Then why did you post a puff piece about "Florida"...as if it applies to an entire state?

Your lack of reading comprehension disturbs me. (where BC would say ... you know that came from America)

Somebody tried to give the story Canadian relevance because of tourists....why?

Wait for it !!! ........

It's not about you (or me)....this game is larger than that.

It's only a game to you. To me it's just the daily viewing here at MLW.

I know....but it's just another easy breezy Covergirl day for me. That's just another American reference that I know is already burned into your mind from American media. LOL!

Do you know what it takes to make a 'covergirl' ?? Hint: it's not make up!! And sure Photoshop is another American invention.

Am I doing this right BC? I'd like to emulate you, but I really need to be taught more on how to be like you.

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

....Do you know what it takes to make a 'covergirl' ?? Hint: it's not make up!! And sure Photoshop is another American invention. Am I doing this right BC? I'd like to emulate you, but I really need to be taught more on how to be like you.

It is....and you are my favorite puppy! All is well...Jupiter's gravity rules your universe. ;)

Edited by bush_cheney2004

It is....and you are my favorite puppy! All is well...Jupiter's gravity rules your universe. ;)

This puppy loves to hump legs. You down?

Anyways, getting back to 'Florida' I hear they have some of the best swamp land available for purchase. Confirm? Deny?

Here is another:

http://www.sltrib.com/sltrib/home/50025826-76/stubbs-parking-walmart-lot.html.csp

Here is a Canadian example of 'Florida'.

http://www.cbc.ca/cp/Oddities/a33167.html.

:D

I'll try to find more.

I don't speak for AW or any other "American" for that matter, but I am less concerned about the superficial commentary on Floridians or Americans, and find the motivation for such a post far more interesting. The consistent trend I see here at MLW is for some Canadian members to go out of their way to criticize or comment (in a present or past context) on America in relationship to and support of an assumed/implied superiority for Canada. This is consistent with the elusive definition of Canadian identity, difficult to describe without America as a foil.

The funny part is that they use hegemon America's media content and delivery dominance to mine such nuggets, while turning a blind eye to identical quirks to be found in Canada if they would look for them. I am more than happy to fill that gap, and some find it to be very irritating! ;)

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it and yeah, I can see how your perception of motivation does irritate some, although I really do think when some people comment, the focus is regional and not necessarily about Americans in general (or Canadians in general for what its worth).

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it and yeah, I can see how your perception of motivation does irritate some, although I really do think when some people comment, the focus is regional and not necessarily about Americans in general (or Canadians in general for what its worth).

Could be....Florida is like any other state or province in most respects...with better and sometimes worse weather. The case in the OP is not so much about Florida as a local event, but it illustrates the generalities often made for entire regions and countries even when it does not apply. So one precinct in a city (Tavares, FL) becomes the county becomes the state becomes the region (Canadians curiously have a thing about the "US South") becomes an entire nation.

Otherwise, I have no idea why the thread is titled "Florida" ... "a strange state". Somebody has issues....

Guest American Woman

Curious. In the OP, GH makes reference to 'Florida' and then also mentions the retired Canadians there - a T-I-C reference of a possible cause to some of the strange goings on - like this supposed prudishness. Did you not get that?

Here's what I got: The title of the thread is "Florida, Strange things in a strange state."

Gosthacked then said, in the opening post: On another forum I regularly visit, there are posts now and then that we term 'Florida'. Like only really strange things seem to happen there. Could it be all the retired Canadians living there? Could be, could be.

Is the insinuation that only strange things seem to happen in Florida because of all the retired Canadians living there, or that only strange things seem to get posted on this board because of all the Canadians living there, posting about strange things on the board? Because the rest of the post had nothing to do with Canadians doing anything strange.

However, what is more curious is your willingness to transpose the specific concept of 'Floridian' into the general concept of 'American' and then take offence due to some criticism of Americans-as-a-whole. Almost like an over-sensitive transvaluation or something. For instance, when is a Floridian just a Floridian?

First of all, I'm not sure where you're getting that I took offense. I made an observation, and posted about it it. As for my "willingness to transpose the specific concept of 'Floridian' as Americans-as-a-whole," it's based on the comments that followed, which I was also clearly responding to in my post. The post you quoted with your response. The comments that the thread generated were clearly not in response to Floridians, but to Americans. So there's nothing "over-sensitive" about my reaction at all; I responded to the reality of the comments in the thread.

