Who won the debate?

24 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, exactly... There's another post by West that says we're experiencing a Coup D'etat... of someone not in state (?) by setting up conditions for the debate that work against him.

This in the wake of the worst TV performance since (and before) Nixon in 1960.   

The terrifying thing to me is that when Trump's policies fail, they will accept whatever false reasoning he submits for it without reservation.

I was just bringing up what's been Trending on social media and covered by mainstream outlets.

https://www.politico.com/news/magazine/2024/06/28/biden-democrats-replacement-intervention-column-00165705

I'm not sure if it's a coup or not but interesting hypothesis

13 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, exactly... There's another post by West that says we're experiencing a Coup D'etat... of someone not in state (?) by setting up conditions for the debate that work against him.

This in the wake of the worst TV performance since (and before) Nixon in 1960.   

The terrifying thing to me is that when Trump's policies fail, they will accept whatever false reasoning he submits for it without reservation.

Right? It's just the worst TV performance ever. Period.

Trump was like ChatGPT: all answers given with complete confidence, some of it on topic, half of it just crazy hallucination. 

And still Biden came off worse. He was a verbal trainwreck from the opening question on.

I caught most of the debate and agree with the overwhelming consensus that the debate wasn’t as much a Trump win as it was a massive Biden loss. 

Trump was the same old trump we always see, full of egregious lies the blow up the BS meter.  The Q&A and timed answer even enhanced his image because it prevents him from rambling off on nonsense like getting eaten by sharks etc like he does at his rallies. 

Biden OTOH catastrophically failed in a manner that shocked even his closest supporters and did so in a way that also seemed to confirm voters’ preexisting fears and Republican accusations. There was also the incredibly dumb decision by his people for Biden to unsteadily walk down the steps at the front of the stage after the debate with the help of his wife, just to shake the moderators’ hands. Rather than simply strolling offstage to the side as Trump did, people instead received another visual reminder of Biden’s  frailty as his wife helped him slowly down the steps.   

Some think with the election still 4 months away it’s still possible for Biden to come back and they claim last night’s performance was an anomaly. But even if true it seems that would require Biden to execute an absolutely error-free delivery from now on which was never his strong suit to begin with. I am guessing that would require him to somehow redeem himself with another debate or a hard-ball interview to show that he’s capable of high performance under pressure, which is very risky. If his prospects are not mortally wounded already, another Mr Magoo performance like last night will kill them for sure. Trump for his part might refuse another debate just to deny Biden any chance at redemption. 

3 hours ago, sharkman said:

Funny how the left in this forum can’t admit that Joe lost, when CNN and most Dem talking heads are saying it.  The debate was rigged in Joe’s favour.  No audience.  Tight speaking/microphone rules.  Friendly ‘host’.  

On the right they are suspecting that Joe was allowed to twist in the wind to make it more obvious to the Dem establishment that he needs to go.  Count on this:  the Dem convention in August will be a free for all, and it might even be the end of their chances in ‘24.

All of the extremist freaks will turn it into a $hitt show.

Some may be in a state of denial at the moment but I don't think anybody can argue successfully that Joe absolutely got creamed.

Interesting note, he hasn't actually won the nomination yet. That's still coming up, they haven't held their convention.

I have to wonder after that performance if they're not going to seriously consider forcing him to step aside from the nomination and put someone else in that they think might at least have some sort of chance. Biden is going to lose them this election. That should be relatively clear at this point, I mean nothing is certain in politics but his chances of a win are extremely low.

And after coming at trump with every single thing that they could the democrats have to do everything they can to avoid letting trump win and take revenge.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

they will accept whatever false reasoning he submits for it without reservation.

Trump doesn't try to explain his failures. Like last night he'll just say the thing that failed was a huge success and that 100% of people loved it and that all the experts agree its the best thing that ever happened in human history.

10 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Trump doesn't try to explain his failures. Like last night he'll just say the thing that failed was a huge success and that 100% of people loved it and that all the experts agree its the best thing that ever happened in human history.

Yep.  It is always an extreme. Something is either the best thing of its type that ever happened ever and everyone agrees and everybody was amazed and nobody thought it could be done, OR, It was the worst of its kind in history, nothing has ever been this bad, nobody thought it could get that bad, it's a disaster and everybody involved should be ashamed, it's truly sad that it came to this and you owe me an apology bigly. 

I mean he talks the same way if he's discussing a donut. It's just how he is, he is the master of hyperbole.

The thing is she does it so much that people just accept it and it doesn't hurt him. It's just trump being trump in most people's minds.

