Dear boomers: I’m a millennial, 36, and it looks like I will never get to retire

12 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. How so ?  I'm just repeating what Poilievre has been saying: times are bad.
2. Sorry - do you have anything to say for the fact that housing is about 2.75X harder to pay for than 50 years ago ?
3. If the costs of buying increase by that amount, it would explain why rents are also onerous.
4. Ok, you were making about $140K in today's dollars.  You wouldn't have been able to afford a house at all today even making that.

Regurgitating Polievre does not do you justice LOL

I was living in the 70's and 80's and 90's, on the dollars at the time. Why can you not accept that it was very difficult back then too??

Making excuses for millennial excess does not become you Michael.

Edited by ExFlyer

Just now, ExFlyer said:

1. I was living in the 70's and 80's and 90's, on the dollars at the time. Why can you not accept that it was very difficult back then too??

2. Making excuses for millennial excess does not become you Michael.

1. Sorry - if it wasn't clear I do accept that it was difficult.  I was around back then and the unemployment situation was dire, for one thing.

2. Millennial excess is a generational red herring.  The millennials I know are forced to live very prudently indeed.  The ones that are cited in media are, to my mind, offered up as confirmation bias for boomers who spoiled their children perhaps.

Anyway, as you said we have discussed this one now perhaps to the end.  I stand on my statistic - "In 1970, a house cost about 4 years' wages in Canada.  In 2023 the average house price in Canada is $660K and the average wage is $60K  meaning it now costs 11 years' wages."

• Like 1

5 hours ago, myata said:

We don't have a democracy. The system was designed to sail blissfully with tied eyes forever, the sails allowing exactly positions North or South but it was two centuries back.

Duhhh what????

I think you have thoughts developed in your brain but do not have the abiltiy to get it down on paper LOL

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Sorry - if it wasn't clear I do accept that it was difficult.  I was around back then and the unemployment situation was dire, for one thing.

2. Millennial excess is a generational red herring.  The millennials I know are forced to live very prudently indeed.  The ones that are cited in media are, to my mind, offered up as confirmation bias for boomers who spoiled their children perhaps.

Anyway, as you said we have discussed this one now perhaps to the end.  I stand on my statistic - "In 1970, a house cost about 4 years' wages in Canada.  In 2023 the average house price in Canada is $660K and the average wage is $60K  meaning it now costs 11 years' wages."

Your obsession with the cost of housing is what baffles me and to use that one statistic as your premise of affordability.

As I have said numerous times, there is no right to own a home. Some do , some can, some don't some won't but no one has the right to buy a house.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

1. My comment was to myata

1. I know.  I was just trying to contribute.

1 hour ago, ExFlyer said:

2. Your obsession with the cost of housing is what baffles me and to use that one statistic as your premise of affordability.

3. As I have said numerous times, there is no right to own a home. Some do , some can, some don't some won't but no one has the right to buy a house.

2. Well, it's pretty elementary.  The cost of housing in terms of current wages - I can't think of a better way to frame it.  You came back with another take based on your personal experience.  It was perfectly valid, and I addressed my take on it.  All good.

3.  Yes, of course.  I agree and completely concur - HOWEVER, the costs are being passed on to renters here also.

But as you said, I think we've said our piece on this.  Unless you're open to me citing more metrics, that is.

2 hours ago, -TSS- said:

I think there's never been a time that a young generation wouldn't have blamed the generation above them for their problems. Or that the old generation wouldn't have thought that the young generation is bone idle lazy.

Exactly.  It's almost like some people don't want change and others are impatient for it...

4 hours ago, -TSS- said:

I think there's never been a time that a young generation wouldn't have blamed the generation above them for their problems. Or that the old generation wouldn't have thought that the young generation is bone idle lazy.

I think today's younger generations are justified. Our boomer generation should definitely be faulted for having only complained. That's not to say some didn't try to turn things around but given the respectability that dictatorships enjoy, the fact CO2 emissions are still increasing and wealth and income gaps keep get wider with each passing year...future generations will probably have a lot more to complain about.

Edited by eyeball
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, eyeball said:

I think today's younger generations are justified. Our boomer generation should definitely be faulted for having only complained. That's not to say some didn't try to turn things around but given the respectability that dictatorships enjoy, the fact CO2 emissions are still increasing and wealth and income gaps keep get wider with each passing year...future generations will probably have a lot more to complain about.

The wealth income gap is a meanless measure tho.  Lets say you earn 40 grand a year, and some ohter guy earns 100. The economy improves and suddenly you're earning 50 and he's earning 140.  How have you suffered? How would you be better off if he went DOWN to 60? How would that make your life better?

For the wealth income gap to matter you would have to show how that person's increase somehow directly hurts you. Otherwise it's just a case of unjustified envy.

As to co2 - i don't think the boomers are using any MORE co2 right now than the millenials so what's the issue there?

