Ryerson University Changing Name

3 hours ago, Nationalist said:

I see. So you figure what happened before I was born, is something I need to pay for.

Yes that's right, and so do the courts.

The lesson for us is to learn that we need far greater control over the sorts of decisions our governments make with far more robust our institutions of accountability and transparency - so something as awful never happens again.

2 hours ago, Nationalist said:

Not my victims. I've never hurt a native person in my life.

Your institutions have, they're your's and you're responsible for the things they do in your name.  Your failure to do anything about them only compounds your liability.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Yes that's right, and so do the courts.

The lesson for us is to learn that we need far greater control over the sorts of decisions our governments make with far more robust our institutions of accountability and transparency - so something as awful never happens again.

And do we also address the insanity of the treaties and the self-imposed segregation of the natives? Or do they all get a pass because...they're natives?

If you refuse to identify and address ALL of the issues, you are destined to abject failure.

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Your institutions have, they're your's and you're responsible for the things they do in your name.  Your failure to do anything about them only compounds your liability.

My institutions...are a gaggle of lyin' jack-asses. THAT is a sad but true fact.

I will accept no liability for things I didn't do, nor have I ever advocated for. Perhaps the natives need to do a little soul searching of their own.

5 hours ago, Nationalist said:

And do we also address the insanity of the treaties and the self-imposed segregation of the natives? Or do they all get a pass because...they're natives?

No. As for their issues amongst themselves that's for them to settle.

If you refuse to identify and address ALL of the issues, you are destined to abject failure.

No that'll only occur if we keep dreaming up excuses to not negotiate treaties.

That seems to be your strategy.

My institutions...are a gaggle of lyin' jack-asses. THAT is a sad but true fact.

I've told you what we can do to alleviate that. Sadly there are too few Canadians who are interested in forcing our governments to be more transparent and accountable.

Our near total lack of robust institutions of accountability is a self imposed insanity that we need to address.

I will accept no liability for things I didn't do, nor have I ever advocated for.

That's okay the Supreme Court will if Parliament is unwilling.

Perhaps the natives need to do a little soul searching of their own.

Why? I'm not aware of 1st Nation institutions having colonized or abused us.

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

No. As for their issues amongst themselves that's for them to settle.

No that'll only occur if we keep dreaming up excuses to not negotiate treaties.

That seems to be your strategy.

No huh...then I have no desire to even deal with people who are that closed minded a self centered. 

2 hours ago, eyeball said:

I've told you what we can do to alleviate that. Sadly there are too few Canadians who are interested in forcing our governments to be more transparent and accountable.

Our near total lack of robust institutions of accountability is a self imposed insanity that we need to address.

That's okay the Supreme Court will if Parliament is unwilling.

Why? I'm not aware of 1st Nation institutions having colonized or abused us.

I have never colonized nor have I ever abused any native...unless they were plain old ass-holes.

1 hour ago, Nationalist said:

I have never colonized nor have I ever abused any native...

You're doing that right now by getting in the way of reconciliation, stamping your feet and denying you have any responsibility for the actions of your government. You live in a democracy.

Perhaps this is why so many Canadians say they live in a dictatorship, they figure it gets them off the hook for whatever our politicians do.

Excuses excuses. 

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

You're doing that right now by getting in the way of reconciliation, stamping your feet and denying you have any responsibility for the actions of your government. You live in a democracy.

Perhaps this is why so many Canadians say they live in a dictatorship, they figure it gets them off the hook for whatever our politicians do.

Excuses excuses. 

Your full o' shit.

On 8/26/2021 at 5:50 PM, Zeitgeist said:

Egerton Ryerson was a champion of Indigenous.  Sadly, his name is being erroneously attached to residential schools, which he did not found.  It appears that an angry ignorant mob is being allowed to rewrite history.   Where is the university president? Where are the adults?  I guess we pretend that orange is purple.  If we repeat a lie long enough...

Some facts about Ryerson:

“EGERTON RYERSON WAS deeply interested in the lives and education of Indigenous people. As a young man he was appointed to the Credit mission, home of the Mississaugas. At the Credit Mission, located in what is today the City of Mississauga, the 23-year old set out in 1826/27 to learn Ojibwe (Anishinaabemowin) and worked in the fields with the people of the settlement. “I was at that time a perfect stranger to Indians, and but little acquainted with their customs,”  Ryerson reported in the American Methodist Magazine in 1827. “But the affectionate manner in which they received me, and the joy they appeared to feel on the occasion, removed all the strangeness of national feeling, and enabled me to embrace them as brethren, and love them as mine own people.”  The first Methodist missionary to live with the Credit Mississauga, Ryerson joined their fight to secure a title deed to their lands at the mouth of the Credit River, 12 miles west of Toronto. He stood by them to protect their remaining land base against the ever-encroaching British Canadian settlers (by this time, Indigenous peoples constituted less than 1% of the Canada West population). His hope, indeed the progressive way of thinking at the time, was to help Indigenous communities become farmers. He won their respect. The Credit Mississauga admired Egerton, who rolled up his sleeves, ate and lived and toiled alongside them. At a council fire in December 1826 the Credit Mississauga “adopted” the 23-year-old, giving him the Ojibwe name of a well-regarded recently deceased chief: “Cheechock” or “Chechalk,” who had belonged to the Eagle doodem. The name “Chechalk” meant “Bird on the Wing.” Ryerson also became a life-long friend of future chief Kahkewaquonaby (Sacred Feathers), known as Peter Jones.“ (Dorchester Review)

https://apple.news/ABfZta7YmRWu7_41PuXf0RA

https://www.dorchesterreview.ca/blogs/news/the-imbecile-attack-on-egerton-ryerson

