Inflation is good!

myata

I still say the best option for energy is nuclear, using uranium until, or if, thorium becomes viable. Since western Canada is the Saudi Arabia of uranium, it means full long term employment with the manufacturing of reactors in the east and rail reconstruction in BC’s lower mainland, Winnipeg, Windsor-Oshawa, and Quebec. Small modular reactors designed (CANDU) for use in smaller communities can be a complement for larger CANDU’s in major cities and along the rail lines. High speed trans-oceanic nuclear powered ships will take the jet setters out of aircraft. The price of your F150 Lightning will drop as well. At the risk of repeating myself too many times, with all the export potential, it is a license to print money. Just because I live in Saskatchewan doesn’t mean I’m biased. ?

Plant based oils for lubricants are uneconomical and will crowd out food production. Then there are the 10 thousand plus products we get from petroleum. 
To quote Paul Newman’ s character, Butch Cassidy, “I’ve got vision and the rest of the world wears bifocals. 

20 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Ironstone, I can’t speak for Cougar, but I’m using hydro electric. I would prefer nuclear but it is on it’s way. 

I agree with you. I also would like to see more nuclear power in Canada but it seems unlikely given the amount of influence of radical environmentalist groups.

22 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Just out of curiosity, what is your plan for ensuring there are still viable oil reserves for future generations? Less oil =much higher prices for the thousands of products and chemicals derived from petroleum.

I wish I did have the answer to that question. I try and do my small part in conserving energy in that I keep my high efficiency furnace turned low most of the winter. I drive a compact car and have spent many thousands of dollars in upgrades to my home in order to use less energy. 

On a global scale China is the biggest contributor to emissions . They are building coal fired plants at an astonishing rate but are not held to the same standards as the democratic developed nations.

There seem to be plenty of untapped oil reserves worldwide but who knows what the demand will be like in the future? My concern is the rush to end the use of oil and gas too soon without a reliable alternative. There will be major issues with electric cars as well because when or if electric becomes mainstream the environmentalists will of course have a new target to shoot for. I also think it's foolish to let dictatorships like Saudi Arabia and Russia control the oil and gas market.

$400K plus allowances and benefits PM, with 33K median income in the country, calling to reduce inequality in (guess!) Netherlands (CBC, 29.10.2021). A snapshot. And an epitome of what official Canada has become and grown into.

No can't sleep two centuries and not expect any surprises. Or maybe it was no surprise in the 19th century either?

Edited by myata

• 2 weeks later...

This case (UK: lobbying scandal) illustrates very clearly everything that is wrong with the entrenched party-corporation duopoly system. It creates an environment of elitism, isolation, privilege and entitlement and continuous pressure to promote it beyond any reasonable and realistic boundaries. What, you're living on your $186K public salary omg l-word. And surely there's a strong labor shortage in $100K part time consultant positions for large companies, come on Joe we're excited to have your application!

Wait, if these folk can be so efficient to run multiple part-time businesses along with critical (rubber stumping) public work maybe (Eureka moment!) the whole thing can be turned around like in non Euclidean geometry? And MP position itself made part-time with no break from the occupation and importantly, the community? Just a thought.

The very nature of the system is such that the direction in which it will evolve is quite certain. If it's $200K now it will be three hundred soon, assured. If it's six median wages in today's reality of the country, it will ten at some point and why not? No this isn't going to work and still remain a democracy only a mathematical fact.

Are you wanting to close the wealth gap by making everybody rich or everybody poor? You believe politicians have it good, so why don't you run? It is like people who whine about bank profits but don't buy stock it the bank. It is complaining for the sake of complaining.

Edited by Queenmandy85

7 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Are you wanting to close the wealth gap by making everybody rich or everybody poor? You believe politicians have it good, so why don't you run? It is like people who whine about bank profits but don't buy stock it the bank. It is complaining for the sake of complaining.

We've been to it so many times and I honestly can't get where misunderstanding is coming from. Not "everybody". Not anybody in fact, who earns their income in a free and voluntary market. Only those of us who can take what they want because they can entitle themselves to it through some process they invented for themselves. That story never worked and will not work again and again.

1 hour ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Since you clearly want to be rich, I don't recommend politics.

