Independent Quebec would have its own currency and army: PQ (are we still doing this? I thought we finished with quebec seperation a while ago)

CdnFox

Independent Quebec would have its own currency and army: PQ

The Parti Québécois plans to release its proposed 'first year' budget for an independent Quebec on Monday

With the party planning to release its proposed Year One budget for an independent Quebec on Monday, Paul St-Pierre Plamondon started sketching out to reporters the PQ’s vision for a new country, saying more elements will become clearer in time.

The issue came up at a news conference where he was discussing the current international political situation. St-Pierre Plamondon answered yes when asked if an independent Quebec would have its own foreign policy, which prompted a question about an army, to which he also said yes.

He said an independent Quebec will want to be a player in NATO, like other smaller countries such as Norway and the Netherlands. In the past, the PQ has favoured a non-aggression peacekeeping-style army with about 8,000 soldiers; St-Pierre Plamondon said the details will be discussed by PQ members at a policy convention.

He had a clear answer on the question of a Quebec dollar, too. Former PQ leaders Jacques Parizeau and Pauline Marois were in favour of retaining the Canadian dollar in the event of independence in order to help stabilize the finances of the new country, but St-Pierre Plamondon, arguing the context has changed, wants to drop that plan.

He said Canada’s economic and monetary policy does not help Quebec’s economy flourish the way it otherwise might, so the new country he envisions would float its own dollar and have its own monetary policy.

Welp  - looks like they're going to take another swing at convincing quebec to commit financial suicide :) 

This is fun, haven't ha this debate in a while :) 

What we have in Quebec is essentially slow motion separatism, as the Quebec government takes over more and more powers and ethnically cleanses anglos and other undesirables from their population. There is little affection for the notion of 'Canada' among Quebec's Francophones. They want their own ethnostate where those not of the pure blood are denounced and expelled.

There are those who think putting an end to religion would put an end to this sort of ultra-national chauvinism and hatred of the 'other' but Quebe demonstrates how silly that is. 

12 minutes ago, Zeitgeist said:

Does this mean that more tax and spend communist woke-green voters will no longer be part of Canada’s electorate?  If so, I’m in support.  

They will demand huge concessions or else will likely refuse to take on any portion at all of the national debt. In fact, they might refuse anyway, saying it's not their problem. We've seen their accounting games before that seem to have convinced the majority of Quebecers they actually pay more into Canada than they get back.

3 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

They will demand huge concessions or else will likely refuse to take on any portion at all of the national debt. In fact, they might refuse anyway, saying it's not their problem. We've seen their accounting games before that seem to have convinced the majority of Quebecers they actually pay more into Canada than they get back.

I don’t really care anymore.  Canada and Quebec are going in the wrong direction as far as I’m concerned.  I would prefer to see Ontario become a red state than continue to live under this creepy quasi-totalitarian woke federal government.  Quebec is probably more Marxist and totalitarian, so they can take a hike for all I care.  

6 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

I don’t really care anymore.  Canada and Quebec are going in the wrong direction as far as I’m concerned.  I would prefer to see Ontario become a red state than continue to live under this creepy quasi-totalitarian woke federal government.  Quebec is probably more Marxist and totalitarian, so they can take a hike for all I care.  

Confederation no longer serves its purpose in any case

Canada being founded in 1867 as a British North American trade federation & military alliance against America

not only is that a completely failed state

Canada is now literally the opposite of what it was founded for

a fully Americanized anti-British state, without federation, but rather centrally planned from Ottawa

wherein the provinces don't trade with each other,  only with the Americans

totally reliant on the Americans for their security & prosperity

no wonder this basket case is being overrun by the Chinese Communists & Hamas

as the Americans freeze Canada out, now viewing it as an unreliable competitor rather than ally or partner

4 hours ago, Dougie93 said:

Confederation no longer serves its purpose in any case

Canada being founded in 1867 as a British North American trade federation & military alliance against America

not only is that a completely failed state

Canada is now literally the opposite of what it was founded for

a fully Americanized anti-British state, without federation, but rather centrally planned from Ottawa

wherein the provinces don't trade with each other,  only with the Americans

totally reliant on the Americans for their security & prosperity

no wonder this basket case is being overrun by the Chinese Communists & Hamas

as the Americans freeze Canada out, now viewing it as an unreliable competitor rather than ally or partner

Ottawa seems mostly to have contempt for Canadians. The federal government is largely a subsidized university poly-sci project where MP’s get to pretend that they have influence internationally and conduct social experiments on Canadians.  Reduce the size of the federal government by 80% and revert authority to the provinces, which should really be called nations, since the federal government has sold out Canada, labeling it colonial and genocidal.  The country is run by equity pseudoscientists and climate zealots who want to make the cost of energy and other living expenses so high that humans are taxed and regulated out of existence.  

