The end of Canadian dream

11 minutes ago, myata said:

Or can just live, enjoy it and have fun. For everyone else, the conquest adventure.

most young men I meet desire what I have

a dream wife, a dream home, on a dream property

fully detached, two car garage, deck with a view, patio, gardens, big backyard amongst the trees

grilling steaks in the sunshine with family on the deck, loyal dogs at your feet

work a forty hour job, live for the weekends

living the American dream, in British North America

what else is there ?

It’s still a great country with genuine wilderness, unlike Western Europe. I’m constantly thankful I chose here rather than the US. When I was driving to the ferry in North Sydney with a few hours to spare, I took a detour to see some more of the province and a guy flagged me down to tell me I was going the wrong way. That kind of thing is what I would miss. 

Edited by SpankyMcFarland
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

great country with genuine wilderness

Just think of it, a huge, second only to Russia wilderness with a tiny population till very recently cut all the old forest, screwed up cod and well on the way to salmon, nearly exterminated beavers and it's somehow supposed to mean greatness? This is f-ing Russia mentality and one can get only Russia from it. Getting there, not too far now.

Just now, myata said:

Just think of it, a huge, second only to Russia wilderness with a tiny population till very recently cut all the old forest, screwed up cod and well on the way to salmon, nearly exterminated beavers and it's somehow supposed to mean greatness? This is f-ing Russia mentality and one can get only Russia from it. Getting there, not too far now.

Mistakes were made, I’ll admit, but we’re getting there. 

Just now, myata said:

Sounds like the Canada paradise. Someone will figure everything else out for ya...

perhaps I am the one who figured it out

tho I owe it all to HM Royal Canadian Infantry Corps

suffer the privations as just another face in the ranks of the thin red line

learn from that harsh realm what is most important in life

then enjoy those things upon retirement as a decorated veteran

remembering the fallen at the going down of the sun and in the morning

your brothers who will never see the sun again

live your best life, in honour of them

then with failing hands, throw the torch

Ducimus

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

on starkly different tracks at the moment

You'd like to think that, but why? What's there, in the reality not just on paper, to make and importantly: keep them very different? You can imagine two toy cars riding the same circuit. At any moment, there can be a distance between them, even a significant one but it doesn't mean that their tracks are different, does it? A car has to be choosing its track, deliberately and diligently to make sure that it doesn't deviate from the intended destination.

Edited by myata

34 minutes ago, myata said:

You'd like to think that, but why? What's there, in the reality not just on paper, to make and importantly: keep them very different? You can imagine two toy cars riding the same circuit. At any moment, there can be a distance between them, even a significant one but it doesn't mean that their tracks are different, does it? A car has to be choosing its track, deliberately and diligently to make sure that it doesn't deviate from the intended destination.

If you would be happier some place else, you should move there. Perhaps some place that speaks your language. ?

Trees and MOSK EEE TOES!!!! Remoinds me of that dog collar commercial...
buncha whiney malcontents. So much happier having to pay to go to a beach, never wear a coat or drink schnapps around a campfire in the snow. Pay for your doctor then, pretend governments that tell you who you can love who you must hate and do with your own body is freedumb and pretend that hundred acre forests with paved walking trails and turnstiles are wilderness. Nobody makes you live here.

Happy Canada Day from the BEST country in the world.

On 6/28/2023 at 11:22 PM, myata said:

I want to see arguments to the contrary. Let's see them.

Some will have no arguments.  Imagine people who came only with a shirt on their back , no education, no job, fear of harm in their war torn countries, no knowledge of the language.... To them the country is a Mecca.

And this is what our government has been doing to us - showing us those examples, telling us how much good we do in the world, how we should be happy with what we have because many more have way less.  

Doing it to us constantly, undermining our quality of life from one year to the next.

13 hours ago, cougar said:

Some will have no arguments.  Imagine people who came only with a shirt on their back , no education, no job, fear of harm in their war torn countries, no knowledge of the language.... To them the country is a Mecca.

Race to the bottom, you mean? Comparing to Sudan or Somali, not to Portugal or Netherlands?

21 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If you would be happier some place else, you should move there.

So you have no arguments to the point and this is the last and default one? Love it as it's given to you (no questions asked thank you) or move out? You sure understand that this is the standard argument of the loser? So much for your "best" marketing drive. Tap and clap to puppet dancing beaver with a mountie or get out. Good luck with this kind of sophistication in the complex and changing modern world. You'll need it!

The butter in the supermarket today $8.49. Before the trip, recall prices like 4.99. That's some healthy GDP growth, in less than a year! Way to go, the Great Government! The inflation, great! So we can ding them even more and get even higher management bonuses how the thinking goes. Because we can, like have this monopoly on distribution and they'll love it staunchly facing the next challenge" in the Northern land of yes people.

By the way, in Ukraine, the equivalent (retail) around $4.50. So can load a container there, sell for half the price and still turn a profit. Great stuff! Talk about international competitiveness.

The country is seriously f@cked up. Very few things make sense (please feel free to name). If can't see it and don't want to know go celebrate it.

Edited by myata

6 hours ago, myata said:

So you have no arguments to the point and this is the last and default one? Love it as it's given to you (no questions asked thank you) or move out? You sure understand that this is the standard argument of the loser? So much for your "best" marketing drive. Tap and clap to puppet dancing beaver with a mountie or get out. Good luck with this kind of sophistication in the complex and changing modern world. You'll need it!

