The Folly of Ignoring Climate Change

6 minutes ago, ironstone said:

So, was this person wrong? This is AOC! She is a full-time social media influencer which makes her a celebrity. She is also a member of congress but that's really just part time gig for her. She could be considered the face of the modern Democratic party and could very well be a future presidential candidate. She is not a climate scientist to the best of my knowledge but of course she has a right to express her opinion.

Is she stating fact? Fearmongering? She was very specific in her claim.

Did you read the report which she derived that comment from? If you didn’t read it, how do you know whether she’s right or wrong?

Here it is:

https://www.ipcc.ch/report/ar6/wg2/

19 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Well, you are against immigration I'm guessing.  That would help... zero growth and that...

That's a strange part of the debate. One side is not against immigration, but mass illegal immigration is a different thing. The other side wants mass immigration from other cultures that typically have very high birth rates. So, there will be way more people in developed nations which presumably will grow the carbon footprint in those nations.?

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ironstone said:

So, was this person wrong? This is AOC! She is a full-time social media influencer which makes her a celebrity. She is also a member of congress but that's really just part time gig for her. She could be considered the face of the modern Democratic party and could very well be a future presidential candidate. She is not a climate scientist to the best of my knowledge but of course she has a right to express her opinion.

Is she stating fact? Fearmongering? She was very specific in her claim.

Answer MY QUESTION FIRST:

Do you understand what will happen if the ocean current conveyor belt shuts down?

On 9/28/2022 at 11:27 AM, Rebound said:

Hey stupid, it doesn’t matter whether the climate is changing or not.  Alternative energy is the future, and America is going to fall behind the technology of other nations if we don’t invest now.  

Yes, if only America had the wisdom of Germany they too would be basking in the same benefits of full-bore pursuit of renewable energy the Germans now anticipate this winter.

On 9/28/2022 at 11:34 AM, Rebound said:

Precisely so. 
Petroleum is a dinosaur. We won’t be using it in fifty years. So is America going to be dependent on China for energy or will other nations become dependent upon America? That’s the only question. 

No known renewable energy source is transportable across oceans. So your question is irrelevant.

On 9/28/2022 at 1:00 PM, robosmith said:

IF you KNOW the "elephant in the room," why not spell it out instead of posting cryptic nonsense?

One of those elephants is the fact that a strong industrialized economy relies on cheap, reliable energy.

Right now we're trading that advantage to places like China and Russia, who are using their growing richest to arm and attack us.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/gwyn-morgan-net-zero-has-been-a-boon-to-dictators

19 hours ago, Rebound said:

Ok, so I looked it up and they do use REM’s in these turbines. They also use a lot of copper, which we mine in Indiana. China has REM’s because they invested in developing their refining. The US can find supplies as well. 

Mining REMs is extremely bad for the environment. China doesn't worry about that, of course. But doing it in the US or Canada would be much more expensive due to all the measures which would have to be undertaken to minimize pollution.

4 minutes ago, I am Groot said:

One of those elephants is the fact that a strong industrialized economy relies on cheap, reliable energy.

Right now we're trading that advantage to places like China and Russia, who are using their growing richest to arm and attack us.

https://nationalpost.com/opinion/gwyn-morgan-net-zero-has-been-a-boon-to-dictators

We STILL have more fossil fuels that China or Russia. It would be advantageous to keep it for necessities instead of using it for things that can use renewables.

6 minutes ago, robosmith said:

You mean sailing SHIPS no longer work? Stop the presses!

A list of modern sailing yachts

Is it your contention that a sailing ship can somehow transport energy across to Europe? We're not speaking about means of propulsion here, you know. The question is on exporting energy.

5 minutes ago, robosmith said:

We STILL have more fossil fuels that China or Russia. It would be advantageous to keep it for necessities instead of using it for things that can use renewables.

It would be wiser to sell it when the prices are very high, especially if you want people to shift from coal to nat gas, which is far less of a pollutant. Not to mention it would be quite helpful in saving Europe from Russian energy blackmail.

We could use some of the profits to build some of those small nuclear plants and thus help convert our power grid away from fossil fuels.

7 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

It doesn't matter what doomsayers say, it matters what scientists say.  There was no accepted prediction of a coming ice age in the 70s... that's a falsehood and it cancels your arguments.

Now they're "doomsday sayers" but in the '70s they were "scientists".