Edited by Zeitgeist

22 hours ago, I am Groot said:

What we have in Quebec is essentially slow motion separatism, as the Quebec government takes over more and more powers and ethnically cleanses anglos and other undesirables from their population.

I rarely ever read something so far from the truth. This has to be some sort of satire, Quebec has the most amount of refugees in Canada and one of the biggest urban center this country has. 

There is absolutely no ethnic cleansing in Quebec, and Quebec is taking a lot of undocumented immigrants because Canada doesn't want to control its border with the United States.

23 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Does this mean that more tax and spend communist woke-green voters will no longer be part of Canada’s electorate?  If so, I’m in support.  

We're talking about Quebec, not Ontario or British Columbia.

12 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

I rarely ever read something so far from the truth. This has to be some sort of satire, Quebec has the most amount of refugees in Canada and one of the biggest urban center this country has. 

Citation? You don't have one. In fact, Quebec told the feds they didn't want refugees and the feds obligingly shipped them to Ontario. And, in fact, even the ones who first get to Quebec soon drift west because they don't want to live in a backward province where their language is treated like their religion. Furthermore, the reason we have so many refugees is because of Quebecers, specifically Justin Trudeau and his open embrace of the world's rabble.

There is absolutely no ethnic cleansing in Quebec, and Quebec is taking a lot of undocumented immigrants because Canada doesn't want to control its border with the United States.

You mean Quebecer Justin Trudeau doesn't want to control our borders. And to repeat, those refugees leave for Ontario soon enough.

And your premier hates anglos and makes little secret of it. All these anti-English bills aren't designed to protect French but to push the English out.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Citation? You don't have one. In fact, Quebec told the feds they didn't want refugees and the feds obligingly shipped them to Ontario.

Do you know anything about this subject? 

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/refugees/asylum-claims/asylum-claims-2022.html

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/immigration-fuels-quebecs-biggest-population-boom-in-50-years

7 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

And, in fact, even the ones who first get to Quebec soon drift west because they don't want to live in a backward province where their language is treated like their religion

A backward province with two universities in the top 100 in the World, an unemployment rate around 4.5%, a cost of living much lower than almost all provinces, a free market economy with less regulations than Ontario sounds very good to me.

By the way, we protect our culture. There is absolutely no shame in that, we are proud, and we will remain proud.

You proclaimed the right of Israel to exist based on the Jewish religion and their needs to have their homeland. Why couldn't the French Canadians have this right? 

You seem quite hypocritical, or worse, hateful about French Canadians. Did we bully you in High School? If so, probably not enough.

12 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

You mean Quebecer Justin Trudeau doesn't want to control our borders. And to repeat, those refugees leave for Ontario soon enough.

Justin Trudeau is acting on Federal jurisdiction.

If you can't comprehend how your country works, we don't need to read your opinion of how a province works. Opinions are like a*sh*les, everyone has one, not everyone has to share theirs.

150,000 immigrants?  Ontario got 185,000. The  year before it was 200,000

Welcome to the reality of a Liberal government with a Quebec leader.

A backward province with two universities in the top 100 in the World

McGill is certainly one - which your province is trying to destroy. What's the other? Concordia?

an unemployment rate around 4.5%, a cost of living much lower than almost all provinces, a free market economy with less regulations than Ontario sounds very good to me.

A lower cost of living because of all the money you suck out of the rest of the country to pay the bills, you mean?

By the way, we protect our culture. There is absolutely no shame in that, we are proud, and we will remain proud.

I envy you. I wish we could. Unfortunately, we have a Quebec PM who says we have no culture and are not a nation.

You proclaimed the right of Israel to exist based on the Jewish religion and their needs to have their homeland. Why couldn't the French Canadians have this right? 

I proclaimed no such right. But if the Jews needed a nation it was to stop people from killing them because they were Jews. The French already have a nation. It's called France. 

You are not oppressed, son.

Besides, if the rest of us can't be a nation why should you be?

You seem quite hypocritical, or worse, hateful about French Canadians. Did we bully you in High School? If so, probably not enough.

Used to live in Quebec. South shore of Montreal. I know all about the hypocrisy of Quebec and it's Francophone nationalists.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

150,000 immigrants?  Ontario got 185,000. The  year before it was 200,000

Welcome to the reality of a Liberal government with a Quebec leader.

Can you make an effort of actually reading rather than bashing Quebecers?

Non-permanent residents

After a record 86,700 arrived in 2022, Quebec is home to about 346,000 non-permanent residents.

