good news for liberals....

Justin is running for office in the next election, Liberal party is happy with that, or so it seems for now. Even with a 57 % disapproval rate, is that a record? but an approval rate of 37 % but leads in Montreal and Toronto by over whelming numbers...

So perhaps this country is not done with scandals, all the lying and cheating, i hope not it would be pretty boring if the government just did it's job...besides Canadians deserve 4 more years of Justin.

Canada's Trudeau vows to run in next election at Liberal party convention (msn.com)

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Army Guy said:

Justin is running for office in the next election, Liberal party is happy with that, or so it seems for now. Even with a 57 % disapproval rate, is that a record? but an approval rate of 37 % but leads in Montreal and Toronto by over whelming numbers...

So perhaps this country is not done with scandals, all the lying and cheating, i hope not it would be pretty boring if the government just did it's job...besides Canadians deserve 4 more years of Justin.

Canada's Trudeau vows to run in next election at Liberal party convention (msn.com)

thing is, there is no solution to the inflationary debt crisis

if they raise interest rates to constrain inflation, that will be a disaster

if they let inflation burn instead, that will be a disaster

so for whomever is in government, it is going to be a rough ride

13 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Yeah but, Trudeau was losing in the polls the last 3 elections, till the last few days before the vote. He was caught "with scandals, all the lying and cheating" back then too.

Cons seem experts at finding a way to commit political suicide.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

and for their next trick, they pick the candidate most likely to scare away centrist voters as their leader. 

I do think little PP can win, but he's going to need some image rehabilitation, and for Justin's scandals to keep coming.  The China stuff is actually scary.  

• Like 2

I will say this for Trudeau

he imposes party discipline

he rules with an iron fist

none dare defy him

that is how a Canadian Prime Minister has to be

so I would not replace him if I was the Liberals

I would double down, lean into him, go with the gal who brung you to the dance

3 hours ago, Moonbox said:

and for their next trick, they pick the candidate most likely to scare away centrist voters as their leader. 

I do think little PP can win, but he's going to need some image rehabilitation, and for Justin's scandals to keep coming.  The China stuff is actually scary.  

What's PP's plan for China, has he outlined anything yet? How will his government be immune to China's interference and how will he protect Chinese Canadians from undue influence?

I'm concerned for my Chinese grandkids and the other half of their family who fled Hong Kong some 40 years ago.

You know me I think we should be severing just about every single point of non-essential contact between our government and China's government.  I'd also stop all natural resources exports to China.

Whatever else Conservatives do, they'll have my vote if they do these things.

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

What's PP's plan for China, has he outlined anything yet? How will his government be immune to China's interference and how will he protect Chinese Canadians from undue influence?

Presumably he'll be more hawkish and less wishy-washy.  Trudeau's been handling the China file with kid gloves, if we're being generous in our descriptions.  The fact that we didn't ban Huawei from 5G until last year is beyond pathetic considering our allies and partners in the 5eyes all did years ago.  

It's no secret which party the communists would like to see in charge in Canada.  

27 minutes ago, eyeball said:

I'm concerned for my Chinese grandkids and the other half of their family who fled Hong Kong some 40 years ago.

You know me I think we should be severing just about every single point of non-essential contact between our government and China's government.  I'd also stop all natural resources exports to China.

Whatever else Conservatives do, they'll have my vote if they do these things.

I don't think we're going to do all of those things, but I too would like to see Chinese banned from major ownership on any resource or essential service.  The juice is not worth the squeeze.  

At any rate, at least on this file, we can probably safely assume the Conservatives will be more diligent on these sorts of things that the Liberals have been.  

6 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

Yeah but, Trudeau was losing in the polls the last 3 elections, till the last few days before the vote. He was caught "with scandals, all the lying and cheating" back then too.

More like the Liberals and media find ways to use the same tired hot-button social issues to keep them out of power, much as Americans do. Only here it's worse because these issues aren't even issues in Canada. The Liberals just pretend they're suddenly in danger to scare people into voting for them.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

bear in mind,

I am quite sure that the Communications Security Establishment

Canadian Forces Information Operations Group

and Canadian Special Operations Forces Command

has all the assets required to interdict these Chinese Communists on Canadian soil

but there is no will on government to do so

thus Joint Task Force Two, who could be taking these Chinese Communist operatives down

under the mandate of the National Mission Force

are just sitting on their hands at Dwyer Hill waiting for orders

thanks, Justin Trudeau

I think cold weather tempers individualism. On top of that, Pearson and Trudeau père had a profound influence on our political culture that still endures. We have four left-wing parties and two right-wing ones, one of those being beyond the Pale. So the Tories have an uphill fight, as we know. 

