Liberal Green Policy

Perhaps members can help resolve a discussion I had with a enthusiastic supporter of the Liberals save the world agenda. 

Can anyone give an example of a Liberal green initiative that doesn't involve party members or friends making a lot of money? Can you think of a single initiative that would cost party members or their friends money?

My own opinion, Liberal green policy has nothing to do with the environment but is an effort to reorganize the economy to make themselves an obscene amount of money.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

35 minutes ago, paradox34 said:

The entire EV farce!

How is that Liberal?? BC is NDP. Ontario is Conservative.

What liberal " party members or friends making a lot of money"?

And why are EV's a farce??

Edited by ExFlyer

54 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

You should really watch some of the proceedings from the many inquiries going on recently and currently.

Also, there's even been quite a few "conflict of interest" scandals in the news - Mary Ng, Anita Anand, Trudeau himself, Frank Bayliss, Rouleau, etc.  Many Libs gave sweet contracts to friends and family during the pandemic.  

In the ArrivScam inquiry, it also came out that many Libs are "double-dipping" - working in gov't positions while also picking up contracts to do other gov't work.

• Like 3

22 hours ago, paradox34 said:

Perhaps members can help resolve a discussion I had with a enthusiastic supporter of the Liberals save the world agenda. 

Can anyone give an example of a Liberal green initiative that doesn't involve party members or friends making a lot of money? Can you think of a single initiative that would cost party members or their friends money?

My own opinion, Liberal green policy has nothing to do with the environment but is an effort to reorganize the economy to make themselves an obscene amount of money.

Of course it's about money.  What part of "Green" confused you? :) 

I do not know about Canada but in the US.. it almost always boils down to a mismatch between the dreams of the supporters and financial/technological limitations. Wind energy.. very high economies of scale. in short, one windmill is not going to recoup your cost. You need a lot of them and that is quite expensive. That is just one example. 

Just now, impartialobserver said:

I do not know about Canada but in the US.. it almost always boils down to a mismatch between the dreams of the supporters and financial/technological limitations. Wind energy.. very high economies of scale. in short, one windmill is not going to recoup your cost. You need a lot of them and that is quite expensive. That is just one example. 

well sure.  I mean  we've had amazing success in Canada with hydro power - at least 2 of our main provinces and the entire maritimes basically run on hydro power.

But most of our 'green' programs involve taxes to discourage dirty fuels.  And mostly they just put money in the pockets of the political parties or their friends. That's what he's complaining about.

22 hours ago, paradox34 said:

Good point.

Frankly humans will engage in nepotism. Just the way we are wired. But the "green" movement itself...overall...is a financial disaster.

And for what? What "crisis" is so desperate and so obvious, that dragging the entire economy through the mud is warranted?

It doesn't exist. There is no crisis. It's all based on fear and warped ideas. Follow the money...as you suggest...and you'll find this whole green movement is nothing but a money and power grab.

At the expense of all but a choice few.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

How is that Liberal?? BC is NDP. Ontario is Conservative.

And why are EV's a farce??

The feds have recently committed to well  over 20 billion dollars in spending on 'ev' and ev related construction and manufacturing. It's certainly not "provincial" only.

3 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

well sure.  I mean  we've had amazing success in Canada with hydro power - at least 2 of our main provinces and the entire maritimes basically run on hydro power.

But most of our 'green' programs involve taxes to discourage dirty fuels.  And mostly they just put money in the pockets of the political parties or their friends. That's what he's complaining about.

The unrealistic view then results in the supporters needing public funding or legislation. From there, the shady stuff happens. Politicians getting a cut, the supplier (wind, solar, geothermal) overestimating how it will cost, and all that comes with it. Prior to my time with the state government, I worked for a nonprofit whose mission was alternative energy. Those folks while smart were impossibly unrealistic. According to them.. the only reason that everybody did not have solar panels on their roof was laziness. 

