Would you Comply to Another Covid-19 Lockdown

Perspektiv

We are seeing new variants which may bring far more risk to the population than previous ones.

While many of us are vaccinated, there is worry among some circles that the severity of the new variants may cause issues in the upcoming fall.

Should governments enforce additional lockdowns, after most economies choosing to reopen, would you comply?

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

We are seeing new variants which may bring far more risk to the population than previous ones.

While many of us are vaccinated, there is worry among some circles that the severity of the new variants may cause issues in the upcoming fall.

Should governments enforce additional lockdowns, after most economies choosing to reopen, would you comply?

If hospitals are getting over-capacity again and nurses are quitting etc then you don't have much choice unfortunately.  It all depends on the severity.

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, herbie said:

It's highly unlikely we'll see another lockdown over Covid.

Would you comply with lockdowns, masking and vax's if the next pandemic is an airborne Leprosy/AIDs variant? Catch the person next to you in Chuch's nose when it slid off their face and hand it back to them like a true believer?

Personally, anything beyond masking up and social distancing would be a no go for me.

Lockdowns, crippled my wife's finances and cost her to lose part of a business.

No way out, no help. 

We were better off than many, but the toll on my mental health isn't something I would accept to revisit.

I took long power walks, and did groceries multiple times a day during lockdowns. 

Sorry, but my mental health isn't something I would want to destroy again.

I would certainly be against it. But since the System is now fully incorporated, there's not much one person can do. I'd have to put up with the inconvenience and the knowledge these measures are useless. But more concerning is the effect it has on children, since I've had a normal life and what I would call normal development, I am resilient and able to put things in context. What about kids going to school all masked up, and the fear message pounding into them every day, as it was before. It's them I feel sorry for. Not you buncha old biddies on this web site.

On 9/5/2023 at 8:09 PM, OftenWrong said:

What about kids going to school all masked up, and the fear message pounding into them every day

Fear, pounded into kids, every day? Get a grip.   You folks sure attach a fearful amount of weight to the word fear.

I imagine by now there are researchers researching the effects of parent's fears and anger about vaccines and government mandates and conspiracies on their kids. We've already seen research and reports on how vaccine misinformation and subsequent hesitancy caused hundreds of thousands of cases along with thousands of hospitalizations and deaths in the general population along with scholarly studies showing where ideology factored into higher rates of cases, hospitalizations and death from COVID.

What about kids who were cooped up with parents that lost their grip during COVID?

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

If, heaven forbid, they brought back mask mandates for public indoor places. I'd comply simply to not be "that guy". No one likes that guy. 

I don't think that'll ever happen because the absurdity of mask mandates without some sort of capacity limit or social distancing is pretty evident to most people. 

It wasn't the masks that brought down COVID infections during waves, it was the fact that governments closed everything! 

I don't think they'll ever go back to making children wear masks, that seemed rather cruel. 

I most certainly will never comply with government's telling people how many people can be in a person's home again. That did more damage than good. . . in hindsight of course. 

On 9/5/2023 at 5:20 PM, herbie said:

It's highly unlikely we'll see another lockdown over Covid.

Would you comply with lockdowns, masking and vax's if the next pandemic is an airborne Leprosy/AIDs variant? Catch the person next to you in Chuch's nose when it slid off their face and hand it back to them like a true believer?

If the death rate was like 30% like in the movie Contagion, or made you bleed from your face like in the movie Outbreak, you wouldn't need to pass laws to make people stay at home. 

That's the thing about COVID. As a Novel virus, it made a lot of people very sick and "culled" a lot of people that were already old, sick or disabled. But very few young healthy people died from COVID. 

So making people comply with public safety measures became, and to some extent still is, a morality play about protecting the vulnerable. 

It would be insightful to have an objective analysis done to determine how close were hospitals from collapsing really? 

Edited by Boges

4 hours ago, Boges said:

I most certainly will never comply with government's telling people how many people can be in a person's home again. That did more damage than good. . . in hindsight of course

I think allowing someone to die, without family by their side is about as inhumane as you could get.

I know people who were forced to watch family die via video.

I don't think the damage this would cause a person, is reversible.

20 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

If the goal is to limit spread to not overwhelm hospitals, wouldn’t limiting gatherings help?

I would agree in public spaces,  but to tell me I can't visit my sister because her family exceeds the limit set, to me is ridiculous.

These very policies spiked mental health crises, internationally.

Politicians denying the crisis, weren't standing in long lineups at alcohol stores.

In my city alone, you would see lineups that stretched for up to a block at large alcohol retailers. 

People were pacifying themselves in self destructive fashion.

Yet, many politicians would point to stable suicide rates.

Thats literally like pointing to the lack of deadly crashes, because of inadequate driver tests in a country putting ill equipped people behind the wheel.

You know, ignoring the high accident rates. 

If deadly crashes or suicides are the standard, for policies that don't work, then the standards are quite low.

On 9/7/2023 at 3:34 PM, Boges said:

It would be insightful to have an objective analysis done to determine how close were hospitals from collapsing really? 

