Are you Loyal to any Brands?

Perspektiv

Just now, bcsapper said:

I keep promising myself an espresso maker.  I just use the pour over method.

Of course, I drink about a litre a day.

I bought the Magister

it was $1300.00, but that was the cheapest one available

it's got all the features tho, it's a true Italian espresso machine

it has lasted me a decade now, and I can get it repaired, parts replaced, so it doesn't have built in obsolescence

thus over time, the expense is less than buying a cheap throw away type every couple of years

magister_640x640_crop_center.png?v=16063

12 minutes ago, bcsapper said:

Of course, I drink about a litre a day.

thing about an espresso machine, is that you have to let the grupo get nice & hot first

so you have to turn it on about 20 minutes in advance of making espresso

so I mostly use it on weekends when I have time, as I am right now

started off with espresso first thing, now moving on to the afternoon with macchiatos

Corso Italia

I've become a fan of Yeti

one of our parts suppliers at work sends us free Yeti mugs as a complimentary gift

we get one with every order, so now everybody at work has one

it's a thermos mug which keeps your coffee hot all day in the cup

but it's also great for the espresso maker

you can froth your milk right in the Yeti

then it keeps it warm out on the patio for Apres Ski

I also have the Yeti whisky tumbler

great for work and/or outdoor use, because they are stainless steel, drop safe

e434ec10f06362b4b4708637648a83ae_raw380h

it's the 007 of coffee mugs

Being a single guy who only wants a couple decent cups to wake up with the Keurig with Costco Pacific Bold is more than adequate. So I guess I'm loyal to that. Occasionally grab some Starbucks pods for an extra boost.

I find Timmies coffee disgusting like their donuts, and every attempt with their dark blends a fail. Only thing that can be said it's HOT, iike so damn hot if I drive for half an hour, it's cool enough to sip. We preferred A&W coffee as those were the 2 choices on the highway to town.

Been stuck buying clothes at Moore's, i take shirts in XLT and as everything's made in China these days and they have a cartoon perception of 'big people' 2XL,3XL,4XL are just tents with sleeves that only reach your elbows. Pants over 36 only come in 30" legs.
And living here, it pisses me to no end about the corporate management that decides what to stock in stores. Prince George is full of loggers, millworkers and truck drivers so you can buy size Small Carharts, Size 8 workboots and size 32 jeans anywhere on sale anytime. Any size larger is out of stock in 3 minutes and head office won't send more. The hardware stores are already full of gardening goods and not a snowblower left, but there's still 4 ft of snow on top of ground frozen 4 ft deep. I bet ladies wear is displaying bikinis too.

I'm also loyal to Safeway too, for having real meat cutters and cows that produce more than just hamburger and steaks, bakers that actually bake and a sushi bar where they make it there instead of trucking it 2 days from Vancouver. Unfortunately the closest one left is in Terrace 6 hours away.

And I guess Jeep for making vehicles that can move when it snows on a Saturday when they won't pay overtime, or after the 15th when the snow removal budget runs out.

I don't think i'm "loyal" to any brand, but i think i do take into account a brand's track record with me when considering a purchase.  For example, i am in no way loyal to Toyota, but i've owned a number and they've all been really good to me, so if i'm choosing a vehicle and the choice is a close race between a toyota product and another product that's going to be a significant factor.

So i have brands i tend to trust more based on track record, and some i expressly don't trust based on track record. And of course ones i have no experience with and are neutral.

I bug every guy stocking pop and every restaurant I go to to ditch the Diet branded pop..

Guys (most) don't like a can with DIET blaring out on the label. Zero sugar IS diet soda without the connotations. So what, maybe that person's diabetic like 1/3 of the people I hang with... sometimes I'd have a chug of the wife's Fresca to remind me I hated the diet taste.

I woke up last week and realized why the flavour of GZero Orange was so comforting... reminded me exactly of the watery half pint Dairyland Orange Drinks we'd get on Hot Dog Day back in Elementary School. ?

On 2/24/2023 at 3:53 PM, Perspektiv said:

When it comes down to what you buy, does brand play a part? If so, do you tend to stick to that brand? Or simply that product?

What does it take for you to stick to a product, if you do?

Are you loyal to any brands?

Wurther's Originals. I'm a hopeless addict and I'll buy them off anyone anytime anywhere.

