Canada's high level of immigration.

Rental prices are skyrocketing in every city in Canada. It increased by 20% past two years to average $3000 per month in Vancouver and to over $2000 in Canada. This in unaffordable by many Canadians and the main culprit for this ridiculous rise is the high number of immigration. Trudeau government has increased immigration levels to over 500,000 a year. Almost all of new arrivals need rental housing. Demand is rising very rapidly as a result of what I see as high level of immigration while supply cannot keep up. This is totally unacceptable. 

High levels of immigration is not limited to rental crisis but also health crisis. We do not have enough hospitals and doctors and nurses to meet the rapidly rising demand. Most immigrants are from third world countries from India, Afghanistan and Middle East.  Lots of refugees needing social assistance and health care and housing. Canada is being overwhelmed by people of different cultures and Canada does not have the infrastructure for this level of immigration. Canada is in danger of losing its identity in the long term as a free and democratic country as some of those from specific regions are not compatible with Canadian culture which is tolerance and respect for women's rights and human rights and the rights of gay and lesbians and equality for women and respect for religions. 

Many are afraid to speak publicly as they fear to be labeled as racist. But housing crisis and health crisis and cultural crisis are real and many Canadians are living with these realities in every day life. Before you label me anything you need to know I am a long time immigrant myself but this does not mean I don't care as some may assume. I  have been here for decades, worked my way up and love Canada likely more than most Canadian born and care about all Canadians and hate to see anyone in distress. I am not opposing immigration. In fact I believe immigration can be of great benefit to Canada and Canadians but at the right level and with the RIGHT immigrants.

• Thanks 1

I believe that citizens most affected adversely by immigration, e.g. some lower income people in Toronto, esp. renters, should have a disproportionately large say in how many more we take in. Instead they seem to play little or no role in the debate at all. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland

26 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

I believe that citizens most affected adversely by immigration, e.g. some lower income people in Toronto, esp. renters, should have a disproportionately large say in how many more we take in. Instead they seem to play little or no role in the debate at all. 

Well, everyone is affected one way or another.  In the spirit of democracy  I believe everyone equally should decide on a matter of national interest which affects every citizen though I agree with you, some will be affected more. 

I CHALLENGE THE GOVERNMENT TO HAVE A REFERENDUM ON IMMIGRATION.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

1 hour ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Rental prices are skyrocketing in every city in Canada. It increased by 20% past two years to average $3000 per month in Vancouver and to over $2000 in Canada. This in unaffordable by many Canadians and the main culprit for this ridiculous rise is the high number of immigration.

''''

Gimme a break.

The reason for high rents is because land prices are high. And why are land prices high?

I was recently in Portland Oregon. City regulations of land use are totally f*-up.

In Montreal, our land regulations are better but not perfect.

High levels of immigration is not limited to rental crisis but also health crisis. We do not have enough hospitals and doctors and nurses to meet the rapidly rising demand. Most immigrants are from third world countries from India, Afghanistan and Middle East.  Lots of refugees needing social assistance and health care and housing.

Disagree very strongly.

Imagine the cost to Canada of a child born here. (Birth, primary education etc... )

Now, what is the cost to us of a person at age 18 who steps off the plane?

=======

Our problem in the world is not climate change or even more kids; our problem is civilised adults.

In Canada, we're good at that.

44 minutes ago, August1991 said:

Gimme a break.

The reason for high rents is because land prices are high. And why are land prices high?

I was recently in Portland Oregon. City regulations of land use are totally f*-up.

In Montreal, our land regulations are better but not perfect.

So you are claiming that the reason rental prices are skyrocketing is not because some 500.000 new arrivals land every year and competing with the very limited supply but rather the City regulations!!!!!. You give me a break. City councilors all over Canada in every City must be really stupid not to take actions

So you are claiming that the reason rental prices are skyrocketing is not because some 500.000 new arrivals land every year and competing with the very limited supply but rather the City regulations...

Exactly.

It's called NIMBY.

====

Or rather, make me rich.

Welcome to America.

Edited by August1991

34 minutes ago, herbie said:

So require them to reside 200km north of where you have no room for 5 years before they get landed or citizenship status and send as many as you can.

And pray tell us racist pig, what are the "right places"?

No.

Allow condos with five storeys in places close to where rich people live.

====

Westmount is an exception.  

Edited by August1991

4 hours ago, RedDog said:

The overwhelming majority of these political “immigrants” coming from the wrong places of course.

Save Alberta.

We in the West have a fundamental problem: how do we bring these various people into this modern world.

We in Canada are good at this task. We get along.

6 hours ago, carepov said:

Overall, the country is much better off with immigrants.

Correct. Skilled immigrants however, are desperately needed.

Trudeaus 500 000 immigrants promise, is virtue signaling. 

But also, many of which will plug holes in minimum wage jobs fewer canadians are wanting to do.

A smarter approach would be looking at market needs, and facilitating the immigrating of the high skilled immigrants who met those requirements, all while continuing the standard immigration programs along with refugee programs for displaced families.

Canadians love immigrants, as a general consensus.

What I can't stand just like in the US, is when a leader refuses to take a tough stance on immigration, preferring to deliberately turn a blind eye to major issues, to play politics and virtue signal, and leave a mess for future administrations to resolve.

13 hours ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

So you are claiming that the reason rental prices are skyrocketing is not because some 500.000 new arrivals land every year and competing with the very limited supply but rather the City regulations!!!!!. You give me a break. City councilors all over Canada in every City must be really stupid not to take actions

IT's the same argument.

