On another forum I regularly visit, there are posts now and then that we term 'Florida'. Like only really strange things seem to happen there. Could it be all the retired Canadians living there? Could be, could be.

But here we have this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-tavares-arrest-wet-t-shirt-20100805,0,1313125.story

TAVARES — When Janet Lovett took her 7-year-old son to the city's Splash Park this spring, she never thought police would slap handcuffs on her and haul her off to the Lake County Jail after her T-shirt and bra became wet.

She got wet at a water park. People complained, she got arrested.

/facepalm

A quote from the comments.

Americanpatriot1 at 10:26 AM August 09, 2010

If only she had been in America, none of this would have happened...

:D

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah theyre pretty crazy down there about seein' boobs.

Not any crazier than Eastern Bloc phallometers being used in British Columbia on sex offenders for decades:

.....Children's Minister Mary Polak pulled the plug on the penile plethysmograph last month. She acted not because of objections to the program but because one of the contractors administering the tests on young offenders has been charged with sexual assault.

Alan Markwart, director of youth forensic psychiatric services, said in an interview that some government officials considered the use of the penile plethysmograph on young sex offenders invasive. Others argued its use could prevent future sex crimes as well as provide a measure of what turns on young sex criminals.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/08/bc-teen-sex-testing.html#ixzz0w8rZHFqE

I guess British Columbians are "crazy" about tallywackers!

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Not any crazier than Eastern Bloc phallometers being used in British Columbia on sex offenders for decades:

.....Children's Minister Mary Polak pulled the plug on the penile plethysmograph last month. She acted not because of objections to the program but because one of the contractors administering the tests on young offenders has been charged with sexual assault.

Alan Markwart, director of youth forensic psychiatric services, said in an interview that some government officials considered the use of the penile plethysmograph on young sex offenders invasive. Others argued its use could prevent future sex crimes as well as provide a measure of what turns on young sex criminals.

Read more: http://www.cbc.ca/canada/british-columbia/story/2010/08/08/bc-teen-sex-testing.html#ixzz0w8rZHFqE

I guess British Columbians are "crazy" about tallywackers!

Yeah I know... relevant examples arent your strong suit.

Guest American Woman

I have to laugh when people outside the States constantly/still remark on what a shocked reaction "America" had to Janet Jackson's boobies, because their reaction to it has been ten times greater than "America's" reaction to the boobies.

Is it any less crazy to be obsessed with "America's" reaction?

:P

Edited by American Woman

I have to laugh when people outside the States constantly/still remark on what a shocked reaction "America" had to Janet Jackson's boobies, because their reaction to it has been ten times greater than "America's" reaction to the boobies.

Yeah! Because mentioning it once in the 5 years since its happened is obsessive. :lol:

For some reason...it is very important to some Canadians. That's why I'm still here...watching them always watching us! ;)

You know youd probably be in a better position to critisize the voyeuristic nature of Canadians with regard to happenings in the US if you didnt spend 14 hours a day on a Canadian political forum.

You know youd probably be in a better position to critisize the voyeuristic nature of Canadians with regard to happenings in the US if you didnt spend 14 hours a day on a Canadian political forum.

24 hours a day....after all, this "Canadian Forum" is hosted in the USA, runs on an American forum engine, and has a dedicated area just for the US of A. And we sing...Yankee Doodle went to town.....

Guest American Woman

On another forum I regularly visit, there are posts now and then that we term 'Florida'. Like only really strange things seem to happen there. Could it be all the retired Canadians living there? Could be, could be.

But here we have this http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/local/lake/os-tavares-arrest-wet-t-shirt-20100805,0,1313125.story

She got wet at a water park. People complained, she got arrested.

Just for the record, your post is factually incorrect. You inadvertently left out the reason she got arrested; for refusing to give the police her name. So fit that in your timetable, because I'm sure you wouldn't want to misrepresent what really happened. ;)

It would go something like this.

She got wet at a water park. People complained (for the third day in a row) about her attire being inappropriate. Authorities were called. Police asked for her name. She refused to give it. She was warned she could be arrested for obstruction of justice. She was arrested for obstruction of justice. Charges were not filed.

So she was not arrested because of her see-through attire. Though that makes a much better story.

As a side note, when my daughters were young and we were at Disney World's water park, some young European women changed out of their bathing suits right out in the open, in front of everyone. That's right. They were nakkid as a jaybird. The park was full, and no one batted an eye. (Bet y'all wish you had been there, eh guys? B))

People love to make a big deal about how prudish Americans are, but we just aren't the boobie-hatin' crazies that some love to make us out to be. Which is why the Janet Jackson incident just doesn't die. There aren't that many incidents out there, so when it does happen, it's played to death.

People love to make a big deal about how prudish Americans are, but we just aren't the boobie-hatin' crazies that some love to make us out to be. Which is why the Janet Jackson incident just doesn't die. There aren't that many incidents out there, so when it does happen, it's played to death.

Curious. In the OP, GH makes reference to 'Florida' and then also mentions the retired Canadians there - a T-I-C reference of a possible cause to some of the strange goings on - like this supposed prudishness. Did you not get that?

However, what is more curious is your willingness to transpose the specific concept of 'Floridian' into the general concept of 'American' and then take offence due to some criticism of Americans-as-a-whole. Almost like an over-sensitive transvaluation or something. For instance, when is a Floridian just a Floridian?

When GH references 'Florida' I have enough knowledge and experience of the area and the people to understand what he means by Floridian. Now his generalization about Floridians might be unfair, but far less so for Americans-as-a-whole, which are not really referenced at all. In fact, I don't think GH meant 'American' at all, but Floridian.

