NHL General Thread

QuebecOverCanada

17 minutes ago, Truth Detector said:

I wish they would get off to better starts though.  They always seems to go down 2 - 0 every game.

Which would be scary if I was facing them in the playoffs; they spot teams big leads, then blow by them with ease as soon as they get the puck deep and hound it with heavy shifts.

If the Buds get hot come the playoffs, and get the bounces from the Hockey Gods, they will win the Cup.

If they don't, they won't.  Try again next season, still in the window.

The best thing about that game; Frederik Gauthier playing like the 21st overall pick big and heavy defensive center that he was selected to be.

Three Leaf first round picks, plus John Tavares at center, Bill Nylander as a spare,  is team building the way it is supposed to be done.

In Dubeezus I trust

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
1 hour ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Dubas is probably looking to draft an underrated RHD in the second round I'm assuming, especially when they are looking to move Zaitsev. Any thoughts on who they could be targeting?

Well, Kaeden Korczak from the Kelowna Rockets certainly fits the bill, but I doubt he's going to drop as far as 53rd for the Leafs.  That's the only RHD that comes to mind, as usual there ain't many righties to be had.

9 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Looking like the Avs are going to pass on Byram, probably going to take Dach or Turcotte. Hoping that Podkolzhin falls to 16, like in Craig Button's Mock Draft, that would be pretty sick.

It's gonna be pretty sick no matter what, two picks, top five and top twenty, and this is in a year where you went to the second round, Pierre Dorion, the gift that keeps on giving.

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's gonna be pretty sick no matter what, two picks, top five and top twenty, and this is in a year where you went to the second round, Pierre Dorion, the gift that keeps on giving.

Someone real good is probably going to fall to 16, because NHL teams are stupid, so it's probably going to be an above average 16th overall pick. A solid 2C to play behind MacKinnon and probably someone who should have gone in the top ten but fell, that's quite the haul.

Mad hype.

Edited by Yzermandius19

It's going to be hella interesting Leafs wise no matter what, because they have to make a trade.

Surprisingly Patty Marleau is not only willing to be traded he actually wants to go, I guess the Marleau clan is sick of Canadian winter because they've already gone back to Cali.

That's still not going to be enough cap room tho, so others will be going too, apparently they're willing to take a pick for Connor Brown just to get his $2 mil off the books.

To get rid of Marleau is going to cost them something.   Getting rid of Zaitsev is going to cost them something.   Two Phones bad contracts, the gift that keeps on giving.

Edited by Dougie93

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

It's going to be hella interesting Leafs wise no matter what, because they have to make a trade.

Surprisingly Patty Marleau is not only willing to be traded he actually wants to go, I guess the Marleau clan is sick of Canadian winter because they've already gone back to Cali.

That's still not going to be enough cap room tho, so others will be going too, apparently they're willing to take a pick for Connor Brown just to get his $2 mil off the books.

To get rid of Marleau is going to cost them something.   Getting rid of Zaitsev is going to cost them something.   Two Phones bad contracts, the gift that keeps on giving.

Lower than expected cap too, moves will need to be made for sure, thanks to Two Phone's Overpays.

Edited by Yzermandius19

5 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Lower than expected cap too, moves will need to be made for sure, thanks to Two Phone's Overpays.

I don't like the current configuration anyways, outside of the franchise players, everybody is expendable, Kapanen, Johnsson, whatever, they're committed to their core franchise players now, the supporting cast is interchangeable,  might as well see what Marlies can be brought in at camp too.   It's stale, they need a shake up.

2 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

I don't like the current configuration anyways, outside of the franchise players, everybody is expendable, Kapanen, Johnsson, whatever, they're committed to their core franchise players now, the supporting cast is interchangeable,  might as well see what Marlies can be brought in at camp too.   It's stale, they need a shake up.

Good thing is with the $81.5 - $82 million cap, lots of team will be looking to make deals, and with Karlsson signing, the UFA defense market is shallow as f*ck, which could make it easier to deal Zaitsev than originally anticipated. So the ability to shake things up will be there, it's just up to Dubas to pull the trigger and make some deals.

8 minutes ago, Yzermandius19 said:

Good thing is with the $81.5 - $82 million cap, lots of team will be looking to make deals, and with Karlsson signing, the UFA defense market is shallow as f*ck, which could make it easier to deal Zaitsev than originally anticipated. So the ability to shake things up will be there, it's just up to Dubas to pull the trigger and make some deals.

The main thing is that they have cured themselves of the Leafs disease and have become one of the best if not the best internal development team in the league now, after decades of Leaf diseasery, that in of itself is what I am enjoying. Whether or not they win the Cup is really up to the Hockey Gods, but since they are doing things right, they will remain a competitive and relevant franchise, I don't think they're ever going back to Harold Ballardville now.

Edited by Dougie93

Gotta love the Sharks overpaying aging and injury prone defensemen and giving them huge term, even when their window is essentially closed and they are trying to cling to relevance. The schadenfreude is delicious, F*ck San Josberta.

$26.5 million tied up in three defensemen, for the next six years, who are only going to go downhill. So jokes, what a clown show.

Edited by Yzermandius19

3 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about Karlsson.  

I haven't actually been paying any attention to hockey lately, I've been all Raptors all the time, still basking in the glory of Kawhi and beating Golden State.

