Jump to content

Recommended Posts

Several Democrats have claimed that the Supreme Court’s conservative majority is “out of control” after a second flag carried by January 6 rioters was seen flying outside Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito’s house.  Mr Alito is facing further backlash following revelations that an “Appeal to Heaven” flag was flown outside his New Jersey vacation home on multiple occasions during the summer of 2023. It comes just a week after an upside down American flag – synonymous with “Stop the Steal” protests – was discovered outside Mr Alito’s Virginia home weeks after the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021.

My gawd. These people are pure more-ons.

First, flying Old Glory upside down is a signal that was used (before radios) to indicate the military was in serious trouble. Since, it has become a symbol that the nation is in trouble. Alito, almost certainly, flew the flag upside down because he was pissed about J6.

Second, the appeal to heaven flag was commissioned to represent the writings of John Locke. John Locke was the philosopher that was heavily relied upon in designing the principles of our Constitution. Locke considered nations to be accountable to God. During the revolution, the flag was used as a symbol of defiance to the oppressive, authoritarian King.

So these more-ons have unwittingly supported J6 and authoritarian governments.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

There’s nothing wrong with the flag pole itself. But his political expression is obvious and you know it.  

His wife's?

There is no rule against Supreme Court Justices being political. Nor do their family members have to abstain from politics. They are people, they register to vote, they register with parties, they still do ordinary people stuff. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

Several Democrats have claimed that the Supreme Court’s conservative majority is “out of control” after a second flag carried by January 6 rioters was seen flying outside Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito’s house.  Mr Alito is facing further backlash following revelations that an “Appeal to Heaven” flag was flown outside his New Jersey vacation home on multiple occasions during the summer of 2023. It comes just a week after an upside down American flag – synonymous with “Stop the Steal” protests – was discovered outside Mr Alito’s Virginia home weeks after the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021.

My gawd. These people are pure more-ons.

First, flying Old Glory upside down is a signal that was used (before radios) to indicate the military was in serious trouble. Since, it has become a symbol that the nation is in trouble. Alito, almost certainly, flew the flag upside down because he was pissed about J6.

Second, the appeal to heaven flag was commissioned to represent the writings of John Locke. John Locke was the philosopher that was heavily relied upon in designing the principles of our Constitution. Locke considered nations to be accountable to God. During the revolution, the flag was used as a symbol of defiance to the oppressive, authoritarian King.

So these more-ons have unwittingly supported J6 and authoritarian governments.

Nothing new.  Remember that time when the left tried to demand that the "OK" finger gesture actually stood for 'white power'?  And then they began to see it anywhere, if someone raised their pinky picking up a cup of tea it was 'white power' etc etc  :)

 

It's what they do and honestly it'll continue and get worse as we get closer to the next election. 

  • Like 1
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, gatomontes99 said:

Several Democrats have claimed that the Supreme Court’s conservative majority is “out of control” after a second flag carried by January 6 rioters was seen flying outside Supreme Court Justice Samuel Alito’s house.  Mr Alito is facing further backlash following revelations that an “Appeal to Heaven” flag was flown outside his New Jersey vacation home on multiple occasions during the summer of 2023. It comes just a week after an upside down American flag – synonymous with “Stop the Steal” protests – was discovered outside Mr Alito’s Virginia home weeks after the Capitol riots on January 6, 2021.

My gawd. These people are pure more-ons.

First, flying Old Glory upside down is a signal that was used (before radios) to indicate the military was in serious trouble. Since, it has become a symbol that the nation is in trouble. Alito, almost certainly, flew the flag upside down because he was pissed about J6.

Second, the appeal to heaven flag was commissioned to represent the writings of John Locke. John Locke was the philosopher that was heavily relied upon in designing the principles of our Constitution. Locke considered nations to be accountable to God. During the revolution, the flag was used as a symbol of defiance to the oppressive, authoritarian King.

So these more-ons have unwittingly supported J6 and authoritarian governments.

Thank you for speaking out. 

These looney tunes are going after Christians like Eric Metaxas and Dutch Sheets as some sort of political extremists for daring to question the election

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, User said:

His wife's?

