Canada Falls Out of Top 10 Freest Places On Earth

https://kingsvilletimes.ca/2023/01/canada-falls-out-of-top-10-freest-places-on-earth/

The index measures personal freedom—the rule of law, safety and security, identity and relationships (i.e. the freedom to choose your relationship partner), freedom of movement, speech, assembly and religion—alongside economic freedom, the ability of individuals to make their own economic decisions.

This year, Canada ranks as the 13th freest country in the world (based on 2020 data, the earliest available) compared to 6th in last year’s ranking (based on 2019 data).

Switzerland, once again, tops this year’s freedom ranking followed by New Zealand, Estonia, Denmark, Ireland, Sweden, Iceland, Finland, the Netherlands and Luxembourg. The five least-free countries are (in descending order) Egypt, Iran, Venezuela, Yemen and Syria.

While we take no position on the necessity of COVID policies, they unquestionably limited freedom worldwide. From 2019 to 2020, 94.3 per cent of the world’s population experienced a decline in freedom.

Sigh.  Another milestone for trudeau's legacy.

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

The fraser institute is 'Unheard of"?  Kay.

Sounds like someone goofed the headline (which is written by the editor ) but all the information in the article is the same. '

So - once again you attempt to defend the liberals by attempting to distract people from the facts.  Kinda sad.  Guess there's nothing else for you to say though.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

The US only boasts 23rd place.

Thank Trudeau for that too I guess - cancellation by association.

Sure because that makes sense.

Whatever biden its doing in the states is biden's business.  But once again the resident trudeau supporter (Who only does it as a joke honest) is trying to defect from the issue rather than address it

You guys are absolutely shameless.  What was that about 'accountability'?

• Like 1
  • Downvote 2

53 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

You guys are absolutely shameless...trying to defect from the issue rather than address it

What issue, that we have less freedom? Fu ck off, you're completely full of shit.

We have way more now than we did under Conservatives, as evidenced by the end of prohibition.

Thousands upon thousands of Canadians have been prevented from receiving criminal convictions for cannabis.

24 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What issue, that we have less freedom?

Yep.  That's what the article is about. Or more accurately we're slipping down the scale.  Of course - seeing as it was under trudeau's time you'll probably have a hissy fit

Fu ck off, you're completely full of shit.

Oh dear.  Well....  I did call it....

We have way more now than we did under Conservatives, as evidenced by the end of prohibition.

We have far less, as evidenced by the siezure of personal assets without lawful excuse and the decleration of the emergency act to fight "unlawful' bouncy castles.

Thousands upon thousands of Canadians have been prevented from receiving criminal convictions for cannabis.

Hundreds of thousands have been turned into criminals by the new gun laws.

Game set and match my little trudeau loving commie :)

But at the end of the day the score is what the score is. Trudeau is a tyrant to the absolute limits of the law.  And jaggers is no better.

4 hours ago, eyeball said:

What issue, that we have less freedom? Fu ck off, you're completely full of shit.

Don't forget freedom to live in a tent, freedom to wait a super long time to access healthcare, freedom to commit crimes with lesser sentences, freedom to have your phone's location secretly tracked by the government during COVID without your consent or knowledge, freedom to be coerced into getting vaccines you don't want by the government, and freedom for China to interfere in our elections etc

But yeah, marijuana

• Like 4

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

Correct. 

People can steal cars, and be back on the street the next day, more than  likely. 

Assault. Theft. Slaps on the wrists.

I get a push button start SUV, I now should consider adding a GPS system on it, and 360 dash cameras. 

Criminals have never had it better.

Why get a job?

• Like 3

26 minutes ago, eyeball said:

The 1% also took the great liberty Liberals bestowed on them to get even more putrescently wealthy. 

But I knew that would happen long before anyone had even heard of Justin Trudeau.

So you've realized that your original position was childish and you're now moving on to blame the rich.   Can we just skip to the part where it's all harper's fault?

The liberals didn't make the rich richer (other than themselves of course).  They made everyone else poorer. So it feels like the rich are richer.

Just now, ironstone said:

Tell that to protesters that had their bank accounts frozen.

Tell that to Jordan Peterson too while you're at it.

Compared to thousands and thousands of people not receiving criminal records for pot? To this day there are still a 1/4 million Canadians with convictions on their record.

Tell Jordan Peterson et al to get a grip too.

• Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Compared to thousands and thousands of people not receiving criminal records for pot? To this day there are still a 1/4 million Canadians with convictions on their record.

Why do so many leftists lives revolve around getting high and only getting high? It's pot, pot, pot with you guys.

50 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Not in the least.

So you didn't realize what you said was childish?  Wow.

Why, what did he do?

That's never been a question in the past when you've blamed him for everything, why would you care now?

46 minutes ago, eyeball said:

So you admit that there was virtually no benefit to freedom from the pot thing. It was at the very least a 'nothing' issue. Compared to illegally repressing 18,000 people's right to protest and seizing their assets, and forcing hundreds of thousands of canadians to get medical treatment against their will, and controlling and compelling speech etc etc.

Then there's the carbon tax. Litearally taking your money to compel behaviour they approve of.

The dope thing is nothing.  It's like 'plus one' for freedom but then minus several million for all the other things he's done.

