NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Now let's see if he can get Kawhi to stay,  I don't think Kawhi is gonna be up for being stuck in high tax frozen Canada for the next five years, but might be able to get him on a 1+1 to defend the title and try to repeat, since pretty much everybody else is still under contract for at least one more year.

If the Raptors can get Kawhi and Masai locked up, they should be the favorites to win next year, and could be a top end contender for a while, fingers crossed.

9 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

If the Raptors can get Kawhi and Masai locked up, they should be the favorites to win next year, and could be a top end contender for a while, fingers crossed.

If I was him I wouldn't sign in Toronto nor LA neither, both are fifty plus percent tax jurisdictions, I'd sign in a free state like Florida where it's only forty percent, the savings on a max contract deal would be in the tens of millions.

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

If I was him I wouldn't sign in Toronto nor LA neither, both are fifty plus percent tax jurisdictions, I'd sign in a free state like Florida where it's only forty percent, the savings on a max contract deal would be in the tens of millions.

Toronto is the only team that can offer him the super max though, not signing here would be passing on tens of millions, and have less insurance in case of injury. So leaving Toronto wouldn't actually be about the money, Toronto can actually pay him more than anyone else can, despite the higher tax rate, thanks to the NBA CBA.

Edited by Yzermandius19

16 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Toronto is the only team that can offer him the super max though, not signing here would be passing on tens of millions, and have less insurance in case of injury. So leaving Toronto wouldn't actually be about the money, Toronto can actually pay him more than anyone else can, despite the higher tax rate, thanks to the NBA CBA.

I'm assuming he doesn't want to live in Canada for the next five years, I'll be jubilant, but none the less stunned if he signs the max contract with Toronto.

Edited by Dougie93

13 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'm assuming he doesn't want to live in Canada for the next five years, I'll jubilant, but none the less stunned if he sign the max contract with Toronto.

Maybe he doesn't, but Toronto is the only team who can give him that fifth year, all other teams can only do four. With his injury history, taking the extra year makes a lot of sense money wise, if he gets hurt and isn't in his prime after four years, he'll have passed on a lot money by not signing in Toronto.

I have no idea what criteria he's using to make his decision, but the money factor doesn't work against Toronto like it would in other sports, so that certainly helps. If weather is the top criteria, the Raptors are screwed, if he wants to play in New York or LA, the Raptors are screwed, if it's money and insurance against injury, the Raptors are the best choice, if it's winning another championship, The Raptors are a good choice if Masai doesn't get poached.

I hear it's basically going to come down to the Raptors, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks and Nets, only really five teams realistically in the running, and only one of them who can offer him the super max, and that's the Raptors.

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 hours ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Maybe he doesn't, but Toronto is the only team who can give him that fifth year, all other teams can only do four. With his injury history, taking the extra year makes a lot of sense money wise, if he gets hurt and isn't in his prime after four years, he'll have passed on a lot money by not signing in Toronto.

I have no idea what criteria he's using to make his decision, but the money factor doesn't work against Toronto like it would in other sports, so that certainly helps. If weather is the top criteria, the Raptors are screwed, if he wants to play in New York or LA, the Raptors are screwed, if it's money and insurance against injury, the Raptors are the best choice, if it's winning another championship, The Raptors are a good choice if Masai doesn't get poached.

I hear it's basically going to come down to the Raptors, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks and Nets, only really five teams realistically in the running, and only one of them who can offer him the super max, and that's the Raptors.

Near as I can tell, the "super" max contract only adds one more year and is $38 million a year instead of $35 million, so doesn't seem that super, particularly when his marginal tax rate in Ontario will be 53% and could soon be raised to 55%.

So your net take home pay in Ontario is $18 million on a $38 million contract, in Florida you're taking home $21 million on a $35 million contract.

Over four years you're taking home an extra $12 million which is two thirds of the fifth year right there, plus it's  Florida and not a frozen shit hole.

Edited by Dougie93

43 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Near as I can tell, the "super" max contract only adds one more year and is $38 million a year instead of $35 million, so doesn't seem that super, particularly when his marginal tax rate in Ontario will be 53% and could soon be raised to 55%.

So your net take home pay in Ontario is $18 million on a $38 million contract, in Florida you're taking home $21 million on a $35 million contract.

Over four years you're taking home an extra $12 million which is two thirds of the fifth year right there, plus it's  Florida and not a frozen shit hole.

True but he doesn't want to go to Florida, and even if he did, that's still $6 million less than Toronto can offer. Like I say, it's down to the Raptors, Clippers, Lakers, Knicks and Nets. LA has the hometown and weather advantage, on the Lakers he is in LeBron's shadow, and on the Clippers he has less of a chance of winning a title than in Toronto. The weather in New York is similar and both teams suck compared to the Raptors. 

So chances of Kawhi staying are actually not as low as you think. The Clippers or Lakers might poach him because of the hometown factor, and the Knicks or Nets might poach him because he can live near his uncle, but it won't be a money thing, that I can tell you.

If he passes on The Raptors, he'll be turning down a lot of money, it might still be worth it to him, but if it's all about the money, he's staying.

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

So chances of Kawhi staying are actually not as low as you think.

Well I'm certainly not eager to run him out of town, but in the end he's golden no matter what, if he wants to go back to America, more power to him, I can go back to ignoring the Raptors, I only have a Leafs addiction, I doesn't extend to any of the other Toronto sports teams.

4 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Well I'm certainly not eager to run him out of town, but in the end he's golden no matter what, if he wants to go back to America, more power to him, I can go back to ignoring the Raptors, I only have a Leafs addiction, I doesn't extend to any of the other Toronto sports teams.

Yeah, he'll be my favorite NBA player no matter what he does. If he wants to go LA or NY, I can't hold it against him, The Threepeat Killer can do as he damn well pleases, he's gold no matter what. If he wants to go to the team with the best combo of chance to win and getting paid though, than Toronto is actually his best option of the five options it's been narrowed down to.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Broberg goes eighth. figured the Oilers would reach and take him. Teams who need Defense be reaching on them, I love it, works out perfectly for the Avs at 16. Thanks Detroit and Edmonton, hopefully it makes everyone else who needs defense panic to get their guy as well, fingers crossed.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Teams who need Defense be reaching on them, I love it, works out perfectly for the Avs at 16. Thanks Detroit and Edmonton, hopefully it makes everyone else who needs defense panic to get their guy as well, fingers crossed.

Did you see Broberg's mom?  Woof-woof, what a Swedish Milf.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    nyralucas

• Jeary earned a badge
      One Month Later
    • Venandi went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • Gaétan earned a badge
      Very Popular
    • Dictatords earned a badge