Pierre Poilievre releases four-point plan to tackle auto theft

https://toronto.ctvnews.ca/pierre-poilievre-releases-four-point-plan-to-tackle-auto-theft-1.6756155

The plan includes:

1. Increasing mandatory prison time for repeat car thieves from six months to three years. (for the 3rd offense)
  2. Removing eligibility for house arrest if convicted of a motor vehicle theft by way of indictment.
  3. If the auto theft is committed on behalf of organized crime, that will be considered an “aggravating factor.”
  4. So-called “catch-and-release” policies within Bill C-75 will be repealed to “ensure repeat offenders get jail and not bail.”

Poilievre’s pledge comes ahead of the Liberals’ national summit on auto theft opens The Feb. 8 meeting will look at ways to stop the shipment of stolen cars to the Middle East and Africa by way of gangs and organized crime, the government said in January.

well polievre just ate justin's lunch on that one.  There's nothing the liberals are likely going to be able to propose or announce that's going to match that and still be woke enough for their policy.

And so many people are victims of car theft right now that everyone's going to feel like the bad guys deserve it

42 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

I'm glad the Liberals are having a national summit to sit around and talk about another important issue to make it seem like they're trying to fix it while not having to actually bother doing anything about it.

Also #DefundThePolice

Precisely - while pp is going to propose something people would like to see. But - there's a hook in it, if justin tries to steal it he'll run into issues and on top of that it'll honk off his base.

7 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Precisely - while pp is going to propose something people would like to see. But - there's a hook in it, if justin tries to steal it he'll run into issues and on top of that it'll honk off his base.

While the mafia was part of Mike Pearson's base, I doubt car thieves are going to vote for the grits.

• Haha 2

I think car theft is definitely a very big deal. Besides multiple neighbors having their cars stolen off their driveways over the past couple of months, watching my auto insurance rates rising year after year isn't fun.

I guess setting mandatory sentencing limits can't hurt. But the problem probably won't come under control until the business model is disrupted, which might involve technology as much as policy.

3 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

While the mafia was part of Mike Pearson's base, I doubt car thieves are going to vote for the grits.

Oh i think criminals vote overwhelmingly liberal. Trudeau's done so much for them.

But also a lot of liberal supporters for some reason support 'soft on crime' approaches, especially the farther left.

2 hours ago, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I think all this is political posturing, they want people to think they are doing something to solve society's ills.

Car theft simply isn't a very pressing issue. There are plenty more issues that are way more important.

It's actually been growing by huge leaps and bounds. It's gone up 300 percent since 2015

https://www.caranddriver.com/news/a46492705/car-theft-and-carjacking-grow-canada/

But it also has a political advantage in that no minority group has kind of claimed it.  If you go after drugs, you get accused of unfairly disproportionaly targeting the blacks,  if you go after violence against women you tend to butt up against claims that first nations men are only violent to their women because of colonialism, etc etc.  But it's prretty safe to go after car thieves and it sends a clear message that you'll be getting tougher on all crimes.

One thing they should do is eliminate this parole business after serving only half of a sentence. 

Someone sentenced to 14 years like the RCMP guy who spied will probably get out in seven years less time served.

This is deceptive.  It fools the public into thinking sentences are harsh but actually when they get out in half the time, the sentences are far lighter than most people think.  This is not a deterrent for criminals.

6 minutes ago, herbie said:

Typical Tory knee jerk idea.

4 ways to punish car thieves more is not a plan to reduce car thefts. Just a simple gut reaction to appease the simple minded.

It's not just a plan, it's an effective one.

PP will get in, impliment that and car thefts will go down.  And you'll still be denying it.

3 minutes ago, herbie said:

Effective in bringing more of the simple minded to his cause, not to reducing car theft more than one red c*nt hair.

Car thefts will nose dive. You will claim the only reason they went up in the first place was harper.

On 2/6/2024 at 9:43 AM, GroundskeeperWillie said:

Car theft simply isn't a very pressing issue.

What that is causing the sharp rise in drug overdoses, homelessness and thefts, is.

