A report claims overdose death up 41% in Portland Oregon since hard drugs decriminalized.

After decriminalizing hard drugs Portland becomes an open air market for drugs | The Jim Bakker Show

If this is true, what is the future beginning in January 2023 going to look like in B.C.   Did the federal liberals and their NDP cohorts look at this situation in Portland before decriminalizing drugs in B.C.?

I am not a regular follower of the Jim Bakker Show but came across this article while searching for something for someone else.

Important Takeaways:

• Portland resembles an ‘open air drug market’ after decriminalizing hard drugs: Overdose deaths skyrocket by 41% in the Democrat-led city as homeless addicts collapse on sidewalks
  • Law enforcement agents say that the streets of Portland are full of homeless addicts openly buying and selling drugs
  • Photos show the desperate situation in the Pacific Northwest city, where people can be seen shooting up drugs or passed out in broad daylight
  • The dreadful scene comes 16 months after Ballot Measure 110 went into effect in February 2021
  • Oregon was the first state in the United States to decriminalize possession of personal-use amounts of heroin, methamphetamine, LSD, oxycodone
  • But since the measure was passed overdose deaths in the state hit an all-time high in 2021 with 1069, a 41 percent increase from 2020                    Unquote
Edited by blackbird

Here's a discussion of how this ballot initiative fell short.  There's supposed to be treatment support, which hasn't come through.

I am interested in whether this change will have any effect at all.

https://www.opb.org/article/2022/05/24/oregons-measure-110-is-falling-short-according-to-some-advocates-for-addiction-recovery/

It's what happens when you do something half assed instead of an all encompassing strategy like Portugal where they jail dealers and require mandatory treatment for addicts but without any criminal charges.  No doubt our SC would rule mandatory treatment is a Charter violation, so we won't see much change.

• Like 1

On 6/19/2022 at 11:17 AM, Aristides said:

It's what happens when you do something half assed instead of an all encompassing strategy like Portugal where they jail dealers and require mandatory treatment for addicts but without any criminal charges.  No doubt our SC would rule mandatory treatment is a Charter violation, so we won't see much change.

We do jail dealers, but our justice system sentencing might be the problem. and Canadians don't like mandatory sentencing to act as a deterrent...Maybe it is Canadians that are the problem educate them firsthand about what drugs do to our country, our people, and our kids let them see just how dirty, that entire business is and how much it costs in lives and money. 

9 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

We do jail dealers, but our justice system sentencing might be the problem. and Canadians don't like mandatory sentencing to act as a deterrent...Maybe it is Canadians that are the problem educate them firsthand about what drugs do to our country, our people, and our kids let them see just how dirty, that entire business is and how much it costs in lives and money. 

Dealers laugh at our system. It takes police months if not years to make a case that Crown will take to court and more years before it even gets to court. Meanwhile that dealer is doing business as usual for around five years before he might have to suffer any consequences. If of course he doesn't get bumped off by another dealer before it gets to court.

Edited by Aristides

35 minutes ago, Aristides said:

Dealers laugh at our system. It takes police months if not years to make a case that Crown will take to court and more years before it even gets to court. Meanwhile that dealer is doing business as usual for around five years before he might have to suffer any consequences. If of course he doesn't get bumped off by another dealer before it gets to court.

Everyone laughs at our system, and yet it is another topic we can't discuss.  

9 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Everyone laughs at our system, and yet it is another topic we can't discuss.  

I laugh at those who think the problem with the system

is that the government doesn't crack down harder

on something that shouldn't be illegal

social conservatives deserve to take shit for that nonsense take

Edited by Yzermandius19

20 hours ago, Army Guy said:

Hit the nail on the head squarely with that one.

Since the legalization of Pot, I allow myself a pot in the yard every summer. Its good and its very much cheaper than the stores...although I have noticed the prices getting realistic in the stores of late. Anyway...one of my kids like to smoke as well. He prefers his vape thing...which makes me hack and choke like crazy...but did mention that he "could" make a few bucks, if he simply sold a bit of it. This shot right through me. I know what dogs drug dealers are, and I have no intention of allowing my spawn to associate with that element, if I can stop it. So...I told him he could not have anymore, but if he happened to have company over for a beer on the deck, he can help himself. "But NEVER let me catch you accepting money for a bud! EVER!" The lad ain' dopey so...as far as I know...he never has.

There is a societal "cost" to this legalization. We must be rational enough to admit that. Pot heads don't start bar brawls...but they do become complacent and a tad lazy. Legalizing things like meth or opioids is...well its just bat-shit crazy. The results speak for themselves. What sort of warped mind could actually think allowing the open use of hard drugs, could actually be a benefit to society or culture. It's fucking corrosive as hell!

Again...one must stand back in awe...of the sheer stupidity of the left.

Edited by Nationalist

33 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Again...one must stand back in awe...of the sheer stupidity of the left.

I stand back in awe of the stupidity of the left on guns

I stand back in awe of the stupidity of the right on drugs

you are just using the left's idiotic anti-gun arguments against drugs

and somehow don't see your own hypocrisy

the same way the left uses the right's idiotic anti-drug arguments against guns

and somehow can't see their own hypocrisy

Edited by Yzermandius19

16 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

I stand back in awe of the stupidity of the left on guns

I stand back in awe of the stupidity of the right on drugs

you are just using the left's idiotic anti-gun arguments against drugs

and somehow don't see your own hypocrisy

the same way the left uses the right's idiotic anti-drug arguments against guns

and somehow can't see their own hypocrisy

How so?

My position on Guns is, enforce the laws on the books. Same with these hard drugs. We see what happens when a state changes the laws. Its not pretty.

10 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

How so?

My position on Guns is, enforce the laws on the books. Same with these hard drugs. We see what happens when a state changes the laws. Its not pretty.

the laws on the books suck

changing the laws that suck

is a good thing

at least you are consistent in that you buy into the shitty anti-gun and anti-drug law arguments

but that makes you twice as wrong

Edited by Yzermandius19

22 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

How so?

The laws on the books for illicit drugs are a prohibition. That simply doesn't work. 

Also note that the prohibition on handguns, we have here, have made them an illicit product in that can bring in a tidy profit for those willing to smuggle it in. Sound familiar? 

Edited by Boges
  • Like 1

26 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

the laws on the books suck

changing the laws that suck

is a good thing

at least you are consistent in that you buy into the shitty anti-gun and anti-drug law arguments

but that makes you twice as wrong

You will never be able to convince rational people that sticking Heroin in your arm, is a good thing.!

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Yes!

Alcohol isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for drinking it?

Tobacco isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for smoking it?

Fast Food isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for eating it?

should the people who sell these things be put in prison for it?

if yes, why?

if no, why not?

Edited by Yzermandius19

16 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Alcohol isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for drinking it?

Tobacco isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for smoking it?

Fast Food isn't good for you

should you be put in prison for eating it?

should the people who sell these things be put in prison for it?

if yes, why?

if no, why not?

Lol...you wanna be a crack head? Go ahead. Don't get caught though.