U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies at 77

It's just difficult for me to dismiss the death that occurred as a result of his actions., but then it's something he had to live with all of his life, and I don't imagine that was easy.

One wonders whether Kennedy found it that difficult.

This is what Ed Klein, former editor of Newsweek recently said about Kennedy:

I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, "have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?" That is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too.
WSJ

You can hear the Klein interview

. It was broadcast on NPR.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest American Woman
One wonders whether Kennedy found it that difficult.

This is what Ed Klein, former editor of Newsweek recently said about Kennedy:QUOTE:

I don't know if you know this or not, but one of his favorite topics of humor was indeed Chappaquiddick itself. And he would ask people, "have you heard any new jokes about Chappaquiddick?" That is just the most amazing thing. It's not that he didn't feel remorse about the death of Mary Jo Kopechne, but that he still always saw the other side of everything and the ridiculous side of things, too.WSJ

You can hear the Klein interview

. It was broadcast on NPR.

I have to say, I'm totally taken aback by that, and can't help but wonder what "the other side" or "the ridiculous side" of Chappaquiddick would be. And Klein almost seems to be chuckling as he recalls it and tells this anecdote about Kennedy as if it really is an endearing remembrance.

I have to say, I'm totally taken aback by that, and can't help but wonder what "the other side" or "the ridiculous side" of Chappaquiddick would be. And Klein almost seems to be chuckling as he recalls it and tells this anecdote about Kennedy as if it really is an endearing remembrance.
Ted Kennedy drove off the bridge in Chappaquiddick 40 years ago. It happens to be in the news now because Kennedy died.

But in 1984 or 1994, for example, Chappaquiddick was just a reference to a Kennedy scandal.

Moreover, I have also thought of Kennedys as typical, first generation preppies. (Groton and the sort.) In such places, the boys make jokes to hide or show their shame.

IOW, I'm not surprised to learn that Kennedy made jokes about Chappaquiddick. I'm somewhat surprised to learn that a former Newsweek editor would use the example in a eulogy.

----

IMV, Ted Kennedy was a typical limousine liberal. "Do as I say, not as I do." He spent other people's money as a way, not to assuage his own guilt, but to glorify himself. Similarly, Robert Kennedy Jr flies around in a private jet to preach about controlling CO2 emissions.

John F Kennedy was the first (and only) Catholic president of the US. I think the Kennedy name should be seen in that light.

....John F Kennedy was the first (and only) Catholic president of the US. I think the Kennedy name should be seen in that light.

That's right...and we all know what happened to him. Chappaquiddick may have been the place, but Mary Jo would always haunt Senator Kennedy, guaranteeing no shot at the nomination or presidency. It was humiliating for him to lose the challenge to a sitting president (Jimmy Carter) in 1980....."I am a Kennedy...dammit!"

The film "Ghost Story" from 1981 always reminds me of Chappaquiddick, especially when authorities pull the car from the lake with her remains still inside...after 50 years.

There are people in the the world who are leaders or executives and some who aren't. Teddy realized he wasn't president material nor I don't he wanted to be, it was family pressure. He made the right decision to spend the rest of his life in the senate helping other Americans who needed it. IF you watch the funeral today, you would understand this man better and KNOW he did more to help Americans than the last 4 presidents of the US and that is why people came out to say goodbye. He made friends with Republicans to make American better and I only hope that one of the Kennedys can do half as much as he did. Perhaps that is why God let Teddy live after the car accident and the plane accident, so he could go on and help so many other people.

IF you watch the funeral today, you would understand this man better and KNOW he did more to help Americans than the last 4 presidents of the US and that is why people came out to say goodbye.
I strongly disagree.

Ted Kennedy did nothing for ordinary people except take their money to glorify himself.

"You can lead a horse to water but you cannot make it drink."

Ever the cynic, Kennedy understood this. Nevertheless, Ted Kennedy repeated that he would lead horses to water to regenerate them.

Imagine the cynicism of a man in the public eye who dodged the death of a young woman.

Ted Kennedy an idealist? He was an ugly cynic - IOW, a private cynic.

Name one Democrat that you thought was good.
I'm a Canadian so I'll note presidential candidates, not local Democrats.

Truman. Excellent president. But I suspect that you were looking for Democrats who never suceeded.

George McGovern. He was honest, but misguided.

Michael Dukakis was the president who should have been.

There's two. (Kerry was an idiot. I don't like Clinton nor Obama - they're both PR frauds.)