There is no rule against Supreme Court Justices being political. Nor do their family members have to abstain from politics. They are people, they register to vote, they register with parties, they still do ordinary people stuff. 

 

In REALITY, there IS now RULES which previously applied to ALL OTHER Federal Judges.

And the SCOTUS ADOPTED without any TEETH.

Maybe if you read it, you will see where it applies to certain current cases before the SCOTUS.

Can you read?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Justice Alito’s ‘Stop the Steal’ Flag Is Symbol of New Partisan Era at Supreme Court

Quote

 

Court conservatives seem especially sensitive to the impression that there is a legal counterrevolution in which they are (by all accounts) engaged. Indeed, Amy Coney Barrett, the justice whose late pre-reelection nomination by Donald Trump and speedy confirmation by a Republican-controlled Senate represented the culmination of the conservative conquest of the Court, has been outspoken in arguing that the judicial philosophies of federal judges shouldn’t be conflated with partisan loyalties. And without question, the conflicting hallmarks of the “Roberts Court” (SCOTUS eras are typically identified with the tenure of chief justices) have been a historic if uneven shift to right-wing activism and frantic efforts by the chief to deny, resist, and sometimes even counteract the increasingly strident tendencies of his allies. So you can imagine that Roberts is especially aggrieved by the latest incident illustrating SCOTUS partisanship emanating from Justice Samuel Alito, as reported by the New York Times:

One of the homes flying an inverted flag during that time was the residence of Supreme Court Justice Samuel A. Alito Jr., in Alexandria, Va., according to photographs and interviews with neighbors. The upside-down flag was aloft on Jan. 17, 2021, the images showed. President Donald J. Trump’s supporters, including some brandishing the same symbol, had rioted at the Capitol a little over a week before. Mr. Biden’s inauguration was three days away. Alarmed neighbors snapped photographs, some of which were recently obtained by The New York Times. Word of the flag filtered back to the court, people who worked there said in interviews.

“That time,” to be clear, was shortly after the January 6 insurrection, in which the “inverted flag” was prominently displayed and when, as the Times notes, “the court was still contending with whether to hear a 2020 election case, with Justice Alito on the losing end of that decision.”

The revelation casts a new and baleful light on the furious and defiant tone Alito subsequently adopted in writing and defending the infamous majority opinion in Dobbs v. Jackson Women’s Health Organization, which reversed Roe v. Wade after nearly half a century in which the Court recognized a constitutional right to choose abortion. Roberts, it should be recalled, tried to steer the Court toward a less inflammatory and more incremental attack on abortion rights, but Alito was having none of that. Indeed, the most persuasive (if unprovable) theory about the infamous leak of Alito’s opinion months before Dobbs was announced is that he wanted to freeze the Court where it was lest Roberts succeed in mitigating the damage to its reputation.

If you view the latest stage in Supreme Court evolution as a revolt led by Alito and Clarence Thomas against Roberts’s leadership, the flag-flying incident could well be a landmark moment. In response to the Times report, Alito blamed the incident on his wife (and his neighbor):


We’ll see if the revelation of the freak flag flying at the Alito home spurs Roberts into another frenzy of claims about the independence of a Court majority he clearly no longer controls. But it may be too late. This may ultimately be remembered as the Alito-Thomas Court, signaling an era when control of the commanding heights of the federal judiciary became another prize of partisan supremacy. 

 

The original meaning of those flags has NOTHING to do with the current meaning as used by the Jan 6th insurrectionists. Alito knew that and now the deniers here ALSO do.
 

5.png
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, robosmith said:

In REALITY, there IS now RULES which previously applied to ALL OTHER Federal Judges.

And the SCOTUS ADOPTED without any TEETH.

Maybe if you read it, you will see where it applies to certain current cases before the SCOTUS.

Can you read?

Which part of that says a SCOTUS wife can't engage in any kind of politics, like raising a flag? That a SCOTUS can't fly a historical flag?

I can read just fine. Can you?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, User said:

Which part of that says a SCOTUS wife can't engage in any kind of politics, like raising a flag? That a SCOTUS can't fly a historical flag?

I can read just fine. Can you?

Just cause Alito gratuitously blames his wife does not relieve him of responsibility for the appearances created.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

24 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Just cause Alito gratuitously blames his wife does not relieve him of responsibility for the appearances created.

