Inflation is good!

myata

23 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Once we develop cold-fusion and replace cars with transporter-beam technology, the sky’s the limit.

There is a limit and it is called land surface.  Keep killing the land paving it and no matter what energy you use, you will be screwed.

• Like 1

Cougar is right about over population.

The problem is the only way to mitigate climate change and over population is for humanity to make incredible sacrifices. I am afraid to say I don’t think democracy can bring that about. It is a problem that requires everyone to undertake the same sacrifices. People are not stupid, but we mostly lack the knowledge to make the choices. We are scientifically illiterate. We lack faith in science. Democracy gives everyone who doesn’t know, the power over people who do know.

when I was born, we had a form of one world government. The sun never set on the British Empire, but it was unsustainable. The best way to overcome this, if we can, is a global overhaul of education. No one should leave school without a thorough grounding in mathematics, chemistry, physics biology and geography. It will be a massive investment and time is critical. A scientifically literate population tends to have fewer children and is better able to make informed decisions.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Not if we sail to Mars. There is a world to conquer. 

Surely, technology will save us!

:ph34r:

Conquer?  It is other galaxies out there with completely different environments.  All of them uninhabitable by humans to this point.

You might want to preserve what we have here for a wee bit longer.

• Like 1

On 10/21/2021 at 2:35 PM, TreeBeard said:

With the hit to the economy from COVID and the subsequent recovery, how would a government stop inflation?

The cost of oil and gas has gone up dramatically which in turn drives up the cost of all the goods transported by the use of oil and gas. (Thanks to radical environmentalists, most of whom apparently have never had a real job.)

At one time Canada actually had a healthy oil and gas industry. How great it would be if we had a Prime Minister that would put real effort into more exploration and the means to getting this valuable resource to market?

Not gonna happen.

It would also help if our idiot Prime Minister started to actually think about monetary policy for the first time in his life.

50 minutes ago, ironstone said:

It would also help if our idiot Prime Minister started to actually think about monetary policy for the first time in his life.

He is actually trying to keep you alive and protect you from your own stupidity.

Personally I don't mind guys with your vision exiting this planet as quickly as you want by the acts of your own hands and brains.

The problem is , you won't go, before all of us go down with you.

33 minutes ago, cougar said:

He is actually trying to keep you alive and protect you from your own stupidity.

Personally I don't mind guys with your vision exiting this planet as quickly as you want by the acts of your own hands and brains.

The problem is , you won't go, before all of us go down with you.

We have had this discussion before and it was established that you, like the rest of us do enjoy and use modern devices made thanks to resource extraction and manufacturing. You have probably ridden in cars, buses, planes, trains etc that are powered by oil and gas energy. You likely are surrounded by objects that are again made thanks to resource extraction and the manufacturing process. 

You will not give up any of this while you castigate others for making use of these modern conveniences. If you want to walk the walk and live in a bloody cave nothing is stopping you. 

What are you using right now to communicate on here? Laptop? PC? Iphone? You do have access to electricity don't you?

5 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

The problem is the only way to mitigate climate change and over population is for humanity to make incredible sacrifices. I am afraid to say I don’t think democracy can bring that about. It is a problem that requires everyone to undertake the same sacrifices. People are not stupid, but we mostly lack the knowledge to make the choices. We are scientifically illiterate. We lack faith in science. Democracy gives everyone who doesn’t know, the power over people who do know.

when I was born, we had a form of one world government. The sun never set on the British Empire, but it was unsustainable. The best way to overcome this, if we can, is a global overhaul of education. No one should leave school without a thorough grounding in mathematics, chemistry, physics biology and geography. It will be a massive investment and time is critical. A scientifically literate population tends to have fewer children and is better able to make informed decisions.

I would like to see the world population growth stabilize but since the woke left discovered that men can now give birth the numbers are really going to skyrocket.

The above subjects you mentioned are indeed important but at the end of the day it matters who is doing the teaching. Woke math and woke biology are not the same as regular math or biology.

1 hour ago, ironstone said:

At one time Canada actually had a healthy oil and gas industry. How great it would be if we had a Prime Minister that would put real effort into more exploration and the means to getting this valuable resource to market?

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for ensuring there are still viable oil reserves for future generations? Less oil =much higher prices for the thousands of products and chemicals derived from petroleum.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The above subjects you mentioned are indeed important but at the end of the day it matters who is doing the teaching. Woke math and woke biology are not the same as regular math or biology.

How do you politicize mathematics, biology, physics or chemistry?

What are you using right now to communicate on here? Laptop? PC? Iphone? You do have access to electricity don't you?

You are missing the point completely, again.  Not surprisingly so.

What can I say, carry on and pray someone looks after you, despite you pulling in the wrong direction.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for ensuring there are still viable oil reserves for future generations? Less oil =much higher prices for the thousands of products and chemicals derived from petroleum.

