Will it be the virus that takes Trump down?

Just now, WestCanMan said:

You're the one who stated GTA, I just got the stats that you mentioned. 

Toronto 2.9M in 630 sq km. 4,600 people per sq km. Still 57% lower than NYC. 

There are over 1M more people riding the NYC subway than live in Toronto. 

I'm not contending that Toronto is larger than New York or even close. 

I'm just pointing out your comparison wasn't Apples to Apples. 

1 minute ago, Boges said:

New York is the only city in New York State that has more than 500,000 people in it. 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-10-biggest-cities-in-new-york-state.html

Ontario has five with another 3 or 4 cities largest than New York's second largest city, Buffalo. 

https://www.worldatlas.com/articles/the-10-biggest-cities-in-ontario.html

Funny that you just accused me of being misleading for getting the exact stats for your choice of regions to compare for population, now you're choosing misleading stats yourself.

NYC alone has more people than the whole GTA, remember? Who care if the GTA has more cities. Population density is the key to quick virus transmission.

4 minutes ago, Boges said:

I'm not contending that Toronto is larger than New York or even close. 

I'm just pointing out your comparison wasn't Apples to Apples. 

You're the one who said that the GTA was comparable to NYC. I never said that at all. I even got the stats to show how different they were when you brought up the comparison.

My whole point all along has been that NYC has a completely different situation from anything we face in Canada.

Edited by WestCanMan

23 minutes ago, WestCanMan said:

You're the one who said that the GTA was comparable to NYC. I never said that at all. I even got the stats to show how different they were when you brought up the comparison.

My whole point all along has been that NYC has a completely different situation from anything we face in Canada.

I mentioned the GTA to dispute your point that Canada is some rural country that doesn't have to deal with population density issues. You could also consider other pockets of Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and BC

It's a rather moot point as people in both places are supposed to be staying home en masse. 

Edited by Boges

What happens if you remove New York and New Jersey Death Totals as of today from the rest of the US totals?

11,500 for New York
3,000 for New Jersey

That's 14,500. 

US totals are around 27,000

That's 12,500 deaths for the rest of the US. 

Canada has just over 1,100 deaths. 

So it's still a fair bit more per capita, but it's a lot closer. However, you would have to consider that you would have removed the most densely populated part of the US from consideration. So again, not exactly apples to apples. 

Most consider the population difference of Canada to the US as 10:1. 30 mil for Canada vs 300 mil for the US. 

In reality Canada's population is approaching 40 mil and if you take the states of New York and New Jersey from consideration, the US population goes below 300 mil. 

I'll concede this is a very cold and dispassionate discussion regarding the deaths of real people. 

Edited by Boges

On 4/14/2020 at 10:45 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump has always pinned his fate to the economy, so he has nothing more to lose if it all goes to hell anyway.

But if he can rebound and stabilize the economy before November, he gets the political credit.

And if he can't and millions die well then he's really no different than any other president in history. Presidents have been failing to prevent the deaths of millions of Americans on their watch for years now so...move along move along nothing to see here.

On 4/14/2020 at 8:52 AM, bush_cheney2004 said:

Maybe Trump's strategy is to force the governors to admit that they are primarily responsible for their states COVID actions instead of it being a federal domain.  

Isn't Trump saying he's taking charge in accordance with the same absolute authority he used to allow governors the authority to do what they wanted?  Apparently all he's really doing now is rescinding that so he can take full responsibility for acting from here on in.

Go Trump go.

1 hour ago, eyeball said:

Isn't Trump saying he's taking charge in accordance with the same absolute authority he used to allow governors the authority to do what they wanted?  Apparently all he's really doing now is rescinding that so he can take full responsibility for acting from here on in.

Trump never "allowed" the state shutdowns...just provided CDC and HHS guidance.   Governors have the lead at the state level.

Trump critics who demanded a national shutdown cannot have it both ways.

16 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Trump never "allowed" the state shutdowns...just provided CDC and HHS guidance.   Governors have the lead at the state level.

Trump critics who demanded a national shutdown cannot have it both ways.

Yes I realize governors have the lead. It's Trump who either doesn't know that or is hoping no one will notice he's trying to have it both ways.  Which one is it? 

1 minute ago, eyeball said:

Yes I realize governors have the lead. It's Trump who either doesn't know that or is hoping no one will notice he's trying to have it both ways.  Which one is it? 

It is both....federal and state having control of different domains that must cooperate, which is what the east and west coast governors are doing now.

Trump's objective is to get the economy back open, which is gaining more and more support each day.

How that happens is secondary to just getting it done.

The country should sit on its ass for a year surviving on "pogey".

2 hours ago, Boges said:

What happens if you remove New York and New Jersey Death Totals as of today from the rest of the US totals?

11,500 for New York
3,000 for New Jersey

That's 14,500. 

US totals are around 27,000

That's 12,500 deaths for the rest of the US. 

Canada has just over 1,100 deaths. 

So it's still a fair bit more per capita, but it's a lot closer. However, you would have to consider that you would have removed the most densely populated part of the US from consideration. So again, not exactly apples to apples. 

Most consider the population difference of Canada to the US as 10:1. 30 mil for Canada vs 300 mil for the US. 