So, do you - and BC as well - see any criticism of any US citizen or any state as an overall commentary on the US or Americans in general? I would hope not, but it sometimes appears that way. Conversely, there are those who actually DO see specific commentary as a reference to the whole; do you find this to be the normal way in which other posters here view the US?

The CRTC is ok with boobs. And if I recall, it was the US networks that got their panties in a bunch about the nip slip. Charges were going to be filed ect, a whole investigation into the wardrobe malfunction.

No just obsessed with an American Woman's reaction.

Just for the record, your post is factually incorrect. You inadvertently left out the reason she got arrested; for refusing to give the police her name. So fit that in your timetable, because I'm sure you wouldn't want to misrepresent what really happened. ;)

So you can get arrested for not giving your name? Eventhough you are not even being arrested? The cop wanted her name for the database. She refused to give her name and then got arrested. Pretty damn weak if you ask me.

It's satirical the reasons and why. how she was arrested. I am glad real crime is being fought.

.....So, do you - and BC as well - see any criticism of any US citizen or any state as an overall commentary on the US or Americans in general? I would hope not, but it sometimes appears that way. Conversely, there are those who actually DO see specific commentary as a reference to the whole; do you find this to be the normal way in which other posters here view the US?

I don't speak for AW or any other "American" for that matter, but I am less concerned about the superficial commentary on Floridians or Americans, and find the motivation for such a post far more interesting. The consistent trend I see here at MLW is for some Canadian members to go out of their way to criticize or comment (in a present or past context) on America in relationship to and support of an assumed/implied superiority for Canada. This is consistent with the elusive definition of Canadian identity, difficult to describe without America as a foil.

The funny part is that they use hegemon America's media content and delivery dominance to mine such nuggets, while turning a blind eye to identical quirks to be found in Canada if they would look for them. I am more than happy to fill that gap, and some find it to be very irritating! ;)

.....So you can get arrested for not giving your name? Eventhough you are not even being arrested? The cop wanted her name for the database. She refused to give her name and then got arrested. Pretty damn weak if you ask me.

It's satirical the reasons and why. how she was arrested. I am glad real crime is being fought.

Satirical in what way? Are you glad that "real crime" was fought at the G20 summit in Toronto?

I don't speak for AW or any other "American" for that matter, but I am less concerned about the superficial commentary on Floridians or Americans, and find the motivation for such a post far more interesting. The consistent trend I see here at MLW is for some Canadian members to go out of their way to criticize or comment (in a present or past context) on America in relationship to and support of an assumed/implied superiority for Canada. This is consistent with the elusive definition of Canadian identity, difficult to describe without America as a foil.

The funny part is that they use hegemon America's media content and delivery dominance to mine such nuggets, while turning a blind eye to identical quirks to be found in Canada if they would look for them. I am more than happy to fill that gap, and some find it to be very irritating! ;)

Thats not actually what they find irritating :P

Did I hurt your feelings.... again? For someone that says he does not care what anyone thinks about America, you sure post like you do. And this has little or anything to do with what's called the 'Canadian Identity'. Like I said, in the other forum we have these 'Florida' posts. And that it could be because of the Canadians living there (see that was an attempt at a joke), but you can continue to think that some of us are on a high horse (could make a Mark Emery joke here as well if you want).

Should I do the Canadian thing and say 'I'm Sorry' ??? :D

Sure, why not. I'd read those posts. I am sure there are plenty of things going on in Canada that even us Canadians laugh about.

Did I hurt your feelings.... again? For someone that says he does not care what anyone thinks about America, you sure post like you do. And this has little or anything to do with what's called the 'Canadian Identity'. Like I said, in the other forum we have these 'Florida' posts. And that it could be because of the Canadians living there (see that was an attempt at a joke), but you can continue to think that some of us are on a high horse (could make a Mark Emery joke here as well if you want).

You can do whatever you want....I am more than game and up to this fun task as you know. I love to fling your own poop backatcha!...and I am not "sorry" in the least. This story had absolutely nothing to do with Canadians despite your weak attempt to link the two ideas.

Sure, why not. I'd read those posts. I am sure there are plenty of things going on in Canada that even us Canadians laugh about.

You will always be captured in America's gravity...you can't help yourself. I understand...it's OK....the CRTC cannot protect you from Jupiter.

You can do whatever you want....I am more than game and up to this fun task as you know. I love to fling your own poop backatcha!...and I am not "sorry" in the least. This story had absolutely nothing to do with Canadians despite your weak attempt to link the two ideas.

I flung poop? If you say so.

You are right it does not have to do anything with Canadians, and yet here you are bringing it up again. It's sad that you have a hate on for me so much that you can't even see past the funny right in front of you.... or is that me posting again.

It's nice that I can make a post and make fun of myself, but you always make it about you in the end.

You will always be captured in America's gravity...you can't help yourself. I understand...it's OK....the CRTC cannot protect you from Jupiter.

This is turning into more satire than I can handle.

I flung poop? If you say so.

Then why did you post a puff piece about "Florida"...as if it applies to an entire state?

You are right it does not have to do anything with Canadians, and yet here you are bringing it up again. It's sad that you have a hate on for me so much that you can't even see past the funny right in front of you.... or is that me posting again.

Somebody tried to give the story Canadian relevance because of tourists....why?

It's nice that I can make a post and make fun of myself, but you always make it about you in the end.

It's not about you (or me)....this game is larger than that.

This is turning into more satire than I can handle.

I know....but it's just another easy breezy Covergirl day for me. That's just another American reference that I know is already burned into your mind from American media. LOL!