Warning to All MLW Members - Fear and the Cronavirus

Guest ProudConservative

18 hours ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Nobody yet. 

And probably never will. This is beginning to look more like a manufactured hoax to me. Nothing is making any sense anymore. Children are supposed to be immune but they are closing down schools. No more golf tournaments yet they play outside. Constant 24 hour news every minute of every day on this so called pandemic. Scare the chit out of people enough, and repeat the danger over and over again, and they will start to believe anything you tell them. We see that with the shortage of toilet paper and bread in stores. If you do not believe in conspiracies well maybe you should start to do so.  We had SARS and H1N1 years ago, and there was no panic back then, and there was no shutting down the whole country like what is happening today. I could be wrong but hey, you never know, eh?       Question more. Good advice. :)

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, ProudConservative said:

I mean army guy said, it's just 3.5% of the population, cancer kills more. That's why I have no respect for the guy.

The common flu has a kill rate of 1.7 %, but it does not set off massive panic in the financial districts, nor shut down the country, we don't stop going to work, worry about the end is coming....no we stay in bed for a couple days and carry on ,shit ever go to a day care, it's one massive ball of germs, snotty nose kids every where touching everything in site....no body blinks an eye.... what makes this different is all the people that is panicking, buying out entire stores, of what ?  in our stores it's junk food was the first to go, pop , chips, chocolate bars... next was toilet paper, paper towel, the are just panic buying....instead they should be buying can goods, dry goods rice, oats, flour, powder milk, things that will not spoil, still lots of all that on the shelves, because that is what some media sites are spewing buy toilet paper because it will save you, you can't eat toilet paper , atleast I would not recommend it......

you should step back for a minute, take a breath, there is a lot that kills us everyday, be it cancer, drunk drivers, common colds, common flu, and nobody is grinding our entire way of living to a halt for any of them....this virus is going to kill people , it 's tragic, it happens everyday, but we don't let it control us...like this is... this is not the end of the world...panicking is only making it worse....

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

The common flu has a kill rate of 1.7 %,

That’s a high number. I’ve heard something more in the region of 0.1%. Our hospitals are stretched already. A flu-like illness that brings 10-20 times as many patients to the ICU could easily overwhelm the system and compromise care for everybody. 

17 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

The common flu has a kill rate of 1.7 %, but it does not set off massive panic in the financial districts, nor shut down the country,

This is not the common flu. And btw, the death rate from the flu is more like 0.1%-0.5%. More importantly, only about 1% of those with the flu need hospital admission. So far in Canada that figure is 13% with the covid-19 virus. This also appears to be more contagious, especially given no one has a vaccine or any other immunity.

Thus the risk of overwhelming hospital resources is much greater now. If that happens then obviously the death rate will rise as we have comparatively fewer respirators and other resources to fight it than other countries.

Edited by Argus

4 minutes ago, Argus said:

This is not the common flu. And btw, the death rate from the flu is more like 0.5%. More importantly, only about 1% of those with the flu need hospital admission. So far in Canada that figure is 13% with the covid-19 virus. This also appears to be more contagious, especially given no one has a vaccine or any other immunity.

Thus the risk of overwhelming hospital resources is much greater now. If that happens then obviously the death rate will rise as we have comparatively fewer respirators and other resources to fight it than other countries.

your right , i'm wrong,my info is old,  how ever the world average is 3.5 % for this new virus or so says cbc….and is that the new standard to bring the world to it's knees ? not nukes, not war, not climate change, or Chinese hackers but a flu type virous..... Two elderly people on one of the cruise ships said they barley felt sick after testing positive several times during their trip...So it does effect everyone differently....my point here is the panic is unheard off, people are running around with their hair on fire, like our resident PC guy ...should we be vigilant yes by all means, prepared by all means,  but sending everyone it to a tizzy is not the answer, nor is wrapping your self up in bubble wrap, and duck tape. getting into a bio hazard suit is over the top...