What you call "accepted" today is not as widely accepted as people like Obama and Kerry would have you think: https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2016/12/14/fact-checking-the-97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/?sh=62c90d9c1157

Actual scientists with actual degrees who obviously have far more knowledge of these matters than you or I will ever possess actually do have differing opinions ?:

https://electroverse.net/the-list-scientists-who-publicly-disagree-with-the-current-consensus-on-climate-change/

"Science" [when the word science is personified like this, it's fascist for "leftist demagogues demand that you STFU and listen you worthless god-damned peon!"] dictates (literally) that no one speaks out in opposition to the orthodoxy.

Sure, we've come a long way since 1633 when Galileo was sentenced to a life of confinement for offering up a dissenting opinion which amounted to 'heresy'. Here we are 389 yrs later and scientists can speak freely and walk around freely if they disagree, they just lose their careers. Oh joy!

SPEAKING OUT

A system is in place that makes it incredibly difficult, almost impossible, for scientists to take a public stance against AGW — their funding and opportunities are shutoff, their credibility and character smeared, and their safety sometimes compromised.

Example: In 2014, Lennart Bengtsson and his colleagues submitted a paper to Environmental Research Letters which was rejected for publication for what Bengtsson believed to be “activist” reasons. 

Bengtsson’s paper disputed the uncertainties surrounding climate sensitivity to increased greenhouse gas concentrations contained in the IPCC’s Fourth and Fifth Assessment Reports.

Here is a passage from Bengtsson’s resignation letter from soon after:

I have been put under such an enormous group pressure in recent days from all over the world that has become virtually unbearable to me. If this is going to continue I will be unable to conduct my normal work and will even start to worry about my health and safety. I see therefore no other way out therefore than resigning from GWPF. I had not expecting such an enormous world-wide pressure put at me from a community that I have been close to all my active life. Colleagues are withdrawing their support, other colleagues are withdrawing from joint authorship etc.

I see no limit and end to what will happen. It is a situation that reminds me about the time of McCarthy. I would never have expecting anything similar in such an original peaceful community as meteorology. Apparently it has been transformed in recent years.

Lennart Bengtsson

SCIENTISTS ARGUING THAT GLOBAL WARMING IS PRIMARILY CAUSED BY NATURAL PROCESSES

— scientists that have called the observed warming attributable to natural causes, i.e. the high solar activity witnessed over the last few decades.

SCIENTISTS PUBLICLY QUESTIONING THE ACCURACY OF IPCC CLIMATE MODELS

SCIENTISTS ARGUING THAT THE CAUSE OF GLOBAL WARMING IS UNKNOWN

SCIENTISTS ARGUING THAT GLOBAL WARMING WILL HAVE FEW NEGATIVE CONSEQUENCES

DECEASED SCIENTISTS

— who published material indicating their opposition to the mainstream scientific assessment of global warming prior to their deaths. 

5 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

Now they're "doomsday sayers" but in the '70s they were "scientists".

What you call "accepted" today is not as widely accepted as people like Obama and Kerry would have you think: https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2016/12/14/fact-checking-the-97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/?sh=62c90d9c1157

Actual scientists with actual degrees who obviously have far more knowledge of these matters than you or I will ever possess actually do have differing opinions ?:

https://electroverse.net/the-list-scientists-who-publicly-disagree-with-the-current-consensus-on-climate-change/

"Science" [when the word science is personified like this, it's fascist for "leftist demagogues demand that you STFU and listen you worthless god-damned peon!"] dictates (literally) that no one speaks out in opposition to the orthodoxy.

Sure, we've come a long way since 1633 when Galileo was sentenced to a life of confinement for offering up a dissenting opinion which amounted to 'heresy'. Here we are 389 yrs later and scientists can speak freely and walk around freely if they disagree, they just lose their careers. Oh joy!

That's a really SHORT list compared to ALL THE REST who form the CONSENSUS.

17 hours ago, Aristides said:

China is already the world leader in solar energy.

I love it when Greenies here say "Canada can replace the money from the fossil fuel industry by leading the technological charge towards green energy ?".

Even if we did lead in technology, China will steal our patents and build whatever the F they want anyways, and we will never be able to compete. 

The people who stand to gain the most from killing the Alberta energy sector are small-time players like oil producers in Saudi Arabia, Russia, the US, Iraq, and Iran, plus the Chinese who want our coal, and the Chinese and others who want us to buy their expensive and nearly useless green tech.

I'm sure that Trudeau will stand his ground, and ignore all of those low-powered lobbyists. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robosmith said:

That's a list of people with university degrees in this matter, and who the f are you, exactly?

