Dominion settles out of court for 787 million dollars

13 hours ago, sharkman said:

This is great news, and sorely needed in the realm of media organizations.  A landmark ruling, if you will.  No longer will Fox be allowed to defame and commit fraud.   Lie about organizations and people.  The ramifications of this court case will shake the foundations of CNN, NBC and all the rest.

Because the die has been cast now.  You can’t lie about issues and people.  Hide the truth.  Carry on a conspiracy against an organization you don’t like.  They have all stepped over the line, and they will pay now.

Trump no doubt has a huge smile today.  He’ll be bringing suits into court, and if he has to appeal all the way to SCOTUS, he’ll eventually get justice.  

I’d suggest starting with CNN, they are on their last legs. 

Defamation is about what you say, not what you don't say. FOX just found that out. The other networks already knew it.

Fox will survive. Yes they lied. This case now opens the door for the likes of CNN MSNBC to get sued.

Oh dear, what was I thinking, I just posted in a loud lefty echo chamber thread. ?

4 minutes ago, Legato said:

This case now opens the door for the likes of CNN MSNBC to get sued.

How exactly does it "now" "open" the "door" ???

The case was settled.  No case law precedents were set, nor for that matter was there anything so unusual about this in terms of defamation.  

CNN is unique in its journalistic crappiness but their lawyers aren't so stupid as to think they can get away with this kind of thing.  Alex Jones and FOX provoked the slow and crushing wheels of justice and they were served its recourse.

Conspiracy Theories should be distributed by Russian-backed offshore bots and forum 1diots NOT wealthy broadcast networks and corporations.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Legato said:

Fox will survive. Yes they lied. This case now opens the door for the likes of CNN MSNBC to get sued.

Oh dear, what was I thinking, I just posted in a loud lefty echo chamber thread. ?

Why haven't they been sued already? Time to put up or shut up.

14 hours ago, Aristides said:

CNN and MSNBC may lean left but they don't intentionally lie

They absolutely do intentionally lie.  As just one of many examples look at the trevon martin case, NBC came right out and said they were very sorry they doctored the recording and spliced it to make it sound more racist. CNN is no better. There's been many examples, and frankly the CNN editorials are even worse than tuckers often enough.

At the end of the day it's not even a 'rigtht or left' thing, "the Press" has  become infotainment, where they pose as people reporting news but really they're just political commentators pandering to their target market's confirmation bias to sell ads and subscriptions. And if they have to lie to get attention so be it

They're all the same in that regard,

16 minutes ago, Aristides said:

I agree that cable news is not a good source unless you are willing to fact check their claims. But you should do that with any source if something doesn't ring a bell or seems too good to be true.

Absolutely. IN fact you should do a quick check or consider it 'unverified' even if it DOESN'T sound too good to be true

truth is i've been directly involved with a number of newspapers stories, mostly positive, and even then where there' zero reason at all for them to want to get the facts wrong they always get at least a few substantial facts incorrect.  On small stories even.

It is what it is. "Trust in god but tie up your horse".

2 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Absolutely. IN fact you should do a quick check or consider it 'unverified' even if it DOESN'T sound too good to be true

truth is i've been directly involved with a number of newspapers stories, mostly positive, and even then where there' zero reason at all for them to want to get the facts wrong they always get at least a few substantial facts incorrect.  On small stories even.

It is what it is. "Trust in god but tie up your horse".

Sure, reporters are not infallible and often have know real knowledge of the subject they are reporting. They don't intentionally lie, like FOX.

My field was aviation and I cringe at some of the aviation related reporting I see but at the same time, there is no intent to misinform.

13 minutes ago, Aristides said:

My field was aviation and I cringe at some of the aviation related reporting I see but at the same time, there is no intent to misinform.

Not in every case, no.  But every major media does lie and does so frequently. CBC has been caught at it many times. NBC,  CNN, Fox, etc all do.

It would be wrong to say every story is a lie, and wrong often to say that a story is a COMPLETE  lie, but they all lie. THey're usually just better at being able to maintain deniability.

1 minute ago, Aristides said:

As I said before, defamation isn't about what you don't say, it's about what you do say. 

Trump sues everyone in sight, why has he never sued any of those other networks?

Because every time they mention him he went up in the polls even when they were lying :) He loves as much media attention as he can get. He will either turn their attacks into wins for himself because he counters them, or wins for himsef because the fact they won proves the system is rigged.

But as i said they've admitted to lying in many cases.

And they have been sued:

https://www.wsj.com/articles/smiledirectclub-sues-nbc-over-news-report-seeking-2-85-billion-11589832227

https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/07/media/cnn-settles-lawsuit-viral-video/index.html

https://www.businessinsider.com/chris-cuomo-turns-don-lemon-in-legal-pursuit-125-million-2022-3?op=1

Etc etc. I could easily fill the page but you get the idea.

19 hours ago, CrakHoBarbie said:

Dominion settles out of court today for $787.5 million dollars in one of the largest settlements in a defamation case in U.S. history. A spokesperson for Fox stated: “we acknowledge the court’s rulings finding certain claims about Dominion to be false.” a clear admission of fault.

