Liberals to greatly increase immigration in coming years.

Argus

54 minutes ago, marcus said:

You seem to be against how the free market works.

Oh, that's funny coming from a guy who defends bringing in desperate third world people to keep wages low.

The free market works for employees too. If there's a shortage of workers you should be raising wages. Then maybe all those Canadian parents wouldn't have to see their kids going thousands of miles away to find work. But no, slimy companies like yours short-circuit that by bringing in masses of foreign labour to work cheap.

Time brings change and transition. The appetite to run a tech company in Canada is no longer scary. Our corporate taxes are actually very inviting. This is why we are seeing so many successful Canadian tech companies starting in Canada and not moving to Silicon Valley. We're also seeing American companies moving up to Canada, because of the highly educated workforce and a better immigration system, where it's easier for skilled workers to move here. We also have a change in the mindset of skilled workers around the world. The higher salaries in the U.S. are no longer enough to attract talent. The millenials and GenZ care a lot more about quality of life. 

Right. Two thirds of recent software engineers have to go south because the shit salaries you offer won't pay their student loans, but according to you they're more interested in 'quality of life'. Except quality of life in Toronto is nowhere near as good as in places like Austin or Denver or San Diego.

All of this is a recipe for Canada's booming tech industry.

Who gives a shit about your booming industry if it doesn't employ Canadians?

I don't understand what you want here.

I want companies like yours to be run out of business.

Do you want to regulate Canadian companies in what they are paying employees?

Not at all. I want them to not be able to bring in foreign workers. Let the wages rise or fall with supply and demand.

Do you want Canadian employers to set up shop outside of Canada, because Bobby Smith doesn't like brown tech workers entering Canada?

I want those sweatshop employers like yours who hire foreigners while Canadians have to leave the country to find decent salaries to be run out of Canada, along with their sleazy owners.

3 minutes ago, marcus said:

Are you talking about Permanent Residency? Because that's not what I'm talking about and it's not what the discussion of foreign workers is about.

I'm talking about both. Bringing in one percent of the population every year depresses wages. Adding in hundreds of thousands of foreign workers on top of that hurts even more. It particularly these government programs depress wages for the skill areas of the immigrants. Bring in lots of foreign tech workers, esp from third world countries, and you depress wages in the tech sector. Which is what companies like yours have done.

Then the Canadian graduates have to go south to find jobs.

8 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Old news...reported in 2016 too...even the Canadians big mouths stayed in California (like Neve Campbell).   I guess they remembered the weather back home.

5 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Old news...reported in 2016 too...even the Canadians big mouths stayed in California (like Neve Campbell).   I guess they remembered the weather back home.

Born and raised in Guelph, ON, 45-year-old Campbell, now lives in slightly less snowy New York City with her longtime partner, actor J. J. Feild.Feb 13, 2019

34 minutes ago, Cannucklehead said:

Let me know when Canada has 20% of the world's landed immigrants, like the United States...most in the world by far.

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Oh, that's funny coming from a guy who defends bringing in desperate third world people to keep wages low.

What? Who said this is what I do?

You get angry when I correct you and then you go and make shit up. You are so toxic.

Almost all of our employees are Canadian citizens. The two foreign workers that work for our company are making more than $20k over the median salary in Canada. Are they making more than you? Does it matter? No. You can't do what they do. If you can, send over your resume. We're desperate to find skilled tech workers!

6 hours ago, Argus said:

The free market works for employees too. If there's a shortage of workers you should be raising wages.

Are you not reading what is being shared here? Because of free market and the demand for skilled workers, the salaries ARE going up in Canada. Why are so resistant to reality?

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Then maybe all those Canadian parents wouldn't have to see their kids going thousands of miles away to find work. But no, slimy companies like yours short-circuit that by bringing in masses of foreign labour to work cheap.

You are toxic.

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Right. Two thirds of recent software engineers have to go south because the shit salaries you offer won't pay their student loans, but according to you they're more interested in 'quality of life'. Except quality of life in Toronto is nowhere near as good as in places like Austin or Denver or San Diego.

Your toxic mind is spewing anger and incoherent ramblings.

A recent graduate in engineering or tech in Canada, at one point, went down south, because there were many jobs in Silicon Valley that paid over $100K. Same thing with Indian graduates in tech. They went to the U.S., because of better opportunities.

More recently, especially in the past few years, there are fewer people doing that. Why? Because Canada has become more desirable. Part of it is due to the increase in number of jobs, which has resulted in an increase in salary. But there are other factors as well.

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Who gives a shit about your booming industry if it doesn't employ Canadians?

Who said Canadians are not being employed? Why do you make shit up?

6 hours ago, Argus said:

I want companies like yours to be run out of business.

It's not going to happen, due to supply and demand. Why are you so against the free market?

Are you asking for regulations on who companies can hire? Do you want Canada to implement a no brown people policy, because Argus doesn't like non-white people?