When GH references 'Florida' I have enough knowledge and experience of the area and the people to understand what he means by Floridian. Now his generalization about Floridians might be unfair, but far less so for Americans-as-a-whole, which are not really referenced at all. In fact, I don't think GH meant 'American' at all, but Floridian.

Again, I was responding to the thread, not just the opening post, which should have been obvious from my reply. But I do believe the thread was aimed at Americans, since I saw nothing about Canadians in the thread/article or responses his opening post generated -- it was all generalizations about America and Americans and tits being scarier than guns to the boobie crazy Americans, and GH joined in. He didn't say, 'no, this is not about Americans, it's about Floridians and likely some who complained about her attire were Canadian.' It was all Americans are all scared of boobies. And of course reference to Janet Jackson and her flash of nipple is proof that we are all scared of them.

Even the one response GH quoted from the other board is from an American. His handle is americanpatriot1, which, without knowing anything about the poster, says only that he's American, not that he's Floridian.

What was the purpose of posting that one stupid comment, anyway? I'm just surprised the "Americans are dumb as rocks" crowd didn't come out in full force. Seems to me that was the intent of posting the comment; what other response was it supposed to generate?

So, do you - and BC as well - see any criticism of any US citizen or any state as an overall commentary on the US or Americans in general? I would hope not, but it sometimes appears that way. Conversely, there are those who actually DO see specific commentary as a reference to the whole; do you find this to be the normal way in which other posters here view the US?

It seems to be the normal way in which some posters here view the US because the comments were all directed at the US in general, which they do generally seem to be. That does seem to be the direction threads such as this one take.

Edited by American Woman

Here's what I got: The title of the thread is "Florida, Strange things in a strange state."

Gosthacked then said, in the opening post: On another forum I regularly visit, there are posts now and then that we term 'Florida'. Like only really strange things seem to happen there. Could it be all the retired Canadians living there? Could be, could be.

Is the insinuation that only strange things seem to happen in Florida because of all the retired Canadians living there, or that only strange things seem to get posted on this board because of all the Canadians living there, posting about strange things on the board? Because the rest of the post had nothing to do with Canadians doing anything strange.

First of all, I'm not sure where you're getting that I took offense. I made an observation, and posted about it it. As for my "willingness to transpose the specific concept of 'Floridian' as Americans-as-a-whole," it's based on the comments that followed, which I was also clearly responding to in my post. The post you quoted with your response. The comments that the thread generated were clearly not in response to Floridians, but to Americans. So there's nothing "over-sensitive" about my reaction at all; I responded to the reality of the comments in the thread.

Again, I was responding to the thread, not just the opening post, which should have been obvious from my reply. But I do believe the thread was aimed at Americans, since I saw nothing about Canadians in the thread/article or responses his opening post generated -- it was all generalizations about America and Americans and tits being scarier than guns to the boobie crazy Americans, and GH joined in. He didn't say, 'no, this is not about Americans, it's about Floridians and likely some who complained about her attire were Canadian.' It was all Americans are all scared of boobies. And of course reference to Janet Jackson and her flash of nipple is proof that we are all scared of them.

Even the one response GH quoted from the other board is from an American. His handle is americanpatriot1, which, without knowing anything about the poster, says only that he's American, not that he's Floridian.

What was the purpose of posting that one stupid comment, anyway? I'm just surprised the "Americans are dumb as rocks" crowd didn't come out in full force. Seems to me that was the intent of posting the comment; what other response was it supposed to generate?

It seems to be the normal way in which some posters here view the US because the comments were all directed at the US in general, which they do generally seem to be. That does seem to be the direction threads such as this one take.

Why do boobs frighten you so much?

I am afraid of at least two boobs....and they are hanging by a thread off of Pamela Anderson. She came to America and just went overboard....or should I say...overboob..... multiple times. Yikes!

Top Ten Bad Boob Jobs

Seeing there's probably some 'bOOb pill' of some sort on the horizon, you gotta wonder WHY women do that to themselves...especially seeing the results of some.

Seeing there's probably some 'bOOb pill' of some sort on the horizon, you gotta wonder WHY women do that to themselves...especially seeing the results of some.

Howard Stern use to do a spot on his show for woman most "deserving" of a free boob job....and women would just line up to prove that they had horrendous breasts on national (cable) television. Stern as generous humanitarian! LOL!

