Liberals to greatly increase immigration in coming years.

Argus

15 minutes ago, Moonlight Graham said:

You just said Canada isn't multicultural it's a melting pot.  How the heck is it a melting pot when most ethnicities don't want to mix?  A melting pot would be people choosing where to live not based on the ethnicity of their neighbours.  Much of the GTA is racist as hell.  It's sad.

Yes it's a melting pot.  I should have said multicultural in quotes.

People eventually ignore ethnicity when choosing neighbours, as nobody today cares if their neighbour is Irish or so on.  My neighbour is black and I'm ok with it, but I made sure to physically threaten him and put some fear in there to ensure multicultural balance.

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Yes it's a melting pot.  I should have said multicultural in quotes.

People eventually ignore ethnicity when choosing neighbours, as nobody today cares if their neighbour is Irish or so on.  My neighbour is black and I'm ok with it, but I made sure to physically threaten him and put some fear in there to ensure multicultural balance.

Edited to add: We are multicultural in my 'hood, just to be clear.

1 hour ago, Michael Hardner said:

Edited to add: We are multicultural in my 'hood, just to be clear.

Some places in Toronto are multicultural.  I don't know of any ethnic downtown condo buildings for instance.

In GTA the enclaves seem to increase as you go to the suburbs, and the newer suburbs seems to be more segregated.   Mississauga is more multicultural than Brampton, same with Scarborough vs Markham.  We're getting less "melting pot" it seems.

There's also lots of 2nd and 3rd generation Italian-Canadians in Vaughan.

You will of course deny everything i've said.

17 hours ago, Moonlight Graham said:

We're such a melting pot that many different immigrant groups prefer segregating themselves into ethnic ghettos: 

feaenclaves.jpeg

Melting pot my azz. When a new immigrant can immigrate to a country like Canada and then they end up being allowed to have their own foreign TV/radio stations, newspapers, religious places of worship, cultural centers, schools, and being able to do business in their own language, and all with the help and assistance and promotion by all three levels of the government, it's no wonder that there is no need for any of these new immigrants to want to assimilate into Canadian culture. Why would they when we have our own Canadian politicians kissing their foreign cultural azzes for votes now. 

It's getting to the point now that they will be wanting the host white Canadians to assimilate into their foreign cultures and traditions. They even flaunt those traditions on our city streets every year with parades and events. It's like saying that we are here now and Canadian culture and traditions can got to hell. We have ours so get lost with your way of life and ways of doing things.  They do not need to come to Canada anymore and become Canadian. They just need to get here and Canadians will kiss their azzes just to make them feel like they are back home. Canada and Canadians have truly become a nation of stupid and dumb downed people and country. Patriotism to Canada is gone forever. :(

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

That's weird of you to say.  I never denied ethnic enclaves, just denied the significance of it.

You're not Irish are you ?   

I would sure like to know what your ethnic background is? Care to tell us all here? At least then I would know as to where I stand here with you and where you may be coming from. Well? 

29 minutes ago, taxme said:

I would sure like to know what your ethnic background is? Care to tell us all here? At least then I would know as to where I stand here with you and where you may be coming from. Well? 

Right. Weren't you trying for years to get me to admit I'm Jewish?  And when I responded you didn't believe me anyway!

So weird.

3 minutes ago, Michael Hardner said:

Right. Weren't you trying for years to get me to admit I'm Jewish?  And when I responded you didn't believe me anyway!

So weird.

I do not believe that I ever got a real answer from you. That is why I keep wanting to know. And I am still trying to get you to tell me as to what your ethnic background is. Well? Tell me one more time for old times sake. ;)

8 hours ago, Argus said:

1.Because the Left has a knee-jerk reaction to any suggestion that mass immigration might not necessarily be a good thing.

1. If you want to get partisan about this, I could also point out that the right is unable to bring the discussion forward without overtones/undertones of xenophobia or - in the worst case - actual racists being involved.  There hasn't been a pure economic argument put forward against immigration (by a major party) as far as I can tell.

I started to read the rest of your post and - guess what - I deleted it rather than read it.  You wanted to get partisan, as well as argue about immigration itself.  I already explained, I'm not interested.  That's why there's just a 1. above.

Anyway, I said I'm ready to talk about immigration but the framing is the difficult part.

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, Michael Hardner said:

1. If you want to get partisan about this,

I was replying to a post in which you claimed right wingers had no understanding of economics, as I recall.

I could also point out that the right is unable to bring the discussion forward without overtones/undertones of xenophobia or - in the worst case - actual racists being involved. 

There are elements of such people who will always be involved in such discussions. But they're not representative of the whole. On the other hand, I've talked immigration online for a very long time and never been involved in such a discussion without being accused of racism. That includes this one.

There hasn't been a pure economic argument put forward against immigration (by a major party) as far as I can tell.

Because all parties benefit politically from mass immigration. There is effectively no conservative party putting forth conservative views just as there is no labour party putting forward the views of labour (the NDP abandoned that job many years ago)

I started to read the rest of your post and - guess what - I deleted it rather than read it.  You wanted to get partisan, as well as argue about immigration itself.  I already explained, I'm not interested. 

Oh climb down off your pedestal. You think THIS below wasn't partisan? It was a highly partisan attack on the right. And when I reply by pointing out the left is also populist you 'delete it unread'. Please.

Right-wing types that favour populisms and the PPC tend to have a simplistic model of how economics works.  I'm actually trying to be generous by saying that, because I want to find a way to incorporate their world view into this conversation without excluding them, discounting them, blaming or name-calling them, dismissing them, etc.  The facts are pretty plain: they existing in significant numbers, they don't see the benefit of open borders, and in many cases they are being left behind by the new world.

Edited by Argus

On 11/9/2020 at 2:03 PM, taxme said:

So you're saying that the value of his comments is contingent on his ethnicity? Weird.

On 11/9/2020 at 5:53 PM, Michael Hardner said:

That's weird of you to say.  I never denied ethnic enclaves, just denied the significance of it.

You're not Irish are you ?   

There has to be some significance to it, perhaps you do not think it has any significance to the idea, but I'm sure those people in your neighborhood puts a lot of significance to the idea.   I mean it's human nature to want to be with your own kind, black, brown, white etc.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

1. There has to be some significance to it, perhaps you do not think it has any significance to the idea, but I'm sure those people in your neighborhood puts a lot of significance to the idea.   

2. I mean it's human nature to want to be with your own kind, black, brown, white etc.

1. Ok, I guess that makes sense.

2. I can buy that, but I don't think it means that people are racist, necessarily.

The act of living together or within your own culture or race is not a racist act, in my opinion, but that being said

I think that all cultures, races, etc are some what racist or have racist attitudes or have said or done racist things towards another culture or race.  There may be some people who may have not done anything racist... but they are a rare exception.  The question is what qualifies a person as a racist, can you be a little racist, or do you have to be a full blown KKK member. 

Edited by Army Guy

18 hours ago, marcus said:

So you're saying that the value of his comments is contingent on his ethnicity? Weird.

Nope. I just asked him as to what was his ethnic background. That is not being racist to do so because that is what you really are trying to say here, right?  My ethnic background is of British/Irish/Scottish. I am not afraid to say so. I could careless as to who or what is his background or what is comments are. It was just a simple question.

It's not like it is something new for someone to ask as to what their ethnic background is. I hear on TV plenty of times people on there telling us what their ethnic or ancestry background is. By them doing so I can then pretty much figure as to where they are coming from. Not every question asked of someone has to be seen as racist. Your weird. ;)