NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Fair enough, but for me to determine the winner of the bangable sweepstakes, it would come down to the asses, cute first, ass second, in the order of things.

Indeed, we got no ass shots, so that could swing things considerably. Also my top two criteria as well.

Edited by Yzermandius19

4 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Arthur Kaliyev slips out of the first. Avs should trade up to get him and win the draft even more than they already have. He ain't gonna fall to 47.

Byram and Newhook is sick, dude.

Member way back when, I was telling you about Newhook?

Telling you guy, he's gonna be a scoring machine, watch the release, smooth as glass, laser accurate, skating is elite, sniper and playmaker, and he stick handles in a phone booth with ease, plus he's a Newfie, so he's hard as the rock, so bullish on Newhook, he's one of my favorites.

1 minute ago, Dougie93 said:

Byram and Newhook is sick, dude.

Member way back when, I was telling you about Newhook?

Telling you guy, he's gonna be a scoring machine, watch the release, smooth as glass, laser accurate, skating is elite, sniper and playmaker, and he stick handles in a phone booth with ease, plus he's a Newfie, so he's hard as the rock, so bullish on Newhook, he's one of my favorites.

Yeah they crushed it already, and I remember you telling me about Newhook for like a year, steal of a 16th pick. Putting the cherry on top by fleecing Ottawa again and drafting Kaliyev at the top of the second round, would make it all the sweeter.

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Yeah they crushed it already, and I remember you telling me about Newhook for like a year, steal of a 16th pick. Putting the cherry on top by fleecing Ottawa again and drafting Kaliyev at the top of the second round, would make it all the sweeter.

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Love the offense, what his defensive game like?

No problemo, he kills penalties too.

He's got it all, he's dedicated, he's a leader, he's going to college, but it's like Makar, he'll be playing in the league sooner than later.

I doubt Kaliyev is falling to the Avs in the second round, but Newhook's line mate Alex Campbell could be available, ranked 42nd, he's skinny, but he's going to college so he'll fill out.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

No problemo, he kills penalties too.

He's got it all, he's dedicated, he's a leader, he's going to college, but it's like Makar, he'll be playing in the league sooner than later.

I doubt Kaliyev is falling to the Avs in the second round, but Newhook's line mate Alex Campbell could be available, ranked 42nd, he's skinny, but he's going to college so he'll fill out.

Sweet, you being so bullish on Newhook has me hyped up right now.

No way Kaliyev drops to 47, that's why I want the Avs to trade up, we got an extra third rounder, would be worth trading a pick to move up and get him.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

Sweet, you being so bullish on Newhook has me hyped up right now.

Get hyped, I mean, he's a strong defensive player, he's got the hockey IQ, he's two way,  all that offense, and he's the shut down center as well, frankly he could play in the NHL right now.

Kaliyev has a low floor but real high ceiling, if he reaches that ceiling, he could be a perennial 40 goal scorer, I say take that home run swing. He's got the best shot in the draft after Caufield.

Definitely worth the risk, especially in the second round, him slipping out of the first is the league being retarded. Goals don't grow on trees, a lot of teams are way too worried about him being a potential bust if you ask me.

Edited by Yzermandius19

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I wouldn't actually rule Newhook out as making the team in camp this year, he's that complete, he was at one point assumed to be a superstar in the making, the ceiling is that high, could easily end up being the steal of this draft.

Why did he drop so much? I don't get how he fell that far on so many teams draft boards, what's the deal there?

2 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Why did he drop so much? I don't get how he fell that far on so many teams draft boards, what's the deal there?

I'd say because he's Junior A BCHL, and his regular season production wasn't as spectacular as expected.

But he led the BCHL playoffs in scoring, something like 24 points in 15 games.

That's why he's a steal tho, I think he could be the next Brayden Point.

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I'd say because he's Junior A BCHL, and his regular season production wasn't as spectacular as expected.

But he led the BCHL playoffs in scoring, something like 24 points in 15 games.

That's why he's a steal tho, I think he could be the next Brayden Point.

Brayden Point 2.0 and Morgan Rielly 2.0 in the same draft, if they both hit their ceilings, Avs will be a top contender for a while to come.

It's fairly safe to say the Avs won this draft.
<flexes>

Edited by Yzermandius19

6 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Brayden Point 2.0 and Morgan Rielly 2.0 in the same draft, if they both hit their ceilings, Avs will be a top contender for a while to come.

I think Jost's struggles hurt Newhook's ranking, people assume that because Jost scored more points in the BCHL and is now struggling in the NHL to produce, that's gonna be Newhook too, but Jost has some sort of mental block, you saw him light it up at the World's,  so we know he has skill, Jost just seems to be passive in the NHL, he floats, but I don't think Newhook is going to be like that,  my prediction is the GM's are sleeping on Newhook because they think he's gonna be Jost 2.0 coming from the BCHL, but Newhook and Jost are very different animals, Newhook is more two way complete, tougher, fearless, like Brayden Point.

Edited by Dougie93

I predict that Newhook will not only take Jost's spot as the 2C at some point, I think they might play Jost on his wing and Newhook will make Jost better, Newhook is a take charge kind of player, goes back, gets the puck, carries it, and drives the net, he's mentally tough, he's physically tough, he's a leader, and that's kind of what Jost needs to play with to get him going.

See, Jost seems to be a bit like Willy Nylander, on the big ice in Europe Jost was lighting it up, back in the NHL he fades, so Jost's problem is probably that he's just soft.

That's why Newhook is not Jost 2.0, because Newhook is hard, put Newhook with Jost, Newhook will make room for him and set him up too.

Jost may have put up more points in Junior A, but Newhook is way, way better defensively, way more complete, one of Jost's problems is that he doesn't go and get the puck, he floats and waits for someone else to take charge, Newhook is the opposite, he's like a dog on a bone, defense generates offense by getting the puck and keeping it, that Jost doesn't do well, whereas that's what Newhook is all about, again, Brayden Point like that way.

I wouldn't quit on Jost anymore than I would quit on Willy Nylander, but it takes guys like that longer to adjust to the grind in the NHL, whereas Newhook is a grinder already, so I think he will make the adjustment much quicker.

Edited by Dougie93

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

How quick will Byram make the jump do you think? Also how likely is he to hit that Morgan Rielly like offensive upside?

Well the Leafs rushed Rielly, so Rielly actually took awhile to recover from being thrown in too soon, but the Avs won't do that, so I think  Byram might progress quicker than Rielly did by not being thrown to the wolves right away, but I project Byram to be a 1D and the skies the limit really, he's got it all, he does it all, he's in Rielly's class offensively, and he could be better than Rielly defensively, ceiling is unlimited, Norris trophy winner is not implausible.

Bear in mind what shitty teams Reilly was playing on, with shitty coaches, Rielly is just now breaking out, and the super team around him is a big part of that, Byram on the other hand will be stepping into a super team, like we discussed earlier in the season, Byram - Makar is mind blowing, could become one of the most dominant pairs in the league.

Could be hall of fame material ffs.  It's two number one studs, playing together, with MacKinnon and Rantanen, it's the Golden State Warriors on ice.

Edited by Dougie93

The only problem I foresee for the Avs is salary cap, because Makar and Byram could both be superstars, gots to get rid of some of these bums, Johnson has to go, Cole has to go, Barrie has to go too, don't need them, you're gonna need that cap room very soon.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    DACHSHUND

• babetteteets went up a rank
      Rookie
    • paradox34 went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • paradox34 earned a badge
      Week One Done
    • phoenyx75 earned a badge