What Canadians don't want. A higher population through immigration

It seems the Laurentian Elites and their stooges in the media are wrong again about what Canadians want.

When asked about tripling Canada’s population in its largest cites, six-in-ten (60%) describe their initial thoughts on this idea as ‘bad’, but impressions are split as to how bad; 32% think it’s a bad idea, while slightly fewer (28%) think it’s a very bad idea. Around one-in-ten (13%) think this is a good idea, although just 2% feel it’s a very good idea. •

More than three-quarters believe an increase in population would worsen the preservation of farmland (78%), access to nature (76%), and housing affordability (76%), while around two-thirds feel it would worsen a healthy environment (73%), quality of life (66%), and efforts to address climate change (66%). • 61% also indicated that they would be upset with more crowded cities and towns in their community.

5 Key Highlights Half (49%) of Canadians believe that immigration should be less than the current level, while 20% are happy with the current level, and a similar number (18%), believe it could be higher than it currently is.

Only 15% believe that Canada should allow cheap labour into the country to support companies which pay low wages. • 19% believe that immigration should be used to change the ethnic and cultural makeup of Canada

https://sustainablesociety.com/what-do-canadians-want-opinion-research-report/

Edited by I am Groot
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, CdnFox said:

Well all we can say then is that canadians don't want this much of a higher population through immigration.

And that's no surprise. I think most want to see immigration and the population increase - but no where near the way it is now.

Then the question becomes: Why the hell are we doing it?

Stats Canada debunked the story about us having a labour shortage. Our shortage is largely in unskilled labour, and that is not that big a deal. It should be handled through Capitalism's normal system of redistributing workers according to increasing pay rates. 

Demographics statisticians have said there is no way immigration is going to do very much at all to offset a decreased birth rate. And there seems to be evidence now that this much immigration, and the results of it (stagnating wages/high costs of housing) are causing our birth rate to further decline.

It's also not going to do much of anything about an aging population, particularly given the average age of immigrants is around middle age and that they increased the number of elderly immigrants who can be sponsored sixfold.

Leaving me with the belief it's to allow the Liberals to gain votes in certain ethnic/immigrants groups that tend to vote Liberal, for virtue signalling, and to please the corporate honchos who is Trideau's future employers, the ones who will offer him board seats with comfortable payouts and little or no work.

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Then the question becomes: Why the hell are we doing it?

Well - the answer is fairly simple.  One of trueau's good friends is into it and trudeau loves to virtue signal, and in the short term massive immigration helps generate gov't revenues that he desperately needs.

Sadly it also fuels inflation and leads to a future where insane amounts of money has to be borrowed to provide medical and other infrastructure for the immigrants.  It's not their fault of course but that's what will happen.

So - that's why we're doing it. Because justin has actually trashed the economy to the point where if he doesn't then the average person will see he trashed the economy.

And people are realizing now the negative side effects and they don't want it anymore.  But remember - till like yesterday if you dared to say 'is this too much' you were a racist. :) 

17 hours ago, I am Groot said:

Stats Canada debunked the story about us having a labour shortage. Our shortage is largely in unskilled labour, and that is not that big a deal. It should be handled through Capitalism's normal system of redistributing workers according to increasing pay rates. 

Prop up the real estate market, as much as possible. A major part of the portfolio of the wealthy elite in Canada, especially in big cities, is real estate. If you invested in real estate in 2015, you would be much richer than if you invested in stocks or assets that are productive. To make sure the rent goes up and the price of houses/condo goes in the same direction, you need to have a lot of desesperate people who will sacrifice their livelihood/privacy to agree to pay such astronomical prices as 3K/month for a 1 bedroom apartment. 

Immigrants tend to accept that much more than the locals. And it shows in for example Mississauga where you have sometimes 3 mattresses on the ground for a one bed room apartment, for 3 different couples.

The real estate prices going up is benefitting the economic elite in two ways; their portofolios go up, while the workers have to work longer and longer, thus becomes more desesperate himself for work.

This is on purpose, to create an economic subclass like in Brazil, where you'll have very rich people here vs those who own nothing, and they will be happy, or else...

Edited by QuebecOverCanada

21 hours ago, I am Groot said:

It seems the Laurentian Elites and their stooges in the media are wrong again about what Canadians want.

When asked about tripling Canada’s population in its largest cites, six-in-ten (60%) describe their initial thoughts on this idea as ‘bad’, but impressions are split as to how bad; 32% think it’s a bad idea, while slightly fewer (28%) think it’s a very bad idea. Around one-in-ten (13%) think this is a good idea, although just 2% feel it’s a very good idea. •

More than three-quarters believe an increase in population would worsen the preservation of farmland (78%), access to nature (76%), and housing affordability (76%), while around two-thirds feel it would worsen a healthy environment (73%), quality of life (66%), and efforts to address climate change (66%). • 61% also indicated that they would be upset with more crowded cities and towns in their community.

5 Key Highlights Half (49%) of Canadians believe that immigration should be less than the current level, while 20% are happy with the current level, and a similar number (18%), believe it could be higher than it currently is.

Only 15% believe that Canada should allow cheap labour into the country to support companies which pay low wages. • 19% believe that immigration should be used to change the ethnic and cultural makeup of Canada

https://sustainablesociety.com/what-do-canadians-want-opinion-research-report/

That 19% that want to change the ethnic and cultural makeup of Canada are who? I cannot believe that the British/European people of Canada want to see their culture disappear. it must be those non-whites that want to change Canada's culture and eventually place the white folk of Canada into a 3rd world hell hole. 