6 hours ago, Argus said:

Not at all. I want them to not be able to bring in foreign workers. Let the wages rise or fall with supply and demand.

You don't seem to get it. 

Canada and the U.S. do not have enough workers to fill jobs in the technology sector, so they have to look outside of the country for these skilled workers.

Why is this so difficult for you to grasp?

Are you reading this?

Is your hate for brown people and your toxic mindset preventing you from understanding reality?

6 hours ago, Argus said:

I want those sweatshop employers like yours who hire foreigners while Canadians have to leave the country to find decent salaries to be run out of Canada, along with their sleazy owners.

What are you talking about?

The difference between the salaries for a software engineer, between U.S. and Canada is $140,000 vs $100,000. 

Brown people will continue to move to Canada, and they will continue to improve Canada, and there is nothing you can do to stop that.

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Hell, the immigrants to Canada are going "south" to find jobs too.   Why would Canada bring in immigrant workers only to have them seek employment in the United States ?

This is true. It still happens. Despite the gap getting closer, U.S. companies are still paying engineers and tech workers more money. Do you blame anyone who wants to be paid more?

7 hours ago, marcus said:

This is true. It still happens. Despite the gap getting closer, U.S. companies are still paying engineers and tech workers more money. Do you blame anyone who wants to be paid more?

Well, I certainly wouldn't leave my country to earn more money, but I already live in the United States.  Consulting gigs pay well in Saudi Arabia and Dubai too, but I wouldn't go there for the money.  

Losing Canadian immigrants to the United States labour force only adds to Canada's net migration bleeding. Canada becomes a stepping stone.

What? Who said this is what I do?

You did.

Almost all of our employees are Canadian citizens.

Any of them born here?

Canada and the U.S. do not have enough workers to fill jobs in the technology sector, so they have to look outside of the country for these skilled workers.

Ah, I see, so Canada doesn't have enough workers to fill jobs in the technology sector -- which is why two thirds of recent software engineering grads leave the country? Yes, yes, that makes soo much sense! Clearly they're confused by all the offers they get from companies like yours offering high salaries!

Is your hate for brown people and your toxic mindset preventing you from understanding reality?

The reality of scummy companies like yours exploiting immigrants for profit? Yeah, I can grasp that very clearly.

Wait? I thought there was a shortage of tech workers in Canada? When there's a shortage wages are supposed to rise.

But that's not happening, right? Because of all the immigrants flooding in to take those low-wage jobs.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Argus said:

The reality of scummy companies like yours exploiting immigrants for profit? Yeah, I can grasp that very clearly.

That is certainly part of the problem...large recruiting efforts to get the foreign workers landed (and exploited) for lower wages.   One example is nurses, health care aids, and domestic workers from The Philippines...large numbers for low pay, but more than they can make back home.

2 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

That is certainly part of the problem...large recruiting efforts to get the foreign workers landed (and exploited) for lower wages.   One example is nurses, health care aids, and domestic workers from The Philippines...large numbers for low pay, but more than they can make back home.

Yes. The kind of wages Canadian tech companies are offering look awfully good to someone from a third world country. Of course, once they're committed and get here and realize how high the cost of living is those wages start to look a lot less generous. So then the best of them set their eyes south, and with a few years in Canada can hope to join the two thirds of Canadian software engineers who cross to the US.

But that doesn't bother these scummy companies because they're constantly bringing in more newcomers from the third world.

48 minutes ago, Argus said:

But that doesn't bother these scummy companies because they're constantly bringing in more newcomers from the third world.

That's their business model....many web cites with immigration attorney help on how to get into Canada.   And fight to stay even if visas expire or deported.

The other down side is that the skilled workers are a brain drain from third world nations, keeping them in the hole.    It is also a brain drain from Canada when students leave for U.S. jobs and higher wages.

3 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Well, I certainly wouldn't leave my country to earn more money, but I already live in the United States.  Consulting gigs pay well in Saudi Arabia and Dubai too, but I wouldn't go there for the money.  

Losing Canadian immigrants to the United States labour force only adds to Canada's net migration bleeding. Canada becomes a stepping stone.

This is what the latest discussion is about. The tide is changing. Tech companies, jobs and salaries in Canada are increasing. The movement is reversing.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Wait? I thought there was a shortage of tech workers in Canada? When there's a shortage wages are supposed to rise.

But that's not happening, right? Because of all the immigrants flooding in to take those low-wage jobs.

They are rising. Are you not reading the wealth of information being shared here?

The number of tech companies, jobs and salaries are rising. The wage gap is getting closer.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

You did.

I didn't.

I never "defended bringing in desperate third world people to keep wages low."

You lie.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Any of them born here?

I don't care. A citizen is a citizen.

3 hours ago, Argus said:

Ah, I see, so Canada doesn't have enough workers to fill jobs in the technology sector -- which is why two thirds of recent software engineering grads leave the country? Yes, yes, that makes soo much sense! Clearly they're confused by all the offers they get from companies like yours offering high salaries!

