Clueless Canadian politics and the climate change

On 1/31/2024 at 9:06 AM, admined said:

The delicious thing is that the government itself (back in 2021) claimed to have already spent "more than $100B" in "clean growth"

And what did all that spending get us? I just happened to be researching that today. Here's the most recent data from the government's Greenhouse Gas Reporting Program:

image.thumb.png.af6603617b102ae5da3fafdd3abf2317.png

...In other words, $100B (and whatever else they've spent since 2021) bought us MORE emissions!

And the lows in 2020-2021 are only due to to Covid

• Like 1

3 hours ago, cougar said:

Your take is wrong on many levels.

If it is our choice to bring a million low carbon emitting migrants every year to turn them into high carbon emitters, then we have to do it at no additional harm to the planet.

No way?  Then don't bring them here!

Perhaps you can point out where i even mentioned Migrants...my post was about nuclear energy...pass the mushrooms...

My biggest issue with climate change is the claim that it's man-made.  I am not a scientist, but I honestly haven't seen any conclusive evidence that proves that our climate is changing due to our activities.  

Anthropogenic climate change is just a hypothesis.  This hypothesis is inherently flawed because it's unfalsifiable.  There is currently no experiment that we can carry out to either prove or disprove this hypothesis.  This is why I feel it would be very irresponsible of governments to start passing laws prohibiting this or that based on this mere hypothesis.

• Haha 1

On 2/4/2024 at 5:06 PM, GroundskeeperWillie said:

I am not a scientist, but I honestly haven't seen any conclusive evidence that proves that our climate is changing due to our activities.  

Don't worry; I have and so have all other scientists.

On 2/4/2024 at 2:12 PM, Army Guy said:

Perhaps you can point out where i even mentioned Migrants...my post was about nuclear energy...pass the mushrooms...

Your point is unclear.

First we need to determine if we need more energy or less.  If we want to have more, we have to know what is the driving force behind the increase.  Then if the increase is sustainable.

I for sure do not need a nuclear plant just so we can have our population go up to 300 million, or so we can frack to get more LNG to ship to Asia, even if you agreed to put it in your back yard!

Edited by cougar

13 hours ago, cougar said:

Your point is unclear.

First we need to determine if we need more energy or less.  If we want to have more, we have to know what is the driving force behind the increase.  Then if the increase is sustainable.

I for sure do not need a nuclear plant just so we can have our population go up to 300 million, or so we can frack to get more LNG to ship to Asia, even if you agreed to put it in your back yard!

It has already been determined by experts in the energy field that we can barely handle current levels of draw on the grid, add to this a weather event it puts our grid in crises mode, example Alberta's grid during the cold snap.

Add to this our current population growth of 1 million a year, and yes our demands are going to grow not shrink by a lot...

Not to mention the addition of EV vehicles, that will put additional demand on our grid...A grid that is already struggling to provide basic services...solar and wind have limitations in the power they can deliver, and in some case they provide little to no power. 

Nuclear energy has grown leaps and bounds new SMR energy, is much safer, and can be scaled down for a small town or added to for larger cities, providing cheap energy to those that are reliant on fossil fuel for energy, places like Alert NWT where fuel is flown in twice to 3 times a year, from Ontario...or other communities in the NWT where fuel is chipped in when it can be in the summer...or in your town, if they use some sort of fossil fuels...we still have coal burning power plants, or ones that use funnance  oils...Any ways i thought the entire objective of this climate crises was to reduce our carbon emissions, but when certain options present themselves climate pros turn their nose up at it...

Which means it not much of a crises is it...or perhaps they changed the meaning of crises ?

• Like 1

On 2/2/2024 at 3:29 PM, herbie said:

As you have the choice to vote for the party lacking any such policy

Woke talking points aren't good policy. 

How many targets have been hit?

The tax can only work if it is used properly.

It clearly hasn't.

Trudeau states he wishes to put a price on pollution yet pollutes incessantly while finger wagging at his constituents.

Its literally a hooker looking down on girls getting AIDS, when her vaginas surface looks like a Nestlé crunch chocolate bar.

Of course  for the herpes joke visual:

image.png.b689d2c795535d2fc4a83ce0f7a1c6d0.png

Yes. Someone would still eat that shit o_O

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

The tax can only work if it is used properly.

It clearly hasn't.

So point out how it hasn't. Others have pointed out the tons spent on greener projects.
You gonna believe the money will be spent on green initiatives when that tax isn't even collected? When they've sworn to govt spending cuts?

Private enterprise will go green out of the goodness of their hearts, eh?

1 hour ago, herbie said:

So point out how it hasn't. Others have pointed out the tons spent on greener projects.
You gonna believe the money will be spent on green initiatives when that tax isn't even collected? When they've sworn to govt spending cuts?