Are we saying that we have a shortage of world oil and gas reserves, ? we are experiencing shortages becasue OPEC are not pumping out enough and its inflating prices... As for Canada we are content giving our oil away for pennies on the dollar because we are all genius in resource management.  

9 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

more than half are stupid and the other half don't care, i mean case in point how did we go from male female genders to infinity you can be a fire truck , jet,  a police car what ever you want to be, and apparently science can't argue with that statement. It's now it is entrenched in our laws... How stupid is that, and we let it all happen. 

As for education today the only people that can fail or hold back a student is the parent, the teachers don't hold anyone back they are afraid they will upset someone, everyone gets a trophy, and we all pass the class... i can't say this is true in university or collage , but why would they change course just at that level ?

5 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Oil and coal are finite resources. When they are exhausted, we will no longer be able to operate machinery or make steel.

Ya in maybe a thousand years from now, and by then i hope we have the smarts to move on to the next do all resource maybe like Delithium crystals. Me and you, our grand kids their grand kids and generations after them will have plenty of oil and coal. 

Maybe coal will stretch to 1000 years but accessible oil will likely be exhausted in just 200-250 years. We need to do all we can to stretch it out as long as possible. You can’t lubricate a  generator with toonies. 
people are not stupid (well excepting me and a few others). But I am smart enough to listen to people who know what they are talking about. People are not stupid. They lack information.

As for gender reassignment or cross dressing, don’t judge someone until you have walked 1.6 km in their heels.

• Haha 1

Actually according to Worldmeters we have 47 years left of proven reserves.  But the rate of consumption will no doubt increase every year so I would guess 40 ish years or so.  

Anyway, my guess is the u.s. plan is to consume the middle east reserves and then decide that Venezuela needs some democracy  ?

After that idk, maybe we can formulate some type of artificial oil or something.  

9 hours ago, Army Guy said:

As for Canada we are content giving our oil away for pennies on the dollar because we are all genius in resource management.  

There are other, stronger reasons. The status quo of inefficient and massively expensive public bureaucracy and monopolistic traditional private economy stifling innovation and competition all converge to the need for a massive inflow of cash. And short of magic and near-magical developments in technology there are exactly two such sources: borrowing that is, in a public setting, taking money from future generations of taxpayers; and selling the country, its resources and contents. And because smarts, innovation, ingenuity see above, volumes will have to make do for selling cheap. Anything different would require way more thinking, creativity and agility than shoveling money where it swims so thick that can be taken by a bucket.

Edited by myata

15 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Maybe coal will stretch to 1000 years but accessible oil will likely be exhausted in just 200-250 years. We need to do all we can to stretch it out as long as possible. You can’t lubricate a  generator with toonies. 
people are not stupid (well excepting me and a few others). But I am smart enough to listen to people who know what they are talking about. People are not stupid. They lack information.

As for gender reassignment or cross dressing, don’t judge someone until you have walked 1.6 km in their heels.

Just 10 years ago the world was going through a massive scare that oil was running out and in 10 years there would not be enough for future generations, and yet here we are 10 years later, still pumping out oil like it was going out of style...

And your right can't lubricate generators with toonies, but there are plant based oils that could be substituted, and i'm hoping by the time we do actual know how much oil and gas are in the ground, the smart people would have discovered replacements for fossil fuels and al the oils and lubricants we have now...

As for people being stupid how do you explain the infinite number of genders using science, and medical facts.. or the gun control issue or abortion issue or you name it, climate change, How does one topic not pass the science or facts test and still become law in this nation...there are a lot of stupid people out there, maybe not stupid but what do you call  a person that is to lazy or just does not want to change their minds. I person call them idiots but i was being nice stupid sounded much better.

This has nothing to with walking in heels , you go sister be what ever you want to be,  i have no issue with anyone wanting to be another sex, be it through surgery or just wanting to live as the opposite sex, but when it comes down to science if you have junk down stairs your a man, you can be a gay man but your still a man, and vice versa with women.  but don't try to sell me that there are an infinite amount of genders which anyone one person could be or decide to change on a whim depending on how they feel... You can be what ever you want to pretend to be. just don't get me involved in any way.. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

I forgot to say 1000 years amounts to 0.5% of the time modern humans have been on the earth.

So all humans are idiots and we don't give a rats ass what we consume and how fast we do it.  even the climate change experts are jetting around the world in airplanes, cars busses taxi's still use massive amounts of electrical power to power up all their devices, etc...fossil fuels have only been around what 200 years at most, before that we slaughter entire populations of whales for their oil, and in the next 200 years we will be on to the next resource, like star track and their Delithium crystals.  

Here i found this article interesting they have developed a way to recycle plastic waste, turning into 3 separate products turning it into more plastics, separating the chemicals that make up plastic and separating the hydrocarbons and making fuel...and we already know we have a huge surplus of plastics...we just need the government to turn this process into reality...

Aduro Clean Technologies - Promoting sustainability and the circular economy with game-changing new processes - Value the Markets