How recent?

Are you digging into your archive of old news again?

Your problem is that you cannot comprehend that things are always in a state of flux. There are many more tech companies in Canada this year, then there were even 3 years ago.

My company doesn't focus on technology, but we do have tech roles in our company. Despite offering very competitive salaries to hire programmers and software engineers, it's very difficult to find employees. This is the case for many of our clients, Canadian and American tech companies, who have a difficult time finding tech workers.

This has nothing to do with wages. Salaries are usually over $85K/year with majority over $100K. The problem is that there is a shortage of workers. Not only Canadian graduates, but also graduates all over the world.

The tech industry doesn't see borders. They just want to hire as many capable as possible. 

3 hours ago, Argus said:

You seem to think you know so much about what we do. Give me an example of this exploitation by our company.

If you like, I can give you many examples of your toxic mindset.

59 minutes ago, marcus said:

This is what the latest discussion is about. The tide is changing. Tech companies, jobs and salaries in Canada are increasing. The movement is reversing.

That's what Canadian governments always say...until the next brain drain.   If it's American and other foreign capital and corporate hegemons underpinning the growth, then it remains very fragile, just like automotive and electric vehicle jobs in Ontario.   Ultimately, Canada does not control the movement.

The on shore, near shore, off shore game has been played out in the IT industry, and may improve for Canada's immigrants as the last of the boomers go away and Gen-X starts to fade as well.

One of the saddest faces I have ever seen was that of a visa worker who's contract and sponsorship was not going to be renewed.   He couldn't leave his religion out of the workplace and resented woman who showed cleavage and wore tight clothing.   Buh-bye !

Edited by bush_cheney2004

Canada Wins, U.S. Loses In Global Fight For High-Tech Workers
https://www.npr.org/2020/01/27/799402801/canada-wins-u-s-loses-in-global-fight-for-high-tech-work

https://www.npr.org/2020/01/27/799402801/canada-wins-u-s-loses-in-global-fight-for-high-tech-workers

Toronto is emerging as a tech superpower as immigrants choose Canada over the US

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/toronto-canada-tech-hub-immigrants-h1b-visa-2020-7%3famp

Canada’s Tech Sector Benefits From U.S. Visa Policy

Government policy changes in Canada and the U.S. are shifting international tech talent north of the 49th parallel, an artificial intelligence expert says.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.usnews.com/news/best-countries/articles/2020-07-20/how-canadas-tech-sector-benefits-from-us-visa-policy%3fcontext=amp

More tech immigrants choosing Canada over U.S.

While U.S. immigration laws are becoming more restrictive more international skilled workers are coming to Canada.

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.cicnews.com/2020/08/more-tech-immigrants-choosing-canada-over-u-s-0815243.html/amp

40% of Canadian and Mexican engineers aren't interested in moving to the US for tech jobs

https://www.google.ca/amp/s/www.techrepublic.com/google-amp/article/40-of-canadian-and-mexican-engineers-arent-interested-in-moving-to-the-us-for-tech-jobs/

Canadas tech sector is clearly booming and increasingly becoming a destination of choice over the US for both mobile/global workers and employers. BUT....

The US tech sector is so much larger and has been established for so much longer its way too premature to say anything based on just the past couple of years of progress north of the border. The current Canadian tech boom at American expense could turn out to just be a blip in history if the US simply reverses a couple of Trump policies and assuming the US doesn’t dissolve into a failed state. 

2 hours ago, marcus said:

I didn't.

I never "defended bringing in desperate third world people to keep wages low."

And yet that's exactly what you DO.

I don't care. A citizen is a citizen.

People who have no loyalty to Canada say things like that.

How recent?

Are you digging into your archive of old news again?

I already posted the stats. You think everything has changed in two years? Well, Trump might have been making it harder to bring people in over the last year or so, and then the covid thing on top of that, but that's likely to change drastically the next few months.

Your problem is that you cannot comprehend that things are always in a state of flux. There are many more tech companies in Canada this year, then there were even 3 years ago.

I could care less. If all they do is provide jobs for foreigners, either temporary or immigrants, then they're of no use to Canadians already here. Tax em out of existence.

The tech industry doesn't see borders. They just want to hire as many capable as possible. 

You mean as cheap as possible.

The fact is, if you left white people alone they'd go extinct.  They're having babies at below replacement levels, and have for decades.  It's the same for most of the young non-white immigrants who come to Canada.

When more and more people aren't having kids, and the ones that do typically don't have more than 2, well then you're in a bit of a spot.  If this is caused by anyone, it's caused by people born in Canada.

420k+ per year is a lot.  The Liberals have increased immigration by around a third.  They'll keep increasing it.

Youth registrations in hockey, little league, swimming etc. are on the decline.  Registrations in soccer and basketball keep going up.  The country is changing.