U.S. Senator Ted Kennedy dies at 77

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/32491712/

BOSTON - Sen. Edward M. Kennedy, the liberal lion of the Senate and haunted bearer of the Camelot torch after two of his brothers fell to assassins' bullets, has died at his home in Hyannis Port after battling a brain tumor. He was 77.

There has been very little legislation in the U.S. that didn't have Kennedy's involvement in it.

Certainly, a terrible loss for the Democratic party and for the Kennedy family coming on the heels of his sister's death.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There has been very little legislation in the U.S. that didn't have Kennedy's involvement in it.

Certainly, a terrible loss for the Democratic party and for the Kennedy family coming on the heels of his sister's death.

I agree and if you are a baby-boomer, then you probably lived through what the Kennedy family had to deal with during the 60's especially. My heart goes out to Caroline, she's lost so many people in her short life but especially Ted, her second father.

Ah yes...my first taste of what real politics was like.

It will remain a stain in his life. After all that I've read about the incident, questions remain.

Still, some Republicans such as Nancy Reagan are remembering the relationship her husband had with Kennedy as a man and a legislator.

Guest American Woman

I've had mixed feelings about Ted Kennedy since Mary Jo Kopechne. I know he's done a lot of good for a lot of people, but I don't see how that can diminish what happened. Still, I'm sure his death will be a loss to many. The Kennedy family sure hasn't had an easy life in spite of 'fame and fortune.'

How would any of us reacted to the stresses the and the pressures Ted Kennedy had to endure? He wasn't perfect, he did admitted his mistakes and his regrets but in the end he did prove to be a great stateman and human being.

Many of us would not have cheated in college, committed criminal vehicular homicide, or covered for a relative accused of sexual assault. Many "great statesmen" have managed to do well without such behavior either.

A necessary development.

Ted Kennedy was diseased traitor to his people and country and has been behind every piece of legislation who's aim was only to injure the american people.

Consider only the ENORMOUS havoc and ruin caused by his infamous Immigration and Nationality Act of 1965 which switched the entire nation off of the road towards harmony and racial progress and unto the ruinous track of anti-white bigotry and multiculturalism.

He also was involved in many schemes to scrap many military projects that had potentials to shorten the cold war. he was a communist defector and sold secrets in 1974 to the soviets to build his campaign for president in 1976... and continued after his failure. In 1978, teddy boy requested the assistance of the KGB to establish a relationship between the Soviet apparatus and a firm owned by former Sen. John Tunney...

When he decided to run for president in 1976, the prostitutes in the media relentlessly boosted and promoted him and even declared him a winner before the election campaign even got under way! The media and crypto-communists in the US were peeing down their legs with joy. Of course, Ted was a political failure and a nincompoop incapable of regimenting anything and his campaign was a catastrophe. He managed to loose to yet another flunky of the left: Carter! who destroyed him.

As a family man he was equally a disaster, a drunken parvenu who (like clinton) sent out members of the secret service to scout whores for him. His wife was interned countless times for alcoholism and "emotional strain" of having to live with such a diseased degenerate.

It's truly a pity that there is no such thing as a hell to put this foul wretch possibly in the same furnace with his father and the other two.

Personally i'll be taking this momentous and splendid news to remember one of the many victims of teddy Kennedy, Mary Jo Kopechne.

Yes loosing Teddy boy Kennedy was more like flushing a toilet then anything else.

Another roadblock toward progress gone. Good riddance I say.

Guest American Woman
How would any of us reacted to the stresses the and the pressures Ted Kennedy had to endure? He wasn't perfect, he did admitted his mistakes and his regrets but in the end he did prove to be a great stateman and human being.

Kennedy returned to his hotel following the crash, placed a number of phone calls, but did not report the accident to the Massachusetts State Police for more than nine hours. An autopsy later revealed that Kopechne had survived for up to an hour in a small air pocket that had formed inside the car. It was widely believed that she would have survived had the accident been reported earlier. link

If you think that "stresses" and "pressures" excuse how Kennedy "reacted" that night, you'd best be prepared to give Republicans/Conservatives the same benefit of the doubt for the "stresses and the pressures" that they've "had to endure."

I've had mixed feelings about Ted Kennedy since Mary Jo Kopechne. I know he's done a lot of good for a lot of people, but I don't see how that can diminish what happened. Still, I'm sure his death will be a loss to many. The Kennedy family sure hasn't had an easy life in spite of 'fame and fortune.'

It doesn't diminish what happened most certainly. It has been this type of egregious event that sparked better crash investigation, laws on leaving the scene of an accident and treating death as a result of accidents as crimes. It also put a spotlight on how the famous and powerful are often treated by police.

I don't think anyone forgot what happened. Certainly some never forgave what happened. However, he lived a life of public service till his death. And for that alone he will be remembered.

It doesn't diminish what happened most certainly. It has been this type of egregious event that sparked better crash investigation, laws on leaving the scene of an accident and treating death as a result of accidents as crimes. It also put a spotlight on how the famous and powerful are often treated by police.

I don't think anyone forgot what happened. Certainly some never forgave what happened. However, he lived a life of public service till his death. And for that alone he will be remembered.

well said

Kennedy returned to his hotel following the crash, placed a number of phone calls, but did not report the accident to the Massachusetts State Police for more than nine hours. An autopsy later revealed that Kopechne had survived for up to an hour in a small air pocket that had formed inside the car. It was widely believed that she would have survived had the accident been reported earlier. link

Sounds as if Mary Jo Kopechne was waterboarded in a way. But at least with regular waterboarding, the suspect doesn't die. :angry:

Sure...no problem. They actually were elected two terms as President and Vice President ! :P

I love it when people are forced to crow about victories from long ago because they’ve since been complete and total losers. But if election and reelection are truly clues to a person’s credibility, then I guess Ted was among the best.

I love it when people are forced to crow about victories from long ago because they’ve since been complete and total losers. But if election and reelection are truly clues to a person’s credibility, then I guess Ted was among the best.

He was the best...just like Senators Byrd or Helms, but never caught the Big One. He was self limiting.....and could never rise above his own flaws.

Ted Kennedy's "victories" go back to at least 1962.....that's a lot of historical crowing...LOL! :lol:

I've always thought of Ted Kennedy as....

Whenever I have thought of Ted Kennedy, I have always thought of National Lampoon and the phrase: "I'll drive off that bridge when I come to it."

The man is dead, and it is ill fitting to speak ill of the dead. But Ted Kennedy, more than his brothers, got his kick at the can.

Guest American Woman

He most certainly did live a life of public service until his death, and he did do a lot of fighting for peoples' rights. He certainly has done a lot of good, and Obama has lost a huge supporter for health care reform in Kennedy's death. It's just difficult for me to dismiss the death that occurred as a result of his actions., but then it's something he had to live with all of his life, and I don't imagine that was easy.

I suppose it's 'the way of things' sometimes when people have done good deeds along with the bad; the good is what they are remembered for and judged by. Another example would be Schindler, who is loved by many Jews in spite of his having been a member of the Nazi party. He's certainly seems to be remembered only as a hero.