Thanks for posting this. I never fully knew what a good and wise man Ryerson was. This incident has me wondering what the point was to change the name. It does nothing to help natives facing real problems today. More of a distraction... about as useful as putting up a sign or slogan, while people live in squallor.

But hey, as long as it makes white liberals feel better.

What do the natives think of it?

Nobody gives sh*t

22 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

Thanks for posting this...

Sure makes us crackers feel better about ourselves.

FIFY.

These media sources are moderate to strongly biased toward conservative causes through story selection and/or political affiliation. They may utilize strong loaded words (wording that attempts to influence an audience by using appeal to emotion or stereotypes), publish misleading reports and omit reporting of information that may damage conservative causes. Some sources in this category may be untrustworthy. See all Right Bias sources.

• Dorchester Review is currently pending or under review. When deciding to evaluate a source we do a preliminary investigation to determine if the source qualifies for review. Qualifications include high traffic, popularity, controversy, strong bias, and the potential for false or misleading information.

About: A website that covers Canadian history from a conservative perspective.

https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/dorchester-review-bias/

31 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

What do the natives think of it?

Nobody gives sh*t

Given this is about schooling I think a scholarly basis for your opinion that nobody gives a shit is appropriate.

16 minutes ago, Nationalist said:

I don't trust "my institutions" and will assume no responsibility for them.

The personal responsibility you're willing to  assume doesn't matter - it's the liability that is assigned to you that does, probably by the Supreme Court for the most part.

Ignoring your responsibility for doing anything to protect yourself from future liability seems dumb. You mentioned culpability in the context of one's own misfortune so surely you can understand what I'm getting at.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, eyeball said:

The personal responsibility you're willing to  assume doesn't matter - it's the liability that is assigned to you that does, probably by the Supreme Court for the most part.

Ignoring your responsibility for doing anything to protect yourself from future liability seems dumb. You mentioned culpability in the context of one's own misfortune so surely you can understand what I'm getting at.

Are you trying to suggest I have some legal issues due to my position or opinion?

8 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

I would think national pride goes hand in hand with national responsibility. But I'm not a nationalist.

It’s a pity, because we need them now more than ever. But let me ask, to you and the little nut-ball, other than the name change will Ryerson be making any restitution to natives?

I looked on google but couldn’t find any. That’s it, just a name change. That is good enough for you people to wash your hands of the matter. You feel better with this, token gesture.

It really is sad that you think this symbolism holds any value to actual natives.

Meanwhile, how is that promise of clean water on every reserve coming along?

“In 2015, Justin Trudeau, then campaigning for the country’s top job, made an ambitious promise to end the scourge of unsafe water in more than 100 First Nations communities across the country. But today the federal minister overseeing the issue acknowledges the government has missed its March deadline on its own five-year promise, and says he has “no credible excuse” for how communities that have gone decades without clean water still lack access.”

https://www.theguardian.com/world/2021/apr/30/canada-first-nations-justin-trudeau-drinking-water

Not even. And the article indicates a mere 100 communities. But hey. Carry on with the name changes, 

all ye stupid rabbits

5 hours ago, OftenWrong said:

1. will Ryerson be making any restitution to natives?

2. That is good enough for you people to wash your hands of the matter. You feel better with this, token gesture.

3. Meanwhile, how is that promise of clean water on every reserve coming along?

1. No idea.

2. 'You people ' ? You seem to be unable to discuss things with me without assigning me some personal stake in the matter.  When you want my opinion on how much this helps first Nations et al, just ask ok?

Putting me into a cartoon mob of your own imagining makes me wonder why you are taking to me.

And who is the nut ball?

Too personal, my friend.

3. No idea.  Probably badly.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when the late Gord Downie praised Trudeau his last time on stage.  You don't know me or what I care about, so stop pretending that you do.  It makes your arguments shittier.

25 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. No idea.

2. 'You people ' ? You seem to be unable to discuss things with me without assigning me some personal stake in the matter.  When you want my opinion on how much this helps first Nations et al, just ask ok?

Putting me into a cartoon mob of your own imagining makes me wonder why you are taking to me.

And who is the nut ball?

Too personal, my friend.

3. No idea.  Probably badly.

You have no idea how disappointed I was when the late Gord Downie praised Trudeau his last time on stage.  You don't know me or what I care about, so stop pretending that you do.  It makes your arguments shittier.

There there fella. Sow the wind, you know how it goes. I don’t ask for your opinion.

;) 

The nutball knows who he is. Mr. personal himself.

As to you people, it’s a general term that doesn’t always mean you. Sometimes it does.

You decide. If the shoe fits...