I never understood why countries like Canada went the immigration route over incentivizing people to have more children. In the end immigrants don't get us ahead once all their aging extended family come over. 

Though it's not easy, for example South Korea has spent a ton and it barely affected birth rates. Programs need to be well considered... I think we often do what's politically popular and not cutting right to the reason why fewer people are having children

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Nexii said:

I never understood why countries like Canada went the immigration route over incentivizing people to have more children. In the end immigrants don't get us ahead once all their aging extended family come over. 

Though it's not easy, for example South Korea has spent a ton and it barely affected birth rates. Programs need to be well considered... I think we often do what's politically popular and not cutting right to the reason why fewer people are having children

There are a number of reasons, and for the most part they span multiple countries.  A few i'm going to give the very short version - feel free to ask me to expand on one point or another if you wish,

1- the laws changed in the late 60s to allow women's income to be considered when calculating mortgages for various reasons. Very quickly after that you needed two incomes to buy a house, so women stopped being housewives and started working more to the point now where nobody wants to stop working long enough to have even 1 kid, never mind 3.

2 - the women's rights movements started really turning on women who talked about having children and not working in the 2000's, and there was a movement  that said women who want to stay home and raise kids are bad women - real women want to earn their own way,

3 - the nature of the 'set relationship' ( ie this is what men do and this is what women do when married )  ended - and rightly so some would argue, but nothing took it's place and now you see divorce increasing and often after the first kid. There is a reason for that

4 - Because of point 2 - gov'ts that have tried to promote having children have been viciously attacked by the left and there's no political point to it anymore. Consider harper's tax splitting - that's custom designed to promote children and the left trashed him for it and shut it down two seconds after he lost.

5 - the regulations for opening a daycare are insane and there simply aren't enough

Add to that more recently the high cost of living and you've got a perfect recipe for a below-replacement birth rate.  And that's why gov'ts don't want to tackle it - AND those who HAVE (and some have) have largely failed.

15 hours ago, CdnFox said:

There are a number of reasons, and for the most part they span multiple countries.  A few i'm going to give the very short version - feel free to ask me to expand on one point or another if you wish,

Add to that more recently the high cost of living and you've got a perfect recipe for a below-replacement birth rate.  And that's why gov'ts don't want to tackle it - AND those who HAVE (and some have) have largely failed.

You left off a very important problem for couples considering children. For women, especially.

Security.

It used to be the case that when you had a decent job you were set for life. You could count on it being there forever. Once I had my first reliable, permanent job I was able to go out and buy a brand-new car, my first. Not long after that I was able to buy a house, my first. There aren't that many of those jobs around now. The gig economy does not inspire confidence. Working for companies that have a tendency to drop you every few years don't either. Without a secure income, one with sufficient disposable income you can pay the rent and other bills and still won't be in a hand to mouth existence even with kids,  couples are highly reluctant to have children.

Hookups. Couples used to marry by eighteen. That got pushed back to mid-twenties. Now many don't marry at all. When they do, it's often in their thirties. Only about 35% of Canadians are legally married. Without the security of knowing they're going to be together couples, especially women, are reluctant to have kids. And since they often don't feel that security until well into their thirties, nor have job and income security until then, they have very few years in which to have whatever kids they're going to have.

17 minutes ago, Canadian_Cavalier said:

It affects our housing market and Healthcare negatively and brings people who cheer for Hamas into here. It's a total disaster. The only people who still don't think so live in sheltered 90% white cities like Victoria.

Ok - but the anti-Islam thing went away for a quick minute when they helped organize anti Trans marches FYI.

And I'm sure you weren't complaining about immigration 5 years ago before these effects really hit right ?  And you do blame provincial governments for their failures in capacity planning for the services they provide right /

Anyway... here's to huanced positions...

As a disabled retiree, on nice summer day I relax on a coffee patio with a similar friend on the fringe of downtown to solve world problems.

It’s impossible not to notice able bodied Somali men in their 20s, 30s and 40s on the patio drinking coffee and yelling in jibberish all afternoon.

The Somalis have overrun the nearby Ho Chi Mihn Trail (107 ave) which is now all Somali. (Where did the Vietnamese go?) It’s all Somali now.

My point is, why are grown men sipping coffee all afternoon in the sun? Why aren’t they working?

More importantly, how did they get into Canada in the first place to sip coffee in the sun all day?

Edited by RedDog

4 hours ago, RedDog said:

1. My point is, why are grown men sipping coffee all afternoon in the sun? Why aren’t they working?

2. More importantly, how did they get into Canada in the first place to sip coffee in the sun all day?

1. Maybe they have businesses running somewhere ?  Maybe they're on welfare... Why do you care ?

2. They were probably refugees.

I would ask why someone who can clearly think and type is on disability when there's plenty you can do in your field online.  I WOULD ... but I don't think that way...

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Maybe they have businesses running somewhere ?  Maybe they're on welfare... Why do you care ?

2. They were probably refugees.

I would ask why someone who can clearly think and type is on disability when there's plenty you can do in your field online.  I WOULD ... but I don't think that way...

Actually, I feed the inner city homeless, usually but not alway via the Lion’s. I’ve been doing this over a decade. I do the same at the Bissell Centre, Hope Mission and Mustard Seed.

The Somali crowd are not seen at either. I submit they contribute nothing to Canada.

14 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't know... ask them maybe...

They don’t/won’t speak English and have no intention of doing so.

Who in their right mind in this swan diving country actually thinks we “need” more refugees sipping $4 and $5 coffee in the middle of the day?