As of Jan. 1, 57 per cent of Canada’s asylum seekers lived in Quebec, along with 16 per cent of its temporary workers and 12 per cent of its foreign students.

https://montrealgazette.com/news/local-news/immigration-fuels-quebecs-biggest-population-boom-in-50-years

That part made me laugh so hard;

But if the Jews needed a nation it was to stop people from killing them because they were Jews. The French already have a nation. It's called France. 

You are not oppressed, son.

Besides, if the rest of us can't be a nation why should you be?

Your point is so preposterous. So Mexico shouldn't exist independently as Spain exists? 

French Canadians are totally different from French from France. I know because I am from both origins, plus a jewish side on top of that. And I can tell you as a pro Israeli that you're totally out of touch because of your loathing of the French Canadians. You say that Israel should have a right to exist as a nation State, but not the French Canadians... What a bunch of hypocrisy.

Besides, you have your country, Canada. If you feel like it would disappear because Quebec doesn't want to partake in your colonial enterprise, it does not really matter for Quebecers. You won't convince them by spitting on them, saying they are doing 'ethnic cleansing' as you said, without any proof, any fact.

27 minutes ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

French Canadians are totally different from French from France. I know because I am from both origins, plus a Jewish side on top of that. And I can tell you as a pro Israeli that you're totally out of touch because of your loathing of the French Canadians. You say that Israel should have a right to exist as a nation State, but not the French Canadians... What a bunch of hypocrisy.

Besides, you have your country, Canada. If you feel like it would disappear because Quebec doesn't want to partake in your colonial enterprise, it does not really matter for Quebecers. You won't convince them by spitting on them, saying they are doing 'ethnic cleansing' as you said, without any proof, any fact.

Has Quebec ever contributed anything to the rest of Canada?   All transfer payments/government grants/equalization payments/cushy Canadian Govt. contracts/etc. should stop going to Quebec.  Quebec is a parasite, a disgusting tapeworm that the country needs to sh!t out. Western Canada does not need Quebec in any form, and that goes for Ontario also.

8 minutes ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Has Quebec ever contributed anything to the rest of Canada?   All transfer payments/government grants/equalization payments/cushy Canadian Govt. contracts/etc. should stop going to Quebec.  Quebec is a parasite, a disgusting tapeworm that the country needs to sh!t out. Western Canada does not need Quebec in any form, and that goes for Ontario also.

Since 1945, approximately a hundred new countries gained independence. Not a single one expressed the wish to return back to the state it were before.

2 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

Can you make an effort of actually reading rather than bashing Quebecers?

That part made me laugh so hard;

Your point is so preposterous. So Mexico shouldn't exist independently as Spain exists? 

French Canadians are totally different from French from France. I know because I am from both origins, plus a jewish side on top of that. And I can tell you as a pro Israeli that you're totally out of touch because of your loathing of the French Canadians. You say that Israel should have a right to exist as a nation State, but not the French Canadians... What a bunch of hypocrisy.

I think you misunderstand me. I'm on your side! I want Quebec to separate too! I think Canada, without Quebec, would be much saner, much less given to wasteful spending, much more Capitalist and conservative, and we could probably finally get control of our borders. I don't 'loath' Quebecers. I just see them as whiny, spoiled people who think the world owes them a living and view themselves as endlessly oppressed. Quebec has little to differentiate itself from anyone else other than its language and a few foods. It's not 'distinct'. It's not a nation. And it's the home of much of the corruption in Canada. It's also the home of bad government, and virtually every dumb decision Canada has taken over the past fifty years has originated with Quebec politicians. It may be too late, but if we got rid of Quebec perhaps Canada could regain its sanity.

41 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

I don't 'loath' Quebecers. I just see them as whiny, spoiled people who think the world owes them a living and view themselves as endlessly oppressed

Look, you can't just write ' I don't loath Quebecers ' in one sentence and the next one calling them whiny, spoiled and who claim to be falsely oppressed.

This is a counter argument to your own sentence. Kind of like an oxymoron, but in your case we'll only keep the last two syllables only of that word.

41 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

Quebec has little to differentiate itself from anyone else other than its language and a few foods. It's not 'distinct'. It's not a nation.

That just isn't true.

House passes motion recognizing Quebecois as nation

Prime Minister Stephen Harper had introduced the surprise motion on Nov. 22, raising the ante on a Bloc Quebecois motion that sought to declare Quebecers a nation without reference to Canada.

The motion states: "That this House recognize that the Quebecois form a nation within a united Canada."

The prime minister has said he is using the word nation in a "cultural-sociological" rather than in a legal sense.