17 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

That’s a high number. I’ve heard something more in the region of 0.1%. Our hospitals are stretched already. A flu-like illness that brings 10-20 times as many patients to the ICU could easily overwhelm the system and compromise care for everybody. 

It’s all about timing.  Many could end up getting it, but if the flow of admissions is steady, we’ll manage okay.  Managing the flow while maintaining the economy.  

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Army Guy said:

your right , i'm wrong,my info is old,  how ever the world average is 3.5 % for this new virus or so says cbc….and is that the new standard to bring the world to it's knees ? not nukes, not war, not climate change, or Chinese hackers but a flu type virous..... Two elderly people on one of the cruise ships said they barley felt sick after testing positive several times during their trip...So it does effect everyone differently....my point here is the panic is unheard off, people are running around with their hair on fire, like our resident PC guy ...should we be vigilant yes by all means, prepared by all means,  but sending everyone it to a tizzy is not the answer, nor is wrapping your self up in bubble wrap, and duck tape. getting into a bio hazard suit is over the top...

Yes, his posts are mostly idiotic. But the government just barred all foreigners from entering Canada. Why do you think they did this for something that's 'just the flu'? Why are schools shut down? Why are businesses shutting down across the world? I've never seen anything like these kinds of government responses so you can hardly blame people for being shocked and frightened when everything the governments do and say tells them they ought to be.

Edited by Argus

Canada is barring all foreigners from entering Canada - except Americans. To my mind there's no justification for exempting Americans. More and more cases are of people who are coming from the US so it's obvious the disease is running rampant below the surface there, not noticed simply because of a lack of testing.

Just now, Argus said:

Yes, his posts are mostly idiotic. But the government just barred all foreigners from entering Canada. Why do you think they did this for something that's 'just the flu'? Why are schools shut down? Why are businesses shutting down across the world? I've never seen anything like these kinds of government responses so you can hardly blame people for being shocked and frightened.

Because these are government responses, it is them that set the tone, and provide the leadership, did you expect anything else from Justin, Sure liberals think Justin is handling this great...and yet how do we explain the stores being empty, where is the government telling everyone to be calm....stop hording toilet paper of all things, we are afraid of not having something to wipe our asses instead of the virous....

19 hours ago, Rue said:

No they will not. Try use common  sense. Old people and immune compromised people do not automatically die when you catch a cold or flu. Immune defficient people and the elderly live daily with the reality of catching an infection from far more than the Corona virus. Think just once.

This virus has not changed a damn thing. It is just another. It is not special. The best way to deal with a  virus if it's not serious which this one is not is in fact to let people catch it and get over it.

One of the things known about this virus is that elderlies with weaker immune system can die from this disease. It affects their lungs and the whole body can shut down. It is not the best way for this group of people to catch the virus and “get over it” as many countries now including UK advocates elderlies to stay at home. Covid.19 is not a cold or a flu and old people with existing condition have died from the disease. Infact, the data on mortality rates amongst 70+ is much higher worldwide, which does make this group vulnerable.

Edited by kactus

11 minutes ago, Argus said:

Canada is barring all foreigners from entering Canada - except Americans. To my mind there's no justification for exempting Americans. More and more cases are of people who are coming from the US so it's obvious the disease is running rampant below the surface there, not noticed simply because of a lack of testing.

At the press conference this afternoon with Freeland and Co., this question was repeatedly asked. Obviously, essential workers have to be allowed across, e.g. truck drivers, but why others? I wonder whether the US govt didn’t like the potential optics of their people being stopped at the border as potential biohazards. 

10 minutes ago, kactus said:

One of the things known about this virus is that elderlies with weaker immune system can die from this disease. It affects their lungs and the whole body can shut down. It is not the best way for this group of people to catch the virus and “get over it” as many countries now including UK advocates elderlies to stay at home. Covid.19 is not a cold or a flu and old people with existing condition have died from the disease. Infact, the data on mortality rates amongst 70+ is much higher worldwide, which dies make this group vulnerable.