JT’s success has always surprised me but that’s probably a generational thing. I can’t see him winning next time. 

2 hours ago, I am Groot said:

More like the Liberals and media find ways to use the same tired hot-button social issues to keep them out of power, much as Americans do. Only here it's worse because these issues aren't even issues in Canada. The Liberals just pretend they're suddenly in danger to scare people into voting for them.

You would think those "same tired hot-button social issues " would have changed in the past 15 years? But they clearly have not if they still hang over the necks of the cons..

I think the conservatives have to get out of the "country". Meaning, they have all the farmers and hunters and back woods folks but, they do not have the city dwellers.

You would think those "same tired hot-button social issues " would have changed in the past 15 years? But they clearly have not if they still hang over the necks of the cons..

I think the conservatives have to get out of the "country". Meaning, they have all the farmers and hunters and back woods folks but, they do not have the city dwellers.

The urban areas are where those most disposed towards big government live, including millions of public sector workers and their famiies, all the graduates of liberal arts programs and the various xxx studies programs, and most of those on various welfare programs. It's where people expect a government to take care of everything for them, including transport them around, supply them with water and sewage, and provide them with sport and entertainment. People in the more rural areas take care of all this themselves. They rarely have much contact with government and like it that way.

15 hours ago, ExFlyer said:

No they weren't -  they were about neck and neck the first time, and last time they went because they were so FAR ahead they were sure they'd get a majority!

I can't remember the middle one but nobody calls an election when they're behind in teh polls so i bet if we look it up they were ahead there as well.

I don't know where you got that but no, you're QUITE wrong.

In third-world countries, oligarchies of entrenched elites rule for decades by using a combination of political manipulation, propaganda, deceit and sprinkling cookies out of public budget at the right time, with non-existent public checks and controls. Change is only possible in a deep crisis and then it doesn't change much. It's a one-way ticket. Only an observation. Brazil knows.

13 hours ago, I am Groot said:

The urban areas are where those most disposed towards big government live, including millions of public sector workers and their famiies, all the graduates of liberal arts programs and the various xxx studies programs, and most of those on various welfare programs. It's where people expect a government to take care of everything for them, including transport them around, supply them with water and sewage, and provide them with sport and entertainment. People in the more rural areas take care of all this themselves. They rarely have much contact with government and like it that way.

So, you seem to agree, as I said, "I think the conservatives have to get out of the "country". Meaning, they have all the farmers and hunters and back woods folks but, they do not have the city dwellers."

Call them urbanites if you wish but, the conservatives have to go to them and get them if they want to win. It is clear that the people in the GTA a nd southern Ontario are far more important than those in Alberta, Saskatchewan and Manitoba put together.

Edited by ExFlyer

8 hours ago, CdnFox said:

No they weren't -  they were about neck and neck the first time, and last time they went because they were so FAR ahead they were sure they'd get a majority!

I can't remember the middle one but nobody calls an election when they're behind in teh polls so i bet if we look it up they were ahead there as well.

I don't know where you got that but no, you're QUITE wrong.

The cons got close in the end but prior to the election, they were ahead because of all the liberal faux pas. In my mind, Harper was a shoe in with black face running but even that did not hurt in the end.

My point was that despite all the scandals etc of Trudeau and liberals, the conservatives could not take advantage of it and lost the last 3 elections.

Just now, myata said:

In infinite time, someone would have stumbled on a revelation that with bottomless bucket of dough at hand and zero effective checks and controls, winning" elections" may not be so challenging. I wonder who it will be?

"zero effective checks and controls"? Are you trying to say the elections were stolen?? You are now sounding very trumpian LOL

8 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

Are you trying to say the elections were stolen??

No, no need for that drama. Rather, the funny coin phrase "governments face responsibility at the time of election" (translating as: and at no other time, in Canada at least) has an important, unspoken condition: the electors have to be intelligent and involved, in a democracy citizens. See, it's not obvious but you forgot because it's so rarely spoken of.

SNC-Lavalin scandal + democracy: we cannot allow shady deals and compromising our justice systems. This government has to go.

Some major scandal + Venezuela: they promise us a few more crumbs and so we'll vote for whoever and who cares about scandals.