30 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So you didn't realize what you said was childish?  Wow.

Nope, not even the least slightest bit.

31 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

That's never been a question in the past when you've blamed him for everything, why would you care now?

Everything? Get a grip.

27 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

So you admit that there was virtually no benefit to freedom from the pot thing.

No, I've admitted nothing at all to you.

It was at the very least a 'nothing' issue. Compared to illegally repressing 18,000 people's right to protest and seizing their assets, and forcing hundreds of thousands of canadians to get medical treatment against their will, and controlling and compelling speech etc etc.

18000 people lost their assets?  LMAO!

Then there's the carbon tax. Litearally taking your money to compel behaviour they approve of.

LMAO!

The dope thing is nothing.  It's like 'plus one' for freedom

One step forward is still progress.

but then minus several million for all the other things he's done.

So is it 18000 or several million?

So you admit you're all over the place here.

2 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Nope, not even the least slightest bit.

Well i guess a child wouldn't...

Everything? Get a grip.

Seeing as you blame him for everything, shouldn't you be saying that to yourself? :)

No, I've admitted nothing at all to you.

Ahhh  but you do.  You just try to walk it back later :)

18000 people lost their assets?  LMAO!

They lost their legal right to protest - and there was about 8 million in assets seized as well. Far more than the imaginary charges you're talking about :)   And that's just on ONE issue.

LMAO!

Heh - that's what you say when you know i'm right and you've got no argument :)  So there you go - the carbon tax is regressive and impacts people's freedoms to spend their money as they see fit.

One step forward is still progress.

Not if it's followed by 20 steps back.  And it was,

So is it 18000 or several million?

For ALL the things he's done? Why would it be 18,000?  Oh - i forgot that math is hard for you.

Justin has taken away vastly more freedom than he's given - and canada is a less free and more repressive place as a result.

Your efforts once again to defend him at all costs (just a joke i'm sure) just serve to highlight what a wannabe tyrant he is.

It's interesting how closely the top 10 countries in the Human Freedom Index  matches the top 10 in Statista's 2023 Economic Freedom Index. Canada and the U.S. remain relatively in their same positions in both. But I believe most of us already understand how debt and tax burden influences economic freedom, and how economic freedom influences individual freedom. You seldom have one without the other. Dare I mention capitalism?

33 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

They lost their legal right to protest - and there was about 8 million in assets seized as well. Far more than the imaginary charges you're talking about :)   And that's just on ONE issue.

Donations (not assets) were mostly refunded from the various platforms, and funds that weren't were held in escrow pending civil lawsuits against them.  

As for their right to protest anywhere they like, however they like and for as long as they liked, they never had that, so they didn't lose it.  :)

19 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

Donations (not assets) were mostly refunded from the various platforms, and funds that weren't were held in escrow pending civil lawsuits against them.  

Their bank accounts are not 'donatons'.  They are assets.  And they were denied access to those assets.  Now there's two class action lawsuits being filed for damages as a result.

Did you not know the gov't seized people's bank accounts? And why? To punish them for supporting their political opponents.

46 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

As for their right to protest anywhere they like, however they like and for as long as they liked, they never had that, so they didn't lose it.  

Sure they do.  Unless a judge says otherwise.  Did the gov't or the city ever get an injunction against them?

No? hmmmmm.

You lefties are always stunningly fast to throw away other people's rights and yet demand we respect rights you care about.  If you're claiming people don't have the right to their bank accounts or don't have the right to protest, then you're probably living in the worng country

21 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Their bank accounts are not 'donatons'.  They are assets.  And they were denied access to those assets. 

I didn't say their bank accounts weren't assets.  I said the donations were refunded, rather than seized, and what little wasn't was held in escrow (again, not seized).  

Now there's two class action lawsuits being filed for damages as a result.

and there's both a criminal trial and civil lawsuit against the protest organizers/members at the same time.  So what? 

Did you not know the gov't seized people's bank accounts? And why? To punish them for supporting their political opponents.

I know they froze them.  That's different than seizing.  Part of the reasoning was large amounts were coming from the States.  Surely you can understand the problematic nature of foreign countries sponsoring and promoting protests at home?

Sure they do.  Unless a judge says otherwise.

Wrong.  Judges have already established, through substantial Canadian case law, that the right to peaceful assembly does not include the right to physically impede or blockade lawful activities. 

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

I didn't say their bank accounts weren't assets

yeah you did. I said assets - you tried to switch it to 'donations."

Yet another fun filled exercise in explaining english to you while you backtrack like mad because you said something stupid and are forced to try to pretend english doesn't mean what it did.  Yawn.

I'm sure that justin appreciates you YET AGAIN leaping to his defense. I know - once every several months you play the game where you bad mouth him once and then go on to defend his and the liberals actions ad nausium.

Justin and the libs unlawfully activated the emergency act, squashed people's lawful right to protest without due process. seized bank accounts worth millions to discourage people who lawfully supported the protest.  Those are simple facts. 

Only the senate saying they'd vote against him forced him to back down. And now the courts have ruled that he was not acting lawfully and he is being sued along with the liberals for stealing people's liberty inappropriately and harming them.

There's no putting a good face on that.  No matter how much you love them or how much they pay you - that behavior was WRONG.  Period.