Should be noted that it's not just old people in the hospitals on ventilators

What is happening in Italy is that they are having to triage now, taking the ventilator away from the oldest, in order to try to save the younger

So the old people are being disconnected first, that's why they are dying first, but those ventilators are being used on younger persons to keep them alive

2 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

Public health officials go through a baptism of fire on these occasions. A low stress job becomes an extremely high one where every word is scrutinized. 

It's not even PR now, in Italy they are having to tell people that they are going to die, and then they are unplugging them, one after the next.

They say that they've "never seen anything like it" 50-70 new causalities everyday, they just keep coming and they are being warehoused anywhere they can find to put them

So this is war now, that is combat medicine for all intents and purposes.

36 minutes ago, SpankyMcFarland said:

At the press conference this afternoon with Freeland and Co., this question was repeatedly asked. Obviously, essential workers have to be allowed across, e.g. truck drivers, but why others? I wonder whether the US govt didn’t like the potential optics of their people being stopped at the border as potential biohazards. 

Canada has far more to lose from a closed border if Trump does the same.  

There are over 500,000 Canadian snowbirds and many other legal residents in the U.S.

Canadians cross the border at twice the volume as Americans going to Canada, and the U.S. has 10X the population.

There is another level of panic to be breached here, if this sweeps over us like it is in Italy, there's going to be fear in the ranks.

That's simply when you have to remember where you come from, the story of your people.

At the Second Battle of Ypres, the French colonial troops fled in the face of the gas, the Canadians however,  counterattacked and held the line.

• Like 1

Guest ProudConservative
2 hours ago, Army Guy said:

I don't know if this is a bioweapon or not... They have had Indian scientist come out, and say they have found 4 RNA inserts that match the HIV virus. The author of the 1989 Bioterrorism act under George HW Bush, said this is a bioweapon, but he doesn't know who realized it. I see the Chinese government quarantine 700 billion people, while we wasted precious time trying to appease the domestic terrorists who were not happy with their welfare payments.

For all we know, this could be completely natural. I tried to have a debate about Canada producing biosuits for doctors, so if we do have another pandemic we stand a chance. You call my ideas panic pushing, and that I should be in a strait jacket. Have you ever scratched you head, and thought that maybe the government knows something they're not telling us. Why is it taking a month for 30% of the infected cruise passengers to recover? You don't even have your numbers right on the fatality rate of the flu. Well i'm not happy about Canada being shut down. If the government took this seriously in January, they could of quickly retooled the factories and had some bio suits ready for the doctors. The cost of a biosuit, is far cheaper, than the cost of payroll. It would of payed for itself in a days wage.

Where is the common sense? We promote safe sex? Why can't anyone be able to wear comfortable protection during a pandemic? We don't need those $5000 outfits used in labs. Just something to significantly reduce infections, to the point where the virus burns itself out.

Edited by ProudConservative

Guest ProudConservative
3 hours ago, Army Guy said:

It's the fracking flu...not the plague moron

Hey Charles Anthony. I don't see this guy being warned for his abusive behavior? Do the regulars get special treatment? Where's the red marks on his profile?

Edited by ProudConservative

6 hours ago, Argus said:

They help. And if everyone wears them they help a lot, though more by helping prevent people who have the disease from spreading it than anything else.

Using your logic everyone should wear a hazard suit all the time given the infinite no. of germs in the air. You are panicking and not being rational.

Guest ProudConservative

There you go Argus seems to get it! I always thought he had some common sense. If the sick people wear them, it significantly reduces the infection rate, decreasing exponential growth dramatically.

6 hours ago, Argus said:

I read the other day that Italy's first case was a 38 year old amateur athlete in perfect health. Yeah, he survived - after 3 weeks on a ventilator in hospital. But I don't think that suggests everyone is fine except for the elderly.

You do not have the athlete's pre existing medical history and neither does the media. You also have zeromproof hecwas the first case. He may have been the first reported case. You provide classic examples of how hysteria is spread.