Ryerson University Changing Name

Just now, Nationalist said:

Man-oh-man...do I really have to tippytoe through Canadian history with you? They weren't "given" the opportunity...I dont think...as much as they could have decided to live WITH the colonists...or at least work with them...to BE part of the society and take advantage of the more comfortable technology. 

It would have been abrasive at first, but hell, the colonists had internal issues of their own.

It's never helpful when 1 dimensional thinking makes conclusions and judgements on anything. Especially history.

Would you have rolled over and accepted whatever the colonists deigned to give you?  

And when the colonists came knocking on the door to take their children away to be taught not to be “savages”, you think they should have just been happy to be provided with such an opportunity?

6 minutes ago, TreeBeard said:

Would you have rolled over and accepted whatever the colonists deigned to give you?  

And when the colonists came knocking on the door to take their children away to be taught not to be “savages”, you think they should have just been happy to be provided with such an opportunity?

Who had to roll over? The natives had just helped save Canada from the Yankees. 

No one was coming to take anyone's kids. Stop making up dumb shit.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Nationalist said:

Natives out East in Canada divided into two camps. Pro English or Pro French. Both had their advantages. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

Yup. Lost opportunity...for ALL of them and ultimately...ALL of us.

Out West, they were very fortunate to fall under the 'rule' of the various fur trading companies. Had the Spanish or Russians...or Japanese, even...solidified their hold over the area. Different outcome....

3 hours ago, DogOnPorch said:

Out West, they were very fortunate to fall under the 'rule' of the various fur trading companies. Had the Spanish or Russians...or Japanese, even...solidified their hold over the area. Different outcome....

Likely true.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

Likely true.

The Fur Traders, Mounties and Explorers that opened the Canadian Far West didn't arrive in huge numbers in the beginning. But by golly, the English/Brits were organized and brought the King's Law. Like the Raj, small numbers of effective administrators ran a VERY large show. But unlike India, the native tribes numbered in the hundreds in most cases to thousands in the Coast tribes. No untold millions. Absolutely no punitive measures were taken. Didn't really need to. Most natives were more than happy to hunt & trap for access to British/HBC gear and cash. There were some burps where Victoria was besieged briefly...but I think that was some misunderstanding about Pot Laches if I recall...I'd have to look it up.

The Chilcotin War of 1864 was a regrettable affair where Chilcotan warriors attacked (mostly) American & Chinese road workers and surveyors killing a bunch that were trespassing in their territory and not paying native workers. This led to Judge Mathew Begbie hanging a number of tribal leaders & warriors. To be fair, the Americans were apparently quite the lot of lowlifes out of Seattle and area, desperate for work and access to the fortunes being made up north.

But I think that's pretty much it...perhaps a few other skirmishes during the days of exploration. 

Edited by DogOnPorch
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...
On 10/5/2021 at 8:26 AM, Pete_Coach said:

We should not name anything after anyone. Future citizens may not like it.

All names of everything should be changed to numbers or letters or symbols.

Wait. Don’t certain races/cultures not like certain numerals? There are house numbers in Kongcouver out of sync on their block. THEIR culture is paramount with the left.

• Like 1

On 2/3/2022 at 2:10 PM, Nationalist said:

I have friends who were taken and raped - a hundred and fifty years after Canada was saved.

Stop pretending you're dumb as shit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

I have friends who were taken and raped - a hundred and fifty years after Canada was saved.

Stop pretending you're dumb as shit.

I have friends who did just fine.

But I have caucasian friends who have been raped. Gee...some humans are just bad apples eh?

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I have friends who did just fine.

But I have caucasian friends who have been raped. Gee...some humans are just bad apples eh?

Yes but the worst are those who maintain that two wrongs cancel each other out and make everything right. That's just disgraceful.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Yes but the worst are those who maintain that two wrongs cancel each other out and make everything right. That's just disgraceful.

I might agree with you if I knew which 2 wrongs you be talkin' 'bout?

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, eyeball said:

The garden variety rape you're comparing to the systemic institutionalized rape 1st nations experienced.

If we're talking about rape...none are excusable. 

If we're talking about "the plight of the natives...that's a serious debate.

On 7/23/2022 at 3:15 AM, Nationalist said:

If we're talking about rape...none are excusable.

True enough but whataboutism is clearly an excuse for treating rapists and victims as all the same so that doling out punishment and compensation is the same as well.

The difference of course is that your garden variety rapists didn't and couldn't saddle victims and their communities with the extra weight and scope of indifference and complicity that our institutions did.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

True enough but whataboutism is clearly an excuse for treating rapists and victims as all the same so that doling out punishment and compensation is the same as well.

The difference of course is that your garden variety rapists didn't and couldn't saddle victims and their communities with the extra weight and scope of indifference and complicity that our institutions did.

And who today did any of this?

47 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

And who today did any of this?

The people and institutions still haunting the living memories of victims, like the friends I mentioned.  People like you who want to pretend it's all just water under the bridge that can be put behind us are as disgusting and complicit as the perverted institutions that shielded the rapists and perverts that fucked these people over in our name.

Edited by eyeball

5 hours ago, eyeball said:

The people and institutions still haunting the living memories of victims, like the friends I mentioned.  People like you who want to pretend it's all just water under the bridge that can be put behind us are as disgusting and complicit as the perverted institutions that shielded the rapists and perverts that fucked these people over in our name.

I see. So you figure what happened before I was born, is something I need to pay for.

You also figure the natives had no culpability in any of this. Completely innocent. 

Pfft...Tweenkie ideology.