It's 6 of one and a half dozen of the other.  Its not really 'immigration' per se thats the problem - the problem is that our population is rising faster than we're building homes and hospitals and schools.  Now, its fair to say that right now immigration is the sole source of our population growth,   BUT - the population growth would NOT be a problem if we were building enough infrastructure in the way of homes etc.

And the reason for THAT is often municipal codes.  It can take 3 years and add 100 thousand to the price of a small home  (and much more for a complex) just to navigate the red tape and break ground.

We have been building AT LEAST 100,000 homes LESS than the bare minimum to keep the situation from getting worse since 2016 and arguably earlier than that.  And that situation is getting worse right now with interest rate uncertainty.

WE can have as many immigrants as we are willing to build homes and infrastructure for - so they need to either reduce the one to match current output or increase the other to match immigration needs. 

Last point  - the way that our entire system is structured right now - no matter how much they cut back immigtation, housing builds will scale back to be too few.  So just cutting immigration isn't going to help.

15 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Interesting that no one responded on cultural consequences

I am not so sure there will be that much in the likes of cultural changes. Canada is already an incredibly multicultural society. 

I mean, I can only see these consequences in terms of votes and how this affects policy.

But many countries I can think of off top where many are immigrating here, are incredibly conservative in nature. 

My wife immigrated here, from a God fearing and highly conservative country. Other than that, most will want to blend in and adapt to their newfound home.

17 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

health care

If Trudeau was competent, he would look at the hundreds of thousands of highly skilled medically trained immigrants who are either trying to come here, or bogged down by red tape and delays.

Facilitating the ability for medically trained staff such as nurses and doctors, should be a priority.

You should prioritize, based on need.

33 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I remember a while ago around Christmas time while Merry Christmas signs were displayed all over the shopping center there were a few hijab wearing ladies who carried the sign of Happy Ramadan!!!!. They want to celebrate Ramadan in public then they should go back and celebrate it there. Also wishing Merry Christmas nowadays is becoming a taboo . This is ridiculous. It is not acceptable that people come here and trying to change culture and traditions. It is like the guests in your house trying to change or rearrange your furniture.

There should be a law!  How dare someone try and wish you well.

16 hours ago, RedDog said:

The overwhelming majority of these political “immigrants” coming from the wrong places of course.

Save Alberta.

Yeah, imagine allowing non-white, non-Christians into this country, how awful is that? ?

15 hours ago, August1991 said:

Disagree very strongly.

Imagine the cost to Canada of a child born here. (Birth, primary education etc... )

Now, what is the cost to us of a person at age 18 who steps off the plane?

=======

Our problem in the world is not climate change or even more kids; our problem is civilised adults.

In Canada, we're good at that.

Until we start emulating MAGAs :(

55 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

I remember a while ago around Christmas time while Merry Christmas signs were displayed all over the shopping center there were a few hijab wearing ladies who carried the sign of Happy Ramadan!!!!. They want to celebrate Ramadan in public then they should go back and celebrate it there. Also wishing Merry Christmas nowadays is becoming a taboo . This is ridiculous. It is not acceptable that people come here and trying to change culture and traditions. It is like the guests in your house trying to change or rearrange your furniture.

So Canada is strictly a Christian nation? THOSE people coming here is ruining our Christian nation? Really?

image.jpeg

I'd like to add another perspective on this issue. If the sole now, before, one of defining, sources of progress and prosperity (presumably) in a place, a country is immigration, that is, someone external to it, then what is its essence, what does it have to say and contribute to the world?

Look we have a lot of empty land and even some wildlife still? For two hundred years of searches and reflection?

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, SNOWFLAKE said:

So Canada is strictly a Christian nation? THOSE people coming here is ruining our Christian nation? Really?

image.jpeg

Yes I do not wish to see a country where women are forced to wear hijab, where bars and nightclubs are closed, alcohol is banned, other religions barred and dogs executed. Where riots break up like in France and racism rampant like in the US. Canada must be significantly more selective on who is welcoming to Canada. Keep my Canada as is.

Edited by CITIZEN_2015

1 minute ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Yes I do not wish to see a country where women are forced to wear hijab, where bars and nightclubs are closed, alcohol is banned, other religions barred and dogs executed. Where riots breaks up like in France and racism rampant like in the US. Canada must be significantly more selective on who is welcoming to Canada. Keep my Canada as is.

Yeah, neither do I.

I'm not sure being wished Happy Ramadan is the thin end of the wedge though. 

Did any of the women who were so forward with you kill your dog?  That would be different, of course.

Also wishing Merry Christmas nowadays is becoming a taboo .

I have Merry Christmas decorations all over my business. My wife and I celebrate Christmas.

If anyone want to make it political to where my lack of "x-mas" decor makes me racist. Am black. I can play the race card, too. 

I couldn't care less if my decor offends, as there is nothing offensive about celebrating your holiday. If you don't like it to the point it makes you uncomfortable, patron another business.

I will always respect a business that knows what it stands for.

I don't condone bullying of any form, including that one.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, CITIZEN_2015 said:

Keep my Canada as is.

Then give it back to the people you took it from. Sounds to me like you are a Cdn version of MAGA. A bigot. 

If so, I have a suggestion. Try what I have done. Try to not be a bigot. Clean yourself up. Stop blaming everyone else for your sorry excuse of a life. Eat healthy, cut down on the drinking, stop smoking. Make yourself appealing. And learn to love and accept people who are different than you. Believe it or not, your life will be richer for it.