Poilievre plans to move non-confidence motion in Trudeau, despite Liberal-NDP deal

https://www.ctvnews.ca/politics/poilievre-plans-to-move-non-confidence-motion-in-trudeau-call-for-carbon-tax-election-1.6814813

Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre is threatening to move a motion of non-confidence in the prime minister with the aim of prompting a "carbon tax election," if Justin Trudeau doesn't back off the April 1 price hike.

After question period there will be a vote on Tuesday's opposition day motion(opens in a new tab) that called on "the NDP-Liberal coalition to immediately cancel this hike," citing the "70 per cent of provinces and 70 per cent of Canadians" opposed to the 23 per cent increase to $80 from $65 per tonne of carbon emissions. 

Now, with another opposition day debate and vote scheduled for Thursday, it appears the Conservatives are ready to up the ante, even if the move is not likely to succeed.

Obviously the goal here is to force the NDP to own the tax as much as the liberals.  AND to once again rub it in people's faces that the NDP is what gives justin the power to do what he does.

It's a good move politically but obviously the motion won't succeed unless the ndp completely does a 180 which it won't.

• Like 1

It also raises the question, what will Pierre Poilievre's policy and position be towards climate change?

Behave as if it doesn't matter it is what his supporters appear to want and it looks like that's what PP is delivering.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It also raises the question, what will Pierre Poilievre's policy and position be towards climate change?

it does but it also doesn't.

This really isn't about climate change, it's about affordability. When the carbon tax increase we're about to have was proposed it was pre covid, and pre inflation, and PP is not demanding they axe the tax here, he's saying things have changed and people can't afford this, don't raise the carbon tax right now.

So this isn't really part of the climate change debate - that will come later when they fight over axing the tax during an election and he'll have to put forward an alternative plan.

But right now this is more about people being able to afford to eat.  IF the idea of the tax was that it would encourage people to use as little energy as they can then that's already happening with our current inflation and pricing.

The thing is - the libs NEED that tax to go up.  The whole carbon tax is a pyramid or ponzi style scheme for them - they raise the tax this year but the rebates are based on a year ago so if it keeps going up they're collecting a lot of tax dollars that won't be rebated. if they stop raising the tax they'll be in trouble.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

This really isn't about climate change, it's about affordability.

It's about seducing the canine.

So this isn't really part of the climate change debate - that will come later when they fight over axing the tax during an election and he'll have to put forward an alternative plan.

Sure, he'll just screw the pooch in an alternate position.

But right now this is more about people being able to afford to eat.  IF the idea of the tax was that it would encourage people to use as little energy as they can then that's already happening with our current inflation and pricing

Yup, we always knew adaptation would be a real biatch and we haven't seen anything yet. Not even close.

The thing is - the libs NEED that tax to go up.  The whole carbon tax is a pyramid or ponzi style scheme for them

If the tax system is prone to corruption perhaps PP can do something about it. But I haven't heard much from PP on anti-corruption measures either so I'm hedging my expectations.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

It's about seducing the canine.

No, it's got a political purpose and you can say what you like about PP but you can't say that he's either lazy or unsuccessful with promoting his party or his position.

Sure, he'll just screw the pooch in an alternate position.

LOL - sounds like someone's bitter his side isn't doing well :)  

Yup, we always knew adaptation would be a real biatch and we haven't seen anything yet. Not even close.

Well justin's policies have robbed people of that option for the most part

If the tax system is prone to corruption perhaps PP can do something about it.

He will.  Axe the tax.

But I haven't heard much from PP on anti-corruption measures either so I'm hedging my expectations.

He's talked about little else. Maybe the challenge is you hear what you want to hear.

Just how is Carbon Tax a confidence issue?

Sheer grandstanding by a populist ass. Never says the tax goes up 3.5¢ or everyone would just say damn! and get on with life. Gotta always refer to it a 23% so uneducated buffoons will think it's a buck and panic.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, herbie said:

Just how is Carbon Tax a confidence issue?

It is in a few ways but any item is a confidence issue if it's declared to be so. The opposition can call for a vote of no confidence because of the colour of trudeau's socks if they want.