Whatever recommendation, it does not answer the question that was raised: some in this country can take what they want, as much as they want and not necessarily reasonable or realistic in the condition of the country out the public pocket, through the process that they create themselves and for themselves. This is a situation, environment and a story that did not, and as far as I understand, cannot have good outcomes.

10 minutes ago, Queenmandy85 said:

Why not? They are paid for a service. If you provide a service, you should be paid as much as you can get.

I was thinking rubber stumping was some process in Into-chinese horticulture.

No, you can't say that. A service in a free market is paid voluntarily and freely. No, one cannot call reaching into someone else's pocket and taking as much as they need "a service". In the common language there's another word for it. No I'm not paying anywhere near six median salaries in the country for this sort of "service" and no one asked me so no, it's not a service for me and little to do with me. Mostly between them and the pocket.

Sure, as far as I can see, roughly the same thing here.

2 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

MP's are paid by the Crown. I don't know who you think you are paying six median salaries .

That's a nice discovery. Now I wonder, and who fills its bottomless pockets? Must be another sort of sacred (under the blanket) mystery... medieval times were for famous for that.

Bobby and the cookie story (inspired by real events)

Take 1:

Mama: Bobby, where is the cookie?

Bobby: I ate it, Mama

M.: And have you done the ... built a world-class modern healthcare system with excellent stuff and services running effectively and efficiently for us?

B.: Not as yet Mama.. but I conducted 117 question periods and prepared 33 reports for you!

M: wtf Bobby!

Take 2:

M.: Bobby, where is the cookie?

B.: Mama, the cookie is actually the Crown's and she decides who it's given to and for what. But for you I conducted... (ditto).

M.: ditto @#$^%$!!

B.: Not to worry, Mama! And by the way, your tax bill is due.

1 hour ago, myata said:

That's a nice discovery. Now I wonder, and who fills its bottomless pockets? Must be another sort of sacred (under the blanket) mystery... medieval times were for famous for that.

Let's say, for analogy, you rent your home. You give the landlord $2000 a month, or $24,000 a year. The landlord spends $5000 to take her family skiing in Kimberley. Do you have any say in that? No.

The landlord hires a plumber to service the building. Do you have any right to say the plumber is paid too much?

Let's say you own a house. You pay taxes because your house is sitting on land owned by the Queen. You own the house, but you have a freehold lease on the land. While you have considerable input on how the Queen spends her money through your MP's in the House of Commons, it is still her money. She proposes how she would like it spent (the Budget) and Parliament has the final decision. (The Estimates.)

If this argument confuses you, you are not alone. I have trouble following it myself. Somehow I've contradicted myself.

There's nothing confusing here, you are saying that as citizens we don't own this country and have no rights other than allowed by some invented abstract entity for as long as it, that is, whoever is behind the invention, allow it. A well known ideology and political system since the times of pharaohs. Now you only need to voice it publicly, for everybody in the country to know and think about. And if the majority agrees I wouldn't object either. Just move.

It's been around for thousands of years. The Queen comes from a family that has ruled centuries before the Roman occupation. Canada has been a Monarchy since 1608. If it has thrived for that long, it has had to be very good.

But, your complaint seems to be about your MP. If you don't like her, replace her. If you can't find anyone better, run yourself. You say it is a great job. Put yourself forward. If you can fix a problem, fix it. If you can't, suck it up and move on and quit complaining.

I take that last bit back. I actually enjoy your posts. They are stimulating.

Edited by Queenmandy85

14 hours ago, Queenmandy85 said:

But, your complaint seems to be about your MP. If you don't like her, replace her. If you can't find anyone better, run yourself. You say it is a great job. Put yourself forward. If you can fix a problem, fix it. If you can't, suck it up and move on and quit complaining.

I take that last bit back. I actually enjoy your posts. They are stimulating.

Thanks. History can be a fascinated subject for some at least, but it does not mean that everything in it has a direct relation to effective and efficient operation of a modern responsible democracy that works for the interests of all citizens.

And no, if you don't agree with something and cannot change it it doesn't mean that you have to tie your eyes pinch your nose and make yourself participate. The time has moved and there are other options.