If future generations have something to complain about you'd have to make that case a lot better than that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CdnFox said:

If future generations have something to complain about you'd have to make that case a lot better than that.

No they'll get it.  We'll likely be left trying to explain why we didn't just kill you people.

I'm afraid I just don't have an answer for that.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

No they'll get it.  We'll likely be left trying to explain why we didn't just kill you people.

Well if you mean boomers by 'you people' then the answer is simple - they have guns and balls and you don't :)

I'm sure future generations will lie to themselves about it just like you do, but the only thing people who do  that 'Get" is what they deserve .

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

I'm afraid I just don't have an answer for that.

Doesn't sound like you have much of an answer for anything. Can't imagine why your generation is failing :)

43 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Well if you mean boomers by 'you people' then the answer is simple - they have guns and balls and you don't :)

You mean the people with the balls and guns who've done absolutely nothing but cry about all the commies taking over?

No, I meant another type of chucklefuk who managed to keep things as close to where they've been for generations - in particular wherever the economy versus the environment or society is concerned.

I'm sure future generations will lie to themselves about it just like you do,

I'm not lying, the growth of dictatorships, the growth in CO2 emissions and an ever widening gap between wealthy and poor can only have one outcome.

You'll need institutions that resemble Klingon military prep schools to ensure future generation have the balls it'll take to do anything about that.  Heck that's probably where dictators send their kids to school.  They're not stupid they're just real sphincters about getting ahead is all. 

Doesn't sound like you have much of an answer for anything.

Sure I do, just ask.

Can't imagine why your generation is failing :)

Maybe you live on an imaginary planet where sustainability doesn't matter. Sounds like La La Land.

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

You mean the people with the balls and guns who've done absolutely nothing but cry about all the commies taking over?

Well if they've done absolutely nothing then what are you crying about? Obviously they're not at fault for anything then :)

No, I meant another type of chucklefuk who managed to keep things as close to where they've been for generations - in particular wherever the economy versus the environment or society is concerned.

So millennials then. They've certainly done that, they keep voting in liberal gov'ts who make the environment worse and worse and insisting on things like carbon taxes which do nothing but keep the economy from improving.  As to society -  fair enough you can't accuse the millennials of not changing society - historically canadians have been very united but thanks to the millenial efforts we are now a more divided and hostile country than we have ever been by far. That's definitely new.

I'm not lying, the growth of dictatorships, the growth in CO2 emissions and an ever widening gap between wealthy and poor can only have one outcome.

Well you are lying of course. That's what happens when you focus on your echo chamber instead of facts, you wind up lying to attempt to justify your position.

"wealth gap' has been addressed, CO2 is going up becasue of millenials, not the boomers, and the only dictator you need to worry about right now is the one  in ottawa.

You'll need institutions that resemble Klingon military prep schools to ensure future generation have the balls it'll take to do anything about that

No, we just need people who think with their heads and not their echochambers. No balls needed. It's simple. But unfortunately we may have to wait a generation or two more before that happens. The millennials seem to think they can solve the problems with blaming others and essential oils. 

Heck that's probably where dictators send their kids to school.  They're not stupid they're just real sphincters about getting ahead is all. 

The 'dictators' are sending their children to 'kingon school'.  Uh huh.

These 'dictators'.... are they in the room with us right now?

Sure I do, just ask.

I'm sure you'll answer - it just won't be much of an answer.

Maybe you live on an imaginary planet where sustainability doesn't matter. Sounds like La La Land.

Lefties like you don't care about sustainability.  Like - at all. You like to virtue signal that you do but you don't. Otherwise you woudn't support the current carbon tax - it jsut lines the pockets of the gov't and does nothing for the environment. You wouldn't keep voting in a party that has the WORST environmental record - that keeps you happy by signing documents like kyoto and paris and then COMPLETELY ignoring them and blowing past their targets.

You repress our own oil and gas industries which forces allies to switch to russian fuel, and pays for wars which aren't exactly environmentally friendly. You ignore that a prosperous gas industry could fund our future green tech instead of war.  You pretend if we're not digging up the oil that somehow the people around the world who now buy it from the Russians will stop using oil.

You want to know who's to blame for the current situation? Go look in a mirror kiddo. It ain't the boomers.

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/5/2023 at 7:11 PM, CdnFox said:

Well then i guess you shouldn't have voted liberal should you.

This is a serious problem for kids today but there is NOTHING LEFT that can be done. With the debt that's piled up and the mismanagement of the gov't the damage is so deep that these kids will be well into their 50's by the time things get back to 'normal' and they have a chance, and it'll be a little late for them at that point.

People think elections dont' matter and who's in gov't doesn't matter - but it matters. We need to get back to fiscal responsibility.

Oh and PS kid - Justin promised you that he'd take action on housing - did you see that great plan in this recent budget to build a bunch more houses so homes can be affordable? Yeah, me neither. Sucker.