Edited by August1991

I'm a Canadian so I'll note presidential candidates, not local Democrats.

Truman. Excellent president. But I suspect that you were looking for Democrats who never suceeded.

And I thought you might be turned off by the corruption in his presidency. He opposed tax cuts.

George McGovern. He was honest, but misguided.

After the Thomas Eagleton situation, it is hard to believe that idea of honesty.

Michael Dukakis was the president who should have been.

Why?

There's two. (Kerry was an idiot. I don't like Clinton nor Obama - they're both PR frauds.)

And you liked Dukakis?

Teddy went to schools and read to the kids there in reading class and yesterday, a 12 year old girl went with her parent to see him and she brought the book that he has signed for her. This happen when she was in grade one and she said she never forgot him helping her class to read. Teddy did these "little" things every day after he left the senate before going home. You don't hear about too many politicans taking time out of their personal time and helping other people and Ted Kennedy did.

Guest American Woman
.....He made friends with Republicans to make American better and I only hope that one of the Kennedys can do half as much as he did. Perhaps that is why God let Teddy live after the car accident and the plane accident, so he could go on and help so many other people.

So God didn't "let" Mary Jo live because she wasn't going to go on to help as many other people as Kennedy did, so her life wasn't worth saving? Is that it? Or did she perhaps die because Kennedy didn't report the accident until more than nine hours later?

I hope he burns in hell for what he's done. I don't feel a bit bad about it either.

From killing that poor girl in the 70's to having multiple sexual partners. He sure is a picture of modern liberalism.

The Spaceman says that Kennedy knew he was going to die and that Obama was chosen by the Kennedy family to succeed him and to carry on the work started by the Kennedy's in the 60's.

Obama was on vacation in Martha's Vinyard when ted kennedy died. This is the same place that the Kennedy's compound is located. So it seems reasonable that Obama was at his bedside when he died. Some say Ted Kennedy was giving Obama some final instructions before his death.

Edited by Mr.Canada

Obama was on vacation in Martha's Vinyard when ted kennedy died. This is the same place that the Kennedy's compound is located. So it seems reasonable that Obama was at his bedside when he died. Some say Ted Kennedy was giving Obama some final instructions before his death.

How sordid... what an ugly alliance..

There are people in the the world who are leaders or executives and some who aren't. Teddy realized he wasn't president material nor I don't he wanted to be, it was family pressure. He made the right decision to spend the rest of his life in the senate helping other Americans who needed it. IF you watch the funeral today, you would understand this man better and KNOW he did more to help Americans than the last 4 presidents of the US and that is why people came out to say goodbye. He made friends with Republicans to make American better and I only hope that one of the Kennedys can do half as much as he did. Perhaps that is why God let Teddy live after the car accident and the plane accident, so he could go on and help so many other people.

You can fool some of the people some of the time and some of the people all of the time, but you can't fool all of the people all of the time.

Guest American Woman
From killing that poor girl in the 70's to having multiple sexual partners. He sure is a picture of modern liberalism.

Yep. The typical "modern liberals" are out "killing" people, and once the "killing" is done, they head out for sex with "multiple partners." All this, of course, while conservatives are living the Golden Rule with halos over their heads. That's why conservatives never "kill" people, and have only had sex with one partner their entire lives.

:rolleyes: a thousand times over

The Spaceman says that Kennedy knew he was going to die and that Obama was chosen by the Kennedy family to succeed him and to carry on the work started by the Kennedy's in the 60's.

Obama was "chosen" by the voters last November.

"Reasonable" or not, Obama was not at Kennedy's beside when he died. If fact, he hadn't even been able to see Kennedy at all during his vacation. So "some" are way off base.

Guest American Woman
An interesting column by Peter Worthington.

http://www.ottawasun.com/comment/columnist...1/10694831.html

Can't say I get the title: Duplicity didn’t gnaw at his conscience

Seems Kennedy would do whatever was at the best interest of the Democratic party. Wouldn't that describe most politicians? :huh: One can't say Republicans don't act in the best interest of the Republican party. Seems to me "duplicity" doesn't "gnaw" at most politicians conscience, but blind partisans can only see it when it's 'the other guy' doing it; and I get the impression the author of that column is guilty of being a blind partisan, which makes him guilty of "duplicity" imo. Unless he writes columns pointing out the "duplicity" of conservatives upon their death, too, but I would have to bet that he doesn't.

Edited by American Woman