What affect has Canada's carbon tax had on the climate?

On 2/2/2024 at 2:02 PM, Army Guy said:

Are we in a climate crises or not ?...Can't be much of a crises if we have the option of picking and choosing what source of energy we are going to use...

Well said.

=====

Faced with the invasion of Russia, Stalin was afraid to travel by plane.

Churchill flew to Newfoundland, Tehran, Yalta, Potsdam. 

3 hours ago, blackbird said:

What affect has Canada's carbon tax had on the climate?

Every time you wince from paying it - you think about the climate. Or at least if you could progress beyond the fact you had to shell out something, it's supposed to.
Just like the GST right in your face not hidden where someone else just passes it on with their take added.

9 hours ago, herbie said:

No they won't. But they can be incentivized to. 

Businesses will speak to encouragements to doing better more than lecturing.

Also in investing in pragmatic and cleaner alternatives.

On 2/2/2024 at 2:02 PM, Army Guy said:

....if we have the option of picking and choosing what source of energy we are going to use...every source of energy we have right now has some drawbacks...

IMHO, we should reduce our CO2 emissions. (To be honest, I don`t know if CO2 is critical - the models are really bad.)

But we're rich enough to buy an insurance policy - and the cheapest/best policy is a carbon tax.

======

More generally, I think that local habitats need protection. We are creating greater harm to our planet locally. 

And I think that we need a better understanding of planet environments. Rather than seeking ways to send humans to the Moon or Mars (humans cannot and will never live on either), we should understand the environment of Venus, Mars and the moons of the outer planets.

====

IMHO, we face a greater risk of a catastrophic asteroid arriving from the sunside than a tipping point due to CO2 in the atmosphere. 

If I were a politician, I would tax CO2 and use the revenues to help people - and hire engineers to check for incoming asteroids.

Edited by August1991

13 hours ago, herbie said:

Every time you wince from paying it - you think about the climate. Or at least if you could progress beyond the fact you had to shell out something, it's supposed to.
Just like the GST right in your face not hidden where someone else just passes it on with their take added.

No, I don't think about the climate because nobody can change it.  It is just a money grab.

Darkside of the moon would be a great place to establish garbage dumps.  Solar powered cargo rockets full of trash.

Old tires and mountains of collected plastic in your backyard?  . . . off to the launch pad with you!  Rocket away your trash.  Outta' sight, outta' mind. 

Fleets of garbage rockets lifting off every sunny day . . . what could be better than that?

Edited by Nefarious Banana

14 hours ago, herbie said:

In other words it has NO effect on climate, which was his question....kind of like me thinking about liberals  heads exploding in my mind, it is a beautiful sight, in reality it just does not matter what i think, no heads are going to explode...

53 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Darkside of the moon would be a great place to establish garbage dumps.  Solar powered cargo rockets full of trash.

Old tires and mountains of collected plastic in your backyard?  . . . off to the launch pad with you!  Rocket away your trash.  Outta' sight, outta' mind. 

Fleets of garbage rockets lifting off every sunny day . . . what could be better than that?

Well, we could improve on that by sending all liberals and NDP, lets not forget those nasty green party people...lets load them up on rockets...we are going to need a lot of rockets, but if we stand them up,we can get more in... 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, blackbird said:

No, I don't think about the climate because nobody can change it.  It is just a money grab.

Humans already did and you claim they can't.

1 hour ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Darkside of the moon would be a great place to establish garbage dumps

Good one. Wouldn't thousands of rocket launched a day turn the planet into a greenhouse in a week. Then you could still deny, deny, deny as you dry out like a beef jerky.

On 2/6/2024 at 12:46 AM, cougar said:

Don't worry; I have and so have all other scientists.

Cougar cougar cougar...

All other scientists do not agree. In fact, even the most adamant can only muster a definite maybe.

Now...I get your desire to "clean it up" as it were...but when this "crisis" isn't really a "crisis", then maybe a more...reasonable approach would produce more beneficial results?

I respect your position. But your insistence on imposing your will at the real cost to everybody...

Is silly and frankly...destructive. 

• Like 1

On 2/6/2024 at 11:36 AM, Army Guy said:

Add to this our current population growth of 1 million a year, and yes our demands are going to grow not shrink by a lot...

OK, so now we came to this 1 mil/year population growth as a factor, or rather a driving force behind the need for nuclear power.

Now let me ask you this.

What exactly do you personally gain from the 1 mil of Asians added to the Canadian population every year?

I gain nothing!  My quality of life goes down by the minute!

Send them back and put the nuclear plants in their countries!  But when they were back there they did not need all this power!   You see how dumb we are now?????

Edited by cougar