Are we watching an establishment coup d'etat

Lots of analysis on Twitter and elsewhere that we are witnessing a coup  

1. Earliest debate in history

2. Biden is thrown under the bus by liberal media almost in unison

3. The conventions have not happened yet while the primaries are over. 

Will we see the Republicans jail Trump while the Democrats rig their election with super delegates setting up for a more establishment race in both parties? 

De Santis vs Newsome?, Hillary vs Pence? Just some of the options being tossed around

14 minutes ago, West said:

Lots of analysis on Twitter and elsewhere that we are witnessing a coup  

1. Earliest debate in history

2. Biden is thrown under the bus by liberal media almost in unison

3. The conventions have not happened yet while the primaries are over. 

Will we see the Republicans jail Trump while the Democrats rig their election with super delegates setting up for a more establishment race in both parties? 

De Santis vs Newsome?, Hillary vs Pence? Just some of the options being tossed around

Complete hyperbole.  Trump's team agreed and trounced Biden, throwing the viability of his leadership into doubt.

What kind of Coup involves making the person you want to defeat stronger ?

This conspiracy garbage is so tiring...

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Complete hyperbole.  Trump's team agreed and trounced Biden, throwing the viability of his leadership into doubt.

I read that they have until 5pm today to decide to punt Biden or the Democrats won't be able to run their candidate in key swing states. 

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/06/28/biden-democrats-replacement-intervention-column-00165705

It's also now hitting mainstream news even with some mega donors calling for him to step aside

10 minutes ago, West said:

I read that they have until 5pm today to decide to punt Biden or the Democrats won't be able to run their candidate in key swing states. 

Huh?

The primary is over. Biden has all the votes pledged to him now. 

There is no more running a candidate. 

What can happen is Biden can drop out and release his pledged electors, then they can go to whomever Biden asked them to or not... the party convention can be a circus and they can nominate whomever they want to run at that point. 

2 minutes ago, User said:

Huh?

The primary is over. Biden has all the votes pledged to him now. 

There is no more running a candidate. 

What can happen is Biden can drop out and release his pledged electors, then they can go to whomever Biden asked them to or not... the party convention can be a circus and they can nominate whomever they want to run at that point. 

Yeah that's why. The delegates have already voted and in some states they can switch to vote for someone else (in the primary they only choose who they think will vote for their person as a delegate) but certain states won't allow switches after a certain time. 

So even if Biden releases his delegates whomever they choose won't be on the ballot in November

Edited by West

I love how republicans portray democrats as hapless fools who can't do the most basic thing, but  also as super geninus masterminds skilled at complex plots.

Or as weak blue haired transgender lesbians, but also has hardened antifa elite super soldier villans.

Edited by Matthew

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Trump's team agreed and trounced Biden

Oh FFS so you're cowing to the lowbrow perception that  debates are not about subjects but onstage performances too?
Trumped dodged answering hardly any of the subjects, lied to the max, spewed ad hominem and scapegoated migrants as the root cause of every problem. He managed to steer the whole proceeding to be all about himself and Biden clearly was thrown off track by the volume of such vitriol.
Biden did make a few clear scores in actual debate to Trump's zero.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Matthew said:

I love how republicans portray democrats as hapless fools who can't do the most basic thing, but  also as super geninus masterminds skilled at complex plots.

Or as weak blue haired transgender lesbians, but also has hardened antifa elite super soldier villans.

I don't think anyone's' suggesting that it takes genius level smarts to realize Biden's in trouble or that he'll probably lose to trump, and i don't think anyone thinks' he's much of a super soldier :)  

I actually mentioned this when the debates were called - I wondered if they were doing this ahead of the primary (which is very odd) to 'test drive' biden and still have time to do something if he was hopeless.  I was half joking  -but only half.  ;)  

16 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, yes, that's how it works.

For sure. Both campaigns can announce policy anytime they want and hold press conferences etc and criticize each other's policy as well. The debate is about performance. A side-by-side comparison of character, competency, and basically who people like the best.

I mean seriously, when was the last time you learned something brand new about somebody's policies during a debate? It's about how they challenge each other and how they respond.

4 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, yes, that's how it works.

These days

WAS SHAKESPEARE A MAN OF HIS TIMES?
Harvard - 3 points for unchallenged lies
Yale - 1 point for 'nobody can figure out what he said'
Harvard - 1 pt for blaming sunspots on Yale
Yale - 1 pt for claiming conspiracy 1 bonus for not even specifying what conspiracy was
Harvard -  -1 point for striped shirt that wobbled on interlaced TV screens
Yale - 2 pts for using 'I know you are bur what are we"
Harvard - 5 pts for leaping over podium and punching Yale leader in face

HArvard wins 8 pts to 5

Edited by herbie

11 hours ago, Matthew said:

As a Canadian (no dog in this fight), I have noted the same.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Trump didn't beat Biden. He just got out of the way and let Biden be Biden.