You misunderstand what I meant. You seem to be unhappy living here. If there is some place that would make you feel better, you may want to consider re-locating. I am trying to understand why you feel so negative. I used to say I would leave Canada if they abolished the Monarchy, but that was when I was young and stupid. Now I'm not so young and I would miss the skiing. Besides, politics may be fun, but it is nothing to lose sleep over.

Besides, if you left, I would miss your posts. I never agree with you and that is what makes it interesting. If we all agreed with each other, we would never learn anything.

16 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

If there is some place that would make you feel better, you may want to consider re-locating

And I asked you for an advice on my relocation? Can't recall but at least one intelligible message that's something. Very insightful and utterly useful.

16 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I am trying to understand why you feel so negative

I could repeat it again, for something like ,000 time but what would it change. Nah.

15 hours ago, Contrarian said:

The Canadian dream is a big word

Isn't it telling that everyone peddling the big and smugly beaver dream always fails to elaborate on specific meaning. To me it looks quite a bit like psychological effect of propaganda. Those subjected to it always know what is right just couldn't explain it logically. Why do you need the sixth booster if some countries never had anything mandatory did just as well? Why Hitlerjugend had to liberate Poland and Putin's Ukraine? Doesn't concern you? All is good and perfect as it is, that is, was at the time of Adam?

Edited by myata

I still think there’s a strong case to maintain Canada as a whole nation state, but only if the provinces have the maximum autonomy and the federal government is minimized to providing essential federal services efficiently.

What must stop immediately is the exaggerated current narrative of Canada as colonial, racist, genocidal state. It’s a dark, unbalanced, unfair rewriting of history that emphasizes the worst aspects of our history without recognizing the incredible achievements and contributions to medical, aerospace, telecommunications, agricultural and mining tech, the liberation of Europe, peacekeeping, a tolerant, highly educated, relatively harmonious society, and so on.

Those achievements belong to all Canadians, but we no longer hear about them.  Identity groups are pitted against each other in divisive fear-mongering, shame, crisis capitalism, and new internationalist top-down unaccountable forms of state-corporate stakeholder capitalism. Canadians are at serious risk of abdicating freedom of thought and self-determination in exchange for an overbearing government that dictates how we should think and live.  This plight was illustrated during the directives and sometimes unconstitutional policies of the pandemic and the putting down of opposition through martial law.

Canada isn’t what she once was.  A buying of votes through overspending and a dependence on rapid, immigration that puts pressure on our services and inadequate infrastructure is destabilizing our society. We’re losing our living standards, quality of life, social cohesion, and freedom. Ask any young person trying to buy a home, pay for groceries, and express opinions.

I don’t think it’s too late to restore what we have lost, but it will mean scrapping identity politics, encouraging resource development, cutting taxes, and getting rid of special interest government programs. It also means telling more positive stories and being courageous in the face of those who try to control our speech and attack our traditional cultures and values.

A radical left, interventionist, internationally manipulated government has done major damage to our country.

Edited by Zeitgeist
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, RedDog said:

Canada is five or six countries pretending to be one.

The reality can be even less comforting. A colonial dominion run by colonial bureaucracy with passive and complacent population when the mother country was distracted and went to manage its own business. No ideas; no shared principles; no raison d'etre other than just being, sitting there. It runs somehow, more or less the same as two centuries back. While it can coast, for a while.

You may be right that some regional interests began to form in the meantime. Quebec can clearly be a nation. Alberta, quite likely. Ontario and BC, possibly. When the time runs out, it's quite possible we could see a fragmentation along these lines. Atlantic confederation of Canada?

Edited by myata

There were some distinct periods, phases or waves in erosion of Canadian pretense of democracy. The first one happened somewhere around the turn of the century. Before then, there was a convention, an expectation if not factually, of egalitarianism and modesty in the government. But why, if the entropy is calling and nothing to stand in its way? So representatives became employees" and the salary, automatically annually indexed. No, not in the same way as your benefits Joe, please go back to sleep. So that's out of the way.

The second one is happening about now. All and any notion of accountability of majority governments while in power are out the window, not even pretense. Public inquiry? A circus, a forgotten funny ceremony like change of the guard once in so often with no real meaning or any practical use.

And the next one, what? The final erosion of the judicial system, well on the way with political appointments and all kinds of obscure, unaccountable to anybody "tribunals"? And once we are past that post, an open season for authoritarianism. Nothing to limit or stop it, nowhere in the reality.

Edited by myata

With the population in some kind of permanent distress: stagnation of incomes and job market stability; housing crunch; inflation amplified by monopolistic hurray economy not to mention the pandemic, political system in the country is moving steadily to the oligarchic third world model. Checks, controls and balances, effectively, non existent. The populace will happily "vote" for the promise of the juiciest handout. Political class, completely disconnected from the reality of the country.

Edited by myata

On 7/1/2023 at 11:01 AM, myata said:

Where do you dig up all that BS???

10 million square kilometres and only 40 million people

"old forest"?  Cut it down???

Cod fisheries is just fine after it was reopened.

What is wrong with salmon? Most salmon we eat is farmed.

Exterminated beavers???

Expected nonsense from the drama queen LOL

Edited by ExFlyer

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

Cod fisheries is just fine after it was reopened.

And this is why, in a supposedly marine nation you buy your fish at the next to the highest price in the world? Congrats to you! Really why have the eyes when can just repeat the happy song and be happy forever?

1 hour ago, myata said:

And this is why, in a supposedly marine nation you buy your fish at the next to the highest price in the world? Congrats to you! Really why have the eyes when can just repeat the happy song and be happy forever?

You pay what it costs. Ya think Newfoundlanders are going to give you a discount? LOL