I think this case is different.

There's a 911 call that shows Zimmerman was in no danger and he followed Martin.

It also highlights a law in Florida where you can shoot people if you "feel threatened" He still hasn't been charged.

Sweet, so you can pick a fight and then when things get out of hand, pop a cap in somebody. "He was coming right at me!"

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman

Should be pretty easy for the police to release the evidence pictures of the bloody and battered Zimmerman, that would surely shut every one up. When do you think they'll release those photos?

Why would he have to prove anything to the public? He's not on public trial, with "every one" jurors. He doesn't have to prove his innocence to the world if there are no charges. That being said, it is surprising to me that no charges have been made; seems to me he should have to prove his innocence in a court of law. There are conflicting sides to the story, so I don't understand why a court of law wouldn't be required to sort it out.

Edited by American Woman

Why would he have to prove anything to the public? He's not on public trial, with "every one" jurors. He doesn't have to prove his innocence to the world if there are no charges. That being said, it is surprising to me that no charges have been made; seems to me he should have to prove his innocence in a court of law. There are conflicting sides to the story, so I don't understand why a court of law wouldn't be required to sort it out.

They probably just decided he wasnt a flight risk and they can take their time making a decision about what charges are warranted and likely to result in conviction.

Guest American Woman

I like that guns are allowed on TV at basically any hour of the day, but not tits. Boobs, natural to human body, are offensive, but not machines designed to murder. :blink:

I don't see a whole lot of penises on prime time television, either - and they, too, are natural to the human body.

Guest American Woman

Trayvon Inc: Fla teen's case turns into brand

Martin's death has become commercialized. Not sure how I feel about that. I think it would have been better to have charged Zimmerman and let the courts determine exactly what happened. If the teen was slamming Zimmerman's head against the pavement, surely he had a right to protect himself - and the kid being made into some kind of complete victim/hero sends the wrong message. On the other hand, if the shooting was unjustified, then Zimmerman should have to answer to the law.

According to the article: The U.S. Justice Department has launched a probe to look for possible civil rights violations...

I don't get the "civil rights" angle; either Zimmerman was justified in shooting him in self-defense, or he is guilty of murder, or at the very least, manslaughter. I don't see what the race of the victim has to do with it.

....I don't get the "civil rights" angle; either Zimmerman was justified in shooting him in self-defense, or he is guilty of murder, or at the very least, manslaughter. I don't see what the race of the victim has to do with it.

The civil rights angle is a fallback path if more pedestrian charges don't happen. And of course there is always the threat of a civil suit, which is probably a given in this case. The Sanford police wanted to charge homicide - manslaughter but the city attorney's office never approved the arrest because of lacking evidence.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3Op8ahXEmc

Not any crazier than Eastern Bloc phallometers being used in British Columbia on sex offenders for decades:

.....Children's Minister Mary Polak pulled the plug on the penile plethysmograph last month. She acted not because of objections to the program but because one of the contractors administering the tests on young offenders has been charged with sexual assault.

Alan Markwart, director of youth forensic psychiatric services, said in an interview that some government officials considered the use of the penile plethysmograph on young sex offenders invasive. Others argued its use could prevent future sex crimes as well as provide a measure of what turns on young sex criminals.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/08/bc-teen-sex-testing.html#ixzz0w8rZHFqE

I guess British Columbians are "crazy" about tallywackers!

HOOK!

I have to laugh when people outside the States constantly/still remark on what a shocked reaction "America" had to Janet Jackson's boobies, because their reaction to it has been ten times greater than "America's" reaction to the boobies.

Is it any less crazy to be obsessed with "America's" reaction?

:P

HOOK!

Guest American Woman

The civil rights angle is a fallback path if more pedestrian charges don't happen. And of course there is always the threat of a civil suit, which is probably a given in this case. The Sanford police wanted to charge homicide - manslaughter but the city attorney's office never approved the arrest because of lacking evidence.

http://abcnews.go.com/WN/trayvon-martin-case-exclusive-surveillance-video-george-zimmerman/story?id=16022897#.T3Op8ahXEmc

Seems to me the fact that Zimmerman shot and killed Martin and there are conflicting versions would be enough evidence to charge him. They don't need evidence that he's guilty - that's for a court to decide.

I agree that there most likely will be at least a civil suit, but if there's no evidence of homicide-manslaughter, I don't see what civil rights would have been violated.

Seems to me the fact that Zimmerman shot and killed Martin and there are conflicting versions would be enough evidence to charge him. They don't need evidence that he's guilty - that's for a court to decide.

He would have to be arraigned with a bail hearing too. The cops cuffed and transported him to the police station in a squad just like any other perp, but then something just stopped the process. Odd...

Guest American Woman

He would have to be arraigned with a bail hearing too. The cops cuffed and transported him to the police station in a squad just like any other perp, but then something just stopped the process. Odd...

Very odd. I can see why people are in an uproar, especially now that the videos aren't confirming the injuries that Zimmerman claimed and the police said they observed. The "lack of evidence" claim just makes no sense under the circumstances.

Very odd. I can see why people are in an uproar, especially now that the videos aren't confirming the injuries that Zimmerman claimed and the police said they observed. The "lack of evidence" claim just makes no sense under the circumstances.

Well, after seeing the police station video there is no way that Zimmerman suffered the blows reported. He should have been arrested and released within X hours if not charged. Authorities can bring formal charges at a later date when they had a case.

Guest American Woman

Well, after seeing the police station video there is no way that Zimmerman suffered the blows reported. He should have been arrested and released within X hours if not charged. Authorities can bring formal charges at a later date when they had a case.

I agree that that's what should have happened; it will be interesting to see what develops in this case.

How did a thread about a woman getting arrested for a wet t-shirt at a waterpark turn into a thread about Trayvon Martin?

Somewhere along the line the thread has turned into a "hey, look at the crazy sh!t that goes on Florida" thread.

why is the media calling Zimmerman white?

hes a half mestizo and half jew!

NOT WHITE

Because this is a racially charged case...And the media (of all leanings) needs to distill things down to its most simple,if not incorrect, form so people will stay interested...