Saudi Arabia expells Canadian ambassador

57 minutes ago, Wilber said:

Why? You don't agree with her? 

Yes, I do agree with her political opinion.

What's there not to agree with?   Canada is alone on this.

Here’s why Canadian allies are keeping their mouths shut in dispute with Saudi Arabia

https://globalnews.ca/news/4376037/canada-saudi-arabia-dispute-united-states-silent/

U.S. refuses to back Canada in Saudi Arabia dispute

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/politics/article-us-sidesteps-getting-involved-in-escalating-saudi-canada-dispute/

Edited by betsy

9 minutes ago, Wilber said:

So you weren't just 

I was repeating what she said - and that seemed to have triggered you off.  Don't tell me - you're one of the progressive exploding  heads?  All anyone has to do is mention Trump - and, boom! :lol:

I was surprised that Carole Mcneil didn't challenge when she said, "without the protection of the USA.....blah-blah-blah....."  That doesn't mean just Trump!

But, things seems to be different now.  Why, you think nations had already forgotten that Trump and Trudeau aren't exactly friends?  They didn't hear about the G7 summit  fall-out?

Edited by betsy
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, bush_cheney2004 said:

Why is Trudeau and his sunshine band looking for support from a Trump government that they have also publicly expressed disdain for ?

That's just doubling down on stupid.

....and, they're surprised too,  that they're not getting his support!  :lol:

Edited by betsy

9 minutes ago, Wilber said:

We should be getting support from the US but Trump has made it clear he doesn't support anyone, particularly his western allies. No real surprise there.

The U.S. is even more ethically compromised where Saudi Arabia is concerned than is Canada. The KSA autocracy warranted Trump's first foreign visit following his inauguration and reportedly about $300 billion in U.S. arms sales to the kingdom provide a massive disincentive to prompt any, well, principled U.S. response. And the KSA is a prime American ally against Iran in the region, so geopolitical issues come into play. American policy is seldom based on actual principles unless monetary gain counts as a principle. The main issue for America is shoring up its interests. Canada, on the other hand, has few real interests where the KSA and/or the broader region are concerned.

17 hours ago, cannuck said:

When I walk through the terminal in Riyadh and see the big sign:  "the penalty for dealing drugs is death" I get a case of the warm fuzzies.  It is also a sharp reminder that  'Toto, I've a feeling we're not in Kansas anymore.'

What our dear leaders in Canada and America should be doing to combat this drug epidemic that both countries are having today and the atrocities that are being committed in the name of drugs our dear leaders should make the death penalty apply to those who sell drugs like they do in Saudi Arabia and Singapore. Anyone caught with a certain amount of illegal drugs gets the death penalty. Sadly Toto, we are all living in Kansas. 

The rest of the world has turned its back on this, not supporting Canada in its position. Gee, I wonder why... mere words that do nothing vs. billions in trade agreements and business contracts? Only a moron would take that ideological position.

UK official statement-
Earlier this week, the British Foreign Office issued just a three-line statement that read in part: "Canada and Saudi Arabia are both close partners … and we urge restraint."

Diplomat says Canada may need to get used to being alone on world stage

• Like 1

On 8/8/2018 at 8:42 PM, Wilber said:

We trade more with the US in two days than we do with the Saudis in a whole year. 

This can hurt in more ways than one. Saudi's pulling their students out of Canadian universities is forecast to cost upwards of $400M dollars.
Link

That does not consider the impact of the loss of medical students who are working as residents. This will affect some areas more acutely than others.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turningrite said:

The U.S. is even more ethically compromised where Saudi Arabia is concerned than is Canada. The KSA autocracy warranted Trump's first foreign visit following his inauguration and reportedly about $300 billion in U.S. arms sales to the kingdom provide a massive disincentive to prompt any, well, principled U.S. response. And the KSA is a prime American ally against Iran in the region, so geopolitical issues come into play. American policy is seldom based on actual principles unless monetary gain counts as a principle. The main issue for America is shoring up its interests. Canada, on the other hand, has few real interests where the KSA and/or the broader region are concerned.

Ethically compromised. Exactly.  Some here think it is a virtue. 

52 minutes ago, OftenWrong said:

This can hurt in more ways than one. Saudi's pulling their students out of Canadian universities is forecast to cost upwards of $400M dollars.
Link

That does not consider the impact of the loss of medical students who are working as residents. This will affect some areas more acutely than others.

Lots of people want to study here. Locals don't call UBC the University of a Billion Chinese for nothing.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, turningrite said:

The U.S. is even more ethically compromised where Saudi Arabia is concerned than is Canada. 

US election donation laws are so limited that foreign governments, be they the Saudis or the Russians, can funnel millions into the campaign chests of politicians to buy their favour. I'm quite certain the Saudis have bought control of any number of US senators and congressmen, in addition to their fat, pasty faced president, who went there to grovel before the Saudi king.

Freeland is a bright and strong politician who has taken a principled stance on a number of issues.  I say that as a conservative.  People are taking a lot of unfair cheap shots at both her and Trudeau.  I think it's mostly about Trudeau calling himself a feminist, showing solidarity with the LGBTQ community, welcoming refugees, and generally being a progressive.  Millennials are a lot more receptive to Trudeau than older generations.  I find him to be ridiculously politically correct at times and a showboat.  He's pulled some stunts for sure.  His governments is too interventionist.  What's more, he won't let members of his caucus vote with their conscience on certain issues.  The honeymoon certainly ended between the Canadian people and his government.  Having said all of that, there has been an unfair pile-on recently with Trudeau as he reacted to events like the steel and aluminum tariff or the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia the way that just about any PM would.  On those matters I think Canadians should rally around the PM.  

7 hours ago, Zeitgeist said:

Freeland is a bright and strong politician who has taken a principled stance on a number of issues.  I say that as a conservative.  People are taking a lot of unfair cheap shots at both her and Trudeau.  I think it's mostly about Trudeau calling himself a feminist, showing solidarity with the LGBTQ community, welcoming refugees, and generally being a progressive.  Millennials are a lot more receptive to Trudeau than older generations.  I find him to be ridiculously politically correct at times and a showboat.  He's pulled some stunts for sure.  His governments is too interventionist.  What's more, he won't let members of his caucus vote with their conscience on certain issues.  The honeymoon certainly ended between the Canadian people and his government.  Having said all of that, there has been an unfair pile-on recently with Trudeau as he reacted to events like the steel and aluminum tariff or the human rights violations in Saudi Arabia the way that just about any PM would.  On those matters I think Canadians should rally around the PM.  

It's really about their hypocrisy. 

Trudeau talks about violations of human rights - and infringement on free speech - which, he's guilty of, himself!

In this country, you cannot voice your own negative criticism of  a particular religion (Islam), nor can you adhere openly to your views as a pro-lifer without being punished!  

Anti-abortion activities, projects ineligible for Canada’s revamped youth service program

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/news/politics/anti-abortion-activities-projects-ineligible-for-canadas-revamped-youth-service-program/article37630131/

Pro-choice? For MPs, Trudeau’s edict is no-choice

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/opinion/pro-choice-its-no-choice/article18623038/

He's a dictator!

The democratic Canada that I know, doesn't pick and choose on people - everyone is treated equally before the law! 

Yeah, unlike other dictators, he doesn't behead, but he sure knows how to hurt them!   Same thing.  He's trampling on people's right to religion and free expression. 

How can he stand before the world and talk about his stance against human rights violators?   He's a violator himself!

He thinks everyone is daft - with very short memory?

Edited by betsy