You think people steal because it's fun?

6 hours ago, herbie said:

4 ways to punish car thieves more is not a plan to reduce car thefts.

Easing the financial pressure to put food on one's tables, reduces the need to turn to other means to get it there. I've seen a massive uptick of crime downtown in my city.

Lack of opportunity, space to live are often interconnected with crime.

I definitely don't think he'll *fix* the issue, but he'll address it's root causes if he can drive down the cost of food, clothes and shelter.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

but he'll address it's root causes if he can drive down the cost of food, clothes and shelter.

And how does govt do that when it doesn't produce or distribute any of those things?

We don't have and nobody wants a communist system that does those things, so how can they? All they can do is piddle about with taxes and regulations that have little or no effect on prices of any of those things,

15 minutes ago, herbie said:

And how does govt do that when it doesn't produce or distribute any of those things?

By removing the gov't imposed barriers to those who DO distribute those things.  The free market works pretty good if gov't generally stays out of its' way,

2 hours ago, herbie said:

We don't have and nobody wants a communist system that does those things, so how can they? All they can do is piddle about with taxes and regulations that have little or no effect on prices of any of those things,

Well the liberals to be honest all parties are sure spending a lot of time dabbling in all those areas...why is that ? 

Thats all Canadians do is bark for more social programs... 

57 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

time dabbling in all those areas...why is that

because that is ALL they can do... dabble.

Or do you want the govt to do: control the means of production and distribution?
THAT is the dictionary definition of communism, not take away your guns and the right to 'free speech' and repression of minority rights. Yet so many posters here are screaming for more govt control over the economy, unable to understand that is what they claim to hate.

5 hours ago, herbie said:

I have traveled the world. Canada doesn't even make the top ten, with regards to its economic competitiveness. Innovation.

IE Want a cellphone? You likely have 3 options regarding providers. Monopolies. Its why your bill is typically so high. 

I have my travel phone and always get a local plan. I have yet to go to a country which came remotely close to the typical rates you will see here.

Why innovate, when things are this cushy?

We have way too much bureaucratic red tape, hampering our economy. 

Same red tape which makes it so incredibly expensive to develop land. Its insane, considering the fact that Canada has so much land that could be built on, and far less people per capita, than their southern neighbor.

By the time shovels hit ground, the average project will have been sitting in bureaucratic limbo for years. What do you think happens to the cost to build? Labor? Materials? 

Lumber alone, has seen its costs skyrocket. 

Removing (or reducing) bureaucratic red tape, incentivizes more building. Reduces the overall cost to build. Drives up the supply. What do you think happens to pricing?

We have so many immigrants leaving Canada. Why? 

They struggle to find jobs relating to their skills and education.

Again. Bureaucratic red tape.

I know people who had to go to the US to get experience, just so they could work in Canada! Overqualified, for their positions, to boot.

What do you think stops many from opening businesses?

There is a record population, yet a dwindling supply of entrepreneurs. 

What do you think this does to job growth, regarding good jobs? 

It also stagnates the entrepreneurial spirit, which often can through business solutions, resolve some issues. IE seeing a market to open consignment stores. 

How do farmers harvest much of their crops? Heat their properties? Transport them to groceries? 

You're telling me adding over 5 bucks to your 40 liters of fuel (soon to increase) won't affect what you charge a grocery store?

Average Peterbilt truck holds over 100 gallons of fuel. Do the math. 

What do you think happens to your groceries? Add the fuel to fly it in. Diesel trains. Cargo ships.

You're not putting a price on pollution. You're literally putting a price on what many can no longer afford.

Carbon taxes are just added bureaucracy.

• Thanks 1

Except you forgot things like Blaxkberry and many others in your rant. I'm not talking about size or rank, I am pointing out that things would be far worse if govt controlled production and distribution.

Like housing -  do you actually want govt built Soviet stlye blockhouses on your street? Foolish enough to believe that if taxes and building red tape are removed the builders will sell for below fair market value? That if they were forced to by law, it wouldn't affect your home's market value?