Sure does. Why wouldn't it? Do you think women can't raise flags? Do you think women aren't patriotic?

Or is this just more of your frequent misogynist thinking?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, robosmith said:

Just cause Alito gratuitously blames his wife does not relieve him of responsibility for the appearances created.

So, where is the section about Alito flying a flag?

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, User said:

There is no rule against Supreme Court Justices being political.

The only cause for justice in a democracy is it being impartial: the decisions are guided by the common principles in the law, not political views and affiliations of the justices. Justice, is about the impartial and apolitical rule of law, not another rule of majority.

Clearly, in the US now this is increasingly not the case. Clearly, the decisions split on political lines indicate degradation of impartiality. This is not a great news for one of the world's oldest democracies. It's not about whose fault it is, it's about the outcome: without objective, impartial justice U.S. will be bound only to further and still more bitter split. With no obvious or easy way back. Not good.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

*giggle*

The Tweenkies are all up in arms over flags being flown. Yet say nothing about their terrorist wing (BLM and ANTIFA) burning the Stars and Stripes. These emasculated little fops are, once again, showing off their obvious hypocrisy. 

Too bad, so sad, Tweenkies. 

Edited by Nationalist
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 5/24/2024 at 7:44 AM, User said:

His wife's?

There is no rule against Supreme Court Justices being political. Nor do their family members have to abstain from politics. They are people, they register to vote, they register with parties, they still do ordinary people stuff. 

 

The SCOTUS is not supposed to be political, its job is to interpret the constitutionality of the laws made by politicians.  Its credibility depends on it and things like this is why their public credibility is at an all time low. It is supposed to be one of those checks and balances that  Americans like you no longer believe in.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/07/21/favorable-views-of-supreme-court-fall-to-historic-low/

https://theweek.com/instant-opinion/1014690/attitudes-toward-the-supreme-court

Edited by Aristides
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The SCOTUS is not supposed to be political, its job is to interpret the constitutionality of the laws made by politicians.  Its credibility depends on it and things like this is why their public credibility is at an all time low. It is supposed to be one of those checks and balances that  Americans like you no longer believe in.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/07/21/favorable-views-of-supreme-court-fall-to-historic-low/

https://theweek.com/instant-opinion/1014690/attitudes-toward-the-supreme-court

ROFLMAO - things like this have zero to do with the low opinion of the courts. 

Democrats claiming that any ruling they don't like is proof that the courts are bias is what degrades support for the courts. Claiming that roe vs wade was NOT overturned based on law but was JUST personal politics is what has lead to that. 

When roe vs wade was handed down a lot of people said " I don't like that decision, i think legally it was a bad decision and here's why but the courts have made their decision and we must respect that".  

When it was overturned i was "some trump judges and a handmaiden who's not a REAL woman made this decision because they were told to or because of personal religious bias and we've been screwed!!"

THEN - you get dem supporters using the courts to go after trump on total witch hunts and  local justices try and keep him from the ballot in an anti-democratic attack. And now everyone thinks that the dems have weaponized the courts against their political opponents.

That is why we have a record low trust in the courts. Not because of a flag.

Nice try. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

ROFLMAO - things like this have zero to do with the low opinion of the courts. 

Democrats claiming that any ruling they don't like is proof that the courts are bias is what degrades support for the courts. Claiming that roe vs wade was NOT overturned based on law but was JUST personal politics is what has lead to that. 

When roe vs wade was handed down a lot of people said " I don't like that decision, i think legally it was a bad decision and here's why but the courts have made their decision and we must respect that".  

When it was overturned i was "some trump judges and a handmaiden who's not a REAL woman made this decision because they were told to or because of personal religious bias and we've been screwed!!"

THEN - you get dem supporters using the courts to go after trump on total witch hunts and  local justices try and keep him from the ballot in an anti-democratic attack. And now everyone thinks that the dems have weaponized the courts against their political opponents.

That is why we have a record low trust in the courts. Not because of a flag.

Nice try. 