Then the mps' have to vote - during a normal majority gov't it's not an issue because the gov't has a majority so they can't lose unless backbenchers revolt.  In this case the ndp will prop up the libs - but that will mean they'll have to take part ownership for the hardships this tax causes.

• Haha 1

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, herbie said:

I.O.W. it is because PP says it is and his flunkies agree. Just as they'll agree when it flops, it was a worthwhile use of Parliament's time no doubt.

Sigh. 

So basically you're saying at this point that you have no idea how parliament or our system is designed or operates.

Well...  not shocked really but still.

I'm sure you'd consider any act of democracy to be a waste of parliaments time - it should just stay justin and jagmeet forever and nobody else should be allowed to have a say.

Edited by CdnFox
  • Like 2

Here's a crazy assed scenario -

The ndp is not polling well but they are polling better than they did last election and the libs are very weak and could collapse during an election.

Maybe Jaggers decides 'What the hell" and pulls an all out surprise attack and says "we disagree with stopping the carbon tax rise but we do agree that trudeau isn't doing enough for canadians during these hard times and we'll go to an election on it"

TOTALLY catch the libs off guard and distance themselves and try to catch the voters angry with the libs but who won't go cpc.

It could happen :)  

14 hours ago, eyeball said:

I hope it isn't a carbon tax, because this is clearly not working.

Emissions are up. Not down. None of Trudeau's targets have been hit.

It costs me more to fuel my car, but I need to drive as do many people who work a lot on the road. 

You can't punish tax payers. The pressure should be firmly on the shoulders of auto makers. Fuel companies. 

This is nothing but a wealth redistribution program, and middle class folk like myself, are excluded from the party.

I have dependents as well.

Taxes only go up 3 cents, but how much will the gas stations bump their prices by? Some will likely see an 8 to 10 cent hike. 

Doesn't sound like a big deal, but gas is already unaffordable. 

An EV isn't a financial priority, as my funds are allocated to business.

Trudeau needs to realize that you can't pressure people to be green. 

You need to provide them with better alternatives.

You're otherwise doing nothing but hurting tax payers, who will be quick to vote you out.

• Like 1

Trudeau cuts our co2 in half, what does that do for CC? Absolutely nothing,  but breaks a great nation. He is bucking for some big job either with the UN or some other big WOKE organization. 

• Like 2

Pixie-Dust and his pink headdress lapdoggie are falling fast. The Tweenkies try to defend them but...the carbon war has always been a stupid idea. Especially while we're trying to recover from an economic disaster.

Meh...stupid is as stupid does.

Have an apple.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Pixie-Dust and his pink headdress lapdoggie are falling fast. The Tweenkies try to defend them but...the carbon war has always been a stupid idea. Especially while we're trying to recover from an economic disaster.

Meh...stupid is as stupid does.

Have an apple.

Yeah but, it is just another show business effort by PP.

Will go nowhere.

Edited by ExFlyer

8 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Here's a crazy assed scenario -

The ndp is not polling well but they are polling better than they did last election and the libs are very weak and could collapse during an election.

Maybe Jaggers decides 'What the hell" and pulls an all out surprise attack and says "we disagree with stopping the carbon tax rise but we do agree that trudeau isn't doing enough for canadians during these hard times and we'll go to an election on it"

TOTALLY catch the libs off guard and distance themselves and try to catch the voters angry with the libs but who won't go cpc.

It could happen :)  

I think they will hang on...

Screenshot-20240320-225509-Instagram.jpg

5 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I hope it isn't a carbon tax, because this is clearly not working.

It seems to work in BC. We're not even freaked out by it. It doesn't work in Ottawa because the Liberals have taken incompetence to a new level and Conservatives have taken political hatred to the same place.

In the meantime 90% of economists still think a carbon tax is the best way to go.