I'm sure there are dozens of other Originals addicts where I live because they disappear off the shelves first compared to all the other types Wurther's make.  I see this everywhere I go, in every store in every town.  It's very weird.

On 2/26/2023 at 10:46 PM, herbie said:

I bug every guy stocking pop and every restaurant I go to to ditch the Diet branded pop..

Guys (most) don't like a can with DIET blaring out on the label. Zero sugar IS diet soda without the connotations. So what, maybe that person's diabetic like 1/3 of the people I hang with

Wow you really are a visionary and activist in your community, hey? ???

I heard there's new research showing that zero-cal shit might be causing yer diabetes. Maybe read up some, or talk to a dietician. Get with the times fella.

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Wow you really are a visionary and activist in your community, hey? ???

I heard there's new research showing that zero-cal shit might be causing yer diabetes. Maybe read up some, or talk to a dietician. Get with the times fella.

I'm pretty sure the research will show the full sugar version is a lot worse for diabetes :)

5 hours ago, herbie said:

You read lots of obscure contrarian bullshit.

Not helping does not equal causing. Excessive sugar is the cause.

I read scientific articles, yes. It's a little old thing called edu-macation. Give 'er a try fella,

who knows, you might even grow a brian

;)

On 2/26/2023 at 12:47 AM, herbie said:

Being a single guy who only wants a couple decent cups to wake up with the Keurig with Costco Pacific Bold is more than adequate. So I guess I'm loyal to that. Occasionally grab some Starbucks pods for an extra boost.

I find Timmies coffee disgusting like their donuts, and every attempt with their dark blends a fail. Only thing that can be said it's HOT, iike so damn hot if I drive for half an hour, it's cool enough to sip. We preferred A&W coffee as those were the 2 choices on the highway to town.

Been stuck buying clothes at Moore's, i take shirts in XLT and as everything's made in China these days and they have a cartoon perception of 'big people' 2XL,3XL,4XL are just tents with sleeves that only reach your elbows. Pants over 36 only come in 30" legs.
And living here, it pisses me to no end about the corporate management that decides what to stock in stores. Prince George is full of loggers, millworkers and truck drivers so you can buy size Small Carharts, Size 8 workboots and size 32 jeans anywhere on sale anytime. Any size larger is out of stock in 3 minutes and head office won't send more. The hardware stores are already full of gardening goods and not a snowblower left, but there's still 4 ft of snow on top of ground frozen 4 ft deep. I bet ladies wear is displaying bikinis too.

I'm also loyal to Safeway too, for having real meat cutters and cows that produce more than just hamburger and steaks, bakers that actually bake and a sushi bar where they make it there instead of trucking it 2 days from Vancouver. Unfortunately the closest one left is in Terrace 6 hours away.

And I guess Jeep for making vehicles that can move when it snows on a Saturday when they won't pay overtime, or after the 15th when the snow removal budget runs out.
My 2 cents regarding clothing(being 2-3XL myself). Finding footwear is close to impossible(size 12 and above). There are 1 outdoors store in my entire area that sells in those sizes and even then usually you gotta call 'em before hand or those might end up out of stock

My 2 cents regarding clothing(being 2-3XL myself). Finding footwear is close to impossible(size 12 and above). There are 1 store in my entire area that sells in those sizes and even then usually you gotta call 'em before hand or those might end up out of stock...
Not a huge fan of ordering footwear online since for some who knows why reason every manufacturer has slightly different sizes(also it's a bit hard to tell how wide boots are from just pictures)...

Brand Loyalty is a mystifying concept in this age.  When consumer brands began, they had a person's name on it - implying a relationship.  Then we went to evocative names like Tide, Mountain Dew, Starbuck's, and eventually nonsense names like Google, Prozak and Zillow.

I don't think that I have even heard this term in normal use since the 90s or 80s.

Maybe New Coke killed it.  Cross promotion certainly did, as well as rampant corporate product expansion.

1 minute ago, Michael Hardner said:

Brand Loyalty is a mystifying concept in this age.  When consumer brands began, they had a person's name on it - implying a relationship.  Then we went to evocative names like Tide, Mountain Dew, Starbuck's, and eventually nonsense names like Google, Prozak and Zillow.

I don't think that I have even heard this term in normal use since the 90s or 80s.

Maybe New Coke killed it.  Cross promotion certainly did, as well as rampant corporate product expansion.

I also feel like a few decades ago it was about product first, brand after. Now it's buzz from all around about brands but products are extremely similar(especially when it comes to clothing).

