Ryerson University Changing Name

5 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

Sorry, I have no power to remove those.. I reported them, I recommend you do the same.

Whatever you say, Charlie.  The powers that be are allowing this forum to self destruct.  My only regret is that I won’t be able to see your face when Trump comes back.  
Edit:  ?

Edited by sharkman
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, sharkman said:

Whatever you say, Charlie.  The powers that be are allowing this forum to self destruct.  My only regret is that I won’t be able to see your face when Trump comes back.  

Dudes, no need to freak. Just carry on as if it was not there.

It could be the mods are busy tonight. Or on vacation... together

;)

8 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Sure. How about some pictures of the Sir John A statue coming down in Kingston? 

That should make you people feel better, about your native causes.

It's moving beyond a native cause to a human cause actually one that's directed more pointedly at our institutions rather than mere individuals like Sir John A. or Ryerson.  The request that the doctrine of discovery be rescinded takes direct aim at the institutional basis that authorized the colonization of Canada and of course the subjugation of indigenous people pretty much all over the entire world that was colonized by Europeans.  Its a request that could shake governments to their very foundations.  

It's no surprise that revolutions can often coalesce around a core sets of indigenous aspirations for the freedom to be self governing according to local values and traditions.  It's encouraging and telling that the request to rescind the discovery doctrine is coming from 1st Nation's legacy keepers - young people who've dedicated themselves to maintaining their people's desire for reconciliation alive and carrying their vision forward into the future.  This is exactly what a human institution is for, to preserve human values beyond a human's lifespan.

As for those who were hoping the Pope's visit might be some sort of beginning to the end of the 'native cause'...you probably haven't seen anything yet.  I suspect indigenous people and colonial governments around the world will be paying keen attention to the response from the Pope about the request that was asked of him.  I think the 'cause' is probably going to go global now, I certainly hope so.  It's certainly opened a new refreshing chapter here in Canada.

45 minutes ago, eyeball said:

It's moving beyond a native cause to a human cause actually one that's directed more pointedly at our institutions rather than mere individuals like Sir John A. or Ryerson.  The request that the doctrine of discovery be rescinded takes direct aim at the institutional basis that authorized the colonization of Canada and of course the subjugation of indigenous people pretty much all over the entire world that was colonized by Europeans.  Its a request that could shake governments to their very foundations.  

It's no surprise that revolutions can often coalesce around a core sets of indigenous aspirations for the freedom to be self governing according to local values and traditions.  It's encouraging and telling that the request to rescind the discovery doctrine is coming from 1st Nation's legacy keepers - young people who've dedicated themselves to maintaining their people's desire for reconciliation alive and carrying their vision forward into the future.  This is exactly what a human institution is for, to preserve human values beyond a human's lifespan.

As for those who were hoping the Pope's visit might be some sort of beginning to the end of the 'native cause'...you probably haven't seen anything yet.  I suspect indigenous people and colonial governments around the world will be paying keen attention to the response from the Pope about the request that was asked of him.  I think the 'cause' is probably going to go global now, I certainly hope so.  It's certainly opened a new refreshing chapter here in Canada.

The pope has nothing to do with Ryerson. However, il papa already clarified his position when he spoke the other day.

Francis asked for forgiveness, in particular, for "the ways in which many members of the church and of religious communities co-operated... in projects of cultural destruction and forced assimilation promoted by the governments of that time, which culminated in the system of residential schools."

Link

In other words the true perpetrator is the government, who asked the church to assist in their plan. 

That is why cowardly Trudeau is hyperventilating into the microphone about the bad-old-church. Anything to deflect from his callous indifference to real native problems.

But far be it from me to take your hope away from you. Whatever helps one sleep at night.

17 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

The pope has nothing to do with Ryerson. However, il papa already clarified his position when he spoke the other day.

Francis asked for forgiveness, in particular, for "the ways in which many members of the church and of religious communities co-operated... in projects of cultural destruction and forced assimilation promoted by the governments of that time, which culminated in the system of residential schools."