Bullshit. The Republicans and Trump were very open about their intentions when they stacked the court. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The SCOTUS is not supposed to be political, its job is to interpret the constitutionality of the laws made by politicians.  Its credibility depends on it and I things like this is why their public credibility is at an all time low. It is supposed to be one of those checks and balances that  Americans like you no longer believe in.

https://www.pewresearch.org/short-reads/2023/07/21/favorable-views-of-supreme-court-fall-to-historic-low/

https://theweek.com/instant-opinion/1014690/attitudes-toward-the-supreme-court

So you are saying...essentially...that a SCOTUS judge cannot express his/her beliefs, nor allow his/her mates/families to do so...AND...that a SCOTUS judge CANNOT rule on constitutional issues and laws if said judge has expressed their beliefs.

Can a SCOTUS judge wear a cross on a necklace? How about a pin that's a foreign nation's flag? Or display an alphabet soup letter flag?

You accuse SCOTUS judges of being unable to separate their beliefs, from the constitutional laws. And in thinking about it, that makes sense...

Since we now see New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Merchan IS INCAPABLE of presiding over a rather obviously politically motivated case, without imposing his personal beliefs. So a Libbie knows he/she can't make impartial or impersonal rulings and decisions. They are literal slaves to their emotions and cannot believe anyone can truly be impartial.

Edited by Nationalist
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Bullshit. The Republicans and Trump were very open about their intentions when they stacked the court. 

Nonsense. But that kind of bullshit talk is exactly why people have lost faith. We go experts had problems with the original roe versus Wade since the day it came down. It was always contentious and many felt it wasn't appropriate. If you actually read the legal reasoning behind their decisions it's pretty solid.

But of course partisans like you have to insist that the only reason it was passed was because trump "Stacked the court"

But yeah, it's a flag that's turned people against the courts for sure 🙄

Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

So you are saying...essentially...that a SCOTUS judge cannot express his/her beliefs, nor allow his/her mates/families to do so...AND...that a SCOTUS judge CANNOT rule on constitutional issues and laws if said judge has expressed their beliefs.

Can a SCOTUS judge wear a cross on a necklace? How about a pin that's a foreign nation's flag? Or display an alphabet soup letter flag?

You accuse SCOTUS judges of being unable to separate their beliefs, from the constitutional laws. And in thinking about it, that makes sense...

Since we now see New York Supreme Court Judge Juan Merchan IS INCAPABLE of presiding over a rather obviously politically motivated case, without imposing his personal beliefs. So a Libbie knows he/she can't make impartial or impersonal rulings and decisions. They are literal slaves to their emotions and cannot believe anyone can truly be impartial.

I am saying that. You will never hear a Canadian supreme court justice expressing political views. They have more respect for their position and responsibilities in a constitutional democracy.

A judge's job is to be impartial, that's why we have them.

 

Edited by Aristides
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Bullshit. The Republicans and Trump were very open about their intentions when they stacked the court. 

Yes they were. That's because they knew Roe V Wade was unconstitutional. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Yes they were. That's because they knew Roe V Wade was unconstitutional. 

Whether one agrees with the decision or not is irrelevant. The point is, a court was intentionally stacked by politicians to achieve a political goal. That is not what a supreme court is for.

Judges like Thomas couldn't do more to destroy the court's credibility if he was actually trying.

Edited by Aristides
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, Aristides said:

The SCOTUS is not supposed to be political, its job is to interpret the constitutionality of the laws made by politicians.  Its credibility depends on it and things like this is why their public credibility is at an all time low. It is supposed to be one of those checks and balances that  Americans like you no longer believe in.

The SCOTUS is not supposed to be political in its rulings. Its members are still people with families who participate in the normalcy of life and the world. 

There is no such absurd expectation that a family member can never engage in politics or merely flying a flag. 

I wonder, were you this outraged when RBG was outright attacking Trump in her public speech during the 2016 election?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Unfortunately, your content contains terms that we do not allow. Please edit your content to remove the highlighted words below.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Tell a friend

    Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

    • Total Members
      10,750
    • Most Online
      1,403

    Newest Member
    Betsy Smith
    Joined
  • Recent Achievements

    • wwef235 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • phoenyx75 went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • User went up a rank
      Mentor
    • NakedHunterBiden earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Videospirit earned a badge
      One Month Later
  • Recently Browsing

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...