Obama's Bow to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia

Here's the video

I wonder whether Obama bowed to Queen Elizabeth.

• • The kicker: But President Obama was reported to have bowed slightly from the waist when he met the royal couple.
Chicago Sun-Times

So here we are. Back into a medieval world determining how deep the bow was as a measure of politeness or deference.

• Replies 63
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here's the video

Chicago Sun-Times

So here we are. Back into a medieval world determining how deep the bow was as a measure of politeness or deference.

I remember walking into a legion with my tuque on. The ex-NCO's shouted at me to take off my hat!, which I did of course. Now I try to remember to remove my toque on the rare occasions that I enter a Legion.

We have been in the medieval world for a long long time. Have never left it.

Obama and his wife nodded from the head at the Queen's visit as well.

http://video.google.ca/videosearch?q=Obama...emb=0&aq=f#

I'm sure Presidents are often a little bewildered about the protocols when they publicly meet a foreign head of state.

Bush danced with the Saudi King which some people thought inappropriate.

http://www.metacafe.com/watch/1046131/what...you_doing_bush/

My thinking is that it is all business at the negotiating table and Presidents are not beholden to anyone based on royalty.

Edited by jdobbin

If her majesty lends America several hundreds billion dollars he also will bow to Queen Elizabeth. :lol:

In any case, I think it's just because Obama is taller than King Abdullah. I remember when I was a kids, every photo in Chinese newpapers showed American President, British PM....bowed to Mao when they were visiting China. Japanese PM was the only guy who didn't bow to Mao...because he just showed looking up to Mao.... :P (Mao is 1.8m, taller than most Chinese and Japanese.)

It looks like a photographic trick, maybe don't need to take it seriously. :rolleyes:

Edited by xul

Obama's Bow to King Abdullah of Saudi Arabia

Remember how the left mocked Bush for holding King Abdullah's hand? Well at least he never bowed before him, yikes. And video is truely disturbing. In case anyone at home is keeping score. So far Obama has been called a comrade from Putin's poodle Medvedev, and now has bowed down before the Saudi King. :lol:

Obama and his wife nodded from the head at the Queen's visit as well.

Uh, Michelle put her arm around the queen, a big nono. But the King of Saudi Arabia gets a bow, unreal.

The Obama administration has been snubbing Great Britian, their most loyal ally, every chance they get.

Uh, Michelle put her arm around the queen, a big nono. But the King of Saudi Arabia gets a bow, unreal.

The Obama administration has been snubbing Great Britian, their most loyal ally, every chance they get.

Ummmm the queen put her arm around Michelle look at the tape. I love modern times becuase there is always a tape so the right can't get away with this shit any more.

Ummmm the queen put her arm around Michelle look at the tape. I love modern times becuase there is always a tape so the right can't get away with this shit any more.

And Queen's spokesman said that the Queen initiated the move and that is why the British media isn't blasting away like they invariably do when someone else does this.

Remember how the left mocked Bush for holding King Abdullah's hand? Well at least he never bowed before him, yikes. And video is truely disturbing. In case anyone at home is keeping score. So far Obama has been called a comrade from Putin's poodle Medvedev, and now has bowed down before the Saudi King. :lol:

This is how Bush greets Arabs.

Edited by scorpio

This is how Bush greets Arabs.
Scorpio, the simple fact that you dug up that photo suggests to me that Obama's bow is going to hurt Obama politically. Are you suggesting that Obama is no better than Bush Jnr?

-----

Whether Bush Jnr or Obama, I am disturbed by this so-called sensitivity to foreign cultures and to other ways of doing things. I note that both the Queen and Prince Phillip met in public foreign dignataries. If Obama travels to Saudi Arabia, will he meet King Abdullah's wife (or wives)? Will Obama present Michelle publicly to the Saudi royal family?

I note that the Saudi king was dressed in traditional garb in London. Should not the US Secretary of State dress in her traditional garb when she travels to Riyadh?

I happen to think that we in the West must sometimes stand up for our particular cultural values. Indeed, given the intellectual and cultural battles of our ancestors, we should not hesitate to do so.

I'm sure Presidents are often a little bewildered about the protocols when they publicly meet a foreign head of state.
In case you don't know Dobbin, Americans have a peculiar approach to protocol. Even the US president uses the simple Honorable.

In his deep bow, I think Obama was trying to make peace (my reading of his life is that Obama is like Laurier: he wants to make peace) and I think for an American president, in this circumstance, that's a mistake. (My further reading of Obama's life, for what it's worth: Obama should be like Trudeau. Discover some truths and defend them strongly.)