"I think tonight was an historic night," Harper said after the vote. "Canadians across the country said 'yes' to Quebec, 'yes' to Quebecers, and Quebecers said 'yes' to Canada.

"In politics, you take risks — that's what we did — but national unity, national reconciliation are more important than any one party or than any one individual."

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/house-passes-motion-recognizing-quebecois-as-nation-1.574359

---

Now let's get back to your ethnic cleansing talk. What was it about? Because we have language laws, we're genociding the Anglophones? Is that seriously your take?

Edited by QuebecOverCanada

2 hours ago, Nefarious Banana said:

Learn to be independent instead of a freeloader . . . 

The History of the great province of Alberta; The sole reason Alberta exists is because of the railroad Lower and Higher Canada paid back in the 1800s.

The sole reason Alberta is viable economically speaking is because of the infrastructure paid federally, including all the pipelines you make us pay dearly.

But after reaching jackpot at the expense of all other provinces, the Albertan province decides it will not pay back its debts, and call other provinces freeloaders. Really ironic, but it is also a sign of poor judgement and planning long term.

Alberta is economically uni-dimensional, has poor public services and subject to a poor future economic outlook. Oil is going to be replaced by raw materials we find in mines on the other side of the country, Ontario and Quebec.

The Saudi Arabia of North America is soon to feel the pain of the energy transition. Not right now, but we got a snippet of what Alberta will look like in future decades when the oil sector almost shut down in 2015.

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, QuebecOverCanada said:

The History of the great province of Alberta; The sole reason Alberta exists is because of the railroad Lower and Higher Canada paid back in the 1800s.

LOL -  Alberta existed long before the railroad. So you lose there right off the bat.  Second - canadian policy DELIBERATELY HINDERED alberta -  alberta and the rest of the western provinces had to pay a vastly higher rate to ship good EAST than the east did to ship goods west and a number of policies kept population growth and emmgration to those areas artificially low. This continued till shortly after ww1.

Did you never wonder why the west has such a lower population than the east, despite being inhabited and developed not long after the eastern areas were?  And now that those policeis are gone the west is catching up but it's slow,

So you're horribly misinformed - the west exists DESPITE the east - not thanks to it. And the rest of your drivel is equally wrong.

The fact is alberta can't go it alone.  It doesn't have the economic or population conditions necessary.  But - neither does quebec.

Please please please seperate.  we will own you in a generation and you'll be our biatches - and we won't have to listen to your whining  in the house of commons anymore.  With you gone the west holds almost as much power as ontario and we'll see how things go for you when you've got no say :)    Buh buy - don't let the door hit your ass on the way out :)  

2 minutes ago, RedDog said:

PAYbec will never be “independent” without money extorted from Alberta. The data doesn’t lie.

Really - ok so show your data then :)   I mean  - you must have seen it to know it doesn't lie so by all means lets see your proof of your statement with the data.  I know you wouldn't lie to us . 

(10 bucks says he can't prove his statement with any data :)

We have been through all of this before, in the last referendum, the Federal government shit there pants all night long until the results were announced, but before all the votes were done Quebec and the federal government were making some ridiculous demands,

like Using the Canadian dollar as their currency of choice, not that it be worth a whole lot after separation , it would take a good pounding on the inter national market, not only that it would take the blessing of the federal government and we know this is not going to be an easy transition...through out the entire global history there has only been a few countries split with out a conflict brewing up...

next Quebec's borders are not going to look like they do now, Canada will want a corridor to the Atlantic provinces, this was discussed at length the last time... changes to the southern border, and maybe even some of the northern borders...

Not to mention the indigenous population are a federal responsibility, Quebec would have to appease them as well, either take over treaties, or payments etc...

The division of military assets... last time the vote happened , 5 CMBG was sent to New York on exercise, along with all CF-18 from Bagotville , These aircraft where siezed by US air force personal for the duration of the vote...So the future country of Quebec would not have access to military equipment, nor it's soldiers, at the time Quebec demanded a full 1/3 or all Canada's military resources...Army, Air Force, and navy... and the feds had said no ... and today, it be not worth the effort as our equipment is ready for the museum not the battle field..

The last vote,  2 CMBG were put on 24 hours notice to move, into Quebec to conduct what i can only assume as military operations of some sort... Now correct me if I'm wrong that was Mr. Chretien a native born Quebecor... will Justin have his balls... never, but he has to do something...The feds were not going to let Quebec split the country, back then...I'm hoping it is nothing more than a pipe dream today...What i do know is the dream of Quebec having it's own paradise is not going to look like the one you imigine...reality is going to kick the shit out of it...Once Quebec goes more will follow...that much we all know so much for August's we are one nation and united theory. 

• Like 2