The phrase is the same. The factual outcomes, starkly different. Don't ever think that a cute, thoughtful phrase will fix everything (actually, that's anything).

22 minutes ago, myata said:

No, no need for that drama. Rather, the funny coin phrase "governments face responsibility at the time of election" (translating as: and at no other time, in Canada at least) has an important, unspoken condition: the electors have to be intelligent and involved, in a democracy citizens. See, it's not obvious but you forgot because it's so rarely spoken of.

SNC-Lavalin scandal + democracy: we cannot allow shady deals and compromising our justice systems. This government has to go.

Some major scandal + Venezuela: they promise us a few more crumbs and so we'll vote for whoever and who cares about scandals.

The phrase is the same. The factual outcomes, starkly different. Don't ever think that a cute, thoughtful phrase will fix everything (actually, that's anything).

Shaking my head.... you make no sense.

You said "zero effective checks and controls, winning" elections" may not be so challenging." alluding that there are no checks and controls in our elections.

Your response makes no sense, in response or as a stand alone comment.

54 minutes ago, ExFlyer said:

So, you seem to agree, as I said, "I think the conservatives have to get out of the "country". Meaning, they have all the farmers and hunters and back woods folks but, they do not have the city dwellers."

Call them urbanites if you wish but, the conservatives have to go to them and get them if they want to win.

They've won before without many of them. I think the recurring problem in Canada is that too many of us want the government to do everything but blow our nose when we sneeze. We don't like to pay high taxes, though. So the government borrows money. Then as the bills mount some people start to get nervous about the enthusiasm the Liberal government has for borrowing money. So we turn to the conservatives to pay it off. Then we get tired of the cuts and hard-nosed government and want the 'kind and gentle' nanny-style government again to sooth all our hurts and tell us nothing is our fault. Or at least try. Or at least, as with the current government, pretend to try.

The thing is, the conservatives can't BE conservatives and be THAT kind of government.

Edited by I am Groot

1 hour ago, myata said:

SNC-Lavalin scandal + democracy: we cannot allow shady deals and compromising our justice systems.

Cleary we can.  As evidenced by the fact that we did and that no one is very interested in taking measures that might prevent it.   

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, eyeball said:

Cleary we can.  As evidenced by the fact that we did and that no one is very interested in taking measures that might prevent it.   

but the measures are in place and they already took effect

a senior Cabinet Minister publicly outed Trudeau for breaking the law

it hasn't been concealed, everybody is aware

there is no magical measures for preempting people from breaking the law

Trudeau didn't even try to hide it, he proudly proclaimed it

The cons got close in the end but prior to the election, they were ahead because of all the liberal faux pas. In my mind, Harper was a shoe in with black face running but even that did not hurt in the end.

Dude, you know i respect you even tho we're on other sides of the fence politically but your memory is bruttally off on thsi whole subject.

Blackface didnt' come out till Scheer's campaign, long after harper lost. Harper was weak going into the 2015 election - as are most prime ministers who've been in power for almost 10 years - and he ran a crap campaign, but he was never strong in the polls.  What happened there is for the longest time the libs and ndp were neck and neck and then the ndp blew it on the quebec question and their support flooded to the libs.

Scheer had a SLIGHT numerical lead (and finished with a slight numerical lead) but was never 'ahead' due to most of his lead being from overwhelming support in one or two provinces. He finished as he started after one of the worst campaigns i've ever seen.

O'toole was FAR behind in the polls and if we're measuring success in 'improvement" during the election he's the big winner of the three. The libs thought they had a clear majority - he climbed ahead of them and at one point was threatening a majority himself, then blew it on the gun issue by flip flopping for three days and then fizzled in the last half where the media just kept asking him where kenney was.

My point was that despite all the scandals etc of Trudeau and liberals, the conservatives could not take advantage of it and lost the last 3 elections.

Well - again - not to be a jerk but the libs didn't have any scandals in the first of those elections, they weren't in power yet.

So you mean the last two elections. And your'e somewhat right - the libs lost a lot of seats and were dragged to a minority gov't and held there when they THOUGHT they had a majority after how they handled covid.

But it is true that scheer ran an absolutely horrible campaign and of course the problem is that ontario voters don't care about corrpution (hell they seem to look at it as a prerequisite).  So you CANNOT run on corruption alone. The east doesn't care how corrupt a gov't is.  Only the west does and there's not nearly as many people there.

PP will have to come at it from a different angle but it looks like he's prepared to do just that.