Edited by August1991

In his deep bow, I think Obama was trying to make peace (my reading of his life is that Obama is like Laurier: he wants to make peace) and I think for an American president, in this circumstance, that's a mistake.

And all I thought it was was an awkward moment moment rather than one with huge significance.

Ya! Democrats are so medieval when it comes to Saudi royalty, they should be more "Hellenic" like Republicans....

This is how it should be done!

BC Chick, as I noted above, are you saying that Obama is no different from Bush Jnr?

I venture to argue that Americans do not appreciate the sight of a US President kowtowing to a Saudi king. To see one genuflect is even worse.

IMV, Obama made a political mistake (consider that in addition to our times, he's the son of Muslim father). I suspect he bowed simply because his instinct is to want people to get along. In this, he is like Wilfrid Laurier. Unfortunately, I don't think the US president can afford to have such a luxury as a "Sunny Way".

Mrs. Obama was quite the piece of work, while visting the Queen of England ...the poor woman was so enthrawled while being in the presence of Royalty that she actually in her very American way believed she was at frinking Disney Land..she photo opted as if she was standing by MICKEY MOUSE! As for Obama bowing to phoney Saudi Royalty - that condones bum banging of little boys - chopping off of hands - and black mailing the American and European oil elite - who I assume may have partied with the Saudis..and just might have compromised their reputations - those Saudis should have been put in their place a long time ago - and it's a disgrace to the western world that our friend Obama - bows to these evil and false royals.

What the Queen does is not the issue. She is allowed to touch people. That does not then give them the right to put their arm around the queen. Bad form, but I'm not surprised since the Obamas have no experience in these, or many other matters.

these people have no sense of propriety, they are complete "nouveau riche" savages... america has lost what little dignity she had left.

Michelle Obizzle is also a hate filled bigoted chimp-like creature, who's ravings from college are now available here and there on the web. Get a copy of some of her essays, read them, and shudder.

She is infused with an inveterate hatred of white people and western civilization, and now has council with the new boss of canada- B.O.

god help us.

these people have no sense of propriety, they are complete "nouveau riche" savages... america has lost what little dignity she had left.

Michelle Obizzle is also a hate filled bigoted chimp-like creature, who's ravings from college are now available here and there on the web. Get a copy of some of her essays, read them, and shudder.

She is infused with an inveterate hatred of white people and western civilization, and now has council with the new boss of canada- B.O.

god help us.

Gosh you are an idiot...

What the Queen does is not the issue. She is allowed to touch people. That does not then give them the right to put their arm around the queen. Bad form, but I'm not surprised since the Obamas have no experience in these, or many other matters.

Much like the Australian PM Keating a few years ago...

As for Obama bowing to phoney Saudi Royalty - that condones bum banging of little boys - chopping off of hands - and black mailing the American and European oil elite - who I assume may have partied with the Saudis..and just might have compromised their reputations - those Saudis should have been put in their place a long time ago - and it's a disgrace to the western world that our friend Obama - bows to these evil and false royals.

What happened to multiculturalism? You don't sound Canadian here, Oleg? Are you saying our cultures could never meld? That's not the message I am getting from our government. How will they ever evolve to being as civilized as we are if they don't have the opportunity to experience and mix with our culture? We are so superior, you know.

The NYT, circa Bill Clinton in 1994, weighs in on this issue:

"IF I see another king, I think I shall bite him," Teddy Roosevelt once growled. Offered that opportunity with the Japanese equivalent last week, Bill Clinton turned out to have had quite something else in mind.

It wasn't a bow, exactly. But Mr. Clinton came close. He inclined his head and shoulders forward, he pressed his hands together. It lasted no longer than a snapshot, but the image on the South Lawn was indelible: an obsequent President, and the Emperor of Japan.

Canadians still bow to England's Queen; so do Australians. Americans shake hands. If not to stand eye-to-eye with royalty, what else were 1776 and all that about? But Mr. Clinton, alas, is not the only one since George Washington who has seemed not quite to know what to make of monarchs.

There was that curtsy, during the Reagan years, when Lenore Annenberg, herself the chief of protocol, forgot herself entirely and did a little dip to greet a visiting Prince Charles. That prompted a stern warning from Miss Manners against those who might mock the effort that "was once put into freeing Americans from the necessity of bending their knees." Soon afterward, when Nancy Reagan greeted Queen Elizabeth II behind closed doors, her press secretary acknowledged that Mrs. Reagan had bowed her head but insisted, "It was definitely not a curtsy."

NYT 19 June 1994

Autres temps, autres moeurs.