Putin Interview with Carlson -Feb 2024

I've watched the first hour.  I'm not sure what Tucker was going for with his performance, but it was not his finest hour.  It's hard to say what went on behind the scenes.  Perhaps he was given limiting parameters in which to conduct the interview.

I've noticed that the really good liars, or instead maybe the highly intelligent folks, the ones with a formidable intellect lets say.  They can lie seamlessly.  They can make you believe just about anything if you are not careful.  I'm sure we can all pick our favorite politician to hate and agree that some people have turned deceiving the public into a fine art.  Putin may well be such a one.

From what I've seen of the interview thus far, I simply can't spot it when Putin is lying.  It kind of reminds me of Obama.  Such a smooth talker, making you feel good about yourself as he pulls the wool over your eyes.  I am not armed with a knowledge of Russian history, but I doubt that Putin would be so stupid to tell whoppers that can so easily be proved wrong, so his discourse on his country’s history is probably at least close, eh?

Edited by sharkman
Spelling

19 minutes ago, sharkman said:

I've watched the first hour.  I'm not sure what Tucker was going for with his performance, but it was not his finest hour.  It's hard to say what went on behind the scenes.  Perhaps he was given limiting parameters in which to conduct the interview.

I've noticed that the really good liars, or instead maybe the highly intelligent folks, the ones with a formidable intellect lets say.  They can lie seamlessly.  They can make you believe just about anything if you are not careful.  I'm sure we can all pick our favorite politician to hate and agree that some people have turned deceiving the public into a fine art.  Putin may well be such a one.

From what I've seen of the interview thus far, I simply can't spot it when Putin is lying.  It kind of reminds me of Obama.  Such a smooth talker, making you feel good about yourself as he pulls the wool over your eyes.  I am not armed with a knowledge of Russian history, but I doubt that Putin would be so stupid to tell whoppers that can so easily be proved wrong, so his discourse on his countries history is probably at least close, eh?

Joseph Goebbels

Even if Putin believes his own lies, they are still lies.

Edited by Aristides

55 minutes ago, sharkman said:

From what I've seen of the interview thus far, I simply can't spot it when Putin is lying.  It kind of reminds me of Obama.  Such a smooth talker, making you feel good about yourself as he pulls the wool over your eyes.  I am not armed with a knowledge of Russian history, but I doubt that Putin would be so stupid to tell whoppers that can so easily be proved wrong, so his discourse on his country’s history is probably at least close, eh?

He did plenty of exactly that.  For example, despite the fact that Stalin and Hitler had signed a pact to both invade and then divide Poland between them, Putin absurdly argued that Poland collaborated with Hitler.  It makes absolutely no sense, but most folks watching Tucker Carlson wouldn’t know any better and as you say, good liars bullshit eloquently and seamlessly.  

What was really cringe about it was how Tucker Carlson just sat there nodding his head the whole time like a sycophantic bobblehead. 

• Like 1

Putin explained Russian 2000 Year old historical facts in 30 minutes.
I just wonder how long Biden can talk about 200 yo US history?

😀

On 2/10/2024 at 11:04 AM, August1991 said:

We in Canada get along.

For many centuries, we Canadians have a system that works 

How many centuries?

• Like 1

On 2/10/2024 at 9:59 AM, Moonbox said:

He did plenty of exactly that.  For example, despite the fact that Stalin and Hitler had signed a pact to both invade and then divide Poland between them, Putin absurdly argued that Poland collaborated with Hitler.  It makes absolutely no sense, but most folks watching Tucker Carlson wouldn’t know any better and as you say, good liars bullshit eloquently and seamlessly.  

What was really cringe about it was how Tucker Carlson just sat there nodding his head the whole time like a sycophantic bobblehead. 

Okay, riddle me this.  In 1934 Hitler signed a treaty with Poland called the, “German Polish Declaration of Non Aggression Pact”.  Didn’t Germany sign the agreement with Stalin later?  So Putin would technically not be wrong about that, or, what am I missing?

Yes it’s clear that Hitler was not dealing honestly with Poland, too bad that Chamberlain was so easily duped.  

On 2/10/2024 at 12:59 PM, Moonbox said:

... Stalin and Hitler had signed a pact to both invade and then divide Poland between them, Putin absurdly argued that Poland collaborated with Hitler.  It makes absolutely no sense.

In the 1990s, Yeltsin put on display in Moscow these maps.

Carlson should have called Putin

On 2/10/2024 at 11:57 AM, sharkman said:

From what I've seen of the interview thus far, I simply can't spot it when Putin is lying. 

He's a well trained ex KGB agent. Lying, reading people and manipulation are likely some of his best assets.

It literally looked like fish being fed to a large shark.

Tucker was well out of his element, precisely why Putin chose him. Low enough of an IQ that you could use him as an easy springboard to push out your propaganda. 

8 hours ago, sharkman said:

Okay, riddle me this.  In 1934 Hitler signed a treaty with Poland called the, “German Polish Declaration of Non Aggression Pact”.  Didn’t Germany sign the agreement with Stalin later?  So Putin would technically not be wrong about that, or, what am I missing?

Germany signed a non-aggression pact with Poland, which is nothing more than an agreement to not attack each other. 

The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, on the other hand, was a secret pact between Nazi Germany and the USSR to jointly attack Poland and divide it between them.  

It was the Soviet Union that cooperated and colluded with Hitler, but that history doesn't line up with Putin's exercises in make-believe.  

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Moonbox said:

Germany signed a non-aggression pact with Poland, which is nothing more than an agreement to not attack each other. 

The Molotov-Ribbentrop Pact, on the other hand, was a secret pact between Nazi Germany and the USSR to jointly attack Poland and divide it between them.  

It was the Soviet Union that cooperated and colluded with Hitler, but that history doesn't line up with Putin's exercises in make-believe.  

The timeline on this seems to bear out Putin’s version.  Stalin signed the pact with Hitler in 1939.  Poland signed their pact in 1934.  There was a normalization of relations between Poland and Germany after that, and different forms of cooperation.  

How much of the Putin interview did you take in?  Hopefully you are not simply getting this from your Twitter feed.

30 minutes ago, sharkman said:

The timeline on this seems to bear out Putin’s version.  Stalin signed the pact with Hitler in 1939.  Poland signed their pact in 1934.  There was a normalization of relations between Poland and Germany after that, and different forms of cooperation.  

The timeline is irrelevant.

Surely you can understand the difference between two countries agreeing not to attack each other (Poland's 1934 agreement with Germany), vs two countries agreeing to attack and divide up another country together (Germany and USSR literally allying with each other to attack Poland). 

On 2/12/2024 at 9:35 AM, sharkman said:

How much of the Putin interview did you take in?  Hopefully you are not simply getting this from your Twitter feed.

The Soviets invaded Poland 16 days after Germany invaded. The pact between Hitler and Stalin was signed in August 23, eight days before Hitler invaded Poland. The timeline indicates Stalin cut a deal with Hitler not to support Poland as long as Hitler was willing to divide Poland between them.

• Like 1

On 2/12/2024 at 12:05 AM, Moonbox said:

In Canada, the war started in 1939.

For Americans and Russians, it started in 1941.

30 minutes ago, Moonbox said:

The USSR invaded Poland in 1939.  

For Russians, the Great Patriotic War started in June 1941. For Americans, December 1941. In the UK, it was 1939. 

Frankly, i have no desire to look at these years/dates as significant. To me, the 30 years between 1914 and 1945 were a catastrophe.

Versailles, 1919? Irrelevant - part of the folly of these years.

IMHO, a civilised world collapsed in 1914. Why? How?

Edited by August1991