You're now the second person I've seen on here blaming " voting Liberal" or Trudeau " for your poor financial situation

Maybe get off your ass and work a little harder, make better financial decisions and stop expecting the government to take care of you ( though I do find it humorous that you're doing exactly what the right says the left does, ie needing gov hand outs)

I'm in my late 30's, I'm a foster kid that was homelessat 15 and dropped out of highschool and I don't need anything from the government. I have my own home, run my own business  and have made my own plans for retirement (at 55 if all goes well).

But you keep telling yourself you're poor because of that meany Justin, hopefully I'll be walking down the street you're pan handling on and I can kick you down a few bucks of my hard earned money for you to eat

Edited by SkyHigh

16 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

I'm in my late 30's, I'm a foster kid that was homeless at 15 and dropped out of highschool and I don't need anything from the government. I have my own home, run my own business  and have made my own plans for retirement (at 55 if all goes well). 

So you succeeded all by yourself then.  Have you considered that maybe you are exceptional ?

Or do you think people are really so terrible that their failings are causing this widespread disparity ?

21 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

You're now the second person I've seen on here blaming " voting Liberal" or Trudeau " for your poor financial situation

Mine?  Who said I have a poor financial situation. 

Maybe get off your ass and work a little harder, make better financial decisions and stop expecting the government to take care of you ( though I do find it humorous that you're doing exactly what the right says the left does, ie needing gov hand outs)

I think you didn't read that carefully enough.  I'm actually doing pretty good :)

I'm in my late 30's, I'm a foster kid that was homelessat 15 and dropped out of highschool and I don't need anything from the government. I have my own home, run my own business  and have made my own plans for retirement (at 55 if all goes well).

Good. Proves that these millennials are crybabying for nothing.  Although your lack of formal education seems to be showing in your reading skills :)

But you keep telling yourself you're poor because of that meany Justin, hopefully I'll be walking down the street you're pan handling on and I can kick you down a few bucks of my hard earned money for you to eat

Dude, i'm pretty well off and i own my own home. Almost paid off.  I don't know how you managed to read it that i was complaining about MY situation ;)

But honestly the kids today are going to be at a disadvantage and they DO have the libs to thank for that. THe higher interest rates, the low business engagement and lower paying jobs, the very high inflation, and a debt that has doubled and then some - all of that is going to be like an anchor to the ecomomy and their prospects for at least the next decade, probably more like 2.

And the immigration compared to new home construction is going to keep their rents sky high and ownership out of reach.

Sad situation

5 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

So you succeeded all by yourself then.  Have you considered that maybe you are exceptional ?

Or do you think people are really so terrible that their failings are causing this widespread disparity ?

I can of course only speak to my reality but 

Me exceptional? No. 

I'm a reasonably intelligent person who has worked very hard for what I have but started with nothing. Did I get a bit of good luck? Probably.

Terrible? no. Lazy, often

But I am a firm believer in life is what you make it, so for the most part people are where they deserve to be (excluding of course those without the mental or physical capacity to succeed)

26 minutes ago, CdnFox said:

Although your lack of formal education seems to be showing in your reading skills :)

Hmmm ? Title written in the first person and the post just bashing Trudeau, maybe less reading comprehension and more poor writing skills.

Forgive me for assuming you were poor, it's just with the time you spend on a pointless Internet forum picking fights lead me to believe your earning potential wasn't very high 

2 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. Trick question.  Of course you are.  You need to ask yourself why you look at life this way IMO.

Nope just a regular everyday  normal guy ( check out that song by Jon lajoie)

Look at life in which way I'm sorry I don't understand

Life is what you make it?

It's like my creed, I've been through some pretty crazy things and what got me out was a positive outlook 

1 minute ago, SkyHigh said:

1. Nope just a regular everyday  normal guy

2. ( check out that song by Jon lajoie)

3. t's like my creed, I've been through some pretty crazy things and what got me out was a positive outlook 

1. No.
2. "I get nervous in social situations m***f***" yep.
3. You have more in your fibre than 99.9% of the population I would guess.

8 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

Hmmm ? Title written in the first person and the post just bashing Trudeau, maybe less reading comprehension and more poor writing skills.

Everyone else got it. Speaking of blaming others for your own deficiencies.....

8 minutes ago, SkyHigh said:

Forgive me for assuming you were poor, it's just with the time you spend on a pointless Internet forum picking fights lead me to believe your earning potential wasn't very high 

It's fine. You're obviously not very intelligent, so certain allowances have to be made. It's not like anyone expects you to be right very often.

1 minute ago, CdnFox said:

Everyone else got it. Speaking of blaming others for your own deficiencies.....

It's fine. You're obviously not very intelligent, so certain allowances have to be made. It's not like anyone expects you to be right very often.

Always with the adhoms, but I'm not intelligent

Ok kiddo, go play with someone else