Lobbyist dollars buy a shload scientific opinions, and you know exactly where the "research money" is going - to people who research "the right stuff". 

Right now, "researchers" say that oil and coal in the US and Canada are bad, but oil and coal from the rest of the world is good. 

Dirty Canadian oil can't go out through our pristine coastal tidewaters because it's not safe, but clean foreign oil is perfectly safe to bring in. Thank you Greenies! [straight face]

Also, Alberta coal can't be burned at coal-fired power plants in Alberta because it does too much damage to the environment. It has to be shipped all the way to China to be burned. Thank you Greenies! [straight face]

4 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

I love it when Greenies here say "Canada can replace the money from the fossil fuel industry by leading the technological charge towards green energy ?".

Even if we did lead in technology, China will steal our patents and build whatever the F they want anyways, and we will never be able to compete. 

The people who stand to gain the most from killing the Alberta energy sector are small-time players like oil producers in Saudi Arabia, Russia, the US, Iraq, and Iran, plus the Chinese who want our coal, and the Chinese and others who want us to buy their expensive and nearly useless green tech.

I'm sure that Trudeau will stand his ground, and ignore all of those low-powered lobbyists. 

You do know that there are mechanisms in the WTO that can block sales of patent infringing products, don't you?

Part II — Standards concerning the availability, scope and use of Intellectual Property Rights

The folly of ignoring people's energy needs is creating a mess in Europe and will make it barely livable in some areas. Europeans, who pushed for renewable energy and abandon nuclear can't rely on their renewables to get heating for this winter, and to be fair, the climate change or global warming push comes as being exaggerated most of the times, many predictions went flat out wrong such as ice caps in Arctic melting completely for the year 2013. In fact, that year, the icecap grew by a third after a cool 2013 summer according to the BBC.

https://www.bbc.com/news/science-environment-33594654

It is also highly political, like COVID.

Some politicians, like AOC, really manipulate the anxious masses with sentences such as the world is going to end in 12 years if we don't address climate change.

"The world is gonna end in 12 years if we don't address climate change and your biggest issue is how are we gonna pay for it?" https://reason.com/2019/01/22/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-calls-climate-c/

All in all, I think the problem is mostly the fear of global climate change, and not global climate change, that is the biggest problem. Like COVID was a bigger problem than it was because people feared COVID a lot, and before that they feared terrorism, and before that they feared communism, etc.

2 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

That's a list of people with university degrees in this matter, and who the f are you, exactly?

Someone who can read and understand the science published by the CONSENSUS.

Lobbyist dollars buy a shload scientific opinions, and you know exactly where the "research money" is going - to people who research "the right stuff". 

So do fossil fuel industry dollars. I'm sure many of those on your list get those.

Right now, "researchers" say that oil and coal in the US and Canada are bad, but oil and coal from the rest of the world is good. 

Tar sands oil from Canada is especially bad for the environment due to the amount of energy it takes to refine it.

Dirty Canadian oil can't go out through our pristine coastal tidewaters because it's not safe, but clean foreign oil is perfectly safe to bring in. Thank you Greenies! [straight face]

Do you really not understand that different oil has very different problems?

Also, Alberta coal can't be burned at coal-fired power plants in Alberta because it does too much damage to the environment. It has to be shipped all the way to China to be burned. Thank you Greenies! [straight face]

How do you propose to get China to be responsible producers of power?

11 minutes ago, robosmith said:

Even assuming they're CLIMATE scientists who publish.  Not people with a degree in Science (or even in the Arts), weathermen, or others who call themselves climate scientists and never publish.

17 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

1. Now they're "doomsday sayers" but in the '70s they were "scientists".

2. What you call "accepted" today is not as widely accepted as people like Obama and Kerry would have you think: https://www.forbes.com/sites/uhenergy/2016/12/14/fact-checking-the-97-consensus-on-anthropogenic-climate-change/?sh=62c90d9c1157

1. No, they weren't.  There was no published science that was supported by more than a handful saying we were headed to an ice age or somesuch.

2. I was surprised that the article, while challenging the 97% figure (which I have looked into myself) corrected it by saying that papers she included didn't accept OR reject.  So then THIS from your very link:

Even though belief is clearly below 97%, support over 80% is strong consensus. Would a lower level of consensus convince anyone concerned about anthropogenic global warming to abandon their views and advocate unrestricted burning of fossil fuels? I think not. Even the 2016 Cook paper says “From a broader perspective, it doesn’t matter if the consensus number is 90% or 100%.”

So ... they are saying STRONG consensus...