Howard Stern use to do a spot on his show for woman most "deserving" of a free boob job....and women would just line up to prove that they had horrendous breasts on national (cable) television. Stern as generous humanitarian! LOL!

Stern is part of what makes America great.

That was from last night...it looked like Craig was going to say something historical...like perhaps mention a certain event connected with Aug 9th...but he just said....

IT'S A GREA....etc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jgi_AlfnWnE

Edited by DogOnPorch

Guest American Woman

As do I. As you know, my wife grew up a short distance from where you live (St Peter). Born in Newfie Land mind you.

St Peter is a short distance from Regina?

:P

As do I. As you know, my wife grew up a short distance from where you live (St Peter). Born in Newfie Land mind you.

That's right...St. Peter is just down the road a bit, and not far from where the Minnesota Vikings are in training camp (Mankato). St. Peter had a major run-in with tornados about a dozen years ago....badly damaged.

Ferguson asked his TV audience in each state to make him an honorary citizen; he became an admiral in the Nebraskan Navy! He is now a dual UK/US citizen.

That's right...St. Peter is just down the road a bit, and not far from where the Minnesota Vikings are in training camp (Mankato). St. Peter had a major run-in with tornados about a dozen years ago....badly damaged.

Ferguson asked his TV audience in each state to make him an honorary citizen; he became an admiral in the Nebraskan Navy! He is now a dual UK/US citizen.

Yes...Mankato was the 'big smoke'...lol.

It appeard to me - and GH can correct me if I have missed the mark - that he was giving snow birds and other ex-pats a little shot, due in part to the perceived Canadian 'prudishness,' in such a way as to be considered, tongue-in-cheek, as the cause for the complaint against the young lady or the other "strange things" that seem to happen in Florida. This irreverent sentiment appears to apply to the entire OP including the posted comment from 'Americanpatriot1.'

The only comments that referred to the US - and in a very general and innocuous way - was Dre's:

Yeah theyre pretty crazy down there about seein' boobs.

I remember Janet Jacksons little "wardrobe malfunction"... The sheer outrage rivaled 911 and Pearl Harbor.

The previous posts were about the merit of "boobs" to affect behavior. Your response seemed a titch sensitive and really focused the on the idea of Americans and America as the subject, as opposed to boobs or Floridians.

Naw, the first post that uses the word 'America' as the topic is yours. For all I know, Dre could be referring to Floridians when he said "down there." He might have some insider knowledge on Floridians or snow birds or something. But you made the extrapolation explicit.

Really? You got a nationality from a once removed internet handle? You are far more assumptive than I in this regard.

Perhaps it was supposed to generate irreverant humour by suggesting that Florida or prudish Floridian behaviour like this - including snow birds or expats - wasn't a part of "America."

But the comments were not "all directed at the US in general" which is my point. Dre's comment was suggestive, but even still somewhat ambiguous. For instance, if someone responded to BC's (appropriate) post about British Columbia and someone else said something about those people 'up there' I would assume they were referring to British Columbians (or even Western Canadians) and not Canadians in general, especially when dealing with some ambiguous comment.

Perhaps some threads do take that sort of attacking tone towards the US right from the get-go, but it didn't appear - to me - to the case in this thread until you brought it up. And for all I know, it might have headed in that direction anyway. But I was curious to see if you consider comments about any region of the US to be a direct reference to all of the US or that, sometimes, a Floridian is just a Floridian.

Could be....Florida is like any other state or province in most respects...with better and sometimes worse weather. The case in the OP is not so much about Florida as a local event,

Seems to me it is, or about behaviour that could be considered 'Floridian' whatever that may be. Southern conservative maybe, I dunno. Even noting that on another forum they refer to this sort of behaviour as 'Florida' indicates a sense of localized or regional social traits.

...but it illustrates the generalities often made for entire regions and countries even when it does not apply.

Certainly, but I did not get - from the OP at least - a sense that this was a general application towards Americans in the same way that your post about the British Columbian "phallometers" referred to Canadians in general. I thought your response was to show that some regions are just as weird as any other, including regions in Canada. It was, excuse the pun, tit-for-tat, but I believe I got what you were saying.

So one precinct in a city (Tavares, FL) becomes the county becomes the state becomes the region ... becomes an entire nation.

I didn't get that. It could be that one precinct in one city becomes the state (and perhaps regional) but I am not sure that it refers to the US in general.

(Canadians curiously have a thing about the "US South")

William Faulkner is well known and often beloved writer up here I think.