Forum software issues

Sir Bandelot

I don't know if any others see this problem, but every time I click to add a reply, I get the "emoticons" window cutting off the right side of the text box where I type in my message. As I type, the cursor goes out of sight behind it so that I can't see what I'm typing. In order to make this go away, I have to click "Show All" in the emoticns pane. Then it resizes the text box properly so that I can see the right side edge. Hope that makes sense.

I use Internet Explorer 6.

I don't know if any others see this problem, but every time I click to add a reply, I get the "emoticons" window cutting off the right side of the text box where I type in my message. As I type, the cursor goes out of sight behind it so that I can't see what I'm typing. In order to make this go away, I have to click "Show All" in the emoticns pane. Then it resizes the text box properly so that I can see the right side edge. Hope that makes sense.

This doesn't happen with me - using FF 3.6

• Forum Admin

This is an EXTREMELY outdated browser - it was released back in 2001.

Sorry for being blunt, but this is a really crappy browser. IE6 doesn't even support CSS 2, which means, I can't design a website that will look good in IE6 without seriously degrading the experience for users using modern browsers.

I would suggest you download a modern browser like, IE8, FF3, Google Chrome, etc.

Thanks!

This is an EXTREMELY outdated browser - it was released back in 2001.

Sorry for being blunt, but this is a really crappy browser. IE6 doesn't even support CSS 2, which means, I can't design a website that will look good in IE6 without seriously degrading the experience for users using modern browsers.

I would suggest you download a modern browser like, IE8, FF3, Google Chrome, etc.

Thanks!

I suspected that was the problem. Microsoft is asking all IE6 users to move on to the next version. Problem is, many large companies have IE6 browser still installed, due to the fact that they have custom written browser applications that will not work with the newer version. From what I gather there are thousands of sites where IE6 has to be maintained for this reason.

"IE6 is a truly hated browser amongst web developers. It’s out of date and doesn’t support many modern web technologies properly. Yet it remains one of the most popular browsers amongst users – mainly thanks to businesses who haven’t upgraded their corporate software suite in years.

So, now that Google is throwing its weight behind the movement to consign IE6 to history, will we finally see it disappearing for good? Don’t count on it."

http://thenextweb.com/us/2010/01/30/google-kill-ie6/

I will upgrade my laptop soon. Too many projects would be stalled by doing it right now.

Thanks for looking into it.

I will upgrade my laptop soon. Too many projects would be stalled by doing it right now.

If you absolutely need to operate with IE6 you can still go ahead and install Firefox. I have both browsers installed with FF as my default, but I can still use IE if I wish. I do believe they recommend having more than one browser installed in case something goes wrong with your default browser.

If you absolutely need to operate with IE6 you can still go ahead and install Firefox. I have both browsers installed with FF as my default, but I can still use IE if I wish. I do believe they recommend having more than one browser installed in case something goes wrong with your default browser.

That sounds like a great plan, think I'll go with that one.

thx!

That is way I have my work laptop set up. IE6 is used for many things and only work in IE6. So for some work things I use that, but I always use FireFox when I can.

The things I see missing however, are the quote, and other buttons at the top of the text frame.

Edited by GostHacked

I don't know if any others see this problem, but every time I click to add a reply, I get the "emoticons" window cutting off the right side of the text box where I type in my message.
I have the same problem. I use IE8 too, if that's the source of the problem.

I have ranted elsewhere about these changes. "If ain't broke, don't fix it." The cardinal rule of good programming is that users should see no change, or the change should appear seamless.

Greg, please put this back the way it was.

----

Sir Bandelot, you can still format your posts using html coding.

Edited by August1991

Guest American Woman

Hitting the "preview post" and "add reply" buttons sometimes brings me to the main page without registering/previewing my post, too. I'm primarily using Firefox 3.6 now, so I'm not sure if that's an issue with IE 8, too.

Anyone else running into this problem?

• Forum Admin

The post formatting controls and emoticons aren't there for me, either, on both IE8 and Firefox.

Is this been an issue since the upgrade, or is this something that disappeared recently?

Guest American Woman

Is this been an issue since the upgrade, or is this something that disappeared recently?

It wasn't an issue for me until shortly before I made my post (18 February 2010 - 03:57 PM); the problem had started a couple of hours prior to that. Same with the problems with the "add reply" and "preview post" features; my problems there started a couple of hours before I posted about it. In other words, it hasn't been an issue since the upgrade; it's something that disappeared recently.

Edited to add: I'm still continuing to have the same problems.

Edited by American Woman