I think they really were "collapsing", in terms of bed capacity. Hospital capacity went from 90% occupancy to 100% in Covid. Now it's back down to 90%.

Certainly other hospital services were not collapsing during covid, since they were shut down. That just seems like transferring harm from one group to another. It should not be repeated.

And did we not in this province, over the past 30 years or so, reduce the number of beds available in hospitals? They certainly did that in the major hospitals here in eastern ON.

So where are the hospital beds, Mr. Ambassador. Where's your plan B. Any kind of plan at all would be good.

But since nobody's interested in Covid, it's dropped from the public's radar while they are being mesmerized by the Ukraine and, bad weather.

4 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

I would agree in public spaces,  but to tell me I can't visit my sister because her family exceeds the limit set, to me is ridiculous.

You don’t like them, but if you want to limit the spread and not overwhelm hospitals with sick people, doesn’t limiting gathering size indoors make sense?  

I saw the same people I always saw, but a lot more outdoor activities being ”COVID safe”.   Why didn’t others do the same?

58 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

I saw the same people I always saw, but a lot more outdoor activities being ”COVID safe”.   Why didn’t others do the same?

We can't all be a saint like you.

Maybe we have to go to a funeral, and it's January and we don't have no propane heated backyard patio, like you people.

14 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

You don’t like them, but if you want to limit the spread and not overwhelm hospitals with sick people, doesn’t limiting gathering size indoors make sense?  

Sure, in public spaces. 

I draw the line at my private moments with family.

My sister is a nurse. My wife is a nurse. I have surgeons, and many medical experts in my family.

We were extreme with our precautions taken. I have never gotten covid. 

I don't accept I should be punished for people who want to throw caution to the wind. 

Make the regulations apply to public places, only.

Thats a hill I would be willing to die on.

The toll on my mental health, paled in comparison to the perceived sense of safety these measures were providing me with.

Most people I know, would gladly take death over more lockdowns.

Am one of them.

Again. I would be prepared to die, vs the ravages this did on my mental health. My wife's mental health.

We are both strong people, so this made us stronger, together.

She knows people who committed suicide, as do I along with fully losing their minds and becoming homeless, etc.

Sorry, but my level of sympathy was dropped down to nil.

Our government would have to jail me, or kill me, in order for me to comply to what I feel go beyond reasonable precautions.

Heck, I would force the cop to kill me. 

If our government is smart, they would understand that they pushed their population to its maximum.

Pushing further, could result in devastating resistance from the population.

Definitely will from me. Many of us are reasonable, regarding keeping others safe, but when the policies blur playing politics with safety,  this is where I draw a very bold line in the sand.

4 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

But, if you want to limit spread, limiting gatherings works, correct?  

Whether it does or doesn't, is irrelevant to me.

Family and that connection, is needed by many, for their mental health.

My mental health matters more to me, plus like I said, I take extreme precautions.

4 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Viruses don’t really care if it’s a public or private gathering. 

I don't think politicians could or should lock down an entire society.

Focus on the vulnerable, which is what covid was affecting.

Question for you.

How many people do you know who committed suicide due to covid?

Lost everything they worked for?

Divorced?

Became homeless?

Became drug addicts?

Alcoholics?

Safety shouldn't take the precedent over mental health. There should be a balance.

You otherwise are jeopardizing the safety of your population.

8 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

Viruses don’t really care if it’s a public or private gathering. 

Perhaps?  LOL

We know the Lockdowns worked. But they came at an extraordinary cost. 

- Stunting Children's Education
- Dividing families based on feelings of the rules
- Up-ending our Economy by essentially killing the Hospitality sector and propping up different sectors. That's the main reason we have an inflation problem right now. 

Was it worth it, when we find out that vast majority of those that died were prone to dying from a variety of other things anyway.  

On 9/5/2023 at 4:43 AM, Perspektiv said:

NO!

1 hour ago, Boges said:

Was it worth it, when we find out that vast majority of those that died were prone to dying from a variety of other things anyway.

You would have preferred to completely overwhelm hospitals and have people with emergencies other than COVID to die waiting for treatment at the ER?

5 hours ago, Perspektiv said:

Whether it does or doesn't, is irrelevant to me.

Then you have no place in the conversation.  If I don’t care about the society, why should I get a say in how it’s run?

2 hours ago, TreeBeard said:

You would have preferred to completely overwhelm hospitals and have people with emergencies other than COVID to die waiting for treatment at the ER?

That was the fear peddled at the time. And I was down too with that talking point. It made logical sense. 

But, in hindsight, it was a level of social overreach that I'm not comfortable with. 

If one determines that modest social methods like masks and capacity limits can drastically reduce the cost to the healthcare system, what's to stop governments from just making that the status quo? 

A year ago, we saw pediatric hospitals overwhelmed. Not by COVID, but RSV and the common cold making a comeback because children has spent the previous 2 years being locked in their homes. The #bringbackmasks movement was strong. Governments held off, thank God. 

I suspect we'll see more of it this fall when respiratory infectsion, no doubt, climb as the weather cools. I hope it only comes from the fringe. 

Edited by Boges