But Biden says things that are very clearly wrong and people get that, but because he presents himself as the incredible in what he says it comes across as lying. And that is a problem for him.

A pig that rolls around in the mud doesn't look dirty. That's just how pigs look.

But a guy who paints himself as Mr Clean looks soiled it even a single spot of mud hits him. And that's what Biden is running into right now

Edited by CdnFox

25 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

that's what Biden is running into right now

Ordinarily I'd agree. But that's normal for those who have debated trump. If donny can stand there and look halfway normal for awhile it's a great victory, but for the opponent they have to hit a grand slam. What Biden is running into is that people rapidly decline in their late 70s and 80s. Combine that with a minor cold virus or something and it can really impair someone's functionality. In his state of the union his throat wasn't hoarse and he could look personable and feed off the energy of his allies in the room.

9 minutes ago, Matthew said:

Ordinarily I'd agree. But that's normal for those who have debated trump.

Well you're right but i don't see why that would preclude you agreeing :)  

If donny can stand there and look halfway normal for awhile it's a great victory, but for the opponent they have to hit a grand slam. What Biden is running into is that people rapidly decline in their late 70s and 80s. Combine that with a minor cold virus or something and it can really impair someone's functionality. In his state of the union his throat wasn't hoarse and he could look personable and feed off the energy of his allies in the room.

The problem for him is the sheer number of gaffes and cognitive moments he's had. There is a concern in America that he is past having the mental ability to lead the country. That is a valid concern. 

He really needed to show up with a performance and energy that clearly said that he still had 4 years left to give. That was very important for him.

And unfortunately that is not the message he sent. Next to him trump looked much more energized and coherent, for some reason his entire face and look had plenty of color where Biden was absolutely shock white.

And trump led Biden around by the nose as far as the discussion went. 

I really needed to dispel those rumors and he just couldn't pull it off. As a result of this trump will go stronger and he's already slightly ahead. There are not many chances left who really wow the swing voters. It's hard to come back from this.

Edited by CdnFox

2 hours ago, reason10 said:

Trump kicked that senile unelected pedophile's ASS. And he did it on CNN.

Now the DemoNazi party wants another candidate.

Forget Joe getting elected. Most of America is wondering if he'll  live long enough to see November.

Joe FLAILED on purpose to get clowns like you to underestimate him.

He will look BRILLIANT by comparison at the next debate.

That's true. Joe didn't look suicidal last night, but...

You are delusional. Your favorite NAZI lost the debate last night.

Biden is not going to be reelected. He may not ever live  that long. 

ACTING is Joe's forte. You won't see the truck that hits you coming.

2 hours ago, impartialobserver said:

Modern day politics is like this.

Party X supporter when Party Y candidate is President: He is a dictator. He is running this country into the ground

Party Y supporter when Party X candidate is President: He is a dictator. He is running this country into the ground

But only Trump promised to be a dictator. Huge difference from your false equivalence.

Everything Trump said last night was fact. Unelected JOe was the liar, and Trump was sharp enough to call that senile son of a b!tch on EVERY lie.

Trump put that pedophile in his place. And this November, there aren't enough fake votes to manufacture a victory for that Nazi.

It's going to be Trump in a landslide, just like when he kicked Hitlary's ass.

You are MAGA DELUSIONAL. Congrats, TOP TROLL.

1 hour ago, BeaverFever said:

I caught most of the debate and agree with the overwhelming consensus that the debate wasn’t as much a Trump win as it was a massive Biden loss. 

Yeah I don't see how anyone can view this as anything but an absolute disaster for the democrats.  I turned it off after Biden's opening statement.  What Trump did during the debate never really mattered.  Everyone knew he was just going to rant through his regular slogans and lying BS.  What everyone wanted to see was whether Biden still functioned, but he did his best impression of a vegetable.   

Edited by Moonbox
  • Like 1

17 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Yeah I don't see how anyone can view this as anything but an absolute disaster for the democrats.

It's not a disaster. Democrats had no advantage going into the debate and an already narrow path to election victory in November. So it would have been worse for democrats if biden's performance was just mediocre and maintained the status quo. However, bombing so hard creates a rare game changing development for democrats, in the unlikely event that they choose to strategically take advantage of it.

28 minutes ago, Matthew said:

It's not a disaster. Democrats had no advantage going into the debate and an already narrow path to election victory in November. So it would have been worse for democrats if biden's performance was just mediocre and maintained the status quo. However, bombing so hard creates a rare game changing development for democrats, in the unlikely event that they choose to strategically take advantage of it.

I think it would have been better if Joe showed up with some energy and with a functioning brain.  The only way this gets turned into lemonade is if they very quickly find a replacement.