Liberals to greatly increase immigration in coming years.

Argus

On 12/3/2020 at 10:16 AM, dialamah said:

Thats how White people are protected from the crimes they commit, and how the Justice system shows preference to White people.  He should have been convicted of attempted murder and in jail for a minimum of 4 years.  Instead, he got off almost scott free.  

I don't know the circumstances of the event you're talking about or the evidence behind the claim. I do know that it's irrelevant.

In this case no evidence that the person had ever been diagnosed or treated for any psychological condition was ever offered up. Further, even if they were diagnosed with some deep psychiatric condition the idea that a judge would give them an absolute discharge so as to not hamper their hopes for immigration here is INSANE.

If this guy has mental issues which cause him to attack women are you seriously suggesting its a good idea to make it easier for him to immigrate to Canada?!

On 12/3/2020 at 2:50 AM, marcus said:

Yet, salaries in both engineering and tech sectors are going up across the board. So this doesn't match with your opinion. 

They're not going up nearly as much as they are in the US.

If you think bribery and unethical behaviour happens by only non-whites, then you're mistaken.

Some countries have a culture of corruption. That doesn't suggest there's NO corruption in other countries. India and China, by far our biggest source countries for immigrants, have deep, deep cultures of corruption.

Just to note: We work with many engineering and technology firms in Canada. We assist companies at different levels, including recruitment. Majority of the recruitment is done domestically. However, due to the shortage of skilled Canadian workers, employers do look outside of Canada.

There is no shortage of Canadian workers. Capitalism always takes care of that unless people like you get the government to interfere. Were it not for people like you bringing in hordes of foreign workers wages would shoot up, and that would draw more people into the industry.  Same goes for technology. Were it not for you and companies like you keeping wages low two thirds of graduating software engineers wouldn't leave Canada for higher pay to the south.

So you cause the problem in the first place and then shrug and say "there's a shortage so whatareyagonnado?"

Did you know that there was a shortage of 60,000 truck drivers in Canada in 2019?

Which could be eliminated by raising wages.

No. Look at the prison system and tell me who populates them. Tell me which groups are rising in numbers. I can tell you that it's not the immigrants. 

Black Canadians make up 3 per cent of the country’s total population but represent 10 per cent of the federal prison population.

Two thirds of Black Canadians are immigrants, with the rest being their children.

2 hours ago, Argus said:

1.  I don't know the circumstances of the event you're talking about or the evidence behind the claim.

2. I do know that it's irrelevant.

1.  It happened to my son, 17 stab wounds.  I sat with him in the hospital, kept him company when he was too terrified to sleep or wait for coffee in Tim Hortons.  He's ok now, thanks for asking, but it was a tough time for everybody.

2. The relevance is in the cherry picking of certain events to demonize a demographic that you don't like.  Its a logical error known as Association Fallacy, and looks like this:

If A = C and A = X then C = X, where A is an individual, X is a criminal, C is a certain color, (or group if you prefer).

This is the logical fallacy you make almost daily on these forums.  

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, dialamah said:

2. The relevance is in the cherry picking of certain events to demonize a demographic that you don't like.

I can't help noticing that for all your indignation you haven't actually addressed the point I made nor answered my question. Do you believe our system should be working on his behalf to bring such a person to Canada?

And btw, I have been complaining about lax sentencing for violent offenders in Canada for a very long time. And you... haven't.

Edited by Argus

24 minutes ago, Argus said:

1.  I can't help noticing that for all your indignation you haven't actually addressed the point I made nor answered my question. Do you believe our system should be working on his behalf to bring such a person to Canada?

2.  And btw, I have been complaining about lax sentencing for violent offenders in Canada for a very long time. And you... haven't.

1.  That's true.  Most likely because  I suspect there's more to the story than an anti-immigrant proponent would care to know, and don't feel like researching it for you.

2.  I have expressed my opinion on sentencing which you didn't agree with.  A hint:  I don't think white men are homicidal maniacs, I think the justice system gets some things wrong, but most things right, and that my son's attacker got the right sentence.

46 minutes ago, dialamah said:

1.  That's true.  Most likely because  I suspect there's more to the story than an anti-immigrant proponent would care to know, and don't feel like researching it for you.

Funny. You don't seem to have an issue judging stories which feature white people.

46 minutes ago, dialamah said:

2.  I have expressed my opinion on sentencing which you didn't agree with.  A hint:  I don't think white men are homicidal maniacs, I think the justice system gets some things wrong, but most things right, and that my son's attacker got the right sentence.

In other words, you're a bleeding heart liberal who wants to slap criminals on the wrist, give them a hug, and send them back into the street.

29 minutes ago, Argus said:

1.  Funny. You don't seem to have an issue judging stories which feature white people.

2.  In other words, you're a bleeding heart liberal who wants to slap criminals on the wrist, give them a hug, and send them back into the street.

1 + 2 = 5?  Not sure how I can be both judging people and letting them off with a hug.  

@cannuck

Not sure how much you know about our immigration system, but it's quite dynamic. It has evolved into what it is today. Our system today cherry picks individuals from other countries. What it was like even 10 years ago is different than what it is today.

but we continue to solicit and welcome immigration from those sources.  WHY would you do such a thing??????

Do I facilitate or condone bringing in criminals? Of course not. That's an aggressive and unreasonable question to ask.

Do bad people come through the cracks? Yes. Even through today's strict immigration system? Of course. Is there a high rate of criminality created due to immigration? No. 

In fact, a research study that looks at property crime shows that immigration has reduced crime:

This paper identifies the causal linkages between immigration and crime using panel data constructed from the Uniform Crime Reporting Survey and the master files of the Census of Canada. This paper distinguishes immigrants by their years in Canada and defines three groups: new immigrants, recent immigrants and established immigrants. An instrumental variable strategy based on the historical ethnic distribution is used to correct for the endogenous location choice of immigrants. Two robust patterns emerge. First, new immigrants do not have a significant impact on the property crime rate, but with time spent in Canada, a 10% increase in the recent-immigrant share or established-immigrant share decreases the property crime rate by 2% to 3%.

Gangs are formed due to opportunities (or lack of). Hell's Angels are not an immigrant gang. Successive Italian mafias are not considered immigrant gangs.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, marcus said:

@cannuck

Not sure how much you know about our immigration system, but it's quite dynamic. It has evolved into what it is today. Our system today cherry picks individuals from other countries. What it was like even 10 years ago is different than what it is today.

Yes, we no longer do face to face interviews. We make little effort to ensure the documents submitted aren't faked. We make no effort to weed out people with extremist beliefs, be they religious or political. In the desperate effort to process huge numbers of people we give immigration employees no more than three or four minutes with each case before they have to approve or disapprove. Approve means the file is gone. Disapproval means much followup documentation to justify the decision.

We don't really know who these people are, and don't care. It's all about keeping the numbers up to satisfy the politicians who are campaigning in ethnic communities based on high numbers.