Link

In other words the true perpetrator is the government, who asked the church to assist in their plan. 

That is why cowardly Trudeau is hyperventilating into the microphone about the bad-old-church. Anything to deflect from his callous indifference to real native problems.

But far be it from me to take your hope away from you. Whatever helps one sleep at night.

Yup.  There will never be enough apologies or taxpayer-funded handouts. Sadly, there was legitimate suffering and need for healing, but I don’t know how discernible that is anymore.  As with land claims, it’s case by case.  Much of what we see now is grandstanding and opportunism.  The Pope never had a chance with guys like Sinclair.  Victimhood gets peddled and used as a kind of endless extortion because there will never be an agreed upon restitution.

Harper understood this.  Trudeau has naively fueled division and made Canadians and foreigners feel ashamed for injustices they didn’t commit that weren’t considered injustices by mainstream society when they took place.  When we know better we do better.  The Indigenous get a lot of freebies and opportunities as peoples targeted for favouritism.  At some point most people have to move on.  Probably not in our lifetimes.  

2 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

So what happened today is that 1st Nations effectively asked the Pope to undermine the authorization of the government's existence.

That's probably why Trudeau is hyperventilating.

So says the guy who's probably expended more bandwidth communicating his utter lack of faith in our government.

You're missing a bigger picture that's emerging here.  A lot of our problems we have with our governance are very similar to those that 1st Nations have, which is to say little to no control over it.  Look around you just about the entire world is pretty unhappy with how they're being governed - there is an opportunity here to change that and we just might find some common cause with indigenous aspirations especially at a time when these are both powerful and seemingly effective. History definitely seems to be on their side at least going forward. 

Edited by eyeball

7 hours ago, eyeball said:

So what happened today is that 1st Nations effectively asked the Pope to undermine the authorization of the government's existence.

That's probably why Trudeau is hyperventilating.

So says the guy who's probably expended more bandwidth communicating his utter lack of faith in our government.

You're missing a bigger picture that's emerging here.  A lot of our problems we have with our governance are very similar to those that 1st Nations have, which is to say little to no control over it.  Look around you just about the entire world is pretty unhappy with how they're being governed - there is an opportunity here to change that and we just might find some common cause with indigenous aspirations especially at a time when these are both powerful and seemingly effective. History definitely seems to be on their side at least going forward. 

Yippie kai-yay then. Like already said, it’s a nice dream. Enjoy it.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

And self-imposed segregation put the natives in a shitty position. It may have been desirable back then, but it didnt take long for it to become a shitty position. 

So it was 1st Nations who put themselves on reserves.

:lol:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Oh well at least you can acknowledge its nice. 

Yes. I would love to joins hands with you people, and sing kumbaya in that perfect world.

But after so many years of waking up to the same old horseshit every day, and the same old, tired promises of a new and better tomorrow, I no longer give a shee-it.

It is what it is, always was, and forever will be.

3 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Yes. I would love to joins hands with you people, and sing kumbaya in that perfect world.

But after so many years of waking up to the same old horseshit every day, and the same old, tired promises of a new and better tomorrow, I no longer give a shee-it.

It would definitely be be better place without you...Godspeed.

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

It would definitely be be better place without you...Godspeed.

In your opinion for sure it would, because the truth I speak disturbs your sleep.

It is really because you put your faith in politicians and popes.

Again far be it from me to advise you. That’s why I’ma just sit back out of the way and watch. Plenty of room for when your hopeful countenance gets slammed to the floor.

7 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

Bitter and miserable to the end eh?  You may say you don't give a shit but that certainly doesn't prevent you from taking a dump on anyone that tries to make the world a better place.  It seems it's the only source of joy you have left in your life.

On 7/28/2022 at 9:55 PM, eyeball said:

Yet in truth, it was and always has been the natives who self-impose segregation.

Gee...that seems really smaaarrrt...