yankee Doodle went to town.....

Should be renamed the comedy channel.

A Florida woman has been sentenced to 20 years for firing a warning shot into the ceiling in an attempt to protect herself from her abusive husband.

Florida-- where shooting a black teenager gets you no jail time, but shooting your ceiling gets you 20 years.

That's just FUBAR.

-k

Guest American Woman

Florida-- where shooting a black teenager gets you no jail time, but shooting your ceiling gets you 20 years.

So who got no jail time for shooting a black teenager? - If you're referring to George Zimmerman, he hasn't had a trial yet.

So who got no jail time for shooting a black teenager? - If you're referring to George Zimmerman, he hasn't had a trial yet.

Yes, they did finally get around to laying charges, after a month of outrage threatened to explode into civil unrest... they'd originally not intended to prosecute him because they saw no evidence to doubt his "self defense" story and because of the "stand your ground" law-- a law that sounds tailor-made for Ms Alexander's situation.

-k

Guest American Woman

Yes, they did finally get around to laying charges, after a month of outrage threatened to explode into civil unrest... they'd originally not intended to prosecute him because they saw no evidence to doubt his "self defense" story and because of the "stand your ground" law-- a law that sounds tailor-made for Ms Alexander's situation.

Actually, while I thought charges should have been made against Zimmerman from the get-go, the law was hardly "tailor made" for Ms. Alexander's situation; and of course your statement was flat out false.

Actually, while I thought charges should have been made against Zimmerman from the get-go, the law was hardly "tailor made" for Ms. Alexander's situation; and of course your statement was flat out false.

Whatever. Clearly there's a discrepancy between their reluctance to prosecute Zimmerman and their zeal for prosecuting this woman who shot her ceiling.

-k