Next up, Smartmatic will sue Fox.

https://www.google.com/search?client=firefox-b-1-m&q=will+fox+apologies+publically&oq=will+fox+apologies+publically&aqs=heirloom-srp..

Do your homework, Fox, Jesus Christ. 

3 hours ago, Legato said:

Here’s what you’re thinking:

“Fox News just got caught lying their asses off so badly they ruined a company and caused its employees to receive death threats.  I guess I better deflect this discussion to something else.”  

That’s how ALL the right wingers here think.  You guys think you’re morally superior, but EVERY SINGLE TIME someone points out something immoral or illegal that a Republican did, you rush to his defense and toss out an irrelevant whataboutism attack. You guys have absolutely no moral values at all. It’s plain to see.  

Edited by Rebound
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Rebound said:

Here’s what you’re thinking:

“Fox News just got caught lying their asses off so badly they ruined a company and caused its employees to receive death threats.  I guess I better deflect this discussion to something else.”  

That’s how ALL the right wingers here think.  You guys think you’re morally superior, but EVERY SINGLE TIME someone points out something immoral or illegal that a Republican did, you rush to his defense and toss out an irrelevant whataboutism attack. You guys have absolutely no moral values at all. It’s plain to see.  

What's plainly obvious is your post lacks any coherent thought. Although the knee jerk was off the Richter scale.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Legato said:

What's plainly obvious is your post lacks any coherent thought. Although the knee jerk was off the Richter scale.

Just cause your cognitive dissonance kicked in and kept you from even attempting to understand what was said does NOT mean the "post lacks any coherent thought."

It just means you rejected it without understanding it.

46 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Just cause your cognitive dissonance kicked in and kept you from even attempting to understand what was said does NOT mean the "post lacks any coherent thought."

It just means you rejected it without understanding it.

No, @Legato got it right. Your post lacked any coherent thought. Just the usual "right man bad" blather that the average parrot could be trained to do as well or better.

If you don't want to get called out for being dumb... try not being dumb.

Edited by CdnFox

43 minutes ago, robosmith said:

It's NOT "my post." "try not being dumb" Duh.

Well in fairness you're both equally stupid so it's pretty hard to tell you two apart :) I just assumed it was a shill account.

The point still stands - i notice you couldn't disagree with what i said :) LOLOL!

23 hours ago, CdnFox said:

They absolutely do intentionally lie.  As just one of many examples look at the trevon martin case, NBC came right out and said they were very sorry they doctored the recording and spliced it to make it sound more racist. CNN is no better. There's been many examples, and frankly the CNN editorials are even worse than tuckers often enough.

At the end of the day it's not even a 'rigtht or left' thing, "the Press" has  become infotainment, where they pose as people reporting news but really they're just political commentators pandering to their target market's confirmation bias to sell ads and subscriptions. And if they have to lie to get attention so be it

They're all the same in that regard,

The data is manipulated by both sides. This time, Foxpropaganda lied about election fraud..... Was sued for lying about election fraud.... And then paid out $787.5 million dollars to make it all "go away".

12 minutes ago, CrakHoBarbie said:

The data is manipulated by both sides. This time, Foxpropaganda lied about election fraud..... Was sued for lying about election fraud.... And then paid out $787.5 million dollars to make it all "go away".

If by 'the data is manipulated' you mean both sides lie then yes :)

And absolutely, this time fox lied and got busted. Just as Cnnpropaganda has lied and got busted and sued, and NBC, and most of the others at some point ;)

Unfortunately the cost of the lawsuits often aren't enough to make them consider being honest. Just more crafty.  Insurance will cover a big hunk of this, which REALLY means that all newspapers will help pay for it.  AND Fox is now larger than ALL the other major ones COMBINED - and it built a hunk of that on the outrage these lies cost. So - how do you fight that? Sure this is going to cost them but they probably made more in the long run from doing it.

The others are the same. at best it makes them more careful about covering up the lies.  Unfortunately.

On 4/19/2023 at 7:58 AM, Legato said:

Dude - cnn and nbc have been sued for lying for large amounts of money before plenty. In many cases we don't even know how large because they negotiate non disclosures.

6 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

If by 'the data is manipulated' you mean both sides lie then yes :)

And absolutely, this time fox lied and got busted. Just as Cnnpropaganda has lied and got busted and sued, and NBC, and most of the others at some point ;)

Unfortunately the cost of the lawsuits often aren't enough to make them consider being honest. Just more crafty.  Insurance will cover a big hunk of this, which REALLY means that all newspapers will help pay for it.  AND Fox is now larger than ALL the other major ones COMBINED - and it built a hunk of that on the outrage these lies cost. So - how do you fight that? Sure this is going to cost them but they probably made more in the long run from doing it.

The others are the same. at best it makes them more careful about covering up the lies.  Unfortunately.

Omg...... You agreed with me..... I'll alert the media.

I wonder how they'll spin it?