• Haha 1

8 minutes ago, impartialobserver said:

The unrealistic view then results in the supporters needing public funding or legislation. From there, the shady stuff happens. Politicians getting a cut, the supplier (wind, solar, geothermal) overestimating how it will cost, and all that comes with it. Prior to my time with the state government, I worked for a nonprofit whose mission was alternative energy. Those folks while smart were impossibly unrealistic. According to them.. the only reason that everybody did not have solar panels on their roof was laziness. 

That's part of it.   Another part is the structure to begin with - the tax is SUPPOSED to work by giving rebates equal roughly to what you get taxed - and therefore people who reduce their fuel consumption will get a 'benefit'.

However its designed not to actually happen that way. First off they charge the tax ON other taxes and that doesn't get mentioned, the parliamentary budget watchdog has said most people are not getting back what they put in and because they base in from last years as long as there's some inflation there's always money the gov't is 'holding on to' that the can use and replace with next year's money, and because they're secretive about how much is taken in and paid out precisely (mixing it in with other revenues) there's also significant concerns they are not paying out as much as they said they would, and that has been confirmed some years.

Then of course when accused of that the gov't will commission a study :)  and one of the liberals' friends will get paid close to a million to write  a report that says "nope - it's all good".

41 minutes ago, Goddess said:

You should really watch some of the proceedings from the many inquiries going on recently and currently.

Also, there's even been quite a few "conflict of interest" scandals in the news - Mary Ng, Anita Anand, Trudeau himself, Frank Bayliss, Rouleau, etc.  Many Libs gave sweet contracts to friends and family during the pandemic.  

In the ArrivScam inquiry, it also came out that many Libs are "double-dipping" - working in gov't positions while also picking up contracts to do other gov't work.

For EV'S?

Topic is electric vehicles and green initiatives.

I know how difficult it is for you to stay on topic but, please try LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

Oh let's not waste money investing in EVs. China can build them for us. The USA can build our planes. California can grow our food. Sell off PEI for summer cabins and let Idaho grow them taters.

We'll jess git back to choppin' wood, Boss.

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Of fools like you going off into never never land again?? LOL

Of the inquiries and committees.

There a quite a few channels on YouTube that livestream them or show parts of them.

You can also follow the actual politicians who are assigned to the committees - Larry Brock is on quite a few of them and he gives lots of updates.

I also have gotten to quite like Kelly Block - she asks really good questions in the committees.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, Goddess said:

Of the inquiries and committees.

There a quite a few channels on YouTube that livestream them or show parts of them.

You can also follow the actual politicians who are assigned to the committees - Larry Brock is on quite a few of them and he gives lots of updates.

I also have gotten to quite like Kelly Block - she asks really good questions in the committees.

WTF?????

You on drugs or cannot  read? RTFQ...and answer that.

"Can anyone give an example of a Liberal green initiative that doesn't involve party members or friends making a lot of money? "

On 4/29/2024 at 12:21 PM, Michael Hardner said:

Do you think we can see peoples' bank accounts ?

@eyeball is your initiative rolled out yet ?

Shouldn't have to here I don't think.  MP's need to disclose their assets to the conflict of interest commissioner soon after they've been elected.

https://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/en/rules-reglements/Pages/Comp-Proc-MPs-Proc-Conf-Deputes.aspx

I think it's just when they or their staff are being lobbied by people like Honda that we also need to be in the room.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

32 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Shouldn't have to here I don't think.  MP's need to disclose their assets to the conflict of interest commissioner soon after they've been elected.

https://ciec-ccie.parl.gc.ca/en/rules-reglements/Pages/Comp-Proc-MPs-Proc-Conf-Deputes.aspx

I think it's just when they or their staff are being lobbied by people like Honda that we also need to be in the room.

So that when they reach a corrupt deal you can vote for them again? Why?

Oh - right unless it's a party you don't like.  You did say that before. My bad.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Where exactly did I say that you lying sack-o-shit?

Ooooops - triggered leftie is triggered :) 

What do i get if i take the time to dig it up? Or will it just be you pretending you didn't say that in a few minutes?