In reality Canada's population is approaching 40 mil and if you take the states of New York and New Jersey from consideration, the US population goes below 300 mil. 

I'll concede this is a very cold and dispassionate discussion regarding the deaths of real people. 

The rest of the US, outside of NY and NJ, still has 10x our population. 

California has 2M more people than we do, and only 858 deaths. 

2 hours ago, Boges said:

I mentioned the GTA to dispute your point that Canada is some rural country that doesn't have to deal with population density issues. You could also consider other pockets of Ontario, Quebec, Alberta and BC

It's a rather moot point as people in both places are supposed to be staying home en masse. 

Canada doesn't have anything that compares to NYC. It's 1/5th of the population of our whole country in an area that's 1/9th the size of the GTA.

Pentagon barred from discussing Trump in JEDI contract probe

"investigators were unable to rule out whether the White House interfered with the contract award because DoD's general counsel instructed senior DoD witnesses not to verbally answer questions about communications between the White House and Pentagon because of “the assertion of a ‘presidential communications privilege.’”"

Trump didn't want Bezos to have the JEDI contract so they gave it to Microsoft.

Trump’s WHO cutoff sends officials, allies scrambling

"Bill Gates, the Microsoft founder and philanthropist who has pledged billions to help speed development of a coronavirus vaccine, tweeted that “halting funding for the World Health Organization during a world health crisis is as dangerous as it sounds.”"

But now Gates is bad mouthing Trump!

what is Trump to do?

1 hour ago, WestCanMan said:

The rest of the US, outside of NY and NJ, still has 10x our population. 

California has 2M more people than we do, and only 858 deaths. 

It has less than 10 times if you exclude New York and New Jersey. 

37 mil : 300 mil if you exclude New York and New Jersey.

California is doing comparatively well. But as noted earlier, they seem to be testing way lower per capita than other places. Texas too. 

Edited by Boges

1 hour ago, Boges said:

It has less than 10 times if you exclude New York and New Jersey. 

37 mil : 300 mil if you exclude New York and New Jersey.

California is doing comparatively well. But as noted earlier, they seem to be testing way lower per capita than other places. Texas too. 

California still has a larger population and substantially less deaths than we do. 

1 hour ago, godzilla said:

what is Trump to do?

If I was Trump I'd run around not giving a fork. Bill Gates is not a Dr and I don't want his vaccine, no matter how much he makes from it https://www.globalresearch.ca/big-pharma-and-big-profits-the-multibillion-dollar-vaccine-market/5503945

The WHO can suck it. We don't need their disinformation. They said "there's no human to human contamination, blocking international travel is bad, don't wear masks"........WTF? It's like their goal was to spread the virus as fast as they could. 

14 hours ago, WestCanMan said:

If I was Trump I'd run around not giving a fork. Bill Gates is not a Dr and I don't want his vaccine, no matter how much he makes from it https://www.globalresearch.ca/big-pharma-and-big-profits-the-multibillion-dollar-vaccine-market/5503945

The WHO can suck it. We don't need their disinformation. They said "there's no human to human contamination, blocking international travel is bad, don't wear masks"........WTF? It's like their goal was to spread the virus as fast as they could. 

Bill Gates ain't yer problem. 

Edited by Rue

Is it really TDS when Trump and his flunkies keep saying astronomically stupid things? 

In an appearance on Fox News Wednesday, White House counselor Kellyanne Conway falsely suggested the illness caused by the novel coronavirus is called COVID-19 because it is the 19th iteration of the disease.

Conway was asked on “Fox & Friends” about the president’s decision Tuesday to halt funding to the World Health Organization after he criticized the group for not doing enough to stop the spread of the virus when it first surfaced in China.

Some of the scientists and doctors say that there could be other strains later on, that this could come back in the fall in a limited way. This is COVID-19, not COVID-1, folks," Conway said. “You would think that people charged with the World Health Organization facts and figures would be on top of that.”

Edited by Boges

18 hours ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

It is both....federal and state having control of different domains that must cooperate, which is what the east and west coast governors are doing now.

Trump's objective is to get the economy back open, which is gaining more and more support each day.

How that happens is secondary to just getting it done.

The country should sit on its ass for a year surviving on "pogey".

Graduated return to work is being planned. Its tricky. You do not want to trigger a second wave while doing it. It is coming within the next 6 weeks but will vary depending on population size and density. Urban centres with large populations will have issues smaller towns do not.

Trump is not directly involved in this planning and never claimed he was. 

Edited by Rue

There's a cognitive dissonance with the eagerness to re-open the economy and the inability for reliable and accessible testing. 

For the economy to open again, getting a COVID-19 test should be as easy as getting a pregnancy test. 

Right now, only people with some symptoms are getting testing and they stab you in your brain with a cotton swab through your nose. 

Not a convenient testing method. Put all the effort into that. 

1 hour ago, godzilla said:

if you thought the US economy was taking a shit kicking... team Trump is just getting started!

Trump’s libertarian housing regulator refuses to bail out mortgage firms with public money

complete melt down to follow.

Not really.  It’s ultimately up to congress to act and provide legislation setting aside funds for this particular thing.  Same with funding to help states with budget shortfalls.  This is much ado about nothing.