15 minutes ago, Kornak said:

I also feel like a few decades ago it was about product first, brand after. Now it's buzz from all around about brands but products are extremely similar(especially when it comes to clothing).

An example of why "Brand Loyalty" makes no sense: Peak Freans used to be known as a quality British-style biscuit.  Then Loblaws told them they had to lower their prices or they wouldn't be stocked at the store.  The only way to do that was to cut quality, which they did.  Similar stories for Beck's beer and other brands...

Brand Loyalty is therefore akin to "belief" rather than "knowledge".  

3 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I don't think there's anything mystifying about it.  It's an implied social contract.  

2 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Brand Loyalty is therefore akin to "belief" rather than "knowledge".  

Brand Loyalty is based on past experience. You build brand loyalty by consistently delivering the experience you're promising.  Sometimes that experience is getting high-quality and consistent product/service.  Sometimes that's getting satisfactory and defect-free product/service for good value, and sometimes it's based on nothing more than slick marketing.  Either way, the company is delivering something.  

I go to the Keg to eat sometimes, not because I think it's the greatest restaurant in town, but because I know I can go in and get a decent prime rib for a not-absurd price without having to cook it myself.  On another day I might try a different restaurant, but if I don't feel like messing around then I go for the comfy, easy choice.  

Edited by Moonbox

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

1.  It's an implied social contract.  

2. Either way, the company is delivering something.  

3. I go to the Keg to eat sometimes, not because I think it's the greatest restaurant in town, but because I know I can go in and get a decent prime rib for a not-absurd price without having to cook it myself.  On another day I might try a different restaurant, but if I don't feel like messing around then I go for the comfy, easy choice.  

1. It's mystifying because it's so outdated as a social contract.  Like asking the father for the bride's hand in marriage sort of..
2. Ok - well yes then... I will blur the wording to call this "reputation".  IOW if Mercedes delivers garbage they suffer reputational damage.  "Brand Loyalty" to me says I trust a brand's products beyond pramatic/rational axes.
3. If The Keg rolled out Pad Thai would you order it and bite into it with your eyes closed ?  Ridiculous question I admit but more towards the point of what I assumed "loyalty" meant.

Your post was edifying thanks.

7 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. It's mystifying because it's so outdated as a social contract.  Like asking the father for the bride's hand in marriage sort of..

I really don't understand that analogy.  These are trade relationships.  You tend to trade with partners who consistently do right by you and don't (more importantly) don't disappoint you. 

"Brand Loyalty" to me says I trust a brand's products beyond pramatic/rational axes.

Why?  You're not wrong that this can and does happen, but then you're ignoring all of the instances where people trust a brand's products/services because they consistently deliver what they're looking for.  

3. If The Keg rolled out Pad Thai would you order it and bite into it with your eyes closed ?  Ridiculous question I admit but more towards the point of what I assumed "loyalty" meant.

I would probably avoid it, and wonder why they're promoting Pad-Thai like every other chain-Pub in town.  It has nothing to do with their brand.  I would also probably avoid a period-drama made by Marvel for similar reasons.  I'd be "mystified' why a studio specializing in high-quality CGI and 3-hour explosion fights would branch out like this, and conclude their brand means nothing in that space.   

I think you're mixing brand loyalty with blind loyalty.  They're not mutually exclusive, but definitely not the same thing.  ? 

1 minute ago, Moonbox said:

1.  You tend to trade with partners who consistently do right by you and don't (more importantly) don't disappoint you. 

2. People trust a brand's products/services because they consistently deliver what they're looking for.  

3. I would probably avoid it,

4. It has nothing to do with their brand.   

5. I think you're mixing brand loyalty with blind loyalty.  They're not mutually exclusive, but definitely not the same thing.  ? 

1. Exactly.  And as a general trend, any corporation will sell out its customers for a price.  Tim Horton's is the prime example.  I just think "Loyalty" is a strong word when brands continually sell their mothers for a chance at $.

Example:

1*Bn9n51Zdz12L-gYx_LtCZA.jpeg

2. We're just quibbling over meaning here.  "Trust" - sure but how much.  I love Colgate Toothpaste and Lasagna.  Do I try this product ?

3. Exactly.

4. I say it does - you didn't "trust" the Keg to deliver the taste of Thailand ...

5. Maybe yes.  But as I say we're quibbling...