Yeah that Raptors run was epic, Kawhi The Threepeat Killer, gotta love the King of the North, even if he won't be in the North that much longer.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Yeah that Raptors run was epic, Kawhi The Threepeat Killer, gotta love the King of the North, even if he won't be in the North that much longer.

One season of Kawhi was all worth it and then some, I wasn't expecting to beat the Warriors, although when KD went down I started to hope.

It's still a little hard to believe actually, the Basketball Gods loves them some Masai apparently.

Edited by Dougie93

7 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

One season of Kawhi was all worth it and then some, I wasn't expecting to beat the Warriors, although when Draymond went down I started to hope.

When Klay tweaked his hamstring and I knew KD wouldn't be back, and if he did, it would be a huge mistake, I knew the Basketball Gods were with the Raptors. Then KD tears his achilles with the desperation comeback in Game 5 (which I said would happen before the game), and in Game 6 Klay tears his ACL playing through the hammy injury, and I knew Golden State was screwed.

Five straight years in the finals left the Warriors decimated by injuries throughout the lineup, Looney, Iguodala and Cousins banged up too, that team was so jacked up.
#LoadManagement

One season of Kawhi FTW
#WeTheForest

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

When Klay tweaked his hamstring and I knew KD wouldn't be back, and if he did, it would be a huge mistake, I knew the Basketball Gods were with the Raptors. Then KD tears his achilles with the desperation comeback in Game 5, and in Game 6 Klay tears his ACL, and I knew Golden State was screwed. Five straight years left the Warriors decimated by injuries throughout the lineup, Looney, Iguodala and Cousins banged up too, that team was so jacked up.

One season of Kawhi FTW
#WeTheForest

lol.

Plant Guy will go down in Toronto sports history, Koactus is a thing.

Should point out tho, same as with Shanny to the Leafs, this is all thanks to Tim Leiweke, the forgotten architect of everything. 

Yeah, Masai is da man now, but I was singing his praises the moment he made the trade, 24 years I pretty much ignored the Raptors because you can't win in the NBA without a superstar and the Raptors never had one before, then they go out and one of the greatest of all time, in his prime.

8 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Yeah, Masai is da man now, but I was singing his praises the moment he made the trade, 24 years I pretty much ignored the Raptors because you can't win in the NBA without a superstar and the Raptors never had one before, then they go out and one of the greatest of all time, in his prime.

I think about him every night and day,
He made DeRozan go away.
I believe he can soar,
Brought Kawhi Leonard through that open door.

Masai is a god. Best GM in basketball, if the Raptors let anyone poach him, and don't give him the world, they are morons.

I don't know why any GM would even make a trade with Masai, all he does is fleece idiot GMs with every move and they still haven't caught on. It's not even just the Kawhi trade, he has done it repeatedly long before that crown jewel was added, the Spurs should have seen the fleecing coming, but Kawhi forced their hand and Masai exploited the shit out them.

Edited by Yzermandius19

I think about him every night and day,
He made DeRozan go away.
I believe he can soar,
Brought Kawhi Leonard through that open door.

Masai is a god. Best GM in basketball, if the Raptors let anyone poach him, and don't give him the world, they are morons.

I don't know why any GM would even make a trade with Masai, all he does is fleece idiot GMs with every move and they still haven't caught on.

Yeah, I mean, San Antonio could have won again with Kawhi, they panicked when he sat out and blew themselves up. 

Like Kawhi said, he wasn't coming back until he 100% because he wasn't going to risk the big picture, San Antonio then runs him out of town.  Whut?

6 minutes ago, Dougie93 said:

Yeah, I mean, San Antonio could have won again with Kawhi, they panicked when he sat out and blew themselves up. 

Like Kawhi said, he wasn't coming back until he 100% because he wasn't going to risk the big picture, San Antonio then runs him out of town.  Whut?

He didn't get high draft picks either, Masai built the whole team through fleecing other GMs via trade, making the most of non-lottery picks, signing the right guys in free agency and having the balls to fire the Coach of the Year. 

Pure skill as GM, with so little to work with when he arrived, he's the King of the Rebuild, doesn't even need high draft picks to do it either. Absolutely remarkable, Best GM in all of sports, I don't even think the next best GM is close to him, truly next level GMing. Yzerman wishes he was as good as Masai.

Edited by Yzermandius19

Just now, Yzermandius19 said:

He didn't get high draft picks either, Masai built the whole team through fleecing other GMs via trade, and making the most of non-lottery picks, and signing the right guys in free agency. Pure skill as GM, with so little to work with when he arrived, he's the King of the Rebuild, doesn't even need high draft picks to do it either. He might even be the best GM in all of sports.

Now let's see if he can get Kawhi to stay,  I don't think Kawhi is gonna be up for being stuck in high tax frozen Canada for the next five years, but might be able to get him on a 1+1 to defend the title and try to repeat, since pretty much everybody else is still under contract for at least one more year.

• Tell a friend

Love Repolitics.com - Political Discussion Forums? Tell a friend!
  • Member Statistics

• Total Members
    • Most Online

Newest Member
    paradox34

• User went up a rank
      Apprentice
    • paradox34 went up a rank
      Rookie
    • User earned a badge
      Collaborator
    • User went up a rank