A carbon tax is better than asking the “heavy hand” of government to “pick winners and losers” with regulations and subsidies. “I prefer a cleaner solution, a market-based solution, of saying, ‘You know what? If you’re behaving in ways that are gonna cause pollution that is going to impact the whole community, you should pay for that pollution.” Categorizing carbon emissions as “pollution” is slippery sleight-of-hand but if such emissions do harm the climate, an overwhelming majority of economists — 90 per cent in a Clark Center poll of American A-listers — believe a carbon tax is the way to go.

https://financialpost.com/opinion/trudeau-embraces-market-poilievre-class-warfare

We need to be governed by experts not politicians.

All I can say is that I'm bloody thankful Poilievre wasn't in charge during COVID and Trudeau, for whatever reason realized he was in over his head and let the experts call the shots.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It seems to work in BC. We're not even freaked out by it.

I don't know if you didn't have internet under your rock at the time but people absolutely did freak out about it. :)  Horgan came under intense pressure to slow it's growth but he said it was a federal thing so what could he do.

https://vancouver.citynews.ca/2022/03/03/gas-prices-bc-horgan/

And eby is kind of hiding behind that as well.

And it didn't work in bc. The data is clear, emissions went up radically despite the tax.  And that was predicted.  Some research indicates that there may have been a 5-10 percent SLOWDOWN in the growth - but even that seems to have evaporated now.  It was useless.

In the meantime 90% of economists still think a carbon tax is the best way to go.

No, 90 percent of a very elite group of american economists.  People who make money by agreeing with the left for the most part.

And some how that became 90 percent of all economists everywhere.

They don't actually do polls on the subject with the general economist 'population' because the truth is most realize it doesn't work due to the fact that choice in expenditure on things like fuel isnt' "elastic' as the original models believed.  And there have been many papers on that.

All I can say is that I'm bloody thankful Poilievre wasn't in charge during COVID and Trudeau, for whatever reason realized he was in over his head and let the experts call the shots.

He didn't.  The vast majority of actions were taken by the provinces, not trudeau.

Trudeau's job was to get vaccines. Trudeau cost us 2 months of no vaccine because he did a deal with china and gave them hundreds of millions but they stiffed him on supplying any and we had to go begging. If polievre had been in power we certainly would have had vaccines sooner and probably would have been producing our own seeing as there was a canadian company ready to go and trudeau completely snubbed them in favour of china.

what trudeau DID do is weaponize covid to win an eleciton. He turned people against one another, he said that people who didn't agree with him were bigots and mysoginists and wastes of space - and that lead to the convoys and now it's going to lead to a swing ot the right in politics in canada.  It's already happening.

You live in this weird little unreality bubble where whatever 'facts' you need to support your preferred conclusions just magically pop up - but they're not real.

Trudeau has permanently changed canada for the worse.  we will never be the country we were, where helping your neighbour was the national pastime and being tolerant of others was part of the Canadian identity. that's gone.  And you're 'happy' about it for some reason.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

It'll go to to 24 Sussex Drive. And you know it.

24 Sussex? That empty house. The one that has been empty since 2015?

if you are speaking of next election that will be in October 2025.

But if you are speaking about PP's latest parlour trick, it will go nowhere.

5 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Trudeau has permanently changed Canada for the worse.  We will never be the country we were, where helping your neighbour was the national pastime and being tolerant of others was part of the Canadian identity. That's gone.  And you're 'happy' about it for some reason.

We live in the 'land of plenty' with all the food, fuel, and natural resources needed . . . .  yet, our standard of living is drastically dropping . . . and, our inherent enthusiasm to make things happen is fading fast.  This all goes back to Trudeau, he's destroyed the framework of Canada for his own interests.  He's a traitor.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

24 Sussex? That empty house. The one that has been empty since 2015?

if you are speaking of next election that will be in October 2025.

But if you are speaking about PP's latest parlour trick, it will go nowhere.

You don't think Polievre expects to topple the government with this, do ya?

The objective is not to topple the minority government so much as it is to force Singh and the NDP to further scar themselves in the public eye.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

You don't think Polievre expects to topple the government with this, do ya?

The objective is not to topple the minority government so much as it is to force Singh and the NDP to further scar themselves in the public eye.

No, i don't think he will. jagmeet will back up justin and we go on as before.

Jagmeet and his gang have already shown their stripes They will pay next year. That is a given.

Problem is we will have another 18 months of potential damage.