6 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

There's truth to that but the fact of the matter is trump did contribute heavily to Biden's bad showing. Trump kept bringing the topics back to issues where Biden was struggling even though the questions had absolutely nothing to do with that.

Trump completely controlled what was being discussed and what Biden was reacting to. That left Biden unable to initiate talking points in many cases but all he could do was respond to trump's statements which meant he couldn't rely on the memorize talking points that he'd been practicing all week.

And when trump forced him away from his scheduled talking points Biden struggled horribly. He became confused And sometimes rambled and it showed. It prevented by me from gaining the initiative and looking strong.

I'm sure Biden wanted to talk about trump's criminal record more. I'm sure he wanted to point out that he allowed his own son to be convicted.  I'm sure he wanted to talk more about trump's behavior and not accepting the last election. I'm sure there are a bunch of other things he wanted to talk about but they got completely glossed over because trump controlled the conversation.

If you go back and rewatch it with that in mind and look at how trump controls what is being discussed you will see that trump actually did a brilliant job of managing the entire debate. He didn't say anything particularly bright or inspiring but he controlled what was being talked about.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

The polls will determine who won/lost not you.

So far SOME polls are saying Biden's approval benefitted from the debate.

1 hour ago, West said:

https://www.foxnews.com/media/hollywood-donors-threaten-stop-giving-dems-biden-not-replaced-candidate-report

It looks like the Hollywierdos are threatening their donations unless the Dems drop Pinocchio Joe

Looks like you still believe FOS LIES BULLSHIT.

8 minutes ago, robosmith said:

So far SOME polls are saying Biden's approval benefitted from the debate.

One and Some are not the same thing.

Polls ending June 28, 2024

President: general election, 2024

June 28
2,315 LV   Biden
43%
45%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
2,086 RV   Biden
45%
44%
Trump   Biden +1
June 28
1,011 LV   Booker
44%
46%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
1,011 LV   Klobuchar
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Shapiro
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Buttigieg
44%
47%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Pritzker
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Newsom
44%
47%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Whitmer
44%
46%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
1,011 LV   Harris
45%
48%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Biden
45%
48%
Trump   Trump +3
June 27-28
841 LV The New York Post Biden
38%
45%
Trump   Trump +7

15 minutes ago, Legato said:

One and Some are not the same thing.

Polls ending June 28, 2024

President: general election, 2024

June 28
2,315 LV   Biden
43%
45%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
2,086 RV   Biden
45%
44%
Trump   Biden +1
June 28
1,011 LV   Booker
44%
46%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
1,011 LV   Klobuchar
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Shapiro
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Buttigieg
44%
47%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Pritzker
43%
46%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Newsom
44%
47%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Whitmer
44%
46%
Trump   Trump +2
June 28
1,011 LV   Harris
45%
48%
Trump   Trump +3
June 28
1,011 LV   Biden
45%
48%
Trump   Trump +3
June 27-28
841 LV The New York Post Biden
38%
45%
Trump   Trump +7

To be honest, it looks to me like they're all just bouncing around inside the margin of error.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in Canada it usually takes four to seven days for a debate result to really percolate through the populationWhen polls start coming in towards the end of next week we'll have a better idea if it move the needle much. Personally I don't expect any huge differences but I suspect we will see trump go up a pointer to and Biden maybe down a point or two. I think one of the big issues is going to be even people who don't change their mind for Biden might suddenly become a lot less motivated to go out and vote

31 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

To be honest, it looks to me like they're all just bouncing around inside the margin of error.

I don't know how it is in the US, but in Canada it usually takes four to seven days for a debate result to really percolate through the populationWhen polls start coming in towards the end of next week we'll have a better idea if it move the needle much. Personally I don't expect any huge differences but I suspect we will see trump go up a pointer to and Biden maybe down a point or two. I think one of the big issues is going to be even people who don't change their mind for Biden might suddenly become a lot less motivated to go out and vote

Yes, the voter turnout could be an issue.

2 hours ago, Legato said:

Yes, the voter turnout could be an issue.

Last time because of covid they had the automatic mail-in ballot sent out which made ballot harvesting very easy and getting the vote out was simple. That will not be the case this time and I don't think their voters are going to be motivated.